Baseball vs MSU Game 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is really frustrating watching MSU hit first pitch fastballs into gaps and then seeing us turn around and take first pitch fastball down the middle on so many at bats, then going on to swing at garbage out of the zone. I don’t know if it’s an approach that Gross wants, but whatever it is, it ain’t working, and needs to change. 

Auburn players need to get back to the basics. They try too hard to make the big plays and they don't make the crucial routine small ones. 

2 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Been several times this season our Saturday starter hasn’t gotten out of the fourth/fifth and it really taxes our bullpen for Saturday/Sunday. It’s time to move Tanner to Saturday

DD has taken a beating his last three outings......his ERA this month must be in double digits.....don't recall that he has made it through 3 innings in each appearance.   Feel bad for him but not sure we can afford for him to be starting until he figures something out.

3 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Been several times this season our Saturday starter hasn’t gotten out of the fourth/fifth and it really taxes our bullpen for Saturday/Sunday. It’s time to move Tanner to Saturday

I've wondered if following in Casey's footsteps on Saturday messes with DD's head somehow. He is like a roller coaster. Sunday might be the best place for him.

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

Auburn with no offensive confidence. 9 pitches needed for the B5. 

7-2 MSU to the 6th 

What happened to battling at the plate.....being competitive and getting the starter's pitch count up? AU is so timid.

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

What happened to battling at the plate.....being competitive and getting the starter's pitch count up? AU is so timid.

7-2 happened. Gotta do something different when you can’t score. We just have bad contact hitters. Too many pop ups, too many swing and misses, too many weakly hit ground balls. Not getting the same line drives directly to fielders today. Had one good inning in the third but since our pitching gave those runs back, we’ve continued to look like we have no solid approach at the plate. There are certain things a team can do to try and get going at the plate and last inning is the first time I’ve seen us try and be much more aggressive at the plate all day, and it’s not getting us anywhere just because I don’t think our hitters are very talented against sec pitching. Hopefully they will improve, but we have yet to square up a pitch outside the third inning. 

Competitive at bats win you games. We not having competitive at bats. As long as this keeps up, we will not be successful. Approach to the plate needs to change. 

7-2 MSU to the 7th. 

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

7-2 happened. Gotta do something different when you can’t score. We just have bad contact hitters. Too many pop ups, too many swing and misses, too many weakly hit ground balls. Not getting the same line drives directly to fielders today. Had one good inning in the third but since our pitching gave those runs back, we’ve continued to look like we have no solid approach at the plate. There are certain things a team can do to try and get going at the plate and last inning is the first time I’ve seen us try and be much more aggressive at the plate all day, and it’s not getting us anywhere just because I don’t think our hitters are very talented against sec pitching. Hopefully they will improve, but we have yet to square up a pitch outside the third inning. 

Well.....getting the starter out makes the chances of getting some runs a little easier. 

9 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Well.....getting the starter out makes the chances of getting some runs a little easier. 

Not necessarily if we have seen the pitcher 3 times through the order already. Especially while his pitch count is as high as it is. I’d go right at him now. I don’t think our guys are being aggressive enough right now. Late in the pitch count if like to see more first pitch swinging if he’s just gonna run a fastball down the middle on almost every batter.

9 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Competitive at bats win you games. We not having competitive at bats. As long as this keeps up, we will not be successful. Approach to the plate needs to change. 

7-2 MSU to the 7th. 

Eh, we’ll disagree on the approach being an issue. Outside of about an inning of four guys looking foolish on some bad pitches, I think guys have been looking for their pitches. Think the problem lies more with execution over approach.  Just outclassed by a lot of pitchers at the moment 

Mitchell back out for the eighth. Nice job eating some innings today and his stuff has looked the best it has since the injury.  Encouraging.

That at bat was just pitiful.....and a bunt back to the pitcher to end it....:angry:

Just now, SCTiger2011 said:

Eh, we’ll disagree on the approach being an issue. Outside of about an inning of four guys looking foolish on some bad pitches, I think guys have been looking for their pitches. Think the problem lies more with execution over approach.  Just outclassed by a lot of pitchers at the moment 

Do you think we should be more patient? It seems to me like we letting first pitch fastballs go by a lot. This pitcher has thrown over 110 pitches. Take advantage of a guy you’ve seen 3 times before chasing a reliever into the game whom you haven’t seen yet. 

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Do you think we should be more patient? It seems to me like we letting first pitch fastballs go by a lot. This pitcher has thrown over 110 pitches. Take advantage of a guy you’ve seen 3 times before chasing a reliever into the game whom you haven’t seen yet. 

Getting hittable pitches and putting them in play. Just not squaring them up.  

Elliott Anderson completes the 6 scoreless inning performance by the AU bullpen. Time to stick around for the 6-run Auburn 9th. Should be fun.

edit: 6 innings of 1 run ball

This season is not winding down in a very good way.  Really need a good outing from Burns tomorrow to stop the bleeding.  

When playoff time comes I'm not sure it is gonna matter what the RPI is if we don't get the W-L record in better shape.....though perhaps those two issues go hand in hand. 

15 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Not necessarily if we have seen the pitcher 3 times through the order already. Especially while his pitch count is as high as it is. I’d go right at him now. I don’t think our guys are being aggressive enough right now. Late in the pitch count if like to see more first pitch swinging if he’s just gonna run a fastball down the middle on almost every batter.

I wasn't necessarily talking about 3 times through the order.....AU batters haven't been competitive much at all. This guy lasted 7 innings and didn't have to work that hard. Opposing pitchers aren't really all that worried about AU batters. 

Archived