Instant replay coming to AL HS Football

jared52

@WarTiger what’s say you?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/instant-replay-is-coming-to-alabama-high-school-football-games-yes-really/

Instant replay is coming to Alabama high school football games ... yes, really

And lo, the world rejoiced ... we guess

Have you ever watched an instant replay review during a college football game and thought, "I sure wish we had more of these?" If you answered, "No," congratulations! You are smart -- and normal. If you answered, "Yes," well, you are likely the head of the Alabama High School Athletics Association (AHSAA). 

Yes, replay reviews are coming to high school football in the state of Alabama. From AL.com

In today's quarterly meeting of the AHSAA Central Board in Montgomery, the governing body approved the use of instant replay beginning this fall in Alabama high school football.

"The purpose of instant replay is to aid the officials in getting it right," AHSAA Executive Director Steve Savarese said.

Several states, including New Jersey and Minnesota, have used or plan to use replay in championship games, but Alabama is believed to the first state to have instant replay available at all high school games.

Yes, I too am shocked that Texas doesn't already have this.

Anyway, other options the AHSAA may or may not have considered included hitting themselves over the head with a wooden board repeatedly and peeling off toenails with pliers during timeouts. 

OK, so maybe I just made that up, but the truth is it's not much more ridiculous than having replay reviews in high school football games.

I understand why you would want replay available in state championship games, and possibly playoff games, but regular season games? Really?!

I know that high school football is more important in some parts of the country than others, but this is simply overkill. Oh, and it's going to be quite expensive, too.

Are we even sure that replay has improved the product on the college and NFLlevels? Yes, it helps get calls correct, but even then it only accomplishes that task some of the time. 

The AHSAA is calling this an experiment, but for some reason, I doubt that after the experiment's over they'll decide to do away with replay. Instead, they'll look for ways to "improve" the replay process, and those ways will ultimately just mean reviewing more plays.

What a colossal mistake. Officiating at this level is suspect due to the nature of the fact that the guys officiating are not far from being volunteers and kudos to them for doing it.This is high school football. It is ok if it is not perfect. No need to slow games down looking at replays. Replays work at professional on college because almost every game has TV cameras with professional cameraman that offer multiple angles. At most high school games there are one or two cameras filming from press box or elevated end zone.

This is overkill IMO.   I absolutely love the idea of getting the calls right and correcting egregious errors, but replay at the high school level just isn't a practical thing.   A lot of these schools can barely afford the equipment needed to play the game.   In order for this to work, it will require tons of equipment and a MAJOR expense to every school in the state.   There are better things for the schools to spend their money on than this.     I, admittedly, expected this to happen eventually, but expected it to be Texas or maybe California to do this before anybody else.   I would also expect to have been implemented perhaps in the playoffs or even just the state title games but certainly not the entire regular season.    This is going to cost schools a fortune and judging by the article above it doesn't appear the schools are going to have a choice.   Is the AHSAA going to contribute financially to schools in the state to help get this started or are the schools going to be responsible for the entire expense?     Not practical at all at this level.

Archived