Starting running back today per Horton

gr82be

Big thing I took away from here is Horton says it all starts with him. Which it does. His position. I'd be interested to see how much decision making/input goes into he plays, in what situations, and how many carries they get.

Wish we could go back and pull a Borges, Irons, Cox, pass protection thread lol. Would be interesting to see the similarities.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just noting that's he made most of his yards against second level teams and tired defenses late in games....

He did it against SEC teams as well. Problem is after he would get his one or two 6+ ypc, he would never see the field again.  Yes, he got most if his yards against smaller teams, but thas because his CPG was higher.  His YPC was always high.

SEC

51      298yds    5.8 ypc

Sunbelt

40     275yds     6.9ypc

Non-major

21      176yds      8.4 ypc

American

6        24 yds       4 ypc

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

He did it against SEC teams as well. Problem is after he would get his one or two 6+ ypc, he would never see the field again.  Yes, he got most if his yards against smaller teams, but thas because his CPG was higher.  His YPC was always high.

His YPC was always high because he possesses legitimate big-play ability, and demonstrated it consistently throughout the season. Never mind about carries. No disagreement on that point. 

My comments are based on carries like the one at 4:43, and 6:25

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

SEC

51      298yds    5.8 ypc

Sunbelt

40     275yds     6.9ypc

Non-major

21      176yds      8.4 ypc

American

6        24 yds       4 ypc

Got biggest part of his SEC yards against Missouri, Ole Miss and TAMU in what were pretty much blow outs..

I'm not holding it against him that he did not get yards in some of the other games....if he does not carry the ball he's not gonna get yards.....that's a fact....just saying that for whatever reason, he's not seen the better defenses in the SEC yet....other than spot carries against bama and UGA where he averaged 3 or 4 YPC.    He's gonna get his chances if he's the best back (or close to it) come August. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

BTW, I agree he needs 5-10 lbs, but all indications are that he has. It's also telling that most of the "arm" tackles on him seem to be diving from behind 6+ yards past the LOS.  Otherwise, I don't see many arm tackles.

Was this a part of your original post? I must have skimmed over it. That's good to hear on the weight. 

35 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Was this a part of your original post? I must have skimmed over it. That's good to hear on the weight. 

In Chip's interview he said he's put on weight, but he clarified that with "since coming on campus", so no telling how much of that was between last year and this year.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

In Chip's interview he said he's put on weight, but he clarified that with "since coming on campus", so no telling how much of that was between last year and this year.

Roster still has him at 182....which could mean he is somewhere between 175 and 190......who knows.?   But for RBs it's a matter of where it is and how he uses it. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Roster still has him at 182....which could mean he is somewhere between 175 and 190......who knows.?   But for RBs it's a matter of where it is and how he uses it. 

My take is, if a coach is bragging on it, that it's good weight and is being used to his advantage. Otherwise, I would expect the coach not to mention it at all.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My take is, if a coach is bragging on it, that it's good weight and is being used to his advantage. Otherwise, I would expect the coach not to mention it at all.

People been questioning his weight for a couple years....guess the coach would like to make it sound like he's making progress....if he's trying to gain weight and not able to do it, I want a copy of the diet plan he is on......:)

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

People been questioning his weight for a couple years....guess the coach would like to make it sound like he's making progress....if he's trying to gain weight and not able to do it, I want a copy of the diet plan he is on......:)

He didn't respond to a question about it or anything, he brought it up on his own as part of an overall response about our backs.

Regarding Kam's patience, it took Kerryon's 3rd year before becoming Leveon Bell-level patient. The game slowed down for him and it showed. Kam hasn't had the opportunity for the game to truly slow down for him yet but hopefully he makes big strides this season as he possibly gets more opportunity.

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Regarding Kam's patience, it took Kerryon's 3rd year before becoming Leveon Bell-level patient. The game slowed down for him and it showed. Kam hasn't had the opportunity for the game to truly slow down for him yet but hopefully he makes big strides this season as he possibly gets more opportunity.

Kerryon was also quoted as saying that he intentionally studied Bell and worked in the off-season to emulate his style. There's a lot of "want it" involved in Kerryon taking it to the next level. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Kerryon was also quoted as saying that he intentionally studied Bell and worked in the off-season to emulate his style. There's a lot of "want it" involved in Kerryon taking it to the next level. 

Sure and that just comes with getting older and being more mature. The best thing for Kam was being able to see Kerryon go to work outside of games.

Except KJ's skill set translates to a Bell type of runner, Kam's doesn't.  It seems like a lot of people are trying to get Kam to change his running style into something he's not.  He is more of a Dexter McCluster/LaMichael James type of back. Guice and Michelle were great backs, but neither were patient runners

49 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Except KJ's skill set translates to a Bell type of runner, Kam's doesn't.  It seems like a lot of people are trying to get Kam to change his running style into something he's not.  He is more of a Dexter McCluster/LaMichael James type of back. Guice and Michelle were great backs, but neither were patient runners

That's a fair point. 

Saying I'd like to see him develop more patience doesn't mean I'd like to see him change his running style. I just think he would benefit from it. It's like saying I'd like to see Aroldis Chapman develop a change-up. I don't want him to turn into Greg Maddux up there. Stick to your strengths, keep throwing 104. But the more he develops his off-speed pitches, the more effective he becomes.

Same for Kam. I don't think developing more patience has to mean changing his running style. He doesn't need to be KJ. He needs to be Kam, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't benefit from some patience.

More than anything, he just needs more reps. It's hard to get a feel for how certain situations are going to develop when you are only touching the ball once or twice a quarter. The more he sees it, the more consistent he will become.

Edit: To that point, I think these type of discussions are often interpreted at the extremes. "He needs to gain some weight" turns into "he needs to add 20 pounds", etc. It's not always a call for radical change. Most sophomore backs could benefit from more patience.

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Same for Kam. I don't think developing more patience has to mean changing his running style. He doesn't need to be KJ. He needs to be Kam, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't benefit from some patience.

More than anything, he just needs more reps. It's hard to get a feel for how certain situations are going to develop when you are only touching the ball once or twice a quarter. The more he sees it, the more consistent he will become.

Word.

Some of those arm tackles/dives you and @bigbird discussed looked to me like an excited kid who went into the hole expecting to get hit and leaned a little too far forward. That's the kind of stuff that is easily fixed with a few more reps. 

But yeah, he can improve. Just grating when some folks- not you- just straight up say we're screwed (or that he can't break a tackle) just from looking at his measurements coming out of high school.

49 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Some of those arm tackles/dives you and @bigbird discussed looked to me like an excited kid who went into the hole expecting to get hit and leaned a little too far forward. That's the kind of stuff that is easily fixed with a few more reps. 

Agreed.

@cole256 made this distinction during a conversation we were having about Kerryon's physical development. Cole put it to me this way: these are 18-20 year old kids whose bodies are already in rapid stages of development. In his mind, saying Kerryon needed to put on some good weight was almost not worth mentioning. He never saw it as a concern, because a 19 year old should naturally come back bigger and stronger after the off-season workout program. Almost like saying, "he needs to be a year older." Well, as long as he keeps waking up every day, that should happen. 

From that standpoint, I'll concede that it's fair to say "I'm not concerned with Kam's weight, or his strength, or his patience as a running back," not because he doesn't need improvement in those areas, but because his need for improvement is within the margin we should expect to develop naturally between seasons. It's probably true that most of what we've been talking about should develop naturally out of another year of physical development, training, and repetition. 

But, it has to be live, in-game repetition. And, I'm willing to admit that it might not be fair to talk about Kam's "feel" for running the football, when he was never given the opportunity to touch the ball more than two or three times on any given possession. 

Maybe its best to revisit this conversation after a game in which he's actually given that opportunity. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Ahhh thank you !

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Maybe its best to revisit this conversation after a game in which he's actually given that opportunity. 

1000%. But it's April, so...

Image result for ice up son gif

On 4/20/2018 at 9:29 AM, corchjay said:

horton said it's situational...

As of now it's

KMart - runner

Miller - pass blocker

Barrett - pass catcher

Whitlow - would get more carries then Miller/Barrett

Asa - Would get more carries then Miller/Barrett if anyone were to get hurt.  I think they are really going to try to make him a special teams warrior this year.  

Rotation among running backs.. Sohnds like a disaster waiting to happen. 

On 4/26/2018 at 4:05 PM, Barnacle said:

His YPC was always high because he possesses legitimate big-play ability, and demonstrated it consistently throughout the season. Never mind about carries. No disagreement on that point. 

My comments are based on carries like the one at 4:43, and 6:25

This is what Martin has the biggest problem with...look at 6:12 of the video. And this was just a safety. lol.

58 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Rotation among running backs.. Sohnds like a disaster waiting to happen. 

So everyone's going to know it is a pass play, when Miller enters the game? I hope they plan on not doing that every time.

Talk about telegraphing plays...

20 hours ago, steeleagle said:

So everyone's going to know it is a pass play, when Miller enters the game? I hope they plan on not doing that every time.

Talk about telegraphing plays...

Or the coaches could actually coach and not do the same tendencies, even when rotating backs. I know that is too hard to ask at Auburn even though I see other teams do it every Saturday.

Archived