Texas A&M Spring game

GwillMac6

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Having back to back NFL QBs might have had something to do with that success.... JW was trouble-walking but Jimbo managed to keep him out of jail and he was a heck of a QB.   

In my view, Jimbo is like most coaches ....not much better than his QB.....which is why Harbaugh needs to find a QB before the Mich fans get tired of his act too.    

He got Ponder and frickin EJ Manuel to be first round picks. He is a great QB coach. The best at the college level. He totally gets credit for those. He recruited them. Why would it be a negative that he had NFL qbs who played for him? That is the goal.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

But we had a great month last season (before losing our last 2 games)!

OHH LOOOOF YOU GET MUHHHHH MAN! hahaha.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

He got Ponder and frickin EJ Manuel to be first round picks. He is a great QB coach. The best at the college level. He totally gets credit for those. He recruited them. Why would it be a negative that he had NFL qbs who played for him? That is the goal.

Not negative, just noting what when he did not have an NFL level QB he was like Matt Luke or someone....well, maybe better than that but I watched a couple of their games last year and their offense was awful. 

He's gonna be a problem out there....no doubt.... but it's gonna depend on his recruiting....and of course he missed most of this year so might be a couple years to see what he can do.  

Just now, AU64 said:

Not negative, just noting what when he did not have an NFL level QB he was like Matt Luke or someone....well, maybe better than that but I watched a couple of their games last year and their offense was awful. 

He's gonna be a problem out there....no doubt.... but it's gonna depend on his recruiting....and of course he missed most of this year so might be a couple years to see what he can do.  

HE won 10 games with everett golson and sean maguire. That is impressive. Both are average at best. He won 10 games last year with a true freshmen QB. He lost his starter and we allllllllllllllllllllll know what that is like. Not every backup QB out there is going to be a cardale jones! haha.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hmm. The coach who got his national championship by beating our coach goes to a divisional rival who has infinitely more resources than his previous employer, for whom he recruited at an elite level just about every year he was there. Count me among those who are not happy with this development.

(saban loses his top lieutenant, and the guy not only stays in the SEC, but goes to a team on our permanent schedule, where he recruits at an even higher level than he had previously.

National championship-winning coach leaves the ACC for... a divisional rival, who has the biggest stadium in the land and all the resources in the world to back that up. And this was, of course, after it was his ACC team that we faced for that national title that they won and we didn't. 

So much of JABA has nothing to do with what A is actually B-ing.)

Awfully well said.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

HE won 10 games with everett golson and sean maguire. That is impressive. Both are average at best. He won 10 games last year with a true freshmen QB. He lost his starter and we allllllllllllllllllllll know what that is like. Not every backup QB out there is going to be a cardale jones! haha.

We only make allowances when it happens to other coaches ?   And Goldson was  former ND quarterback so we know he was good....:)

Well...this is all just talk....won't be that long now that we will see what happens....they hit Clemson second game at home....should be a game worth watching....and by the way the new QB (from some HS in Georgia) looked great in the Clemson spring game I hear......Bryant might be a thing of the past now. 

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Having back to back NFL QBs might have had something to do with that success.... JW was trouble-walking but Jimbo managed to keep him out of jail and he was a heck of a QB.   

In my view, Jimbo is like most coaches ....not much better than his QB.....which is why Harbaugh needs to find a QB before the Mich fans get tired of his act too.    

but having a good to great QB is necessary for every level of football 64. What separates the good coaches from the great coaches is consistency and how do you manage the game against teams of equal talent. Rarely, at any level, do I find a team, who does not have a good QB and wins it all. Rarely. What you are foregoing is a lot of the times, several of the top teams all have good QBs. So, what ultimately is going to make the difference?  Come September, both Auburn and Washington will have NFL caliber QBs.  We also will have equal value in terms of defense. So, what is going to make the difference? QB is important but that is not the only thing that defines a coach.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

but having a good to great QB is necessary for every level of football 64. What separates the good coaches from the great coaches is consistency and how do you manage the game against teams of equal talent. Rarely, at any level, do I find a team, who does not have a good QB and wins it all. Rarely. What you are foregoing is a lot of the times, several of the top teams all have good QBs. So, what ultimately is going to make the difference?  Come September, both Auburn and Washington will have NFL caliber QBs.  We also will have equal value in terms of defense. So, what is going to make the difference? QB is important but that is not the only thing that defines a coach.

Somebody's going to say Trent Dilfer says Hi, because someone always says that, because he's the only one.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

QB is probably the difference maker.   JMO but I would take Browning over JS for that opening game...he's been a starter for 3 years now and got the experience factor in his favor.  Should be a really good game....much as we like playing in Atlanta...:) 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Somebody's going to say Trent Dilfer says Hi, because someone always says that, because he's the only one.

Of course which is why I said rarely haha. You could possibly argue that 2004 LSU teams as well, who had Matt Mauck. Technically he did get drafted in the 7th round but he only played 1 game ever in the NFL. Oh and this is one of those Nick Saban teams. Of course, he gets zero credit for it lol.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

7-6 is only okay when it happens to ours?

well not really....don't recall that I said that...

Just now, McLoofus said:

You inferred it.

I intended to infer that AU fans rarely cut our coaches any slack....where as they are more willing to do so for the opposition.    Few posters take a critical look at coaching decisions made by our opponents that work to our benefit.    Just my observations based on the comments I've seen over the years. :dunno:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I intended to infer that AU fans rarely cut our coaches any slack....where as they are more willing to do so for the opposition.    Few posters take a critical look at coaching decisions made by our opponents that work to our benefit.    Just my observations based on the comments I've seen over the years. :dunno:

64 you know on other fan bases board they do the say damn thing. Just check out uga boards when Richt was there and he was winning 10 games a year on average. Fans are fans 

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

64 you know on other fan bases board they do the say damn thing. Just check out uga boards when Richt was there and he was winning 10 games a year on average. Fans are fans 

Thanks....I don't do any cruising on other sites so only see what goes on here....but guess I'm not surprised. Too bad ,   though probably coaches 'consider the sources" and don't pay much  any attention to it.....

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....I don't do any cruising on other sites so only see what goes on here....but guess I'm not surprised. Too bad ,   though probably coaches 'consider the sources" and don't pay much  any attention to it.....

That's the key.  Whether we're talking over a bar or typing in a forum fans are fans and coaches really only listen to the applause.

With what you have observed of thUga or bammer fans (among others) do you really think they are that much smarter than AU fans when talking amongst themselves (so to speak)?  Bammers have proven to literally kill each other for not cheering good enough for goodness sake.  

I'd bet the criticism on this board is PROBABLY much more civil than most... Among "elite" programs anyway.  Vandy's board is probably pretty nice :jossun:

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That's the key.  Whether we're talking over a bar or typing in a forum fans are fans and coaches really only listen to the applause.

With what you have observed of thUga or bammer fans (among others) do you really think they are that much smarter than AU fans when talking amongst themselves (so to speak)?  Bammers have proven to literally kill each other for not cheering good enough for goodness sake.  

I'd bet the criticism on this board is PROBABLY much more civil than most... Among "elite" programs anyway.  Vandy's board is probably pretty nice :jossun:

I clicked the trophy thingie but I've exceeded my emotion allotment. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I clicked the trophy thingie but I've exceeded my emotion allotment

'tsOK

Be Cool

19 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I'll add that it is more prevalent in the SEC. Our conference has set the standard for demanding perfection even when the odds of achieving it are astronomical. Very few programs come close and no other conferences, as a whole, are even in the same area code.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Vandy's board is probably pretty nice :jossun:

Vandy is a unique bird in many ways. I have a couple of friends who went to Vandy... the describe their fan base as the cheapest bunch of SOBs you'll ever meet. They don't show up in mass to much of anything unless it's free. They are pretty cool when they do show up, however.

I am late to this discussion but its a good one. I believe Jimbo will excel at TAMU. He has been groomed by the best in big time programs, won a Natty, made the playoffs a year later, and strung together several 11-12 win season. Our fan base is pretty smart, but we have been wrong on several coaches. Just a few years ago we were making fun of Dabo, but no one is laughing now. Sherrill and Slocum both won big at TAMU so they are not new to winning. Jimbo brings the experience and swag to take advantage of all those resources, including the Houston metro recruiting. AU needs to get more consistent real fast, and we need for Arky, MSU, and OM to take a step or two back. 

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Jimbo brings the experience and swag to take advantage of all those resources

You forgot "and a willingness to do whatever it takes"

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

need for Arky, MSU, and OM to take a step or two back. 

I'm thinking up in the air, maybe done and very likely done.

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm thinking up in the air, maybe done and very likely done.

Yeah. Those were 3 pretty bad teams last year, and the best one of the bunch just got their coach poached. 

The only way Arkansas could take a step back would be to go 0-8 in conference instead of 1-7. 

Totally agree with what @Gowebb11 said about Jimbo and TAMU though. 

39 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I am late to this discussion but its a good one. I believe Jimbo will excel at TAMU. He has been groomed by the best in big time programs, won a Natty, made the playoffs a year later, and strung together several 11-12 win season. Our fan base is pretty smart, but we have been wrong on several coaches. Just a few years ago we were making fun of Dabo, but no one is laughing now. Sherrill and Slocum both won big at TAMU so they are not new to winning. Jimbo brings the experience and swag to take advantage of all those resources, including the Houston metro recruiting. AU needs to get more consistent real fast, and we need for Arky, MSU, and OM to take a step or two back. 

Not only is jimbo a top 5 coach in the country BUT he has 2 top 10 recruiters in the whole country in tim brewster and our boy D craig to boot. Those 3 elite recruiters in a talent rich state? Yah tamu is going to be a force soon.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Those were 3 pretty bad teams last year, and the best one of the bunch just got their coach poached. 

The only way Arkansas could take a step back would be to go 0-8 in conference instead of 1-7. 

Totally agree with what @Gowebb11 said about Jimbo and TAMU though. 

I'm willing to guarantee Arkansas will take a step forward, but this definitely going to be where we learn if Morris has what it takes to be a top head coach or if he's just a great OC. The size of the step forward hangs on that.

Archived