Our Backup QBs

DivisionN

There is way, way too much criticism of the backup QBs on this site. Both of them are strong runners. They both play the run option well. You can't see that in a tag game like A-day.  We've gone with mostly backup receivers all spring. Both of those guys are very talented, and, put in the right situation would do well. Just my 2 cents. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both of our backup QBs are DT QBs which put them at a disadvantage in the Spring game. That part of their game was taken away from them. But in a real game there are going to be times when they WILL have to rely on the pass. They were able to demonstrate their passing ability in the Spring game. In that part of their game I think it would be fair to say they both need work. Willis was much better than Gatewood but they were both missing wide open WRs. However, when a WR drops a pass on target the QB has done his job, so I don't count that as a bad pass.

Unfortunately I don’t think things will get a lot better for Gatewood and Willis till they see the field in real games.  Nick Marshall was not the Qb we remember his first couple games.  The Wazzou game he was especially raw.  It’ll probably be the same for these guys till the offense finds that 3rd game rhythm.  If you get bored YouTube has all the offensive plays from 2013.  The number of missed long balls by Marshall still makes me cuss.

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Unfortunately I don’t think things will get a lot better for Gatewood and Willis till they see the field in real games.  Nick Marshall was not the Qb we remember his first couple games.  The Wazzou game he was especially raw.  It’ll probably be the same for these guys till the offense finds that 3rd game rhythm.  If you get bored YouTube has all the offensive plays from 2013.  The number of missed long balls by Marshall still makes me cuss.

Granted, I used that same argument to defend JF3 when he arrived, but I think Willis is much closer to Nick's caliber.

19 hours ago, AUwent said:

Granted, I used that same argument to defend JF3 when he arrived, but I think Willis is much closer to Nick's caliber.

I completely agree.  Willis and Gatewood could be special players.  JF3 never stood a chance.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I completely agree.  Willis and Gatewood could be special players.  JF3 never stood a chance.

I have absolutely no idea why Gus went after him instead of Jerod Evans. We AT LEAST beat Georgia (in 2016) with him.

Gatewood should still be in HS, so I’m just happy he got out there and got some reps against an elite Defense.   He got his feet wet and has plenty of time to catch up   

I expected more from MW in the Spring game.  True he is a DTQB and taking that element away throws off everything, but I’ve seen him make more accurate throws and better decisions than he made at A Day.   I’m just chalking it up to a bad day against an excellent defense.  I still feel good about our future at QB.  

42 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Gatewood should still be in HS, so I’m just happy he got out there and got some reps against an elite Defense.   He got his feet wet and has plenty of time to catch up   

I expected more from MW in the Spring game.  True he is a DTQB and taking that element away throws off everything, but I’ve seen him make more accurate throws and better decisions than he made at A Day.   I’m just chalking it up to a bad day against an excellent defense.  I still feel good about our future at QB.  

Guess I'm not sure why you might feel this way.  MW was playing with a mixture of back-ups and freshmen against one of the top defensive fronts in college football who, by the way,  knew every page of his playbook.......and he was not allowed to run the ball......I mean...what could go wrong right under that scenario ?. 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess I'm not sure why you might feel this way.  MW was playing with a mixture of back-ups and freshmen against one of the top defensive fronts in college football who, by the way,  knew every page of his playbook.......and he was not allowed to run the ball......I mean...what could go wrong right under that scenario ?. 

Zero and I don't understand anyone having much in the way of expectations anyway. A-Day is a glorified scrimmage and you see exactly what the coaches want you to see which is not much. I'm competitive enough to tell you that as a skill player I would be frustrated after going through the motions and not being able to do what I could do. I know it's to limit injuries but this spring was not very kind in that regard. The next game I coach would be my first so what do I know. :dunno:

MW is not a SEC QB unless he has exceptional coaching.  Neither is Gatewood. Under the current coaching staff Nix is our best hope after Stidham.

wde

On 4/13/2018 at 9:40 AM, Win4AU said:

If you get bored YouTube has all the offensive plays from 2013.  The number of missed long balls by Marshall still makes me cuss.

Our first series, he missed a wide open receiver that cost us 7 in the BCS Championship Game.  Still makes my butt chew gum.  That play plus the fake punt and the kickoff return for a TD was a 21 point difference.  We should have won that game easily.

8 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

MW is not a SEC QB unless he has exceptional coaching.  Neither is Gatewood. Under the current coaching staff Nix is our best hope after Stidham.

wde

So the kid who should still be in high school, who signed early and has had only a handful of SEC caliber practices is already a complete bust, but a different kid who is just a junior in high school,  is our best hope?

You serious Clark? 

Some of this stuff just can't be made up.

11 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So the kid who should still be in high school, who signed early and has had only a handful of SEC caliber practices is already a complete bust, but a different kid who is just a junior in high school,  is our best hope?

You serious Clark? 

I am very serious.   Gatewood was not a full time starter even in HS.  This is not Justin Fields we are discussing.  After the cluster that was JF3, why would  any fan trust Gus on his evaluation of a QB (Rhett took the fall for it, but Gus gave him the green light).  At least Nix has had the guidance of his Dad and probably better QB coaching than he will get at AU under Gus.  Gus got Nick Marshall right only after 4 games when it became obvious to let NM be NM and make plays on his athletic ability.  The same can be said for Cam.  

wde

14 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You serious Clark? 

to be fair we have had alot more bust/transfers than successful qb's  in the past 10 years.   

15 hours ago, saminbama said:

Our first series, he missed a wide open receiver that cost us 7 in the BCS Championship Game.  Still makes my butt chew gum.  That play plus the fake punt and the kickoff return for a TD was a 21 point difference.  We should have won that game easily.

Win easily? Don't think so. Still 2 very good teams going at it.

But once we got the lead, under 2 mins, our D should have made 1 big play, to shut them down, and not let them get down near the goal line to have a chance. 

26 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But once we got the lead, under 2 mins, our D should have made 1 big play, to shut them down, and not let them get down near the goal line to have a chance. 

Eh, our defense held a Heisman QB to 27 points. Not a dominating performance, but they played better football than they had most of the season and the other 2 units did not. (Cody Parky picked a hell of a time to have his only injury, ever. JABA, ladies and gents.) The offense scoring zero points in the 3rd quarter didn't help. (The other staff making better adjustments than ours at halftime... imagine that.) 

Agree with the first part, though, no doubt. 

34 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yep...coach put the game in the hands of the defense which had done a good job all night.....JMO but that was not a bad plan with not much over a minute and  about 80 yard to go. A busted play by a couple DBs and instead of 8 yards or something,  the receiver was off to the races. 

USA Today had a more objective take on it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/07/recounting-the-12-major-moments-that-decided-the-bcs-championship/4349205/

And let's not forget that we very well might have been a missed block away from returning the final kickoff to win the game.

Mistakes all over the field that night and it's super frustrating when fans try to act like this play/player/unit or that one caused us to lose. 

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Eh, our defense held a Heisman QB to 27 points. Not a dominating performance, but they played better football than they had most of the season and the other 2 units did not. (Cody Parky picked a hell of a time to have his only injury, ever. JABA, ladies and gents.) The offense scoring zero points in the 3rd quarter didn't help. (The other staff making better adjustments than ours at halftime... imagine that.) 

Agree with the first part, though, no doubt. 

geez. We score over 30 points in a NC game, and you blame the offense for missed chances in the 3rd Qtr?

If you score over 30+ points in a championship game, you SHOULD win the game. And with about a 1 minute left, our D played prevent, and it allowed a Heisman QB to get them in scoring position. Coaches do this all the time, and as fans we scream at the tv...NOOOOO!

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

USA Today had a more objective take on it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/07/recounting-the-12-major-moments-that-decided-the-bcs-championship/4349205/

And let's not forget that we very well might have been a missed block away from returning the final kickoff to win the game.

Mistakes all over the field that night and it's super frustrating when fans try to act like this play/player/unit or that one caused us to lose. 

I still can't get over the fact that their kick return for a TD was very likely due to a very poorly timed pulled hammy, leaving us down a defender... something the writer somehow missed.

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

geez. We score over 30 points in a NC game, and you blame the offense for missed chances in the 3rd Qtr?

If you score over 30+ points in a championship game, you SHOULD win the game. And with about a 1 minute left, our D played prevent, and it allowed a Heisman QB to get them in scoring position. Coaches do this all the time, and as fans we scream at the tv...NOOOOO!

It was a team loss. Putting the emphasis on the last drive is just silly. Many things turned that game around. IMO, the first turn of events was not being prepared for that fake punt, which a host of us knew was coming. That gave them confidence going in half. We also got very complacent from the offensive end in the second half. Then we gave up another huge special team play by allowing a kick off return to occur . I think we also missed a FG as well.FSU had a top 6 offense in 2013 and we had a top 11. Both defenses had a tall order in stopping the other. The little things is what chipped away at us.

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

It was a team loss. Putting the emphasis on the last drive is just silly. Many things turned that game around. IMO, the first turn of events was not being prepared for that fake punt, which a host of us knew was coming. That gave them confidence going in half. We also got very complacent from the offensive end in the second half. Then we gave up another huge special team play by allowing a kick off return to occur . I think we also missed a FG as well.FSU had a top 6 offense in 2013 and we had a top 11. Both defenses had a tall order in stopping the other. The little things is what chipped away at us.

Chipped away. Exactly. 

36 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes, I blame the offense for scoring zero points in the 3rd quarter. I do not blame the loss entirely on that, though. 

Archived