Auburn a sleeper in SEC West

toddc

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/lee-corso-auburn-tigers-2018-sleeper-team

Lee Corso calls Auburn ‘sleeper team’ for 2018 SEC football season

Do you think Georgia will repeat as the SEC champion? And Alabama as the national champion?

In the immortal words of ESPN College GameDay legend Lee Corso– “Not so fast, my friend.”

The 82-year-old former college football coach thinks defending SEC West champion will have something to say about that this fall. During an interview with WNSP in Mobile, Ala. on Wednesday, Corso was asked to give his opinion on Alabama, Georgia and Auburn returning as the potential top 3 teams in the league.

“I think Auburn is the sleeper team,” Corso said. “They had a hell of a record last year. They were a good football team. The thing that happened to Coach [Gus] Malzahn is he lost a big game against Central Florida. That took the luster off of his season. He had a great season. He beat both Georgia and Alabama, when they were No. 1 in the nation, and I think people forget that.

“I think Auburn’s problem is that they lost the last game to Central Florida and everybody remembers that. I think it’s Auburn, Georgia and Alabama. Those three teams are the top teams.”

To be fair, most wouldn’t consider Auburn a “sleeper” in the traditional sense of the word. But Corso may be right in that Alabama and Georgia are receiving much of the offseason love after their dramatic overtime clash in the national title game, but the Tigers stood toe-to-toe with each of them and came out victorious during the 2017 season. And with quarterback Jarrett Stidham hoping for a healthy return in the fall, there’s really no reason Auburn can’t make a run at defending the SEC West title and then some.

Auburn has 28-to-1 odds to win the 2o18 College Football Playoff, according to Vegas Insider. There are only 10 college football teams with a better number, with Georgia (8-to-1) and Alabama (2-to-1) among them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I hate it when he picks us on College Game Day!

Did he say Auburn's a sleeper or that Auburn will sleep through the 2018 season?

Defending division champs return arguably the best quarterback and defense in the league, after soundly beating the only other team in a 2-team race who might have more question marks than we do? 

A sleeper?

I'm not asking for any predictions that we win the conference or even the division. But a "sleeper"? 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Defending division champs return arguably the best quarterback and defense in the league, after soundly beating the only other team in a 2-team race who might have more question marks than we do? 

A sleeper?

I'm not asking for any predictions that we win the conference or even the division. But a "sleeper"? 

Who knows how our season is gonna go? One thing's for sure- if we win the west, it will surprise no one. Sleepers, smh.

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A sleeper?

To be fair, the OP's referenced author said, "To be fair, most wouldn’t consider Auburn a “sleeper” in the traditional sense of the word."

To be fair to Mr. Corso, a polite and timely wake-up" call may be in order.

To the OP, many thanks for the concise presentation.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

A sleeper?

I'm telling you... we could win the Natty and next year we'd just be "lil ol' Auburn looking up at the big boys" in the eyes of most of the nation.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm telling you... we could win the Natty and next year we'd just be "lil ol' Auburn looking up at the big boys" in the eyes of most of the nation.

I hope you have the opportunity to be right :)

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

To be fair, the OP's referenced author said, "To be fair, most wouldn’t consider Auburn a “sleeper” in the traditional sense of the word."

To be fair to Mr. Corso, a polite and timely wake-up" call may be in order.

To the OP, many thanks for the concise presentation.

Mr. Corso would seem to be more proficient in thought than word. And that's okay.

Unless we have a ton of injuries I expect us to be good. We need to quit picking things apart and enjoy his positive spin on our team.I doubt you young pups remember but way back in the day he pretty much hated Auburn. And he was not bashful about it. Him and Terry Bowden had one hell of an argument on national TV over Auburn cheating. That is why auburn fans cheered when corso's rental was struck by lightening in the parking lot outside the stadium. Times change and he is showing us love so why not enjoy it?

Auburn is never a sleeper in the SEC. They take naps during the second half from time to time. 

I think Lee might be on to something in a positive way. Our defense could be a top 5 nationally. If our D can control those September games and our offense plays in the form of most of last season, I like our chances. I think we are looking at a scenario of 9-3 or 10-2 and maybe a bit better. I am not going to get down on this team and will give them the respect they deserve until they prove otherwise.

I think we will be ok as long as the injury bug thing goes away. I don't see us ever having a strong season on the even years, though. I hate the every other year schedule though. It's absolutely ridiculous that we have to play Georgia and Alabama on the road, pretty much back to back. No other team in the country has a more difficult last 3 weeks. They need to work on putting Georgia as the SEC opener or something so we don't have to have a miracle to stay in the hunt every other season. 

When haven't we been the sleeper in the West? Honestly, we're always that pick so long as Saban is at Alabama.

With our lousy bowl record under Gus we do not deserve to automatically be considered shoo-ins for the playoff.

9 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

What idiot thought playing two away games at two of our toughest opponents was a good idea?

Umm.. Jay Jacobs !!

I think it is great that we are getting some love from the national media. The article was CLEARLY meant to be positive about our team. Enjoy it!

11 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

What idiot thought playing two away games at two of our toughest opponents was a good idea?

The SEC office did that when the schedule had to be adjusted because Mizzou and A&M were coming into the league. Prior to that they were always alternated home and home. Apparently revising schedules is a little more complex than each school deciding who, where and when to play their games.

Archived