Chick-fil-A’s Creepy Infiltration of New York City

Auburn85

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Spend you money where you want like any of us do......but the writer was going well beyond that....and other than the fact that comments about the deceased founder of Chic have been overblown,  the company is not the guy who founded it anyway. 

Deep breath. The company spends its profits on political activities dictated by the founder's personal beliefs. The company, in this case, is very much the man. That is why this is an interesting conversation. 

I am curious, by the way, what you think is overblown and why.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way 64, Cathy gets credit for all the good things, too. The amazing customer service, the commitment to quality... there's a lot to like about that company. Again, that's one of the reasons why people get so passionate about this. The chicken is really damn good. If I'm not mistaken, Chick-fil-A is also very good about hiring special-needs employees. I also happen to respect the Sunday thing. That is an extremely profitable company that could be making a TON more. It's all Cathy's vision, good and bad.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's very simple. It has nothing to do with Christianity. The Cathy family has, at least in the past, aggressively funded groups who fight against basic civil liberties for American citizens. So- again, at least in the past- when you spent money at their restaurants, you were in essence helping to fund the fight to deny your fellow citizen these liberties. 

It is not Chick-Fil-A's religion or views that are an issue. It is their actions, and how they have recirculated the money spent at their restaurants.

As for the article, yeah, I don't care for it. It's vague and meandering and just kinda comes across as butt-hurt. I can't tell if the author is more preoccupied with Chick-Fil-A's anti-gayness, the Cow campaign (it *is* creepy as hell), or the corporatization of New York. There are some valid points made, but it feels like the author is using CFA as a scapegoat to avoid talking directly to the consumer about their choices. 

Backing up for a second, as far as the article is concerned, it does appear to have something to do with Christianity and not just the founder's views on homosexuality.  From the article:

And yet the brand’s arrival here feels like an infiltration, in no small part because of its pervasive Christian traditionalism. Its headquarters, in Atlanta, are adorned with Bible verses and a statue of Jesus washing a disciple’s feet. Its stores close on Sundays. Its C.E.O., Dan Cathy, has been accused of bigotry for using the company's charitable wing to fund anti-gay causes, including groups that oppose same-sex marriage. “We’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation,” he once said, “when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’ ” The company has since reaffirmed its intention to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect,” but it has quietly continued to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups. When the first stand-alone New York location opened, in 2015, a throng of protesters appeared. When a location opened in a Queens mall, in 2016, Mayor Bill de Blasio proposed a boycott. No such controversy greeted the opening of this newest outpost. Chick-fil-A’s success here is a marketing coup. Its expansion raises questions about what we expect from our fast food, and to what extent a corporation can join a community...

...This emphasis on community, especially in the misguided nod to 9/11, suggests an ulterior motive. The restaurant’s corporate purpose still begins with the words “to glorify God,” and that proselytism thrums below the surface of the Fulton Street restaurant, which has the ersatz homespun ambiance of a megachurch...

..Its politics, its décor, and its commercial-evangelical messaging are inflected with this suburban piety.

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Backing up for a second, as far as the article is concerned, it does appear to have something to do with Christianity and not just the founder's views on homosexuality.  From the article:

I stand corrected. The article does specify Christianity. 

The larger negative reaction to CFA, such as the Washington fans who are possibly boycotting the game, is not.

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Hmm. Are their chicken biscuits delicious? One of many factors that must be weighed.

Biscuits are awful to damn sweet

16 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Depends.  Do you give a s*** about the political views of people who you buy sandwiches, electronics, musical albums, or other goods and services from?

Most of them don't publicize their religious or political beliefs, but why not?  

20 hours ago, RunInRed said:

This writer is off his rocker.  Seriously, WGAF?

If CFA's political views bother you that much, don't patron their business.  Simple, no?  But the irony is, articles like this will do nothing but embolden their legion of customers who support their traditional views.  So if his goal was to write some kinda of jab, it backfired.

I don't think it was meant as a "jab" - at least in particular.  The corporate religious association is kind of "creepy". 

If such a business was owned by Muslims (for example) who publicly advocated anti-Israeli sentiments (for example), it wouldn't sound so "creepy" to Christian Americans. At least that's the way New Yorkers might think of it, God bless 'em (the New Yorkers that is)

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

"And yet the brand’s arrival here feels like an infiltration, in no small part because of its pervasive Christian traditionalism. Its headquarters, in Atlanta, are adorned with Bible verses and a statue of Jesus washing a disciple’s feet. Its stores close on Sundays. Its C.E.O., Dan Cathy, has been accused of bigotry for using the company's charitable wing to fund anti-gay causes, including groups that oppose same-sex marriage. “We’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation,” he once said, “when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’ ” The company has since reaffirmed its intention to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect,” but it has quietly continued to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups. When the first stand-alone New York location opened, in 2015, a throng of protesters appeared. When a location opened in a Queens mall, in 2016, Mayor Bill de Blasio proposed a boycott. No such controversy greeted the opening of this newest outpost. Chick-fil-A’s success here is a marketing coup. Its expansion raises questions about what we expect from our fast food, and to what extent a corporation can join a community...

...This emphasis on community, especially in the misguided nod to 9/11, suggests an ulterior motive. The restaurant’s corporate purpose still begins with the words “to glorify God,” and that proselytism thrums below the surface of the Fulton Street restaurant, which has the ersatz homespun ambiance of a megachurch...

..Its politics, its décor, and its commercial-evangelical messaging are inflected with this suburban piety."

Seems pretty honest and straightforward to me. Do you consider this an attack on Christianity?

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe when he said that gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry people they love?

You may disagree and you may cite your faith as basis for that, but surely you understand why other people find that offensive and, at the very least, "negative"?

Would you mind showing me that quote? I don't believe he said that.

8 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Interesting article. Wish everyone in business catering to the public could attend the Chic-fil-A customer service training.

Well, the smart ones will undoubtedly study and emulate it.

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Seems pretty honest and straightforward to me. Do you consider this an attack on Christianity?

Doesn't seem like an attack. Pretty simple . If you do not like them or the right to their beliefs drive or walk on by. Leave the line shorter for us.

I've been thinking about this thread today. Maybe the writer thinks it is "creepy" that CFA is so successful. Maybe the writer thinks that CFA's success is supernatural - miraculous even! If I didn't believe that God exists, but I watched a company that claimed to believe in God grow by leaps and bounds and become the 3rd largest fast food restaurant and BY FAR the most well-run, I might find it creepy also. Just a thought.

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Had your nap and a toddy. ready to rumble I see Brother Homer

Always.

Actually, I spent most of my day at the vets in the aftermath of another dog fight this morning. I've got a real problem in that regard.  But it won't happen again - I guarantee it.

3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I've been thinking about this thread today. Maybe the writer thinks it is "creepy" that CFA is so successful. Maybe the writer thinks that CFA's success is supernatural - miraculous even! If I didn't believe that God exists, but I watched a company that claimed to believe in God grow by leaps and bounds and become the 3rd largest fast food restaurant and BY FAR the most well-run, I might find it creepy also. Just a thought.

You are thinking too much. ;D

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Always.

Actually, I spent most of my day at the vets in the aftermath of another dog fight this morning. I've got a real problem in that regard.  But it won't happen again - I guarantee it.

I can understand why your dogs stay pissed from your demeanor here. Further,  I did not ask for a recap of your day. Do not try shooting the dog.....you will end up shooting yourself.

Good evening Brother Homer.

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Biscuits are awful to damn sweet

You shut your whore mouth.

10 hours ago, AUDub said:

You shut your whore mouth.

Sorry Dub they are terrible just to sweet not really southern biscuits. Have to use White Lily flour to make real southern biscuits........Chick-Fil-A says they do use White Lily but its not White Lily you'll just have to trust me. 

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Sorry Dub they are terrible just to sweet not really southern biscuits. Have to use White Lily flour to make real southern biscuits........Chick-Fil-A says they do use White Lily but its not White Lily you'll just have to trust me. 

I love them, but I don't confuse them with "normal" southern buttermilk biscuits. They're their own thing. 

What do y'all think about the spicy chicken? 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I love them, but I don't confuse them with "normal" southern buttermilk biscuits. They're their own thing. 

What do y'all think about the spicy chicken

Never tried it

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Never tried it

It's awesome, but on the rare occasions that I go there, I have a hard time not getting the original. 

Archived