Baseball vs MSU Game 2

For this thread: should Butch keep doing what he’s doing, or clear the bench and give some others opportunities?  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

This season is not winding down in a very good way.  Really need a good outing from Burns tomorrow to stop the bleeding.  

When playoff time comes I'm not sure it is gonna matter what the RPI is if we don't get the W-L record in better shape.....though perhaps those two issues go hand in hand. 

If your team is very unlikely to do anything except lose two and bar-b-que I don't see missing the playoff as a big issue. Discouraging season so far. Mize is about the only thing worth talking about.

just win baby!

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If your team is very unlikely to do anything except lose two and bar-b-que I don't see missing the playoff as a big issue. Discouraging season so far. Mize is about the only thing worth talking about.

You are probably right and I guess we (me) were fooled by the start the team made and the constant messaging from a number of folks that we were a top 5 program based on SOS and RPI comparisons......all before we got to SEC time of course.  

I think Mize has the potential to beat about any team he is likely to face if  AU can find a way to squeeze out a couple runs for him...but otherwise, there really needs to be an "ah hah" moment with the batters .... I hesitate to call most of them hitters right now.   

IMO it is always worth going to a tournament....you just never know what can happen....and man it's baseball ! ! ! ...it's a fun game to play. 

damn guys, we gave Bruce Pearl 4 years to turn it around to even sniff postseason, and now people are talking about a quick trigger on a coach trying to build a program similarly who has led one partial season and then went ONE WIN AWAY FROM A SUPER last year? If that’s the case, Auburn doesn’t deserve him and we’ll cuss him for decades when he hands it to us in Starkville. I’ll never understand Auburn fans...

1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

damn guys, we gave Bruce Pearl 4 years to turn it around to even sniff postseason, and now people are talking about a quick trigger on a coach trying to build a program similarly who has led one partial season and then went ONE WIN AWAY FROM A SUPER last year? If that’s the case, Auburn doesn’t deserve him and we’ll cuss him for decades when he hands it to us in Starkville. I’ll never understand Auburn fans...

Nobody is talking about a quick trigger on the coach. That would be insane. We are talking about a team that has been disappointing to date.

my bad....you are right. I think I was spoiled with us coming out of the gate like lightening. I hope Butch is the man to be here a long time, but he needs to find a way to get things back on a winning track.

Butch seems to have a lot of support....the only persons apparently hinting (or maybe not) about quick triggers are those suggesting he might run off to MSU after this season.  Personally I don't see it  but someone has been bouncing that idea around. 

I’m not in a hurry to fire coaches in any of the sports, but I am ready to have a consistent top tier program in one of the big 3 men’s sports. I’m not asking for annual championships, but having a good 3 or 4 year run of regionals in baseball would be nice. Or 3-4 consecutive seasons of 10 wins in football. Or 3-4 straight NCAA appearances in basketball. The lack of consistency and inability to sustain success is leading to frustration for a lot of us, and this baseball season is the latest manifestation of it. I’m a big fan of Butch, and hope he rights the ship this year and beyond. 

who will be our starting pitcher tomorrow?  I wonder who will be on the mound for MSU as well?  We have a chance to take some series ahead if we can get the bats out of the cold. It will not be easy with LSU, Florida and Ole Miss but maybe the bats will come around and give us a chance to play some good ball against those teams. It seems like our pitching does well except for a bad inning or 2 and with scoring 1-3 runs per game, we are putting ourselves in deep holes to overcome. It would be so nice to see us come out tomorrow and beat the mutts 13-3!

16 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

who will be our starting pitcher tomorrow?  I wonder who will be on the mound for MSU as well?  We have a chance to take some series ahead if we can get the bats out of the cold. It will not be easy with LSU, Florida and Ole Miss but maybe the bats will come around and give us a chance to play some good ball against those teams. It seems like our pitching does well except for a bad inning or 2 and with scoring 1-3 runs per game, we are putting ourselves in deep holes to overcome. It would be so nice to see us come out tomorrow and beat the mutts 13-3!

Would be nice to see some hitting throughout a game....we seem to bunch up our activity for one inning (often early in a game) and then the hitting just seems to dry up....especially when we get someone in scoring position. 

Mitchell did a great job today but the game was about over when he took the mound.

Guessing Tanner Burns to start tomorrow and he's been good for 4 or 5 innings....after that?   someone (Welby?)  ...and then Greenhill in the 8th if the game is close. JMO

32 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Tanner Burns will start for us. Jacob Billingsley will start for Miss St. I believe we faced Billingsley last year at State and beat him, but that doesn’t mean much with our offense. 

At this point, I don’t expect the bats to come around. We’re 14 games into the SEC season, and we don’t have a single regular starter hitting over .250 in conference play. We have 4 guys hitting below .200. I’ll gladly eat crow if things turn for the better though. 

Just reading about the players only meeting last week after the Arky series...had not noticed any discussion on here about it.    Despite meeting, not much has seemed to change.....Mize is still the stud and nobody is hitting.

Archived