Our Backup QBs

DivisionN

53 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If you score over 30+ points in a championship game, you SHOULD win the game.

That so used to be the truth, but with teams racking up multiple 40+ point games in conference play, these days, 30 points doesn't necessarily get it done anymore.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And let's not forget that we very well might have been a missed block away from returning the final kickoff to win the game.

Yup. It was Kozan (I think) who missed the block on the defender who tackled Mason. If he blocks him, Mason may have made the Kick Six and Miracle at JH seem like 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Couldn’t see how many extra defenders were downfield, but Mason would have been in the clear for at least 30 more yards. 

33 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Yup. It was Kozan (I think) who missed the block on the defender who tackled Mason. If he blocks him, Mason may have made the Kick Six and Miracle at JH seem like 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Couldn’t see how many extra defenders were downfield, but Mason would have been in the clear for at least 30 more yards. 

*WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK*

Not sure, but 2 guys could have easily blocked dude and if he doesn't make Tre cut inside, it's 6. Also... I forgot this was an actual play from scrimmage and not a kick return. Holy crap. Gus has come up with some pretty cool stuff in his sandbox. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

*WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK*

Not sure, but 2 guys could have easily blocked dude and if he doesn't make Tre cut inside, it's 6. Also... I forgot this was an actual play from scrimmage and not a kick return. Holy crap. Gus has come up with some pretty cool stuff in his sandbox. 

I like this last play design here. Man, what happened to creative Gus?

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I like this last play design here. Man, what happened to creative Gus?

Yep that was  a perfect executed gadget play, giving our best player a chance. I think if he had not made that cut, and stayed straight he only had 1 guy he needed to get by, and then its smooth sailing down the sideline. 

But when he cut back into traffic....he couldnt see the guy coming up from behind....

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yep that was  a perfect executed gadget play, giving our best player a chance. I think if he had not made that cut, and stayed straight he only had 1 guy he needed to get by, and then its smooth sailing down the sideline. 

But when he cut back into traffic....he couldnt see the guy coming up from behind....

Key part there, giving him a chance!!!!!

That's all we want in our regular offense -- don't be so predictable and killing our players' chances of executing properly in the process.

But yeah, he's one cut away from making it really close to getting a shot to make it to the end zone. Ughhhhh

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Key part there, giving him a chance!!!!!

That's all we want in our regular offense -- don't be so predictable and killing our players' chances of executing properly in the process.

But yeah, he's one cut away from making it really close to getting a shot to make it to the end zone. Ughhhhh

Oops. Didn't mean to open up that 'offensive' wound. lol.

But i agree. (Now you got me going...)

Where are the games we focus on getting NCM the ball? He has caught every ball thrown to him. But don't let it only be one. He'll go get it if he's covered, throw it too him again. He's our best WR for passes longer than 5 yards.

Where are the games where Hastings gets the ball more on those needed 8-10 yard drag plays across the middle, or the balls to him in the open zones? In that one game He caught like 6-8 balls and he took off for chunks of yards. BUT, why didn't this happen in those other games?

Find a TE and throw it to him to help JS out. Ok, you say you don't have a TE you can lock in on. Whose fault is that?

Will any of this change in 2018-2019? I am asking the Orange and Blue gods to make it happen.....

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Oops. Didn't mean to open up that 'offensive' wound. lol.

But i agree. (Now you got me going...)

Where are the games we focus on getting NCM the ball? He has caught every ball thrown to him. But don't let it only be one. He'll go get it if he's covered, throw it too him again. He's our best WR for passes longer than 5 yards.

Where are the games where Hastings gets the ball more on those needed 8-10 yard drag plays across the middle, or the balls to him in the open zones? In that one game He caught like 6-8 balls and he took off for chunks of yards. BUT, why didn't this happen in those other games?

Find a TE and throw it to him to help JS out. Ok, you say you don't have a TE you can lock in on. Whose fault is that?

Will any of this change in 2018-2019? I am asking the Orange and Blue gods to make it happen.....

LOL exactly. You're spot on though.

I didn't mean to open this can of worms here though as we all know it can be found in any other thread one randomly chooses. But I guess something struck a nerve for me lol

A couple of the big uglies looked lost. You can tell that play didn't get much practice in terms of blocking.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

A couple of the big uglies looked lost. You can tell that play didn't get much practice in terms of blocking.

Pretty amazing that it was executed as well as it was. 

I'll never understand what those guys saw. Everyone else on the team did their job on the play. Oh well. At least one of them tried at the last second to chip him once he realized the other guy wasn't going to. Sigh. What could have been. 

Your memories of his heroics are distinctly skewed...
http://espnau.com/blackerby-breakdown-nate-craig-myers-will-see-a-lager-role-in-2018/

I also recall a certain pass over the middle that was ripped away from him because he didn't make the effort to get it. He even said that he wasn't giving everything he should hand that he's turned the corner since last season. I expect to see more from him.

Teams have learned that Hastings is small enough that you can pretty easily knock him off his route. Still, he's come up big for us when we've needed him.

We tried to throw to Cannella, but apparently his hands turn to stone under the lights.

9 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I am very serious.   Gatewood was not a full time starter even in HS.  This is not Justin Fields we are discussing.  After the cluster that was JF3, why would  any fan trust Gus on his evaluation of a QB (Rhett took the fall for it, but Gus gave him the green light).  At least Nix has had the guidance of his Dad and probably better QB coaching than he will get at AU under Gus.  Gus got Nick Marshall right only after 4 games when it became obvious to let NM be NM and make plays on his athletic ability.  The same can be said for Cam.  

wde

You are correct, Gatewood was not a full time starter. But why was this? Was it because he was terribly inconsistent and had to be pulled for an unknown player? Or was it because the other QB was also a legit recruit? The answer is B. Riley Smith was a legit 3 star QB who signed with Boise State.

So while you are correct, Gatewood was not a full time starter in high school. It was because he had a legit teammate who also needed playing time to obtain his offers. It's not like he was pulled for some random backup due to lack of production. 

As far as Gus and talent evaluation goes, for the most part you are correct. But Gus didn't evaluate Gatewood and give him his 4 star ranking. Gus didn't rate Gatewood as the #1 Athlete recruit in the nation. Everyone wanted Gatewood. 

7 hours ago, auskip07 said:

to be fair we have had alot more bust/transfers than successful qb's  in the past 10 years.   

Yes we have. I'm not stating otherwise. But to say that a player is a complete bust after only a handful of SEC caliber practices is a completely different story from a totally different universe.

7 hours ago, auskip07 said:

to be fair we have had alot more bust/transfers than successful qb's  in the past 10 years.   

To be even more fair, most schools try to recruit 6-8 QBs over a 4 year period and only play 1-2, maybe 3. Even with injuries, attitude, and discipline problems our attrition rate at QB is not much different than everyone else.

Pretty amazing that it was executed as well as it was. 

Sigh. What could have been. 

It would have ended the Kick Six’s 37-day reign as the greatest play in College Football history.

16 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You are correct, Gatewood was not a full time starter. But why was this? Was it because he was terribly inconsistent and had to be pulled for an unknown player? Or was it because the other QB was also a legit recruit? The answer is B. Riley Smith was a legit 3 star QB who signed with Boise State.

So while you are correct, Gatewood was not a full time starter in high school. It was because he had a legit teammate who also needed playing time to obtain his offers. It's not like he was pulled for some random backup due to lack of production. 

As far as Gus and talent evaluation goes, for the most part you are correct. But Gus didn't evaluate Gatewood and give him his 4 star ranking. Gus didn't rate Gatewood as the #1 Athlete recruit in the nation. Everyone wanted Gatewood. 

Yes we have. I'm not stating otherwise. But to say that a player is a complete bust after only a handful of SEC caliber practices is a completely different story from a totally different universe.

A 3 star beat him out at QB.  Think about that. FWIW, please tell me where I said he was a bust.  I am always said Gatewood would be a good TE (if he played on a team that actually used a TE).  I think Nix could use his skills well if he were a TE.   I don't see any indication that he (nor Malik Willis) is Chris Todd, Cam Newton, Nick Marshal or J. Stidham (the most successful QBs at AU under Gus).  What is I see is Keihl Frazier (sp?), Clint Moseley, J. Johnson under our current coach (Gus) when I see him and Willis play.  I will even give Gatewood (and Willis for that matter) the benefit of the doubt to not start to compare them to JF3.

I do not doubt his and Willis' commitment to AU and that they may be great citizens who will always uphold the AU Creed. I hope he and Willis prove me wrong in terms of their accomplishments as QB on the field.  I hope they receive the coaching to do so.

wde

wde

wde

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

To be even more fair, most schools try to recruit 6-8 QBs over a 4 year period and only play 1-2, maybe 3. Even with injuries, attitude, and discipline problems our attrition rate at QB is not much different than everyone else.

agreed,  but everytime there is a new QB brought in he is hyped up to be something that 80% of the time he isnt.     How many  "next Cam newton" will we hear about commits. Best bet is really just stay luke warm about them until they show us something.  

2 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

agreed,  but everytime there is a new QB brought in he is hyped up to be something that 80% of the time he isnt.     How many  "next Cam newton" will we hear about commits. Best bet is really just stay luke warm about them until they show us something.  

Unfortunately, we will hear about the "next Cam Newton" until we actually get the next Cam Newton.

Should only be about 75 more years or so, no big deal.

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Unfortunately, we will hear about the "next Cam Newton" until we actually get the next Cam Newton.

To be fair every black QB who is tall will be called CN. I have seen it from every school and the announcer say, boy he kind of looks like Cam. Heck I even heard it last year when they were describing the Clemson QB. Shout out to Cam. He revolutionized it.

12 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I feel like the JJ experience thinned the herd, but yeah, history always repeats itself. In terms of fan behavior. Obviously not in terms of a "Cam Newton type" or a "Bo Jackson type" walking through that door. Lol. People are so silly.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

To be fair every black QB who is tall will be called CN. I have seen it from every school and the announcer say, boy he kind of looks like Cam. Heck I even heard it last year when they were describing the Clemson QB. Shout out to Cam. He revolutionized it.

Lol Logan Thomas, anyone??

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I feel like the JJ experience thinned the herd, but yeah, history always repeats itself. In terms of fan behavior. Obviously not in terms of a "Cam Newton type" or a "Bo Jackson type" walking through that door. Lol. People are so silly.

Oh yeah. We likely won't see another QB quite like that in our lifetimes but some people are forever chasing those ghosts

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Oh yeah. We likely won't see another QB quite like that in our lifetimes but some people are forever chasing those ghosts

I thought your 75 year number sounded pretty fair, lol. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I thought your 75 year number sounded pretty fair, lol. 

We're indescribably lucky to have Bo Jackson and Cam Newton both come through AU within such a relatively small time frame.

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We're indescribably lucky to have Bo Jackson and Cam Newton both come through AU within such a relatively small time frame.

It's so crazy. Our highs are freaking HIGH.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:
15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It's so crazy. Our highs are freaking HIGH.

You'd think there would be a way to leverage that somehow...

Archived