Nova: Decoding the Weather Machine

homersapien

10 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Sorry, I don’t see where waste is addressed. Did I overlook it?

Some of the benefits of this TWR system is that it uses old depleted uranium waste as fuel, is theoretically 50x more efficient, can operate for much longer periods of time before refueling (~ a decade vs 18 months), and the volume of spent nuclear fuel is projected to be about 80% less than current light water systems. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Some of the benefits of this TWR system is that it uses old depleted uranium waste as fuel, is theoretically 50x more efficient, can operate for much longer periods of time before refueling (~ a decade vs 18 months), and the volume of spent nuclear fuel is projected to be about 80% less than current light water systems. 

Thanks.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:34 AM, johnnyAU said:

Wait a second.

You said man made CO2 (and presumably other greenhouse gases) aren't the cause of global warming and argued that CO2 is not a pollutant anyway.

If so, why should we invest in costly alternatives like nuclear energy when there is enough coal and gas to last us for generations?

While you're at it, please explain why you think utilizing wind and solar to the maximum possible benefit is a bad thing to do?

No one has suggested wind and solar - at least using current technology - will meet all of our energy needs all of the time.  But they can certainly meet some of them.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

While you're at it, please explain why you think utilizing wind and solar to the maximum possible benefit is a bad thing to do?

No one has suggested wind and solar - at least using current technology - will meet all of our energy needs all of the time.  But they can certainly meet some of them.

Solar and windmills have their own problems:

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/environmental-impacts-wind-power

https://www.westernjournal.com/gas-prices-soar-californians-find-green-energy-useless-blackout/

https://www.ledwatcher.com/environmental-effects-solar-farms/

19 hours ago, Tiger Sue said:

Of course they do.  Any technology comes with it's own set of problems.

The point is to make rational trade-offs among the options and consequences of using - or not using - them.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Of course they do.  Any technology comes with it's own set of problems.

The point is to make rational trade-offs among the options and consequences of using - or not using - them.

I agree but in doing that I personally don't think windmills or solar farms are the answer. Right now I think nuclear is the best option, recognizing it has it's own shortcomings.

21 minutes ago, Tiger Sue said:

I agree but in doing that I personally don't think windmills or solar farms are the answer. Right now I think nuclear is the best option, recognizing it has it's own shortcomings.

There is no such thing as "the" answer or even the "best" option.

There is however, such a thing as "the" goal or objective - which is to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions. 

How we do so is going to involve a lot of different technical solutions, including solar and wind power as well as nuclear.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

There is however, such a thing as "the" goal or objective - which is to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions. 

How we do so is going to involve a lot of different technical solutions, including solar and wind power as well as nuclear.

OK then I will say IMO windmills and solar farms are not  good options considering ALL factors

2 hours ago, Tiger Sue said:

OK then I will say IMO windmills and solar farms are not  good options considering ALL factors

They are viable options that work. What are the "factors" that should prevent their use?  Did you understand my post?

Archived