Null



AlaskanFAN

Brown 4th Tiger to enter draft

Recommended Posts

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

It gives the kid the option of coming back and the coach gets the kid for one more year. By this time of the year the chances of finding an equal replacement are pretty low for the coach. Even if you get a Grad transfer with equal talent they have to learn a new system.

Yes, but what about the team that drafted them.  They get screwed over.  I mean it is one thing if you are a 6\7th rounder but if you leave it to the kid to decide then I think it could get messy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Just now, LKEEL75 said:

Yes, but what about the team that drafted them.  They get screwed over.  I mean it is one thing if you are a 6\7th rounder but if you leave it to the kid to decide then I think it could get messy

Maybe but it's pretty well established that only first round picks make it in basketball.....any other guy who signs an NBA deal is gonna be out of work and out of eligibility in a year......so if he ends up playing at all, it will end up overseas.

NBA teams likely don't spend any time with lower draft picks and the player association contract is designed to protect existing players.....not eager young neophytes who think they can earn a spot on a team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Yes, but what about the team that drafted them.  They get screwed over.  I mean it is one thing if you are a 6\7th rounder but if you leave it to the kid to decide then I think it could get messy

6 or 7th rounder? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alexava said:

6 or 7th rounder? 

Was thinking more on football side not basketball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2018 at 9:14 AM, boomstick said:

What’s happening to the roster?

we got like 13 people declaring lol, I doubt any of them come back if they're all declaring at the same time lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

we got like 13 people declaring lol, I doubt any of them come back if they're all declaring at the same time lol 

Do you even understand what's going on? The are not "declaring". They are going to a session for evaluation and advice. All except Heron will probably be back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Do you even understand what's going on? The are not "declaring". They are going to a session for evaluation and advice. All except Heron will probably be back.

Except it's called declaring. You can't just show up to get evaluated, you have to declare for the draft. You can then remove your name from the draft if you don't get a favorable evaluation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WDEKC said:

Except it's called declaring. You can't just show up to get evaluated, you have to declare for the draft. You can then remove your name from the draft if you don't get a favorable evaluation.

There has to be some kind of filtering process...otherwise you have a thousand kids show up for evaluation.  Meanwhile the sleaze merchants are taking names and making contact with "prospects".  This is basketball after....odds of everything being on the up and up is small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I declare! What s going on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mikey said:

Do you even understand what's going on? The are not "declaring". They are going to a session for evaluation and advice. All except Heron will probably be back.

This is something we are not used to seeing since we rarely have NBA type talent on the roster. It is pretty common. You can thank Heron's father for him moving on. Mitchell is gone(playing time). Murray is gone(playing time). Wiley likely will go in second round so he's probably gone. The others are doing what any prospect should do. Go get an honest opinion of where you stand in regards to ability to play after college.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apraser99 said:

This is something we are not used to seeing since we rarely have NBA type talent on the roster. It is pretty common. You can thank Heron's father for him moving on. Mitchell is gone(playing time). Murray is gone(playing time). Wiley likely will go in second round so he's probably gone. The others are doing what any prospect should do. Go get an honest opinion of where you stand in regards to ability to play after college.

Guess I'm willing to say that we don't have NBA type talent on the team now either. Well....Wiley probably, who we never got a full season out of but the rest looking at the league are  just kicking tires.....but likely that is it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AU64 said:

There has to be some kind of filtering process...otherwise you have a thousand kids show up for evaluation.  Meanwhile the sleaze merchants are taking names and making contact with "prospects".  This is basketball after....odds of everything being on the up and up is small.

I don't know what it is, maybe the tryouts are by invitation only, but there has to be some way to keep the idle curious out. otherwise I could get a slot to be evaluated and I watched AU basketball when it was played in the old Barn, the players were all white and Bill Lynn was the coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AU64 said:

There has to be some kind of filtering process...otherwise you have a thousand kids show up for evaluation.  Meanwhile the sleaze merchants are taking names and making contact with "prospects".  This is basketball after....odds of everything being on the up and up is small.

See previous post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WDEKC said:

from the link: " request application forms, and you’ll be on your way to, well, probably nowhere....."

So, the application forms don't ask for experience, references or have any further requirements at all? Google didn't answer those questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WDEKC said:

See previous post

Thanks....that opening statement kind of tells the tale..

If you haven’t played basketball above the “5-on-5 at the park, game to 21, win by two” level but have always wanted to play with the big boys, it’s actually not that hard to enter the NBA Draft. 

that and the last para.

So if you have the urge to play for the NBA, email the NBA, let them know you're eligible for the draft, request application forms, and you’ll be on your way to, well, probably nowhere. But at least you'll put the NBA on notice, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

from the link: " request application forms, and you’ll be on your way to, well, probably nowhere....."

So, the application forms don't ask for experience, references or have any further requirements at all? Google didn't answer those questions.

Well, the requirements are that you are 1 year out of HS and either still in college or graduating the year of the draft your trying to enter. Otherwise, you are considered a free agent. So I'd imagine most people in this thread would be turned down from entering the draft due to being considered a free agent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Well, the requirements are that you are 1 year out of HS and either still in college or graduating the year of the draft your trying to enter. Otherwise, you are considered a free agent. So I'd imagine most people in this thread would be turned down from entering the draft due to being considered a free agent.

Seems the only requirements flow from the CBA contract .....and apparently not even a letter from a coach certifying that the prospect has rudimentary knowledge of the game.   This article linked above,  makes "declaring for the NBA draft" a pretty unexclusive process.  

And it also seems to indicate that evaluating players could look like a player evaluation / tryout for little league baseball...catch a few fly balls, make a few throws across the infield and try to hit a few soft pitches.....though maybe I'm under-selling the process.   I guess however, the players would have highlight film  of their good games for someone to take a look at. 

BUT....after my snarkiness,     I will add that I'm glad the NBA gives young players an opportunity to try for the league, despite the slim odds.      Back in the day, the major league teams had open tryouts all over the country for HS and college players.   I spent all day shagging balls a couple years for the St Louis Cardinals tryout down in Fairhope and I think a few guys got an invite to a next level evaluation......so might happen for some NBA dreamers too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For everybody freaking out about all of our guys that are “declaring for the draft”......all of Duke’s starting five is now gone, one by graduation and four by declaring and hiring an agent. I think this just signals us entering a new era in basketball (hopefully);  this is the reality for the big boys. JMHO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fredst said:

For everybody freaking out about all of our guys that are “declaring for the draft”......all of Duke’s starting five is now gone, one by graduation and four by declaring and hiring an agent. I think this just signals us entering a new era in basketball (hopefully);  this is the reality for the big boys. JMHO.

So so true but they have #1, 2, 3 ranked recruits coming in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

So so true but they have #1, 2, 3 ranked recruits coming in

Their recruiting class is sick. That Zion Williamson kid is a full grown man. For those that haven’t: go watch his highlights. Unreal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fredst said:

Their recruiting class is sick. That Zion Williamson kid is a full grown man. For those that haven’t: go watch his highlights. Unreal.

No one has ever had this type recruiting class. Coach K better be ready to handle those kids/grown men

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

No one has ever had this type recruiting class. Coach K better be ready to handle those kids/grown men

True but making a team out of these kind of classes is turning out to be a tough job for Cal and Coach K....getting these kids who never learned how to play D in HS and have a couple months to transform them into a "team".  This year Duke had an experienced PG who helped keep things organized.  With all the talent, it will still be interesting to see how they play as a group.    

The rest of the college basketball world will have to make do with 3* and 4* players......and I'm wondering how many 5* players made it to the final 4....maybe none. We can do fine if we can just keep the same guys together for a two our three seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True but making a team out of these kind of classes is turning out to be a tough job for Cal and Coach K....getting these kids who never learned how to play D in HS and have a couple months to transform them into a "team".  This year Duke had an experienced PG who helped keep things organized.  With all the talent, it will still be interesting to see how they play as a group.    

The rest of the college basketball world will have to make do with 3* and 4* players......and I'm wondering how many 5* players made it to the final 4....maybe none. We can do fine if we can just keep the same guys together for a two our three seasons.

That’s exactly why a team like Loyola-Chicago seems to “surprise” everybody come tourney time. But, I’d be willing to take a chance on a recruiting class like Duke pulled in, lol.

Add: And, if anybody can pull it off, Krzyzewski can...

Edited by fredst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now