Starting running back today per Horton

gr82be

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Joiner needs to EARN his shot. You think he is just going to get on campus and become the boss man? And based on his highlight tape, he better get a lot more physical.

And not just that, he hasn't even taken ONE snap yet, and won't until fall rolls around. He will get his shot at RB, but if he doesn't show something beyond what we already have at RB, then he is going to get moved, if they feel he can contribute.

And it all depends on how well he learns the plays, and how hard he practices. These coaches look at toughness, a lot, and also, if they can contribute, and not make mistakes. 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Only wanting the best for Auburn....and don't think I have to have to get your approval for my opinions.     But, still thinking we have some better RB candidates for the starting role...JMO

As long as someone doesn't tell me that Miller should be our starter, then I am fine letting Gus/Horton/ Lindsey find the right running back that can do those 4 things that Horton wants from his RB.

Miller is NOT the answer. Why? he got hurt in his first spring game, and he got hurt in this years spring game, and when he got in during the regular season, he looked tentative, ran sideways, instead of North/South, and was not the spark for our RB needs.

K Martin can run, and they think now he wants and shows he can block better, but like Horton said, he still will need help when teams put in the jumbo DEs to crash the backfield. But, he will have to show it on the field that he can move the ball and protect JS when needed.

I'm tentatively willing to see if KM can do it, but something in my gut tells me, these coaches will have to use a lot of RBs to find who can be the all-purpose back. Gus always finds him...but when?

30 minutes ago, Tiger said:

The potential for Gus to telegraph what the called play is based on what RB is in the game is way too high for my comfort right now.

Also surprised at how many people are down on Kam Martin. I think he can be really good if he improves his pass protection.

Not down on him.....just don't see him as our primary RB.......We have four or five good RBs and at least 3 of them will not be the primary RB....there is nothing disrespectful about that. 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Miller - pass blocker

Of everything, this makes me feel the best, because last year he was anything but, which means they are improving.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

We've had a few true freshmen come in and carry the load.....happens all the time in college football. ..

Sure it has happened.  Sure FR can come in and carry the load.  I was saying, there is no reason a FR should come here in May and beat out 4 other RBs that have year(s) on him in the O and another FR RB who at least went through Spring.  Not saying anything about his talents but there is a LOT of talent at RB on campus now.  If we can't find a starter from the 5 on campus then we are in trouble.  I don't know if Joiner will get carries this year or not.  My gut says that if he is not RS then we will have at least 1 RB transferring come next year.  7 RB on scholarship is a crowded stable.

Main reason he didn’t play more last year: One of the key improvements for Martin this spring has been his pass blocking. That more than anything probably kept him from making more of a contribution last season even though he averaged 6.1 yards per carry.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/kam-no-1-coming-out-of-spring

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not down on him.....just don't see him as our primary RB.......We have four or five good RBs and at least 3 of them will not be the primary RB....there is nothing disrespectful about that. 

This is not originally what you said. Saying you don't see him as a primary running back versus our running game won't get any respect is two vastly different things.

Sounds like we are finally getting what many begged for last year. RB by committee so we will have fresh legs out there all the time and not beat one RB to death. If we really do that then multiple fans will complain anyway.  I have confidence in the RB's we have and the ones coming in my worries are arround the big boys who will need to open the holes for them and who will protect the QB.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If it makes you feel any better, we telegraph the plays even when we have the same all-purpose back in on every snap of the game.

Wait. I don't think that made you feel better. Bruh that's my bad.

Out of reactions but consider this the laughy face lol. You're so right though :slapfh:

16 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

7 RB on scholarship is a crowded stable.

Agreed. Which is why 2 of those guys won't be playing much RB.

The other 6 (hey, I'm including Tolbert at this point, and he'll graduate this year anyway) make for a great group with an array of physical assets. And attrition is almost likely before midseason.

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think the most "surprising" thing about it is Kam is the only one we have seen. What have you seen from anyone else that says they should be RB1? Not just you, it's a broad question for anyone who says Kam Martin isn't the guy.

Because we've seen next to literally zero out of the of other RBs on the roster.

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

with his frame i do wonder if he can make it a full season. 

To be fair under Gus it doesn't matter what the physical stature our RBs are they all end up hurt somehow dating back to 2015

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The other 6 (hey, I'm including Tolbert at this point, and he'll graduate this year anyway) make for a great group with an array of physical assets. And attrition is almost likely before midseason.

I have this feeling the one of the 6 that never gets mentioned in these threads is going to come in with a chip on his shoulder about it and demand consideration by his attitude and effort in practice.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I have this feeling the one of the 6 that never gets mentioned in these threads is going to come in with a chip on his shoulder about it and demand consideration by his attitude and effort in practice.

We have serious issues if it takes that to get these players to have a chip on their shoulder. All of them should have that coming them as they all seem to have big shoes to fill with KJ and KP gone.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Shivers? I can't wait for him to shock some people the same way KMart will this season. But I personally see him in mostly flanker and special teams roles this season, mainly because of the other pieces in (and not in) place. Barrett might be the man at flanker, but we have got to get Shivers's (and Schwartz's- omg omg omg omg we got both of them) on the field. Shivers will be in the backfield eventually. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

We have serious issues if it takes that to get these players to have a chip on their shoulder. All of them should have that coming them as they all seem to have big shoes to fill with KJ and KP gone.

I'm not saying that's the only thing that is causing him to have a chip on his shoulder, but he does seem to be overlooked, and he also seems to work harder than most as a standard.  I would also think Kam would have a chip with everyone calling him too small and Miller would because of so many people writing him off.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Shivers? I can't wait for him to shock some people the same way KMart will this season. But I personally see him in mostly flanker and special teams roles this season, mainly because of the other pieces in (and not in) place. Barrett might be the man at flanker, but we have got to get Shivers's (and Schwartz's- omg omg omg omg we got both of them) on the field. Shivers will be in the backfield eventually. 

Yea... I don't know that he will make it on the field this year, outside of special teams, but just watching his film, reading about his work ethic, and listening to his mom, you know he's going to make them think about it.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... I don't know that he will make it on the field this year, outside of special teams, but just watching his film, reading about his work ethic, and listening to his mom, you know he's going to make them think about it.

Some guys are just football players. Packaging varies. 

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

7 RB on scholarship is a crowded stable.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

The RB situation is like of Gus' offensive playbook.

1 will play a lot.

1 will come out from time to time.

5 are just window dressing.  

Gus is going to plow the starting RB into the ground.  I hope whomever that ends up being the starting RB can take that pounding.

wde

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Sounds like we are finally getting what many begged for last year. RB by committee so we will have fresh legs out there all the time and not beat one RB to death. If we really do that then multiple fans will complain anyway.  I have confidence in the RB's we have and the ones coming in my worries are arround the big boys who will need to open the holes for them and who will protect the QB.

If the RB committee is due to several doing a fairly equal job then I think everyone is fine with it. If it's due to the fact that it's a situational need then we're still telegraphing our plays and that doesn't work well against the big boys of the SEC. I do want to spread the playing time around to a degree. Just want to see a substitution to rest a guy instead of the it being because the guy can't do what the play calls for him to do. 

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I will go on record that I will be one of those fans who complains.

.....but only if the RB's suck. 

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I will go on record that I will be one of those fans who complains.

.....but only if the RB's suck. 

It would help me to see some programs that are successful with RB by committee.  Maybe it's an old view, but seems that usually coaches had the view that if you had a really good RB,  you gave him the ball a lot with the expectation that he would break one every now and then.   We saw some of that last year too...KJ with a bunch of 3 or 4 yard carries and then a 20 yard or more break out on what was apparently the same play.   

Interesting that Bo had about the same number of carries his last year as KJ....and Fullwood was his back-up with 90 carries.   The 1987 team had no dominant ball carrier and the leading rusher had less than 500 yards....but turned out 9-1 so it can happen though in half the games the opponents had 10 or fewer points. ..

Archived