Texas A&M Spring game

GwillMac6

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Outside of an initial burst of excitement (ala AU '93 & '13) I see them basically on the same trajectory they were on with Sumlin.

Man, I hope you're right. (Sumlin had that initial burst, too.)

If aTm is really as "upstanding" as they seem/claim to be they need to make up their minds.  Either hire an upstanding coach of discipline and hope that works or they need to go all in and lie, cheat & steal with the bammers, tOSU's, USCw's of the world.  

Exactly. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I dunno, man. Sumlin seemed like the skeeziest coach in the SEC. I can't imagine Manziel was behaving himself that much more than Winston was. That crazy stadium they built... I'm just not buying that TAMU isn't prepared to be in the real business of college football. As for Texas keeping an eye on them, @GwillMac6, I don't see that, either. TAMU might have to be careful with the kids that UT is heavy in on, but otherwise they don't play each other anymore. 

Oh... I agree... That's why I'm a big fan of posting that little peace of their honor code every chance I get :)

I'm sorry, but doesn't AU claim to stand for the same things.  I've always heard that's what separates us from bama.  Ridiculous

15 hours ago, DAG said:

You act like Jimbo is not about to go crazy with recruiting too lol. Jimbo got some serious resources now at his disposal

You damn right he does, and he's got the people in place to pour out those resources to "help" him. 

aTm boosters made a power play when they went after Fisher, and they will not let him fail.  They've been goaded and chided from their in-state rivals since they join this conference and they're out for blood now and will back any play Jimbo needs to field a championship competitor.  

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm sorry, but doesn't AU claim to stand for the same things.  I've always heard that's what separates us from bama.  Ridiculous

I believe AU does stand for the same things, and they actually mean it. That's part of why some people around here complain that our compliance department is too strict and that our head coach's refusal to negative recruit hurts us on the trail. That's also why, when the NCAA gives us an 18 month colonoscopy, we come out clean and when we have a problem player, they end up playing for Petrino or no where at all. 

I'm not saying Auburn stands alone in operating with a level of integrity, heck, from what I can tell, Clemson is doing a good job of that as well, but there are certainly programs and coaches who put winning above EVERYTHING else.  bama is most definitely one of them and Jimbo has shown that he is too.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I believe AU does stand for the same things, and they actually mean it. That's part of why some people around here complain that our compliance department is too strict and that our head coach's refusal to negative recruit hurts us on the trail. That's also why, when the NCAA gives us an 18 month colonoscopy, we come out clean and when we have a problem player, they end up playing for Petrino or no where at all. 

I'm not saying Auburn stands alone in operating with a level of integrity, heck, from what I can tell, Clemson is doing a good job of that as well, but there are certainly programs and coaches who put winning above EVERYTHING else.  bama is most definitely one of them and Jimbo has shown that he is too.

So was Pat Dye

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

So was Pat Dye

You've been around me long enough to know my feelings about him........ Appreciate some of the things he did for Auburn, but not a fan.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I dunno, man. Sumlin seemed like the skeeziest coach in the SEC. I can't imagine Manziel was behaving himself that much more than Winston was. That crazy stadium they built... I'm just not buying that TAMU isn't prepared to be in the real business of college football. As for Texas keeping an eye on them, @GwillMac6, I don't see that, either. TAMU might have to be careful with the kids that UT is heavy in on, but otherwise they don't play each other anymore. 

Just specifically talking about CRUTIN! The series still is very much alive and heated in that area. It is only ramped up now that jimbo has arrived on the scene. It is going to be a all out battle in that state for recruits. 

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Just specifically talking about CRUTIN! The series still is very much alive and heated in that area. It is only ramped up now that jimbo has arrived on the scene. It is going to be a all out battle in that state for recruits. 

It's been fun

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's been fun

Oh, wow. That's serious business. They haven't played each other in 7 years!

All I know is all coaches have Pros and Cons. I tend to try to steer away from having any vendettas against coaches, just for the fact I know a good portion of our fanbase would feel very different if they were experiencing the success as some other programs. I also have to argue that we put winning above anything else when we go out of our way to recruit players who have had checkered pasts. I can name several highly talented individuals. Is it fair for them to get a second chance based on their talent when those scholarships could go to young men who have done all the right things? No, but life is not about being fair. I am always loyal to Auburn University, never a coach. If a coach does right by the school, then I am happy. I can understand why FSU brass felt some type of way towards Jimbo and I can also understand why the Aggies brass wants Jimbo. I can understand why AU paid Gus the money he was seemingly looking for. What I will say is throughout that whole process it just shows why I would never be loyal to Gus. Only AU. If Gus does right by AU in the meantime then I am a happy fan.

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I furiously typed about this a few months ago when Jimbo was hired.

Basically I called CJF, Sumlin 2.0.

I think one of Fisher's appeals to his team is a lack of oversight (see FSU's issues even beyond JW) and discipline.  Young men may like that but many (and often the best) players can't handle that kind of freedom at that stage in their lives.

Outside of an initial burst of excitement (ala AU '93 & '13) I see them basically on the same trajectory they were on with Sumlin.

If aTm is really as "upstanding" as they seem/claim to be they need to make up their minds.  Either hire an upstanding coach of discipline and hope that works or they need to go all in and lie, cheat & steal with the bammers, tOSU's, USCw's of the world.  

I just don't feel Fisher fits in either of those categories (nor did Sumlin).  Not bad guys (bloodthirsty cheaters) but not the models of ethical example either.

I wonder how far the other way the College Station authorities will look as compared to the Tallahassee-hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil-police.

36 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I wonder how far the other way the College Station authorities will look as compared to the Tallahassee-hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil-police.

Johnny Manziel never missed a start.

Seems the school/AD doesn't much care what the police have to say about anything. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

All I know is all coaches have Pros and Cons. I tend to try to steer away from having any vendettas against coaches, just for the fact I know a good portion of our fanbase would feel very different if they were experiencing the success as some other programs. I also have to argue that we put winning above anything else when we go out of our way to recruit players who have had checkered pasts. I can name several highly talented individuals. Is it fair for them to get a second chance based on their talent when those scholarships could go to young men who have done all the right things? No, but life is not about being fair. I am always loyal to Auburn University, never a coach. If a coach does right by the school, then I am happy. I can understand why FSU brass felt some type of way towards Jimbo and I can also understand why the Aggies brass wants Jimbo. I can understand why AU paid Gus the money he was seemingly looking for. What I will say is throughout that whole process it just shows why I would never be loyal to Gus. Only AU. If Gus does right by AU in the meantime then I am a happy fan.

Nicely said. Coaches today are few and far between being loyal to schools. The salaries these days makes them that way. That makes it difficult to have a loyalty to them. It's a job and they mostly treat it as such with few exceptions. 

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Nicely said. Coaches today are few and far between being loyal to schools. The salaries these days makes them that way. That makes it difficult to have a loyalty to them. It's a job and they mostly treat it as such with few exceptions. 

It goes both ways. When was the last time you saw a school be loyal to a coach?  

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Agree. 

40 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Nicely said. Coaches today are few and far between being loyal to schools. The salaries these days makes them that way. That makes it difficult to have a loyalty to them. It's a job and they mostly treat it as such with few exceptions

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Would the long-term K-State/Coach Snyder relationship represent such an exception?

Are there others?

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

From what you can tell?  May I ask where you get the impression that CU operates with integrity, within the rules and why you think their coach doesn't place winning above all else?

Clemson's operation and Dabo/Venebles have been called to the carpet on multiple occasions (privately) by others (not SEC) for the way Dabo has chosen to operate on the recruiting trail.  They recruit from the same pool as the rest of the big boy's and they have no choice but the play the game in order to pull in their studs.  And more than one program (B10&SEC) have had to suspend players for accepting $$ from CU during recruiting but ever signed with CU.

One (now former) SEC HC was in a pissing contest with CU through 2 recruiting cycles - they ended up going head to head on some high 4-5*'s with both coaches getting a share, but it was a vicious tug of war between those two programs.   Dabo got the lions share and won a NC for the first time in decades with their spoils while the SEC HC no longer has a freaking job.  

Clemson plays the game as well as anyone and now that they consider themselves perennial championship contenders, they place winning above ALL else.

9 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Would the long-term K-State/Coach Snyder relationship represent such an exception?

Are there others?

Not many anymore. That all kind of died off with the Paterno fiasco. 

9 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Are there others?

I'd be curious what offers Snyder has turned down. As for the other side of that, I'm not sure K-State has ever had the slightest temptation to go shopping. It would be interesting if he turned into a Bobby Bowden or Mack Brown- a hero who might have outstayed his welcome by a bit. Anyone can be fired if they wait long enough, I suppose. 

Chris Petersen stayed at Boise a good 5 years or more longer than he had to. But that might only further illustrate the rule than emphasize the exception.

I doubt we'll see much more of it in big time programs. Even saban's head will be on the chopping block if he stops winning too long before he starts retiring, IMO.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Each are only loyal to themselves. This is why I don’t get into creeds, pledges, Auburn men, etc. Human Nature is Human Nature. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd be curious what offers Snyder has turned down. As for the other side of that, I'm not sure K-State has ever had the slightest temptation to go shopping. It would be interesting if he turned into a Bobby Bowden or Mack Brown- a hero who might have outstayed his welcome by a bit. Anyone can be fired if they wait long enough, I suppose. 

Chris Petersen stayed at Boise a good 5 years or more longer than he had to. But that might only further illustrate the rule than emphasize the exception.

I doubt we'll see much more of it in big time programs. Even saban's head will be on the chopping block if he stops winning too long before he starts retiring, IMO.

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Not many anymore. That all kind of died off with the Paterno fiasco

Many, many thanks, both.

Google is my frenemy, especially when I'm clueless about the search parameters.

Based on a really, really brief look, I might consider that Coach Snyder turned down retirement (one-way loyalty?) and that his continued tenure shows some level reciprocal loyalty.

From a distance, it does (indeed), however, seem a rare thing.

4 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Many, many thanks, both.

Google is my frenemy, especially when I'm clueless about the search parameters.

Based on a really, really brief look, I might consider that Coach Snyder turned down retirement (one-way loyalty?) and that his continued tenure shows some level reciprocal loyalty.

From a distance, it does (indeed), however, seem a rare thing.

Man. I just did a little homework myself. My goodness, the job he has done there. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Man. I just did a little homework myself. My goodness, the job he has done there. 

Maybe they'll name a stadium after him or something.

Archived