Jordan Rodgers on Stidham

WFE12

Jordan Rodgers: Jarrett Stidham was ‘very frustrated’ at times last season, wants more freedom in 2018

By Spenser Davis

Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham is heading into a pivotal year as Auburn’s starting quarterback for a second straight season, but the Tigers’ offense could look much different in 2018.

For one, Auburn is expected to pick up the pace a little bit. The Tigers wanted to ease Stidham into the offense, which makes sense. His only collegiate experience was at Baylor, which included less defensive resistance in the Big 12 and a simpler offense.

According to SEC Network analyst Jordan Rodgers, Auburn is picking up the pace this year in certain situations, and will slow it down in others.

“I think Auburn is going to pick and choose when they go lightning fast, and when they lightning fast go to the line of scrimmage and then allow Jarrett Stidham to get them out of a play and check to something,” Rodgers said on WJOX in Birmingham Wednesday. “I think you’re going to see a lot more variability of when they’re going really really fast … and when they’re going to chose to go tempo and when they chose not to.”

That variability and freedom was apparently very important to Stidham, who could have gone pro after last season but ultimately decided to return to Auburn.

“I’m not sure where it started but if I had to guess, I think that’s something Jarrett Stidham was very, very frustrated at last year. Not having the ability to have more freedom at the line of scrimmage,” Rodgers said. “Midway through the season, I think Jarrett Stidham was ready for some more leash at the line of scrimmage and I don’t think he was given the opportunity as much as he would have liked to.”

Rodgers went as far as to say there was a sit-down conversation necessary to convince Stidham that he would have more freedom at the line of scrimmage in 2018.

“I think in his heart of hearts, he knew he wanted to come back,” Rodgers said. “But also, I think he felt like he knew he wanted more freedom and wasn’t sure he was going to get it. That’s a conversation Chip Lindsey, Gus Malzahn and Jarrett Stidham all had sitting down together. That this offense was going to look different and he was going to get more freedom at the line of scrimmage. Those guarantees and that conversation really played into Jarrett Stidham’s decision to come back to college … And I think they’re all in a place where they’re comfortable allowing him (that freedom).”

Auburn’s offense ranked No. 34 in the country per S&P+, which certainly leaves room for improvement.

Here’s the full interview on WJOX:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 2004 prior to our game vs Tennessee in Knoxville, I recall it being reported that Al Borges said him and Tommy Tuberville debated back and forth about whether they should let Jason Campbell audible at the line and change the called play. They apparently debated this all week and finally a day or 2 before the game they said "let's let him do it". He checked us out of numerous calls that night on the way to a nationally televised beatdown of the Vols on the road and the rest of the year was history.

It doesn't have to be changing the play to a QB friendly play each time, Jason was a master at checking out of a bad run call and audible-ing to a better run play. I hope we give Stidz this freedom because holy shizzle we are predictable as heck. I think half this board knows what we are about to run pre-snap based on a particular motion, formation, personnel package, or that damn sugar huddle.

The fact that he had to tell Gus and Chip to give him more freedom or we're going to be starting a green sophomore is 2 things simultaneously. 1st I have to give props to Gus for letting go a little, and 2nd is it's sad our QB feels like he needed more freedom to be a better player. After all, he is the one having to eat 11 freaking sacks because coaches won't let him throw to wide open areas of the field because they aren't telling any receivers to go to those spots on the field.

Is this information he has been told or is this just what he thinks might have happened? This sit down is such a big story you’d think one of our insiders would have heard about this!

24 minutes ago, toddc said:

Is this information he has been told or is this just what he thinks might have happened? This sit down is such a big story you’d think one of our insiders would have heard about this!

There have been rumblings about it for a while. This is the first I have heard about the sit down, but people have been talking about how Stidham is going to have more on-field control.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

@GwillMac6 , here is your boy again , gossiping like Wendy Williams.

I love it! He deserves more control. And gus needs less! hahaha

I don't blame him at all for his frustration...who would? Him saying in an interview after the LSU game that he was just doing as he was told was a telltale sign. It's good that Jarrett is mature and poised because he really could have went off on somebody after that game. He really wished he could have checked out of so many of those stupid plays. I wonder what he thought to himself every time they told him a play-call during that 2nd half.

So ya'll think a player that has played 18 college games should dictate the offense more then the OC and head coach.  We go plenty fast when we go to hurry up.  Now if we are going to a full pace game maybe a couple checks won't be bad but the check with me at the line has never bothered me.  

One thing that does bother me is a time out on 1st and 10.  That really drives me bonkers because you can just run a standard give and get 2 -3 yards then get in a better play.  

• WarTiger changed the title to Jordan Rodgers on Stidham

IMO, if this is even real, JS would have a lot of audacity to pull a LaMarcus Aldridge. He slowly needed to get back in the groove of even being a capable QB last season. I am sure with familiarity this season he will get much more independence, but last season he really didn’t deserve as much as he thinks he needed. Again, if this is even close to accurate .

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

IMO, if this is even real, JS would have a lot of audacity to pull a LaMarcus Aldridge. He slowly needed to get back in the groove of even being a capable QB last season. I am sure with familiarity this season he will get much more independence, but last season he really didn’t deserve as much as he thinks he needed. Again, if this is even close to accurate .

DAG I'm thinking you are correct and that Rodgers is reading a lot into the statements that were made.  

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Every 16 year old would like keys to the 'vette.......but it's necessary to earn the right.    Worth giving him a bit of freedom but I'm thinking he better be judicious and better get it right....JMO

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Every 16 year old would like keys to the 'vette.......but it's necessary to earn the right.    Worth giving him a bit of freedom but I'm thinking he better be judicious and better get it right....JMO

You got that right because there will not be a lot of accident forgiveness on Gus part if he wrecks the Vette. If he would just check out of the usual first down dive 1/3 of the time I'd be happy. 

11 minutes ago, gr82be said:

You got that right because there will not be a lot of accident forgiveness on Gus part if he wrecks the Vette. If he would just check out of the usual first down dive 1/3 of the time I'd be happy. 

The coaches ought to give him a plan B in those situations where AU has been notoriously predictable.    

As long as he doesn’t change to a play that requires him to throw a slant into the gut of an opposing linebacker I’m ok. 

16 hours ago, Tiger said:

In 2004 prior to our game vs Tennessee in Knoxville, I recall it being reported that Al Borges said him and Tommy Tuberville debated back and forth about whether they should let Jason Campbell audible at the line and change the called play. They apparently debated this all week and finally a day or 2 before the game they said "let's let him do it". He checked us out of numerous calls that night on the way to a nationally televised beatdown of the Vols on the road and the rest of the year was history.

I remember that game.  i couldnt have picked a better road game to go to.  The amount of hate before and after was overwhelming from the Tennessee fans. 

Hopefully, before any player declares for the NFL, they have a sit down with their coaches to discuss their roles moving forward.  That doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

17 hours ago, toddc said:

There was a meeting between the 3. One point after the bowl game Stidham was going pro. Was talked into coming back. I even warned this place about Stidham going pro. Lets hope AU(Gus) lives up to their promise, something he has a hard time doing. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

There was a meeting between the 3. One point after the bowl game Stidham was going pro. Was talked into coming back. I even warned this place about Stidham going pro. Lets hope AU(Gus) lives up to their promise, something he has a hard time doing. 

I take your word for this but if it's true, Stidham is not as bright as I figure him to be....or he's been listening to folks around him pumping him up about how good he is.    Glad someone talked some sense into him. 

Meanwhile, as mentioned in another thread*,

he's busy making lemonade:

'Stidham said it was "a bummer" not to be able to do more with his teammates this spring, but appreciate getting to see things from a different vantage point during practice.

"Now that I know everything we're doing on offense, I know what we're trying to do, I'm able to kind of have more of an overlook of it rather than just doing my job and trying to get the ball to different guys," he said. "I'm able to see everything as a whole, if that makes sense. ... Obviously, I love playing. But it's nice to kind of sit back and kind of see everything from coach Malzahn's perspective. I would always be back behind everything with him during practice, so I'm kind of able to see what exactly he's seeing. We talk about things."'

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/04/what_jarrett_stidham_got_out_o.html

ETA *hard work ahead for Stidham, WFE12

42 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Meanwhile, as mentioned in another thread,

'Stidham said it was "a bummer" not to be able to do more with his teammates this spring, but appreciate getting to see things from a different vantage point during practice.

"Now that I know everything we're doing on offense, I know what we're trying to do, I'm able to kind of have more of an overlook of it rather than just doing my job and trying to get the ball to different guys," he said. "I'm able to see everything as a whole, if that makes sense. ... Obviously, I love playing. But it's nice to kind of sit back and kind of see everything from coach Malzahn's perspective. I would always be back behind everything with him during practice, so I'm kind of able to see what exactly he's seeing. We talk about things."'

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/04/what_jarrett_stidham_got_out_o.html

Coach:  "You see how they have 9 stacked in the box?  Perfect time to run a dive play."

Stidham:  "Uh, wouldn't a pass work better here Coach?"

Coach:  "Of course not.  You only pass when the defense is in a Dime package, and all throws have to be at least 30 yards down the field."

Stidham:  "But Coach..."

Coach:  "I SAID RUN THE DIVE!"

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Coach:  "You see how they have 9 stacked in the box?  Perfect time to run a dive play."

Coach:  "Of course not.  You only pass when the defense is in a Dime package, and all throws have to be at least 30 yards down the field."

Stidham: " but coach, it's already been 16 in a row"

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I take your word for this but if it's true, Stidham is not as bright as I figure him to be....or he's been listening to folks around him pumping him up about how good he is.    Glad someone talked some sense into him. 

I should have worded this "was leaning to going pro" instead of going pro. 

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Meanwhile, as mentioned in another thread*,

ETA *hard work ahead for Stidham, WFE12

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Conversation becoming 2-way?

Progress?

I’m guessing he would have checked out of all of the plays that he threw an interception or looked clueless! He will never call another play that may require himself to step into the pocket!

Archived