GwillMac6

Texas A&M Spring game

Recommended Posts

Love that their QB's went live in their spring game. At this time a Auburn board is probaly not the BEST outlet to share this opinion on with all the injuries we have had but it def is a great idea for a team with a open QB competition. It shined a big light on who should be the starter and that is def Starkel. He is a prototypical Jimbo QB and can sling the rock. They went 1's vs 1's as well. Starkel has a hose. He can make basically every throw. Ausbon is a stud.  He will be The next great college WR for TAMU. They have been on a run with them lately from Mike Evans to Kirk and now to Ausbon. Mond is just not a good passer of the football at all. He needs to transfer out to UCLA or somewhere with a coach known for DT's because a pass first offense is not what he needs to be in.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

in their spring game. At this time a Auburn board is probaly not the BEST outlet to share this opinion on with all the injuries we have had but it def is a great idea for a team with a open QB competition. It shined a big light on who should be the starter and that is def Starkel. He is a prototypical Jimbo QB and can sling the rock. They went 1's vs 1's as well. Starkel has a hose. He can make basically every throw. Ausbon is a stud.  He will be The next great college WR for TAMU. They have been on a run with them lately from Mike Evans to Kirk and now to Ausbon. Mond is just not a good passer of the football at all. He needs to transfer out to UCLA or somewhere with a coach known for DT's because a pass first offense is not what he needs to be in.

I would love to see a Spring game with Auburn and someone like Troy. First half you play your ones and second half you play everyone else. I'm a dreamer, it'll never happen of course. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I would love to see a Spring game with Auburn and someone like Troy. First half you play your ones and second half you play everyone else. I'm a dreamer, it'll never happen of course. 

HEY! I dig your idea! You got me on your side fam! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Love that their QB's went live in their spring game. At this time a Auburn board is probaly not the BEST outlet to share this opinion on with all the injuries we have had but it def is a great idea for a team with a open QB competition. It shined a big light on who should be the starter and that is def Starkel. He is a prototypical Jimbo QB and can sling the rock. They went 1's vs 1's as well. Starkel has a hose. He can make basically every throw. Ausbon is a stud.  He will be The next great college WR for TAMU. They have been on a run with them lately from Mike Evans to Kirk and now to Ausbon. Mond is just not a good passer of the football at all. He needs to transfer out to UCLA or somewhere with a coach known for DT's because a pass first offense is not what he needs to be in.

Good assessment. My son is a student there and says the enthusiasm for Fisher is through the roof. A lot of people have forgotten, but TAMU was a national power in the 90s with Slocum, and they feel like they can return to that with Jimbo. They certainly have all the resources to do it. And Starkel does have a rocket for an arm. The SEC West remains strong. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh the hype is definitely alive out here.  Jimbo has really reinvigorated the base and from what I've seen, the team is really coming together. They will compete for the west very shortly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Oh the hype is definitely alive out here.  Jimbo has really reinvigorated the base and from what I've seen, the team is really coming together. They will compete for the west very shortly.

He is a elite recruiter himself and has 2 of the best recruiters in the country on his staff in d craig and brewster to make this a reality. I would not be shocked to see them have a top 5-7 class in recruiting as early as this year or next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Good assessment. My son is a student there and says the enthusiasm for Fisher is through the roof. A lot of people have forgotten, but TAMU was a national power in the 90s with Slocum, and they feel like they can return to that with Jimbo. They certainly have all the resources to do it. And Starkel does have a rocket for an arm. The SEC West remains strong. 

They FINALLY threw their money around like it should be. They wanted a top tier coach and they realized they had to go above and beyond anyone else to make it happen. The only way they were pulling him from fsu was basically making it impossible for fsu to not only match but even come close to the total money. Putting that oil money to good use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Jimbo Fisher won a NC at Florida State. Jimbo is one of only 4 active head coaches that have won a NC. Saban, Urban Meyer, Dabo, and Jimbo are the only active coaches at the FBS level that have won NC's. So you know, I don't have to see it to believe that Jimbo can turn A&M into a powerhouse program in the SEC.

I'm sure LSU fans aren't happy right now that Texas A&M's got Fisher and they don't.... They really wanted Jimbo Fisher but they ended up keeping Les Miles until the start of the 2016 season and now they've got Ed Orgeron.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimbo is a dang good coach. Not betting against him. They will definitely compete at a high level this year, just don't know if it will mean much in his first. I do wish we can have 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 as well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DAG said:

Jimbo is a dang good coach. Not betting against him. They will definitely compete at a high level this year, just don't know if it will mean much in his first. I do wish we can have 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 as well.

Yeah....but so what....about every coach in the SEC is a dang good coach and all the schools with one or two exceptions will compete at a high level.   A school can have a good coach and a good team and still lose a lot of conference games.    

I have not looked at the composite schedule yet but considering what the West has this year...plus some East teams on the rise, I'm thinking that the scheduling will play a bigger role in how things shake out than the quality to the coach or teams.      But just looking at the aggies, they have a poor schedule....Clemson is first serious game at their place ....but they play AU and Bama, USCe and Miss State on the road which provides a very good opportunity to lose 2 or 3 conference games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yeah....but so what....about every coach in the SEC is a dang good coach and all the schools with one or two exceptions will compete at a high level.   A school can have a good coach and a good team and still lose a lot of conference games.    

I have not looked at the composite schedule yet but considering what the West has this year...plus some East teams on the rise, I'm thinking that the scheduling will play a bigger role in how things shake out than the quality to the coach or teams.      But just looking at the aggies, they have a poor schedule....Clemson is first serious game at their place ....but they play AU and Bama, USCe and Miss State on the road which provides a very good opportunity to lose 2 or 3 conference games.

4

You are not going to lose a lot of conference games with a good coach and a good team. The SEC is far from having dang good coaches. I would take the big ten coaches top to bottom over the SEC coaches. The fact of that matter, a lot of SEC coaches have been underperforming with the talent they have, this includes coach Gus Malzhan.  Kevin Sumlin, Coach O, and Gus tbh. These are coaches with top ten talent year in and year out who have won 7 to 8 games on a consistent base. It just so happened Gus had a breakthrough season last year. Same goes for Butch Jones at Tennessee. Also, the SEC was very much top heavy last year, but the conference as a whole WAS NOT THAT GOOD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yeah....but so what....about every coach in the SEC is a dang good coach and all the schools with one or two exceptions will compete at a high level.   A school can have a good coach and a good team and still lose a lot of conference games.    

I have not looked at the composite schedule yet but considering what the West has this year...plus some East teams on the rise, I'm thinking that the scheduling will play a bigger role in how things shake out than the quality to the coach or teams.      But just looking at the aggies, they have a poor schedule....Clemson is first serious game at their place ....but they play AU and Bama, USCe and Miss State on the road which provides a very good opportunity to lose 2 or 3 conference games.

Completely disagree. Look at the Sec Coaches from the 2008 season and compare them to now. There has been a exodus of coaching talent from the SEC in recent years. Florida still had Urbs the second best coach in the country. South Carolina had Steve Spurrier. Arkansas just got Bobby Petrino. Lsu had Les Miles. Georgia had Mark Richt. We still Had Tubs. Fulmer was still at Rocky Top. Rich Brooks who imo is underrated for what he did at Kentucky was still around. Houston Nutt who is solid was at Ole Miss. Very Strong group. Just look at last year and how mediocre it was. Swamp donkey at florida. Lyle at Rocky Top. Sumlin was in the middle of flaming out at TAMU. Coach O who is a big downgrade from Les at LSU. Matt Luke at ole miss. I mean lol. Burt is getting run out of arky. I mean last year besides Saban who is elite obviously and the best in the game the next best coaches in no particular order are Mullen, Gus, Kirby, Boom and Mark Stoops. REALLY?!?!? That is not a strong crop at all. In 2008 you had the 2 best coaches in the country in saban and urbs. Now? It is saban and everyone else until Jimbo arrived who is very proven. That is the first big coup of a hire the sec has had in a long time. It was greatly needed to replenish the sec coaching talent pool. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Completely disagree. Look at the Sec Coaches from the 2008 season and compare them to now. There has been a exodus of coaching talent from the SEC in recent years. Florida still had Urbs the second best coach in the country. South Carolina had Steve Spurrier. Arkansas just got Bobby Petrino. Lsu had Les Miles. Georgia had Mark Richt. We still Had Tubs. Fulmer was still at Rocky Top. Rich Brooks who imo is underrated for what he did at Kentucky was still around. Houston Nutt who is solid was at Ole Miss. Very Strong group. Just look at last year and how mediocre it was. Swamp donkey at florida. Lyle at Rocky Top. Sumlin was in the middle of flaming out at TAMU. Coach O who is a big downgrade from Les at LSU. Matt Luke at ole miss. I mean lol. Burt is getting run out of arky. I mean last year besides Saban who is elite obviously and the best in the game the next best coaches in no particular order are Mullen, Gus, Kirby, Boom and Mark Stoops. REALLY?!?!? That is not a strong crop at all. In 2008 you had the 2 best coaches in the country in saban and urbs. Now? It is saban and everyone else until Jimbo arrived who is very proven. That is the first big coup of a hire the sec has had in a long time. It was greatly needed to replenish the sec coaching talent pool. 

I think the SEC is in the rebuilding stage with coaches now....a bunch of new guys coaching in a league where as I suggested above, you can have a good team and still lose a bunch of games.  

2008 is not a very good benchmark in my view since that was before Nick moved to the SEC and established his recruiting machine.  In my view,  he became the cause of the major exodus of coaches.   In the pre-saban era, the league was much more balanced and lots of coaches looked pretty good for a while until the power base shifted.  

I still contend that all of these guys are pretty good...or they would be in the Sun Belt or somewhere like that.  And yes, Jimbo is a nice addition to the conference and will be interesting to see how it works out for him and his ten year guaranteed contract which makes him look like Nick II.   But, unless he gets himself a couple 5* QB prospects right away, he is gonna have the same problems that the other coaches have.....a top ten recruiting class when you are playing 2 or 3 Top FIVE teams does not guarantee success.   If he loses fewer than 3 games this season he should be in the running for COY. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Jimbo Fisher won a NC at Florida State. Jimbo is one of only 4 active head coaches that have won a NC. Saban, Urban Meyer, Dabo, and Jimbo are the only active coaches at the FBS level that have won NC's. So you know, I don't have to see it to believe that Jimbo can turn A&M into a powerhouse program in the SEC.

I'm sure LSU fans aren't happy right now that Texas A&M's got Fisher and they don't.... They really wanted Jimbo Fisher but they ended up keeping Les Miles until the start of the 2016 season and now they've got Ed Orgeron.

And in just the SEC West division Fisher will be facing a tougher schedule than what he faced in the ACC. Not to mention South Carolina and Kentucky from the East. Oh. and I almost overlooked that September 8th date against Clemson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I think the SEC is in the rebuilding stage with coaches now....a bunch of new guys coaching in a league where as I suggested above, you can have a good team and still lose a bunch of games.  

2008 is not a very good benchmark in my view since that was before Nick moved to the SEC and established his recruiting machine.  In my view,  he became the cause of the major exodus of coaches.   In the pre-saban era, the league was much more balanced and lots of coaches looked pretty good for a while until the power base shifted.  

I still contend that all of these guys are pretty good...or they would be in the Sun Belt or somewhere like that.  And yes, Jimbo is a nice addition to the conference and will be interesting to see how it works out for him and his ten year guaranteed contract which makes him look like Nick II.   But, unless he gets himself a couple 5* QB prospects right away, he is gonna have the same problems that the other coaches have.....a top ten recruiting class when you are playing 2 or 3 Top FIVE teams does not guarantee success.   If he loses fewer than 3 games this season he should be in the running for COY. 

No one is saying he is going to contend this year. We are saying he will build something and in a couple of years TAMU will be contending for the SEC and be right in the thick of things.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SEC's group of basketball coaches even has a stronger reputation as a whole than the group of football coaches.

Sure, no Saban in the bball group but top to bottom it's not even a comparison. 

Jimbo walked into the SEC and is arguably the 2nd best coach before even coaching a game. But overall, the SEC closer to a valley than a peak in regards to the coaches leading programs IMO, especially when you consider the list of heavyweights that were coaching in the league at the same time at one point -- as @GwillMac6 mentioned.

 

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

No one is saying he is going to contend this year. We are saying he will build something and in a couple of years TAMU will be contending for the SEC and be right in the thick of things.

Understand....just saying that building anything in the West at a school with high expectations ..in his case $98 million or whatever it is.....I'm not seeing him satisfying those fans for long.   Agree they will be a school that nobody will over-look .....but like AU, the schedule works against him with two almost unwinnable road games every year....until the guy across the state calls it a career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm. The coach who got his national championship by beating our coach goes to a divisional rival who has infinitely more resources than his previous employer, for whom he recruited at an elite level just about every year he was there. Count me among those who are not happy with this development.

(saban loses his top lieutenant, and the guy not only stays in the SEC, but goes to a team on our permanent schedule, where he recruits at an even higher level than he had previously.

National championship-winning coach leaves the ACC for... a divisional rival, who has the biggest stadium in the land and all the resources in the world to back that up. And this was, of course, after it was his ACC team that we faced for that national title that they won and we didn't. 

So much of JABA has nothing to do with what A is actually B-ing.)

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Hmm. The coach who got his national championship by beating our coach goes to a divisional rival who has infinitely more resources than his previous employer, for whom he recruited at an elite level just about every year he was there. Count me among those who are not happy with this development.

(saban loses his top lieutenant, and the guy not only stays in the SEC, but goes to a team on our permanent schedule, where he recruits at an even higher level than he had previously.

National championship-winning coach leaves the ACC for... a divisional rival, who has the biggest stadium in the land and all the resources in the world to back that up. And this was, of course, after it was his ACC team that we faced for that national title that they won and we didn't. 

So much of JABA has nothing to do with what A is actually B-ing.)

Best believe they going to do it big in Texas . Like I said I don’t think they will do a whole lot this year, but once he starts getting his people in there...

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hmm. The coach who got his national championship by beating our coach goes to a divisional rival who has infinitely more resources than his previous employer, for whom he recruited at an elite level just about every year he was there. Count me among those who are not happy with this development.

(saban loses his top lieutenant, and the guy not only stays in the SEC, but goes to a team on our permanent schedule, where he recruits at an even higher level than he had previously.

National championship-winning coach leaves the ACC for... a divisional rival, who has the biggest stadium in the land and all the resources in the world to back that up. And this was, of course, after it was his ACC team that we faced for that national title that they won and we didn't. 

So much of JABA has nothing to do with what A is actually B-ing.)

This must not be the same coach who went 7-6 last year. lost to Boston College of all things?   Must be someone else.... My only other thought on the matter is that it sure would have been nice to have the new KO rule in place 4 or 5 years ago....:)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AU64 said:

This must not be the same coach who went 7-6 last year. lost to Boston College of all things?   Must be someone else.... My only other thought on the matter is that it sure would have been nice to have the new KO rule in place 4 or 5 years ago....:)  

Nope, same guy. 

Ask Gus what happens when his QB goes down. Or are we just pretending that 2015 and 2016 didn't happen? 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

This must not be the same coach who went 7-6 last year. lost to Boston College of all things?   Must be someone else.... My only other thought on the matter is that it sure would have been nice to have the new KO rule in place 4 or 5 years ago....:)  

He gets a pass for going 7-6 when the previous 5 seasons he went: 10-3,10-3, 13-1, 14-0 and 12-2. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GwillMac6 said:

He gets a pass for going 7-6 when the previous 5 seasons he went: 10-3,10-3, 13-1, 14-0 and 12-2. 

Having back to back NFL QBs might have had something to do with that success.... JW was trouble-walking but Jimbo managed to keep him out of jail and he was a heck of a QB.   

In my view, Jimbo is like most coaches ....not much better than his QB.....which is why Harbaugh needs to find a QB before the Mich fans get tired of his act too.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He gets a pass for going 7-6 when the previous 5 seasons he went: 10-3,10-3, 13-1, 14-0 and 12-2. 

But we had a great month last season (before losing our last 2 games)!

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now