Chick-fil-A’s Creepy Infiltration of New York City

Auburn85

12 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Sorry Dub they are terrible just to sweet not really southern biscuits. Have to use White Lily flour to make real southern biscuits........Chick-Fil-A says they do use White Lily but its not White Lily you'll just have to trust me. 

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

It's awesome, but on the rare occasions that I go there, I have a hard time not getting the original. 

Since thread is derailed I seldom eat there maybe a couple of times a year. I do get their ice tea almost daily we have one about 3 miles from our condo

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Since thread is derailed I seldom eat there maybe a couple of times a year. I do get their ice tea almost daily we have one about 3 miles from our condo

We eat there fairly frequently. Wife loves the soup and the kids love the chick n minis.

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I love them, but I don't confuse them with "normal" southern buttermilk biscuits. They're their own thing. 

What do y'all think about the spicy chicken? 

True southerners do not eat boiled ribs, or spicy chicken other authentic cajun every now and then. JMO Loof

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

I don't think it was meant as a "jab" - at least in particular.  The corporate religious association is kind of "creepy". 

If such a business was owned by Muslims (for example) who publicly advocated anti-Israeli sentiments (for example), it wouldn't sound so "creepy" to Christian Americans. At least that's the way New Yorkers might think of it.

(God bless 'em)

Fair.  But again, it's a private company.  Don't like it?  Speak with your wallet.  The marketplace will speak to their success/failure.  No one is forcing any one to eat there.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

All this talk has just made me crave a Chick-Fil-A sammich, some waffle fries and a big lemonade.

Grab a side of Chick-fil-A sauce and I'm in.  Since I was healthy for breakfast (Egg White Grill), I figure I can splurge.

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

We eat there fairly frequently. Wife loves the soup and the kids love the chick n minis.

Oh its great place for the kids to eat and their soups are good. The wife stops there for her breakfast on the way to work almost daily.

40 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Fair.  But again, it's a private company.  Don't like it?  Speak with your wallet.  The marketplace will speak to their success/failure.  No one is forcing any one to eat there.

-When the big kerfuffle in 2012 happened, people spoke with their wallets, and other people freaked out and claimed that Cathy's 1A rights were being violated. That "reverse boycott day" or whatever it was was just as obnoxious as what it was a response to. 

-With regards to the OP, as @homersapien pointed out, this is a New York author writing for New Yorkers. You will find similar articles written by other cities' writers for their fellow citizens. It is a pastime in major metro areas to bemoan small, local, independent businesses being replaced by corporate behemoths. (As opposed to rural areas where a Wal-Mart might put Mom and Pop out of business but provide jobs for a couple hundred people who might not have one otherwise.) That's the angle here. Yes, the author does mention "Christian traditionalism", but if you read closely, this is the actual thesis of the whole thing:

Its arrival in the city augurs worse than a load of manure on the F train. According to a report by the Center for an Urban Future, the number of chain restaurants in New York has doubled since 2008, crowding out diners and greasy spoons for whom the rent is too dear. Chick-fil-A, meanwhile, is set to become the third-largest fast-food chain in the nation, behind only McDonald’s and Starbucks. No matter how well such restaurants integrate into the “community,” they still venerate a deadening uniformity. Homogeneous food is comfort food, and chains know that their primary appeal is palliative. With ad after ad, and storefront after storefront, they have the resources to show that they’ve always been here for us, and recent trends indicate that we prefer them over anything new or untested.

I guarantee you that this guy likes to talk about how overrated the Beatles are at parties. 

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

-When the big kerfuffle in 2012 happened, people spoke with their wallets, and other people freaked out and claimed that Cathy's 1A rights were being violated. That "reverse boycott day" or whatever it was was just as obnoxious as what it was a response to. 

-With regards to the OP, as @homersapien pointed out, this is a New York author writing for New Yorkers. You will find similar articles written by other cities' writers for their fellow citizens. It is a pastime in major metro areas to bemoan small, local, independent businesses being replaced by corporate behemoths. (As opposed to rural areas where a Wal-Mart might put Mom and Pop out of business but provide jobs for a couple hundred people who might not have one otherwise.) That's the angle here. Yes, the author does mention "Christian traditionalism", but if you read closely, this is the actual thesis of the whole thing:

I guarantee you that this guy likes to talk about how overrated the Beatles are at parties. 

Wasn't CFA at one point considered a "Mom and Pop" type business.  Sure, you have to go back to the 60s but it started somewhere.

45 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Oh its great place for the kids to eat and their soups are good. The wife stops there for her breakfast on the way to work almost daily.

Golf,  most folks rarely get to eat breakfast there.... to crowded and the drive thru is always backed up to the street.

Just now, RunInRed said:

Wasn't CFA at one point considered a "Mom and Pop" type business.  Sure, you have to go back to the 60s but it started somewhere.

Sure. So were Wal-Mart and McDonald's. I'm not taking a stance against corporations here, and I'm not saying that this author is attached to "Mom and Pop" businesses. (I would venture a guess that he's more attached to diversity and uniqueness; his list of contributions to The New Yorker lead me to believe that he's primarily an art critic.) 

Just pointing out that there isn't anything particularly uncommon about this type of sentiment, and that Chick-Fil-A (and their religion) is only part of what he's railing against. IMO. 

As for where these sentiments come from and why they make sense to me- even if handled a little clumsily- that's a different conversation. Some folks are just wired differently. 

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

He open his first store in 1946 Truett Cathy opens his original diner, the Dwarf Grill, in the Atlanta suburb of Hapeville

Old image of the original Dwarf House

Maybe I missed it, this been posted yet? Always some fun to be had from the Babylon Bee.  ;)

cfa-696x394.jpg

NEW YORK, NY—Horrifying reports out of New York City indicated that oppressive Christians have begun an all-out assault on secular New York citizens, by attacking them with delicious Chick-fil-A chicken sandwiches.

The opening of several Chick-fil-A locations throughout the city confirmed New Yorkers’ worst fears, that Christians had begun a brutal offensive consisting primarily of offering tasty chicken sandwiches to hungry citizens who would like to eat them.

“This is a Christian-fueled hate crime on par with the Inquisition, the Salem Witch Trials, and the Crusades,” one author wrote in The New Yorker. “These Christian crusaders must be stopped, before everyone in New York City gets a quality meal with excellent service at a decent price. Think of the children!”

At publishing time, Christian cultural war strategists had announced plans to open a new front in the culture war by launching a new Hobby Lobby location in Manhattan.

http://babylonbee.com/news/evil-christians-oppress-secular-new-yorkers-with-delicious-chicken-sandwiches/

Been to the original Dwarf house several times, good stuff.

3 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Maybe I missed it, this been posted yet? Always some fun to be had from the Babylon Bee.  ;)

http://babylonbee.com/news/evil-christians-oppress-secular-new-yorkers-with-delicious-chicken-sandwiches/

Been to the original Dwarf house several times, good stuff.

My goodness, that is one of the whiniest things I've ever skimmed over. What is babylonbee.com? Is it like the Onion, substituting Christian persecution complex for humor? 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

My goodness, that is one of the whiniest things I've ever skimmed over. What is babylonbee.com? Is it like the Onion, substituting Christian persecution complex for humor? 

Dang Francis!  :poke:

It's a satire site, if you've never heard of them, well, your loss...

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's a satirical website that pokes fun at the evangelicals.

19 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Huh. Meta. And not the four kind.

I peeped more of the site and there's some funny stuff on there. 

I'll semi-wallow in a shallow pit of humiliation for a short period of time now. Humble apologies. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I love them, but I don't confuse them with "normal" southern buttermilk biscuits. They're their own thing. 

What do y'all think about the spicy chicken? 

I like them. I don't have them very often, but when I do, I enjoy them. I don't eat a lot of spicy food, but their spicy chicken is just right for me.

As far as biscuits, I like them too.  I enjoy their chicken biscuit. However, I eat the biscuit and chicken filet seperately. Weird yes, but how I roll.

1 hour ago, Auburn85 said:

I like them. I don't have them very often, but when I do, I enjoy them. I don't eat a lot of spicy food, but their spicy chicken is just right for me.

As far as biscuits, I like them too.  I enjoy their chicken biscuit. However, I eat the biscuit and chicken filet seperately. Weird yes, but how I roll.

That's actually a great idea. Gonna try it next time.

Following are the quotes I saw in the article you referenced.. I don't see the negativity. I don't think that supporting the Biblical definition of the family unit is condemning everything that is not that. Can you point out what Cathy said that was negative or hate-filled? I am not trying to be a jerk. I really think that people have attributed actions to him and CFA that they did not commit.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, "We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage". I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."[22][23][24]

The following month, on July 2, Biblical Recorder published an interview with Dan Cathy, who was asked about opposition to his company's "support of the traditional family." He replied: "Well, guilty as charged."[25][26] Cathy continued:

"We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that. ... We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized. "We intend to stay the course," he said. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."[25]

6 hours ago, stoic-one said:

I graduated from seminary a few years ago. Was very popular site among those I went to school with.  Lots of evangelicals write those articles. Good Calvinism/Arminianism humor 

Archived