That's Smarts

AUld fAUx@

"Seven Auburn football players were selected by the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF) on Wednesday as members of the 2018 NFF Hampshire Honor Society, which is comprised of college football players from all divisions of play who each maintained a cumulative 3.2 GPA or better throughout their college career. 

The group from Auburn includes tight end Pete Berryman, kicker Daniel Carlson, offensive lineman Casey Dunn, long snapper Ike Powell, offensive lineman Braden Smith, holder Tyler Stovall and linebacker Keenan Sweeney."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041118aad.html

WDE

Love having not 1 but 2 of the starting big uglies on the list.... especially Braden who proves you can be All Everything in football and still excel in the classroom (and because he's from my neck of the woods).

I wonder if there is anything to be read into the fact that the kicking team always seems to be the smartest squad of them all...

40 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Love having not 1 but 2 of the starting big uglies on the list.... especially Braden who proves you can be All Everything in football and still excel in the classroom (and because he's from my neck of the woods).

I wonder if there is anything to be read into the fact that the kicking team always seems to be the smartest squad of them all...

I know, right?

'course long-snapping, hold/placing, and place-kicking all sort'a involve geometry/trigonometry?

11 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I know, right?

'course long-snapping, hold/placing, and place-kicking all sort'a involve geometry/trigonometry?

Don't forget physics.  I mean think about it.  Who would you say has stronger legs: Kickers or OL\DL?  I mean some of those linemen are squatting volkswagons.  Has to be physics involved to do some of that kicking.

4 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Don't forget physics.  I mean think about it.  Who would you say has stronger legs: Kickers or OL\DL?  I mean some of those linemen are squatting volkswagons.  Has to be physics involved to do some of that kicking.

at least Newtonian ballistics.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:23 AM, AUld fAUx@ said:

"Seven Auburn football players were selected by the National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF) on Wednesday as members of the 2018 NFF Hampshire Honor Society, which is comprised of college football players from all divisions of play who each maintained a cumulative 3.2 GPA or better throughout their college career. 

The group from Auburn includes tight end Pete Berryman, kicker Daniel Carlson, offensive lineman Casey Dunn, long snapper Ike Powell, offensive lineman Braden Smith, holder Tyler Stovall and linebacker Keenan Sweeney."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041118aad.html

WDE

Tyler Stovall was valedictorian of his senior class I believe. He has always been very smart and ultra-talented. He has a lot of family that were great baseball athletes.

Kickers may be the smartest, but I know for sure there was a certain kicker here in the early 2000s who sure liked to party... And party a LOT. He certainly wouldn't of made it on a Gus Malzahn coached team. 

Either way, proud of those guys. I hate seeing legatron go, but it is nice we are keeping our kicking team in the same bloodline. 

• 2 months later...

Also - 

Football program had 12 (most of any AU program) named to the "2017-18 First Year SEC Academic Honor Roll list...

Each student-athlete must 1) have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above at the nominating institution; 2) If a student-athlete attends summer school, his/her grade point average during the summer academic term must be included in the calculation used to determine eligibility for the Academic Honor Roll; 3) Student-athletes eligible for the Honor Roll include those receiving an athletics scholarship, recipients of an athletics award (i.e., letter winner), and non-scholarship student-athletes who have been on a varsity team for two seasons; 4) a student-athlete must have successfully completed 24 semester or 36 quarter hours; 5) The student-athlete must have been a member of a varsity team for the sport's entire NCAA Championship segment.

The SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll is based on grades from the 2017-18 academic calendar...

FOOTBALL (12)
Devan Barrett – Pre-Business
Anders Carlson – Professional Flight
Craig Carter – Agricultural Business & Economics
Tanner Dean – Pre-Civil Engineering
Casey Dunn – Community Planning
Noah Igbinoghene – Physical Activity and Health
Alec Jackson – Psychology
Trent Kelley – Finance
Jordyn Peters – Pre-Business
John Samuel Shenker – Pre-Business
Bill Taylor – Pre-Business
Barrett Tindall – Pre-Civil Engineering"

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071118aae.html

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Also - 

Football program had 12 (most of any AU program) named to the "2017-18 First Year SEC Academic Honor Roll list...

Each student-athlete must 1) have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above at the nominating institution; 2) If a student-athlete attends summer school, his/her grade point average during the summer academic term must be included in the calculation used to determine eligibility for the Academic Honor Roll; 3) Student-athletes eligible for the Honor Roll include those receiving an athletics scholarship, recipients of an athletics award (i.e., letter winner), and non-scholarship student-athletes who have been on a varsity team for two seasons; 4) a student-athlete must have successfully completed 24 semester or 36 quarter hours; 5) The student-athlete must have been a member of a varsity team for the sport's entire NCAA Championship segment.

The SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll is based on grades from the 2017-18 academic calendar...

FOOTBALL (12)
Devan Barrett – Pre-Business
Anders Carlson – Professional Flight
Craig Carter – Agricultural Business & Economics
Tanner Dean – Pre-Civil Engineering
Casey Dunn – Community Planning
Noah Igbinoghene – Physical Activity and Health
Alec Jackson – Psychology
Trent Kelley – Finance
Jordyn Peters – Pre-Business
John Samuel Shenker – Pre-Business
Bill Taylor – Pre-Business
Barrett Tindall – Pre-Civil Engineering"

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071118aae.html

I'm surprised at the lack of fluff majors here. Good work, men!

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

What is "Professional Flight" ..........................pilot?????

Apparently so, and

looks like a challenging curriculum:

http://bulletin.auburn.edu/undergraduate/universitycollege/professionalflight/

ETA - Those kickers...

On 4/12/2018 at 10:45 AM, lionheartkc said:

They take fewer licks to the head if that helps. Can't hurt.  ?

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Apparently so, and

looks like a challenging curriculum:

http://bulletin.auburn.edu/undergraduate/universitycollege/professionalflight/

ETA - Those kickers...

Thanks faux. Neat degree for a kicker. Guess that is what we used to know as Aviation Management.  

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Football program had 12 (most of any AU program) 

Captain Killjoy reporting for duty, sir. I'm guessing that might be because of the huge roster compared to the other sports.

Image result for debbie downer gif

Edit: All awesome accomplishments nonetheless!

9 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks faux. Neat degree for a kicker. Guess that is what we used to know as Aviation Management.  

Only took two of those courses as electives while working on my Chem.E. (and the weather course was administered through the Geography Dep't back then), but enjoyed/appreciated them.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Captain Killjoy reporting for duty, sir. I'm guessing that might be because of the huge roster compared to the other sports.

Image result for debbie downer gif

Edit: All awesome accomplishments nonetheless!

Close second (11/ea) for Baseball and Equestrian.

ETA - ...but ^those^ seemed OT here? 

38 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Close second (11/ea) for Baseball and Equestrian.

You mean Auburn has classes for horses?  Impressive...

178fb69e485819ccfed7c901dd9fe62a.jpg

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

178fb69e485819ccfed7c901dd9fe62a.jpg

That bone is not funny!

5 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

An old (re-posted, I think?), only tangentially relevant, (anti) Auburn joke:

Why can't the University schedule Driver's Ed and Sex Education classes in the same quarter?

Just wears out the mule.

10 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Why can't the University schedule Driver's Ed and Sex Education classes in the same quarter?

Just wears out the mule.

Both HAHA and EWWW.... at the same time ?

13 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Just wears out the mule.

Self deprecation is usually a great strategy. This is one of those times.

That's a damned good joke.

Archived