Starting pitching rotation vs Alabama

Friday: Casey Mize

Saturday: Tanner Burns

Sunday: TBA

What I’ve seen and heard is that Mitchell, Coker, or Greenhill could make that Sunday start, depending on who is fresh and available. I think this also sets us up to leave Mize and Burns in their same start days for the rest of the season and allow us to mix and match who we start on the Sunday and Thursday games. 

I feel bad for Davis Daniel.....hope he can work on whatever it is that's holding him back.  Meanwhile this is a great opportunity for some other young men.

I hope Davis can find a role. He’s too talented to not be able to help this team. Starting games just his working for him right now. Maybe going to the bullpen will allow him to refocus and give us some strength to the backend of our pitching staff, perhaps like Cole Lipscomb last year. 

Interesting series coming up with Bama. They are a really streaky hitting team. Put up 6 and 6 runs on 10 and 11 hits in their first two games against aTm. They've scored a total of 5 runs in their last three games since that Saturday aTm game. Lost 3-2 in extra innings to aTm Sunday and had 6 hits. Got shutout at home against Samford 6-0 and only had 2 hits. Beat Alcorn St 3-0 yesterday but only had 3 hits. They can experience similar hitting woes like we have, but they haven't experienced a long, sustained period of struggles. Since SEC play started, they're hitting .218 as a team.

Their pitching staff has been solid all year. They haven't walked a lot of batters lately. They get their fair share of strikeouts. And they're limiting damage when their relievers come in. Bama's starters haven't lit the world on fire, but their bullpen has been good at coming in and finishing games off or holding offenses at bay and giving themselves a chance to win. I believe before last weekend Bama's pitching staff had the lowest ERA in SEC games this season. That changed with aTm series since they gave up a bu ch of runs to the Aggies, but on the whole, Bama's pitching staff has held together. 

On 4/18/2018 at 8:17 PM, boomstick said:

I hope Davis can find a role. He’s too talented to not be able to help this team. Starting games just his working for him right now. Maybe going to the bullpen will allow him to refocus and give us some strength to the backend of our pitching staff, perhaps like Cole Lipscomb last year. 

He seems to have problems with men on base.  If he works from the pen he needs to come in with bases empty.....JMO

I hope our bats pick up where they left off with the last MSU game and UAB. We hit like we did those games we have a solid chance to take the series. If Mize can get 3 or 4 runs, we win without a doubt. Saturday's game is one we should win as well if the bats stay hot. A sweep would be awesome and something that will carry us in high gear the rest of the season. We play some good ball the rest of the way we will have a good shot at a regional.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

He seems to have problems with men on base.  If he works from the pen he needs to come in with bases empty.....JMO

He starts to panic. I have watched his face...it starts to turn red and you can see him becoming very stressed. Then it all falls apart on him in a hurry. I hope a little more time to mature will help him. Casey Mize and Keegan Thompson are both very chill guys and it helps them to maintain their control. DD is not like that but maybe he can learn to handle the stress better. He has great talent and I still think he can work on it and have a good career.

Wonder if is not necessarily the men on base but the fact that he was pitching when they got on base... and that is what stresses him.

coming out of the pen, it will be other people’s “fault” and he can just pitch ... which he does well.

Archived