Chick-fil-A’s Creepy Infiltration of New York City

Auburn85

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

There's actually a large contingent of Washington fans who are refusing to travel to the opener in Atlanta because of this since the game is sponsored by Chick-Fil-A.

And I bet many of them are Christians. 

Even Cathy said he regretted the way they handled that before he died, but I'm not sure if the family still gives money to those organizations or not. It was reported in 2012 that they pledged to stop giving to those groups (after the Cathy comments), but then CFA released a statement that only muddied the waters on all of that. They don't confirm or deny a pledge, or that they previously gave to such groups, or that they planned to continue or stop giving to such groups. They only said that their giving had been "mischaracterized". 

But it's like a lot of us, including Aziz Ansari, said at the time. It only matters because those sandwiches are good as hell. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Do you have a link for that?  I live up here and haven't heard anything about that.  I'm busy trying to get some of my friends who are UW season ticket holders who aren't going to the game to let me buy their tix(!)  As for Chik-fil-a stores up here in WA, they are a relatively new thing.  The first store opened up in Bellevue in 2015 and has been swamped ever since.  Other store locations have followed due to the demand.  Here's a story on the latest:  WA loves some of that 'Eat more chikin'

I read it on one of their message boards while lurking a while back.  I work up there (company is headquartered up that way) and know a few folks who aren't going either because of it.  Could have changed, but that was the stance originally when the game was announced by a vocal set of fans.

Also, it won't be hard to get tickets.  You can get them through Auburn easily.  I did last time we played in the kickoff game and I don't have any kind of status.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe when he said that gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry people they love?

You may disagree and you may cite your faith as basis for that, but surely you understand why other people find that offensive and, at the very least, "negative"?

What restrictions, if any, would you place on those who seek to be married to one another?

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

What restrictions, if any, would you place on those who seek to be married to one another?

If you can't do me the courtesy of answering my question, which was directed to someone else, then I have no interest in answering yours. We've been through this before. I know your stance. I disagree with it.

PS- Had you asked your question first, I would have gladly answered. I have no need to avoid explicitly stating my opinion on the topic. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Surely the Chick-Fil-A conversation was already had in here?

It's very simple. It has nothing to do with Christianity. The Cathy family has, at least in the past, aggressively funded groups who fight against basic civil liberties for American citizens. So- again, at least in the past- when you spent money at their restaurants, you were in essence helping to fund the fight to deny your fellow citizen these liberties. 

It is not Chick-Fil-A's religion or views that are an issue. It is their actions, and how they have recirculated the money spent at their restaurants.

As for the article, yeah, I don't care for it. It's vague and meandering and just kinda comes across as butt-hurt. I can't tell if the author is more preoccupied with Chick-Fil-A's anti-gayness, the Cow campaign (it *is* creepy as hell), or the corporatization of New York. There are some valid points made, but it feels like the author is using CFA as a scapegoat to avoid talking directly to the consumer about their choices. 

.What? ....they make a profit running an honest business.  You make it sound like money-laundering or something.    :-\    

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If you can't do me the courtesy of answering my question, which was directed to someone else, then I have no interest in answering yours. We've been through this before. I know your stance. I disagree with it.

PS- Had you asked your question first, I would have gladly answered. I have no need to avoid explicitly stating my opinion on the topic. 

Sorry.  I didn't realize that anyone who asked you a question had to answer questions you directed at others first, even if I wasn't making the same argument as the person you originally directed it toward.  So I'll answer.

Yes, I can see why people who hold certain views would find arguments that contradict those views as "negative."

So now, what restrictions, if any, would you place on those who seek to be married to one another?  Granted, you know (or believe you know) my views, but I'm asking about yours.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

.What? ....they make a profit running an honest business.  You make it sound like money-laundering or something.    :-\    

All due respect, this response makes it seem as though you either didn't read or didn't in any way process the words in my post. 

Just now, TitanTiger said:

So now, what restrictions, if any, would you place on those who seek to be married to one another?  

That they be consenting adults.

Hi, I'm here and ready for the culture war. Whose side am I on in this thread?

Just now, AUDub said:

You're persecuting Christians because you don't want your money to go to those who are just trying to protect the gays from themselves. 

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Depends.  Do you give a s*** about the political views of people who you buy sandwiches, electronics, musical albums, or other goods and services from?

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

You're persecuting Christians because you don't want your money to go to those who are just trying to protect the gays from themselves. 

Hmm. Are their chicken biscuits delicious? One of many factors that must be weighed.

Just now, AUDub said:

Hmm. Are their chicken biscuits delicious? One of many factors that must be weighed.

Therein lies the conundrum, my friend. At least for those of us for whom there is a conundrum. 

Just whining from a hopelessly lost liberal.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Therein lies the conundrum, my friend. At least for those of us for whom there is a conundrum. 

True....there are lots of conundrums in life...and pretty much I don't have to accept your views ...nor do I have to explain why. ..and you don't have to accept mine either.   So for me there is no conundrum involved with Chic....as long as their sandwiches are a good value.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True....there are lots of conundrums in life...and pretty much I don't have to accept your views ...nor do I have to explain why. ..and you don't have to accept mine either.   So for me there is no conundrum involved with Chic....as long as their sandwiches are a good value.

Here's the thing, though. The Chick-fil-A people went beyond merely having views, and were in fact very aggressive about trying to force their views on others. Which is why some of us chose to stop spending money there. I don't know why there is such an emotional response to that and I don't know how someone could fail to process any of this.

This writer is off his rocker.  Seriously, WGAF?

If CFA's political views bother you that much, don't patron their business.  Simple, no?  But the irony is, articles like this will do nothing but embolden their legion of customers who support their traditional views.  So if his goal was to write some kinda of jab, it backfired.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Here's the thing, though. The Chick-fil-A people went beyond merely having views, and were in fact very aggressive about trying to force their views on others. Which is why some of us chose to stop spending money there. I don't know why there is such an emotional response to that and I don't know how someone could fail to process any of this.

Spend you money where you want like any of us do......but the writer was going well beyond that....and other than the fact that comments about the deceased founder of Chic have been overblown,  the company is not the guy who founded it anyway. 

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know, man. The fear of God does make chicken tastier.

56 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Is that all?

They shall be unmarried for at least 60?days prior to entering into said marriage. Probably a few more details to meet as well. 

Archived