2019 3* CB Cordale Flott Flips to LSU

ellitor

15 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Is this kid really that high on the coaches board or are we just trying to get an in-state DB after losing Christian Williams? 

In 2019, we will have 10 DB’s (11 if we get Jaylin Simpson. They include...  Jamel Dean, Javarius Davis, Malcolm Askew, Traivon Leonard, Christian Tutt, Roger McCreary, John Broussard, Jayvaughn Myers, & Noah Igbinoghene (and now Cordale Flott). We have the quantity, but we need better quality.

It’s too early in the recruiting process to be settling for low 3* DB’s. This kid jumped at the opportunity to commit, so I think we could have waited on his commitment later in the process if we couldn’t get a higher rated DB.

Look at his offer list! It says a lot about the kind of player he can be imho.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

41 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Is this kid really that high on the coaches board or are we just trying to get an in-state DB after losing Christian Williams? 

In 2019, we will have 10 DB’s (11 if we get Jaylin Simpson. They include...  Jamel Dean, Javarius Davis, Malcolm Askew, Traivon Leonard, Christian Tutt, Roger McCreary, John Broussard, Jayvaughn Myers, & Noah Igbinoghene (and now Cordale Flott). We have the quantity, but we need better quality.

It’s too early in the recruiting process to be settling for low 3* DB’s. This kid jumped at the opportunity to commit, so I think we could have waited on his commitment later in the process if we couldn’t get a higher rated DB.

Seriously?

57 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

You complaining about stars never fails. 

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Silly question. You don't take kids this early in the recruiting cycle if they aren't that high on the board.

11 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Highly likely some of those guys end up at Safety. And I think you meant CB instead of DB since DBs include safeties.

11 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

It’s too early in the recruiting process to be settling for low 3* DB’s

1. CF is a mid 3* not a low 3*. 2. Yup. Cuz early 3*s are set in stone as 3*s. Just look at some of our guys last year who didn't get ratings bumps as the year progressed...Oh wait! Many of them did.

Trust the coaches evals over football wannabee geeks on a website, especially early in the recruiting cycle.

11 hours ago, toddc said:

Look at his offer list! It says a lot about the kind of player he can be imho.

19d813c6-9553-4f34-921e-23a9493308b6_tex

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Trust the coaches evals over football wannabee geeks on a website, especially early in the recruiting cycle.

You probably know more than me, but to me, since Brown has come on board, the quality of DBs we have been signing has increased. Many have been identified early and most have risen through the rankings their senior years. That shows a good eye/evaluation of talent.

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

You probably know more than me, but to me, since Brown has come on board, the quality of DBs we have been signing has increased. Many have been identified early and most have risen through the rankings their senior years. That shows a good eye/evaluation of talent.

We call this “Goober Vision”. It’s kinda like Superman Xray vision but better because it projects the future....

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

You probably know more than me

Nope! You're our DB guru...No jokes Golf.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nope! You're our DB guru...No jokes Golf.

bird DB guru..........................Dumb Butt guru sounds about right to me.................................

33 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

bird DB guru..........................Dumb Butt guru sounds about right to me.................................

Well you're nicer than Bird. That's for sure.

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

CF is a mid 3* not a low 3*. 2. Yup. Cuz early 3*s are set in stone as 3*s. Just look at some of our guys last year who didn't get ratings bumps as the year progressed...Oh wait! Many of them did.

Last recruiting cycle I was blasted for suggesting that we move on from a kid that was not highly rated or recruited to make room for guys higher on our board that were still available. 

My point is that if we don’t want to pull a kid’s scholarship late in the game, then I think we need to be more selective early in the recruiting process. Guys like Banks from Texas, Kair Elam, Andrew Booth, & Devin Bush are still uncommitted. Is Flott higher on the board than those guys? Or do we think that we can’t make a move with them in the next 9 months? With Jaylin Simpson & Flott committed by next weekend, are we really planning on signing more than 2 CB’s?

58 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Last recruiting cycle I was blasted for suggesting that we move on from a kid that was not highly rated or recruited to make room for guys higher on our board that were still available. 

My point is that if we don’t want to pull a kid’s scholarship late in the game, then I think we need to be more selective early in the recruiting process. Guys like Banks from Texas, Kair Elam, Andrew Booth, & Devin Bush are still uncommitted. Is Flott higher on the board than those guys? Or do we think that we can’t make a move with them in the next 9 months? With Jaylin Simpson & Flott committed by next weekend, are we really planning on signing more than 2 CB’s?

There are some things that you aren't getting.

1) Our coaches have their own evaluation process that they trust over some guy sitting at his computer assigning stars.

2) Our coaches are in a position to know if any given prospect is interested in Auburn or not. Strange as it may seem, some 5* prospect in Florida may not want to waste time even talking to an AU recruiter.

3) Our coaches can make an informed guess about who is or is not a good fit for Auburn. Just because a guy is a 4* on somebody's list doesn't mean we want him here.

4) A kid's offer list is more informative than his star rating. Check Flott's offer list, it compares favorably to anybody's.

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

With Jaylin Simpson & Flott committed by next weekend, are we really planning on signing more than 2 CB’s?

I could easily see 2 safeties and 2 corners.  We have to have at least 2 safeties.

31 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I could easily see 2 safeties and 2 corners.  We have to have at least 2 safeties.

I agree Bird - I think we need 3-4 safeties in this class to even out the numbers. And I mean true safeties, not just guys that we “convert” to safety and stick back there. We have way more corners than safety right now, so that’s why I think we need to be very selective with corners. 

13 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I agree Bird - I think we need 3-4 safeties in this class to even out the numbers. And I mean true safeties, not just guys that we “convert” to safety and stick back there. We have way more corners than safety right now, so that’s why I think we need to be very selective with corners. 

I wouldn't get any more than 2 safeties.  We have 2 true freshman studs that will lock the position down for a few years. We need to be able to build depth behind them.  Sign 2 and redshirt them next year while we have Dinson, Thomas, Smoke, and Sherwood. That way, you have a year in between Smoke/Sherwood and the next 2. 

As far as corner goes, we have numbers, but a few of those, IMO, will never play anywhere but special teams.  The fact that Tutt and Noah came in and have locked down 2nd string over players that have had 2-3 years in the system is very telling.  We need to build quality depth behind them in the same manner. That said, I wouldn't count them all out just yet. Having a dedicated corners coach will pay off hugely. A dedicated corner coach that is a true teacher/technician will revitalize and reinvigorate some of those that have slipped down the depth chart.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

There are some things that you aren't getting.

1) Our coaches have their own evaluation process that they trust over some guy sitting at his computer assigning stars.

2) Our coaches are in a position to know if any given prospect is interested in Auburn or not. Strange as it may seem, some 5* prospect in Florida may not want to waste time even talking to an AU recruiter.

3) Our coaches can make an informed guess about who is or is not a good fit for Auburn. Just because a guy is a 4* on somebody's list doesn't mean we want him here.

4) A kid's offer list is more informative than his star rating. Check Flott's offer list, it compares favorably to anybody's.

Mikey - I hope that Flott is a “sleeper” the recruiting sites underrated. But we are about to land our 2 commits at corner for this class, and I could make an argument that we only needed 1. So going back to our discussion about Kolbi Fuqua...

If you don’t believe that Auburn should pull someone’s commitment, then my counter to that is that we need to be more selective with who we accept commitments from this early in the process. If the coaches feel like Cordale Flott is the best they can do in January, then I’m fine with that. 

But if we have a chance to land Andrew Booth (who has been linked to Sheffield and Simpson) or Kair Elam (whose father is close with Greg Brown) and we pass because we took the moral high ground, then I have a problem with that. If we stop recruiting or pushing for these higher rated guys because we are done at corner, then I have a problem with that. If we can land Flott and one of these other guys then great. If the coaches feel like Flott is better than these higher rated guys then great. That’s what we are paying them millions of dollars to do. My point is that I don’t want to settle or limit our options this early in the process unless we are willing to cut ties later on if it doesn’t work out.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

DING DING DING!!! 

4 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

With Jaylin Simpson & Flott committed by next weekend, are we really planning on signing more than 2 CB’s?

3 actually seems likely.

5 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Mikey - I hope that Flott is a “sleeper” the recruiting sites underrated. But we are about to land our 2 commits at corner for this class, and I could make an argument that we only needed 1. So going back to our discussion about Kolbi Fuqua...

If you don’t believe that Auburn should pull someone’s commitment, then my counter to that is that we need to be more selective with who we accept commitments from this early in the process. If the coaches feel like Cordale Flott is the best they can do in January, then I’m fine with that. 

But if we have a chance to land Andrew Booth (who has been linked to Sheffield and Simpson) or Kair Elam (whose father is close with Greg Brown) and we pass because we took the moral high ground, then I have a problem with that. If we stop recruiting or pushing for these higher rated guys because we are done at corner, then I have a problem with that. If we can land Flott and one of these other guys then great. If the coaches feel like Flott is better than these higher rated guys then great. That’s what we are paying them millions of dollars to do. My point is that I don’t want to settle or limit our options this early in the process unless we are willing to cut ties later on if it doesn’t work out.

We will not cut ties, so forget that. Don't you think the coaches know they are making a 'commitment' when they accept a kid's word? Of course they do. Therefore, it follows that they want Flott regardless of who or how many others may become available. I don't think 3 corners would be too many in this class. The numbers on scholarship are there but to date at least, some of those have not panned out.

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We will not cut ties, so forget that. Don't you think the coaches know they are making a 'commitment' when they accept a kid's word? Of course they do. Therefore, it follows that they want Flott regardless of who or how many others may become available. I don't think 3 corners would be too many in this class. The numbers on scholarship are there but to date at least, some of those have not panned out.

It seems our coaches have proven they will tell a kid who wants to verbal to hold out a little longer, being honest with the kids about the situation with players higher on the board! Several times that has happened in the past two years. The fact the coach took his verbal meant the coach wanted the kid, so no need arises later where you pull an offer after a kid commits!

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-cordale-flott-relationship-coaches-marcus-woodson

Auburn CB commit Cordale Flott strengthens bond with Tigers coaches

Auburn commit Cordale Flott visited campus last weekend, and the trip only strengthened his commitment.
Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country

Welome to SEC Country’s daily Auburn Tigers football recruiting notebook with Auburn recruiting beat writer Benjamin Wolk. It’s Wednesday, and Auburn commit Cordale Flott updates his growing relationship with Tigers coaches.

Auburn commit Cordale Flott strengthens coaching bond

Auburn cornerback pledge Cordale Flott has visited the Tigers twice since committing on April 17.  Each trip has made the Saraland (Ala.) cornerback feel stronger about his commitment than previous one. His most recent visit was last weekend — a weekend which also included the seventh commitment to the Tigers Class of 2019 and a 5-star visitor at Flott’s position.

His relationship with the Auburn staff has become more profound since his April 17 announcement, and he doubled down on his decision after his most recent visit.

“I feel like it was a great decision for me. I prayed about it and let the process handle itself. I got with my coaches and they make it feel like family to me,” Flott said. “They tell me to prepare and basically focus more on high school than the recruiting process. Be the best I can be for my high school.”

Other schools continue to chase Flott — such as Louisville, Texas A&M and Florida. If Flott were to visit anywhere else, he’d consider the Gators, but Flott is locked in to his Auburn pick.

Cordale Flott’s strongest Auburn bond with Marcus Woodson

A big reason for Flott’s steadfast commitment to Auburn? New defensive backs coach Marcus Woodson.

Flott is a true cover corner. Woodson also has been an ace recruiter early on in the 2019 cycle. Their bond has improved with every visit.

“He cares more, other than football, just about me personally as a man and student-athlete for Auburn coming here to get my degree. It’s not just to play football,” Flott said. “The time I spent with coaches, coach Woodson and coach [Kevin Steele], is the highlight.”

Flott spent some time with 5-star cornerback Andrew Booth during the visit. With Flott and 4-star athlete Jaylin Simpson already committed, Auburn is in search of at least one more elite cornerback in the 2019 class. There’s no better place to start than Booth.

Flott said it would “be great to have him” and that Booth told him he was “thinking highly” of Auburn.

Nothing extremely exciting here but I'm glad he is still happy with his commitment! 

If you got the right group, you'd absolutely take four CBs plus one or two true Safeties. For example, given the length/size of these guys, we'd GLADLY take four of the following:

Flott (6'1", 165 lb.)
Simpson (5'11", 185 lb.)
Booth (6'1", 188 lb.)
Stevenson (6'1", 190 lb.)
Puckett (6'1", 190 lb.)
Elam (6'1", 182 lb.)

Even if you took four of those guys, you'd still want to pair them with Sheffield (6'1", 178 lb.) and possibly another true Safety prospect. But the guys we're recruiting, including Flott, have the length and athleticism to shift to Nickel or back to Safety. Whatever his rating says, our coaches clearly view him in the same category as these other guys.

• 1 month later...

Archived