Starbucks and Racial Profiling

DKW 86

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/16/starbucks-ceo-johnson-stops-short-of-calling-arrests-racial-profiling.html?recirc=taboolainternal

Opinions on Starbucks actions?

I know they want to write this off as local mgt issues. 

There has to be some kind of corporate wink wink nod nod going on here too.

Closing 8000 Corporate Starbucks for Racial Training 4-29 is a start.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was taught never walk in a store without having the money to make a purchase....

Not enough details to this story unless I am missing something..

I personally would never go to a restaurant, coffee shop, etc.....and sit without making a purchase.....common sense.

Would the law have been called had they made a purchase?

Were they loud disorderly?

Not sure we have all the details.

All I see is two guys taking up 2 tables(4 spaces) that haven't made a purchase.

Was this during lunch hour?

It's a great  response.  If one Starbucks treats African Americans like this, then it must be assumed that every Starbucks location treats African Americans the same way. 

1 hour ago, Auburn85 said:

It's a great  response.  If one Starbucks treats African Americans like this, then it must be assumed that every Starbucks location treats African Americans the same way. 

And if one cop uses excessive force, then it must be assumed that every cop does the same.

Based on the video I see 2 guys that refused to make a purchase.........I assume they were asked to make a purchase or leave..........after refusing to leave police were called.......after refusing to leave by law enforcement they were arrested.......the fact they were black doesnt appear to have anything to do with their arrest............again video doesnt show much.

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/16/starbucks-ceo-johnson-stops-short-of-calling-arrests-racial-profiling.html?recirc=taboolainternal

Opinions on Starbucks actions?

I know they want to write this off as local mgt issues. 

There has to be some kind of corporate wink wink nod nod going on here too.

Closing 8000 Corporate Starbucks for Racial Training 4-29 is a start.

Has to be local issue. I have been in the Starbucks at Tigertown just use the restroom, without incidence.......would have stopped at Chic-fil-a across the way but their parking lot was full.

The two black males were simply waiting on the real estate guy to arrive before ordering, or so I gathered.

7 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

The two black males were simply waiting on the real estate guy to arrive before ordering, or so I gathered.

Lots of narratives will be pushed as always.  But what’s the larger point? Is racism celebrated/tolerated in some way? Isn’t the backlash precisely becuase anything minutely symbolizing it is decried by society at large?

Obviously I don't have all the facts but this almost seems surreal. Non violent, practically non confrontational , and seems like a something a competitor would setup. Has the person who called the police been interviewed and were the 2 guys released or charged with an actual crime?

9 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

In the 911 call made by employee states there are 2 GENTLEMAN that refuse to make a purchase or leave....

Its been years since I have visited New Orleans..........try using a restroom in French Quarter / Bourbon Street without making purchase......most cases wont get past greeter.

12 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Based on the video I see 2 guys that refused to make a purchase.........I assume they were asked to make a purchase or leave..........after refusing to leave police were called.......after refusing to leave by law enforcement they were arrested.......the fact they were black doesnt appear to have anything to do with their arrest............again video doesnt show much.

Why would you assume that? They weren't. This has been reported by numerous witnesses.

lol, good to see our country is in such amazing shape that dumb crap like this is at the top of the discussion board.

Bravo, America!

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Why would you assume that? They weren't. This has been reported by numerous witnesses.

According to the 911 made by employee states 2 gentleman refused to make a purchase refused to leave........based on video not much to go by is all.

Did they refuse to make a purchase?

I really dont know its never happened to me personally...........I have been on several job interviews in the past, meeting in restaurants.......I was always first and as soon as I was seated I always order beverage........then immediately eat all melba toast in basket(nerves)......next I immediately try to hide all empty butter and melba wrappers...........true story.

Just basically trying to be open minded about what I watched on video...........I personally would never take a seat without a purchase of some sort........

Does that mean this Starbucks incident was racially motivated.........no.................does it proove it wasnt........no.......

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

They should be grateful they weren't shot. 

Yes because police are shooting black people left and right every single day aren't they? It's like the cops wake up every morning and premeditate shooting a black person if the opportunity arises. 

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

I really dont know its never happened to me personally...........I have been on several job interviews in the past, meeting in restaurants.......I was always first and as soon as I was seated I always order beverage........then immediately eat all melba toast in basket(nerves)......next I immediately try to hide all empty butter and melba wrappers...........true story.

Just basically trying to be open minded about what I watched on video...........I personally would never take a seat without a purchase of some sort........

Does that mean this Starbucks incident was racially motivated.........no.................does it proove it wasnt........no.......

I am have hard time seeing a 911 call for this type of situation. Is 911 not for emergency only any longer? I do not see it as racial but more "choose your battles" by someone.

30 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Yes because police are shooting black people left and right every single day aren't they? It's like the cops wake up every morning and premeditate shooting a black person if the opportunity arises. 

I don't think Brother Homer was serious Nola.

44 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Not exactly.  But it certainly happens enough to make any incident of racial "profiling" notable.

I suspect that's the primary cause for "backlash" (since you asked):

13 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Lots of narratives will be pushed as always.  But what’s the larger point? Is racism celebrated/tolerated in some way? Isn’t the backlash precisely becuase anything minutely symbolizing it is decried by society at large?

20 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I am have hard time seeing a 911 call for this type of situation. Is 911 not for emergency only any longer? I do not see it as racial but more "choose your battles" by someone.

Exactly.

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not exactly.  But it certainly happens enough to make any incident of racial "profiling" notable.

I suspect that's the primary cause for "backlash" (since you asked):

It doesn't happen enough that black people should be "grateful" every time they encounter a Cop without being shot  to warrant the response you gave. Bad form Homer, and bad form on my part before edit. 

Do those thoughts run through your head whenever a cop encounters a black person? 

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I suspect that's the primary cause for "backlash"

the primary cause for the backlash - any form of racism is fundamentally against modern tenants of our Nation's values. 

Archived