Starting running back today per Horton

gr82be

47 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Kinda of like the team, that is sitting on the outside going to the SEC championship, but beats 4 SEC teams in a row (2 on the road) and dominates two undefeated #1 teams in Alabama and Georgia to secure a spot in the SEC Championship...:rolleyes:

Where are you going with that comment? Because whenever I bring a counterpoint you guys (the same few guys) want to disregard it. One moment you same guys want to brag about that (even when some of us give him credit for that) but then when we criticize him about the LSU game, UCF game, SEC championship game, you same folks want to disregard it. 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Where are you going with that comment? Because whenever I bring a counterpoint you guys (the same few guys) want to disregard it. One moment you same guys want to brag about that (even when some of us give him credit for that) but then when we criticize him about the LSU game, UCF game, SEC championship game, you same folks want to disregard it. 

I think maybe the point is that everyone loses ballgames ....and sometimes the coaches make some bad decisions that cost them games...and yet a large group of fans seem to find all kinds of reasons to give Butch and Bruce a pass when their teams get blown out by mediocre opponents.....I mean if they were losing to top 5 teams or even top 10 teams,  I can see that you can't expect them to win 'em all....but football fans seem to have a different standard of "success:" :dunno:  Nobody is disregarding those two games but many of us are reluctant to use them to paint the entire season. JMO....

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think maybe the point is that everyone loses ballgames ....and sometimes the coaches make some bad decisions that cost them games...and yet a large group of fans seem to find all kinds of reasons to give Butch and Bruce a pass when their teams get blown out by mediocre opponents.....I mean if they were losing to top 5 teams or even top 10 teams,  I can see that you can't expect them to win 'em all....but football fans seem to have a different standard of "success:" :dunno:  Nobody is disregarding those two games but many of us are reluctant to use them to paint the entire season. JMO....

Butch and Bruce? Iono what you are talking about. You will have to get some examples. I will say you are exaggerating quite a bit. We have a very small minority of fans who look at the worst of Gus and you have very small group of fans who are always going to find the perfection in Gus. The bell curve is the group who look at the whole spectrum. It was awesome victories to have UGA and Bama beat at our home. But the story doesn’t end right there. There are still many ways we can get better to reach our goal. A goal neccessary doesn’t have to always be a NC, even though that is what everyone wants, it’s not realistic. I think what a good majority of what people want is consistency and that comes in many different avenues. 

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

No no, no. I certainly don't disregard the (insert poop emoticon here) this coach has laid too.

Sometimes I hate forums bc when you write something to a specific comment written, it gets lost in all the other comment streams we write about. 

I was just kidding you on the last comment. Plenty of what you say I agree with, but I try, and i think you and some others too, work to evaluate the complete program. The good is not left out, bc there are some on here who simply don't like the coach, don't like his hefty salary now, and only want to indicate the negative in regards to CGM.

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

No no, no. I certainly don't disregard the (insert poop emoticon here) this coach has laid too.

Sometimes I hate forums bc when you write something to a specific comment written, it gets lost in all the other comment streams we write about. 

I was just kidding you on the last comment. Plenty of what you say I agree with, but I try, and i think you and some others too, work to evaluate the complete program. The good is not left out, bc there are some on here who simply don't like the coach, don't like his hefty salary now, and only want to indicate the negative in regards to CGM.

Fair enough . I apologize 

On 4/23/2018 at 8:42 PM, McLoofus said:

Since Horton agrees with so many of us posters that they should be rotating backs more and having more late-season options....do certain other posters think that he's "Gus Bashing"?

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Since Horton agrees with so many of us posters that they should be rotating backs more and having more late-season options....do certain other posters think that he's "Gus Bashing"?

I think several will read it that way whether it was intended that way or not.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

No 

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

nope, just taking responsibility.....and recognizing what he could have done differently I guess....but going into this season he has much better options...or maybe not such a clear distinction between #1 and those who follow in the depth chart. . 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

nope, just taking responsibility.....and recognizing what he could have done differently I guess....but going into this season he has much better options...or maybe not such a clear distinction between #1 and those who follow in the depth chart. . 

Obviously, my post was meant to be tongue in cheek, but it IS truly nice to hear at least one coach (the one presumably in charge of Running Back Rotation) make that observation.

13 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Obviously, my post was meant to be tongue in cheek, but it IS truly nice to hear at least one coach (the one presumably in charge of Running Back Rotation) make that observation.

Agree...my view ...always....is that the coaches are doing what they think gives them the best chance to win the ballgame.  I accept they make bad decisions but they usually have more information that helps them form their decision than I do .....so while I might not agree with them ....:dunno:  

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm glad he stuck up for himself just a little bit, too. #itsalwayscrunchtime

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Can you elaborate on how we have better options this year? We literally have the same options we had last year minus KJ but add in some freshman who's top experience is high school football. And apparently those options who were available to us last year were not good enough to see the field when the game was still in the balance, according to the staff, so I have a hard time thinking they're feeling like there are better options to put out there than we had last season.

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Can you elaborate on how we have better options this year? We literally have the same options we had last year minus KJ but add in some freshman who's top experience is high school football. And apparently those options who were available to us last year were not good enough to see the field when the game was still in the balance, according to the staff, so I have a hard time thinking they're feeling like there are better options to put out there than we had last season.

Gonna be really interesting if Kam Martin plays in meaningful spots and plays well this season. I think we can guess who will be very proud of him for suddenly becoming a good running back. 

25 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Well... if you listen to interviews with Chip, both Kam and Malik have learned to block. There's a big upside.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Well... if you listen to interviews with Chip, both Kam and Malik have learned to block. There's a big upside.

That is great news. If Kam can be a serviceable blocker it will go a long way not only for him but our team.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

No, but then Horton's stated opinion is very different from those here who constantly Gus Bash with their endless vitriol.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, but then Horton's stated opinion is very different from those here who constantly Gus Bash with their endless vitriol.

Is it, though? Seems like he's right in line with some of the "bashers" thoughts in regards to the RB rotation.

Just now, Tiger said:

Is it, though? Seems like he's right in line with some of the "bashers" thoughts in regards to the RB rotation.

His statement is very different. I, too, wish we had known that Pettway wasn't going to do what was necessary to play and that KJ was going to get injured. I wish Gus had known those things too, then some 3rd and 4th stringers would have played earlier in the season. Nobody was clairvoyant, the deep subs didn't play more, and that's that. This coming season we don't have two proven All-SEC types returning so it's obvious more RB will get a chance. Constant, repeated whining about the past isn't going to change the past.

Just now, Mikey said:

His statement is very different. I, too, wish we had known that Pettway wasn't going to do what was necessary to play and that KJ was going to get injured. I wish Gus had known those things too, then some 3rd and 4th stringers would have played earlier in the season. Nobody was clairvoyant, the deep subs didn't play more, and that's that. This coming season we don't have two proven All-SEC types returning so it's obvious more RB will get a chance. Constant, repeated whining about the past isn't going to change the past.

No, it's not. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Nobody is trying to change the past. We are just discussing it lol.

How is it different, though?

Gus "bashers": 1/10th of complaints are "we need to rotate the RBs because we don't have anyone fresh in crunch time!"

Horton: "we need to rotate backs because we need our best RB to be fresh in crunch time"

This running a RB into the ground isn't limited to just last year, though. He gave Pettway some insane number of carries during our Sean White/Kam Pettway run even in games where the game was no longer in doubt.

Archived