Gus is an average coach

AUIH1

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nobody wants to talk much about that fumble near the goal line that changed the entire momentum of the game.....but ..the point above was a big factor too. ,,though I'm not sure where coaching came into either one of those incidents.....JMO 

Maybe put a different running back in the game? 

It's super obvious. Almost all of it is. Gus has made a lot of bad decisions. He's made a lot more good ones. Not complicated. Neither worthy nor in need of all the vigorous defense. 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wait a minute...how about a post of our offense against good teams....that list above is just cherry picking ;the facts to support your point....nobody scores a bunch of points against good defenses....which is why the defenses are called "good defenses". 

Here ya go.  Like I said if you remove the outlier win against UGA in 2017 and the 41 against a very mediocre LSU squad in 2014 we still don't have quality offense against good defenses.  We make our hay on offense beating the crap out of teams in which we have superior athletes.  We burn the barn down when we play teams with comparable athletes.

24 against Mercer
23 in a loss to LSU
40 against UGA which was covered
26 against Bama

18    LSU

26   Texas A&M

20  Kansas State
41   LSU

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

yes but the point being made was about the offense...not the wins or losses.   so what's the deal with number of points.....I hated to lose some games when we scored in the 30s or 40s for gosh sakes. 

Me too.  I think we all thought, get the D shored up and AU will be unstoppable... We thought after Gus' first 2 - 3 years, that any offensive "weirdness" was probably anomalies and product of a learning curve. 

However, I/we who are still skeptical that Gus has learned how to be consistent, the point being made about the O is mainly regarding those "weird" games they're still having 2-4 times per year.

Get whipped by a better defense? We understand. 

Coach a team that looks like it forgot how to play offensive football? We don't.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

116 total yards of offense against Clemson in one of the most high profile early season matchups in the country. 11 sacks surrendered. We somehow did worse against them than we did with the CoxCat the season before. Absolutely breathtaking ineptitude. In a very, very big game. 

We've scored 13 points or less 8 times in the last 3 seasons. 

That pretty much sums up the frustration with the offense.

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If it's not going to get called then we should be doing it, too. Especially against that sorry lot. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe put a different running back in the game

It's super obvious. Almost all of it is. Gus has made a lot of bad decisions. He's made a lot more good ones. Not complicated. Neither worthy nor in need of all the vigorous defense. 

Gotta be honest - I would prefer the latter to the former.

Just now, AUld fAUx@ said:

Gotta be honest - I would prefer the latter to the former.

As the conversation revolves primarily around scoring points, I'd be happy to focus on that. And I have been, since early December, which can't be healthy. 

(It's entirely possible that we were giving as good as we got, but we with our O&B filters aren't likely to have an objective read on that.)

22 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Me too.  I think we all thought, get the D shored up and AU will be unstoppable... We thought after Gus' first 2 - 3 years, that any offensive "weirdness" was probably anomalies and product of a learning curve. 

However, I/we who are still skeptical that Gus has learned how to be consistent, the point being made about the O is mainly regarding those "weird" games they're still having 2-4 times per year.

Get whipped by a better defense? We understand. 

Coach a team that looks like it forgot how to play offensive football? We don't.

We'll there are two kinds of offensive football (actively aggressive; attacking or causing someone to feel upset, or angry.)  :-\

Just now, gr82be said:

We'll there are two kinds of offensive football (actively aggressive; attacking or causing someone to feel upset, or angry.)  :-\

"What kind of offense does Auburn run?"
"Both kinds."

Image result for blues brothers gif

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As the conversation revolves primarily around scoring points, I'd be happy to focus on that. And I have been, since early December, which can't be healthy. 

(It's entirely possible that we were giving as good as we got, but we with our O&B filters aren't likely to have an objective read on that.)

And another thanks for that.

Also, would seem (to me) a more effective approach.

Whether the alternative was or could have been effective or not, I'd, personally, still kind'a prefer the ready-depth on hand approach. Just seems, um,  less unseemly.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"What kind of offense does Auburn run?"
"Both kinds."

Image result for blues brothers gif

Lol, that's perfect. Elwood represents the first half of the LSU game and Jake is the second half. 

15 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

And another thanks for that.

Also, would seem (to me) a more effective approach.

Whether the alternative was or could have been effective or not, I'd, personally, still kind'a prefer the ready-depth on hand approach. Just seems, um,  less unseemly.

And who can argue with that.

9 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I want to see us recruit with a much greater sense of urgency, especially top tier recruits. I’m tired of reading articles about how recruit so and so loved our “family vibe” and “almost” committed. Saban got knocked off his #1 class rating for one season last year by UGA, and he’s getting commitments left and right. We are currently 29th, with 4 commitments. Bama, UGA, and TAMU all have at lease twice that many. Last year we claimed struggles because of hot seat talk. Well, this year Gus has a long term extension and we are coming off of an SEC West championship. We should be getting commitments at an insane pace. In short, I’m ready to hear some recruits describe our coaches as relentless, the way they describe Saban, and Smart, and more recently, Pruitt. 

Yep great post . We keep talking about depth in recruiting and the advantages that other teams have with it. Well we need to do something about . At one point of time Clemson was consistently like us in terms of recruiting. And then they started consistently winning and finishing the job with their recruits. Now they are going into that next level of domination. Still if you got to 247 recruiting rankings for last year, there is not a huge difference between SEC team 3,4,5,6. UGA has amazing recruiting class last year. Hats off to them. We have pretty dang good talent and our fans need to start recognizing and acting like we belong.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

That pretty much sums up the frustration with the offense.

understandable....though two of those last three we really struggled at QB....hoping that's been resolved for a while now. ...and a healthy team beat bama and Uga back to back......I'm optimistic about the coming year and not gonna spend any time crying about what happened 3 years ago. JMO...

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

So why in your mind did we only score 7 against UGA in the SECCG when we scored 40 before? 

I told you why in my first post... because we didn't have a plan b when the plan wasn't working and we didn't have back-ups ready to replace Kerryon when Georgia took him out.  I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to see the nuances. You always want to make blanket statements and then play the "Gus supporter" card when anyone tries to explain the bigger picture.

4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Good coaches don't put the whole team on one star players shoulders. 

Good coaches don't WANT to put the whole team on one star player's shoulders... or in the case of 2015-16 several star players... but sometimes they don't have a choice because that player is just that much better than anyone below them. Sometimes they are still learning how to be better staffs and the importance of having #s 3, 4, & 5 on the depth chart ready to roll because #1 & 2 might not last the season... sometimes they have yet to build dept enough for 3, 4, & 5 to be good enough to plug-and-play. 

Let me ask you this. Do you think that Mark Richt is a good head coach? How about Jim Harbaugh? Both of them have had seasons tank because of the loss of key starters, and they are just the first two I could think of.

8 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Gus just gameplanned the same as before with no new input and decided his best chance of winning was playing an injured player.

And now we're back to the Gus doesn't care about winning, he just does stupid stuff because he's stubborn argument. How about you go back and watch the game and see how many scoring drives were lost to turnovers... there's 14 possible, 7 definite points off the board... I guess Gus called those turnovers, right? Then our never miss kicker has a 31 yard field goal blocked. I'm sure that was part of the game plan too. And of course, we totally planned for our star QB to go 16/32 (50%) for 145 yards and 4.5 yards per completion. Kinda funny how our 3 pre-bowl losses were his 3 worst statistical games of the season, and the bowl was the worst for interceptions. Yes, when things weren't working, we should have changed it up, but you can't discount the fact that the ball flat out didn't bounce our way, a key member of our offense was incapable of playing at his usual level, and our QB was not having his best day.

While you're at it, go back and watch the season and see how many great runs Kerryon where he made up for deficiencies in blocking to get the extra yards. Kam may be a solid back, and he's hopefully even better this year, but last year he was no Kerryon. Anyone else on our roster who was healthy was, without a doubt, a step down. When you are playing one of the best teams in the country, your QB is having a rough game, and your O-Line is flat out of juice, a step down is not a great option.

Meanwhile...back to the OP...

if Gus is an average coach there must be half a dozen coaches in the SEC alone who are better and thirty in the Power 5.....so still waiting on names of 4 or 5 who would do better at AU....and why you think that is the case?  

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

if Gus is an average coach there must be half a dozen coaches in the SEC alone who are better and thirty in the Power 5.....so still waiting on names of 4 or 5 who would do better at AU....and why you think that is the case?  

Average is a word misused as frequently as literally and committed. In the football world, average = less than perfect.

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Mediocre is another great word to describe Gus if the semantics of “average” is still tripping you up. 

Gus has to start winning bowl games and road rivalry games to be more than mediocre/ average/ lukewarm/ middle-of-the-road/ ordinary, etc, etc,  also. 

I, too, share the fears of our OL recruiting classes being his ultimate undoing. 

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Mediocre is another great word to describe Gus if the semantics of “average” is still tripping you up. 

Still looking for some if the better coaches on your list...ones we could have a shot at....sounds like that should be easy

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Still looking for some if the better coaches on your list...ones we could have a shot at....sounds like that should be easy

That we could have a shot at? Why? Or a list of SEC coaches better than Gus? Does having a league full of either mediocre or inexperienced coaches mean that Gus isn’t mediocre?

As for my list: 

1.Saban

2. Fisher

3. Malzahn/ Smart

5. Mullens 

6. Muschamp

7 and ⬇️: Make the list yourself, foo!

50 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I believe we've established that the OP was just bait and almost none of us actually believes that.  Poor guy is going through something I cannot even imagine with his cancer and so I don't judge but I think it was just lashing out.

Now the conversation has morphed into a bunch of different subjects all semi-related.

Werecruit primarily in 3 states, al,  ga, & FL. I grew up in alabama, lived and worked 12 years in ga, lived, worked and retired in fl. I understand the recruiting barriers we face in all three states. I don't believe many of our fan base do. In two of the state's the state school has 70 - 80 percent loyalty, and in FL, fsu and florida have about 85 % loyalty, throw in um and that about locks in the entire state. Anyone that thinks our coaches should win a high percentage of recruiting battles in these states are just wrong. I commend our staff for doing well recruiting. No excuses here, just stating the honest facts. The next time you feel the need to be critical of our staff over recruiting, try and think about battles won in a harsh environment.

IMO Gus is the third best coach currently in the SEC only behind Jimbo and NS. I will say this...coaching is so subjective. For example, is Kevin Sumlin a better coach than David Cutcliffe? If you look at the numbers and nothing else, one would say yes, but if you look at the fact that one coaches at Duke and the other at Texas A&M how would that affect your deciding factor?

That is why I am so interested in seeing what Dan does in Florida.

8 minutes ago, grandpajay said:

We recruit in primarily 3 states al,  ga, & FL. I grew up in alabama, lived and worked 12 years in ga, lived, worked and retired in fl. I understand the recruiting barriers we face in all three states. I don't believe many of our fan base do. In two of the state's the state school has 70 - 80 percent loyalty, and in FL, fsu and florida have about 85 % loyalty, throw in um and that about locks in the entire state. Anyone that thinks our coaches should win a high percentage of recruiting battles in these states are just wrong. I commend our staff for doing well recruiting. No excuses here, just stating the honest facts. The next time you feel the need to be critical of our staff over recruiting, try and think about battles won in a harsh environment.

Good point. Until last year though, we had a string of several top 10 classes. We are not missing on 7 or 8 key guys a year, we’re missing on 2 or 3. Clemson is getting top shelf talent in Georgia and Florida. That wasn’t happening with Tommy Bowden, but Dabo upgraded the brand. A large part of his game is off the charts enthusiasm and selling a vision. Those traits aren’t exactly strengths of our HC. We’re a really good program but need to upgrade our intensity and sense of urgency to be a great program. 

Archived