Gus is an average coach

AUIH1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Yes, pretty close to normal, perhaps a little below. Some big selling point for a random basher to support his whining? Nah.

Okay so you agree Its below average . Mikey you Gus basher you 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What two games did we actually win when trailing by 7+ at half? I would do the research myself but I’m at work, so don’t call me a millineum....

3 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

What two games did we actually win when trailing by 7+ at half? I would do the research myself but I’m at work, so don’t call me a millineum....

The iron bowl  in 2013 for sure 

We trailed TAMU by 7 at HT in 2013 as well. So both games were in 2013....I’ll keep researching, but this isn’t looking good for our recent history. 

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

We trailed TAMU by 7 at HT in 2013 as well. So both games were in 2013....I’ll keep researching, but this isn’t looking good for our recent history. 

I'm still more concerned about the 14 we've lost after leading at halftime. That's almost 3 games a season for 5 years, and includes the BCSCG where we scored 0 points in the 3rd quarter.

Wonder what the average is there...

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm still more concerned about the 14 we've lost after leading at halftime. That's almost 3 games a season for 5 years, and includes the BCSCG where we scored 0 points in the 3rd quarter.

Yikes , yikes , yikes. Did not think about that.

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Why have you chosen to ruin a perfectly good Thursday morning  for me. WHY????

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

You're right... if you want to be the equivalent of a minor league NFL team and at the pinnacle of the sport, Saban has laid out the road map and Smart is most likely following suit. But the thing is, we're talking about a bunch of 18-22 year old kids here. I don't think Gus or Auburn can bring themselves to the point of treating them like a part in a machine, especially when the vast majority of them won't play football after they are done at Auburn. I think Gus would rather his players have fun and learn to be good men than win it all every year if he knew it would require giving that up. I agree with that. I'll take 3-4 losses a year if I know that the majority of our guys are going to have a better opportunity at a good life because of it.

I also don't think anyone at Gus's level is overtly worried about being fired. I guarantee you that he could retire, tomorrow, on the money he's already made. Coaches don't coach because they need the job. They coach because they love the game and they love the kids, or in some cases, because they desire a legacy.

My thing is you can still provide what makes AU special to these kids and also give them all the coaching that our rivals are. Does it have to be as cold-hearted? No, but it's a huge disadvantage for our program to throw a jelly fish in the tank while our opponents are a bunch of sharks, as @keeslersaid. 

Also if  Gus isn't worried about getting fired then he never bend over backwards to make it seem like he's not calling plays or involved in the offense anymore. If he wasn't worried about being fired he wouldn't have made Rhett the scapegoat or told him to leave, he wouldn't have opened up the playbook vs UGA part 1 and the Iron Bowl. Heck, you could argue if he wasn't worried about being fired he wouldn't consider every play a "crunch time moment". If he wasn't worried about being fired he wouldn't play everything so close to the vest, including the offensive game plans post-2014 (1st down up the gut 90% of the time???). Every coach is worried about being fired. To make the assertion that they're not in such a hyper competitive field is reaching IMO. You can be worried about being fired and it have nothing to do with your financial situation. Also, there's no way he would rather have fun than win games. Look at him having freakouts on the sideline. Does that look like a man having fun to you? The guy looks like he has sand in his underwear during games. The only time he looked like he was having fun this year was after beating UGA and Bama because he could finally exhale and say "my job is safe".

And also, if we're paying our coach a top 5 or 10 salary those results need be in the top 10 range consistently, it makes no sense to pay for top tier results and say it's ok that we don't reach those results because of "having fun".

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

My thing is you can still provide what makes AU special to these kids and also give them all the coaching that our rivals are. Does it have to be as cold-hearted? No, but it's a huge disadvantage for our program to throw a jelly fish in the tank while our opponents are a bunch of sharks, as @keeslersaid. 

Also if  Gus isn't worried about getting fired then he never bend over backwards to make it seem like he's not calling plays or involved in the offense anymore. If he wasn't worried about being fired he wouldn't have made Rhett the scapegoat or told him to leave, he wouldn't have opened up the playbook vs UGA part 1 and the Iron Bowl. Heck, you could argue if he wasn't worried about being fired he wouldn't consider every play a "crunch time moment". If he wasn't worried about being fired he wouldn't play everything so close to the vest, including the offensive game plans post-2014 (1st down up the gut 90% of the time???). Every coach is worried about being fired. To make the assertion that they're not in such a hyper competitive field is reaching IMO. You can be worried about being fired and it have nothing to do with your financial situation. Also, there's no way he would rather have fun than win games. Look at him having freakouts on the sideline. Does that look like a man having fun to you? The guy looks like he has sand in his underwear during games. The only time he looked like he was having fun this year was after beating UGA and Bama because he could finally exhale and say "my job is safe".

And also, if we're paying our coach a top 5 or 10 salary those results need be in the top 10 range consistently, it makes no sense to pay for top tier results and say it's ok that we don't reach those results because of "having fun".

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

OR maybe he actually loves the game of football, wants to do the best for the team, and wants to win and ALL of those things happened because of that (well, except for the first one... that happened because he was sick of the constant speculation). I find it extremely odd that a narrative has developed that places our coach in the position of being a bumbling idiot who doesn't know what he is doing and has to be hit with a cattle prod by someone above him who obviously knows how to coach football better than he does, even though they've never coached a snap, since they are making him do all of these things correctly. The reality is, some fans don't like him... some haven't liked him from day 1, so they've created these narratives to make him out to be a puppet who is only motivated by the threat of losing his job. All losing his job would do to him is reduce his blood pressure dramatically. He'd definitely miss the kids, but there are plenty of teams who have seen what he has done and would snatch him up in an instant.

As for having fun vs winning games, I'm not talking about him having fun, I'm talking about the team having fun. Gus has made it pretty clear that he is concerned about his players quality of life and enjoyment of the game.

And he looked like he was having fun after Georgia and bama because he just beat the #1 team in the country, twice, not because he was thinking "now my job is safe". It's like the whole raise thing... there's this absurd scenario that Gus was in his bosses office the next day saying pay me or I'm gone. The truth is, Gus have very little if anything to do with all of that. Jimmy Sexton orchestrated the whole thing and he didn't do it to make Gus rich or stick it to Auburn. He did it to line his own pockets with his 10% (or whatever he gets).

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

For the record, Gus is the 3rd highest paid coach in the SEC (and who knows what Sexton will negotiate for Smart... it's expected his salary could match Malzahn's in 2018 once Sexton is done negotiating) and has finished 2nd in the SEC the past 2 years. So, if you want to use the "rank needs to match the pay" mark, he's actually outperforming his salary.

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

OR maybe he actually loves the game of football, wants to do the best for the team, and wants to win and ALL of those things happened because of that (well, except for the first one... that happened because he was sick of the constant speculation). I find it extremely odd that a narrative has developed that places our coach in the position of being a bumbling idiot who doesn't know what he is doing and has to be hit with a cattle prod by someone above him who obviously knows how to coach football better than he does, even though they've never coached a snap, since they are making him do all of these things correctly. The reality is, some fans don't like him... some haven't liked him from day 1, so they've created these narratives to make him out to be a puppet who is only motivated by the threat of losing his job. All losing his job would do to him is reduce his blood pressure dramatically. He'd definitely miss the kids, but there are plenty of teams who have seen what he has done and would snatch him up in an instant.

As for having fun vs winning games, I'm not talking about him having fun, I'm talking about the team having fun. Gus has made it pretty clear that he is concerned about his players quality of life and enjoyment of the game.

And he looked like he was having fun after Georgia and bama because he just beat the #1 team in the country, twice, not because he was thinking "now my job is safe". It's like the whole raise thing... there's this absurd scenario that Gus was in his bosses office the next day saying pay me or I'm gone. The truth is, Gus have very little if anything to do with all of that. Jimmy Sexton orchestrated the whole thing and he didn't do it to make Gus rich or stick it to Auburn. He did it to line his own pockets with his 10% (or whatever he gets).

For the record, Gus is the 3rd highest paid coach in the SEC (and who knows what Sexton will negotiate for Smart... it's expected his salary could match Malzahn's in 2018 once Sexton is done negotiating) and has finished 2nd in the SEC the past 2 years. So, if you want to use the "rank needs to match the pay" mark, he's actually outperforming his salary.

We can just agree to disagree, man. There have been enough reputable posters on here saying things like Gus has been told certain things by his bosses for me, personally, to buy into it. The way I connect the dots is not the way you connect them and that's just fine. This convo will continue going in circles and we have another 4 months of this so I'm going just to pace myself ;D

We just view things differently. You'd make one hell of a lawyer, though lol :cheers:

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

We can just agree to disagree, man. There have been enough reputable posters on here saying things like Gus has been told certain things by his bosses for me, personally, to buy into it. The way I connect the dots is not the way you connect them and that's just fine. This convo will continue going in circles and we have another 4 months of this so I'm going just to pace myself ;D

We just view things differently. You'd make one hell of a lawyer, though lol :cheers:

I'm good with that, but unless someone is flying under the radar or I'm just not paying attention, no one on here, that I'm aware of, has an in with the team anymore, so they are just passing on hearsay. PTB has an in when it comes to injuries, 23 has an in when it comes to recruiting (when he's around), and Red & E sometimes hear/see stuff when they are working for the athletic department, but that's pretty much it. Gus has slowly locked things down over the years.

Thank for the complement (well, I guess it's  a complement depending on how you view lawyers :))

I've enjoyed our back and forth. It's always very cordial.  War Eagle brother.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm good with that, but unless someone is flying under the radar or I'm just not paying attention, no one on here, that I'm aware of, has an in with the team anymore, so they are just passing on hearsay. PTB has an in when it comes to injuries, 23 has an in when it comes to recruiting (when he's around), and Red & E sometimes hear/see stuff when they are working for the athletic department, but that's pretty much it. Gus has slowly locked things down over the years.

Thank for the complement (well, I guess it's  a complement depending on how you view lawyers :))

I've enjoyed our back and forth. It's always very cordial.  War Eagle brother.

Yessir! You're always respectful and I appreciate how you lay out your thoughts. Lol the lawyer comment was not a jab I swear, consider it a compliment to your debating skills.

WDE!

On 4/25/2018 at 12:04 PM, McLoofus said:

True, but Mikey is a benevolent troll who I respect and enjoy engaging with. I've tried like hell to get under his skin, with little or no success. ;D

I seem to have no trouble getting under his skin even to the point of him hurling offensive insults towards me.

And YES, Gus is an average HC.

wde

On 4/25/2018 at 1:25 AM, GwillMac6 said:

Not gonna lie not really what I was looking for in a response for you! Wanted more of a Auburn perspective answer and how you agree with me that we need our down years to be 9 or 10 wins. PLUS FOR THE LOVE OF PAT DYE we need to string together back to back 10 win seasons! lol. That is what I was looking for. You just went a whole other direction and I was not feeling it! haha. BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  O and to finally respond to the points in your post OF COURSE they did not freak out. They are frickin OU!! They expect the best. We are Auburn we expect the worse. REMEMBER (WAIT HOW COULD YOU FORGET WHEN WE OUR BEATEN OVER THE HEAD WITH IT! LOL) Our own fanbase rather be the underdog than the favorite. Schools like oklahoma cherish being the top dog.

down.gif

I want multiple back to back 10 win seasons. I feel we have a better chance of getting there now than in the 2000-2010 era. I don't think OU would of rattled off as many as they did in the SEC at that time period.

I would like to see our teams go out and be competitive in every game. That when we lost it was absolutely cause the other team was the better team. I want to see our players giving everything they have every Saturday regardless of win or lose. Like the Peach Bowl, I am more irritated with the players than I am Gus cause I feel they packed it in before they ever got to Atlanta and there was nothing Gus or any other coach could of done about that. Isn't the first coach it has happened to and wont be the last.

Yes, I would love to be that team that every year when someone looks at their schedule they go "Crap, Auburn. That is a toss up at best". Where our name alone is worth 7 points.

And yes, I do hate it that everyday we have to find someway to find the worse in our programs.That is the Auburn off season. You are correct, being top dog means your must cherish being in the role. That attitude has to be in the players, the coach, the university, and the fans though for it to work.

I also want to get there the right way. Lot of OU attitude was built on coaches like Switzer and Tubbs. I don't want Auburn QB's on the cover of SI being arrested for dealing cocaine with headlines that read AU Football Terrorizes Campus. Lol, friends older cousin went to OU, he has a picture of the storage unit that Stacey King kept his gifts in. Looks like a damn electronics store. Also don't want to read about us settling financially out of court with professors cause they were forced to change dozens of players grades for eligibility (Saban, Emeritt, LSU).

But, Auburn football should be fun. Time to hang with friends and family, have some good food, some cold drinks, get the BP up just a bit to know your still alive, forget about other troubles, poke some fun in a light hearted manner at others, tell some embellished stories,and show some pride and commitment to a great place regardless of where the W lies.

Plus there is nothing that Auburn can do to me that the Rangers have not already lol

cruzzzz.gif

5 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I would like to see our teams go out and be competitive in every game. That when we lost it was absolutely cause the other team was the better team.

This, so many millions of times. Just walk off the field having earned respect. 

5 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

And yes, I do hate it that everyday we have to find someway to find the worse in our programs.That is the Auburn off season. You are correct, being top dog means your must cherish being in the role. That attitude has to be in the players, the coach, the university, and the fans though for it to work.

I don't feel like we have to find some way. We've had several games over the last 3 years where the worst was shoved in our faces. And that's why I can't puff my chest out. We're very clearly not a dominant football program. 

Now, if you're telling me that fans need to embrace it when outside entities do have high expectations for us, I totally agree with you. I can't stand the "I'd rather start the season unranked" attitude. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't feel like we have to find some way. We've had several games over the last 3 years where the worst was shoved in our faces. And that's why I can't puff my chest out. We're very clearly not a dominant football program. 

Now, if you're telling me that fans need to embrace it when outside entities do have high expectations for us, I totally agree with you. I can't stand the "I'd rather start the season unranked" attitude. 

And those dominant programs do it even when they are not dominant. OU fans I knew had the same attitude with Blake as they did with Switzer. The we are OU, we will be back attitude. Texas has some very glaring issues, but they are looking forward.

Yes. Definitely no wanting to start unranked attitudes.

4 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I want multiple back to back 10 win seasons. I feel we have a better chance of getting there now than in the 2000-2010 era. I don't think OU would of rattled off as many as they did in the SEC at that time period.

I would like to see our teams go out and be competitive in every game. That when we lost it was absolutely cause the other team was the better team. I want to see our players giving everything they have every Saturday regardless of win or lose. Like the Peach Bowl, I am more irritated with the players than I am Gus cause I feel they packed it in before they ever got to Atlanta and there was nothing Gus or any other coach could of done about that. Isn't the first coach it has happened to and wont be the last.

The team takes on the coach's personality. If the team is not showing fire, then the coach needs to show some to get the team fired up. The coach is the leader of the team. It's his job to get the players ready to play and get them mentally focused. If the coach wants to get all the credit and the money to be the coach then he should shoulder a majority of the blame. 

The defense has actually improved and gotten better since Gus got here. But the offense has become so inconsistent. When you think back to Gene Chizik's tenure as the coach(excluding 2012), it seemed like we'd make adjustments in 2nd half and were able to come back in games and win them. Since Gus has been the head coach, we've seen very little of that. If we're trailing at halftime under Gus, we usually don't make adjustments and end up losing. In fact we've seen more blown leads under Gus than come from behind wins. That's alarming considering Gus has a big hand in the offensive gameplan. 

We all know Gus is going to here for at least a few more years. He's not going anywhere anytime soon. We all just want to see Gus improve the offense the way the defense has improved. Gus is getting $49 million now. Gus is getting top 10 pay, so expecting top 10 results shouldn't be considered unrealistic. That's another issue I have with so many of Gus's defenders. They're okay with Gus getting a top 10 salary but then they want to push back at fans expecting top 10 results as just being bashers or unrealistic.

Going 9-3 in 2018 will not put us in the top 10. Anything less than 10 wins(before the bowl game) will be a disappointment to me.

5 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Gus is getting top 10 pay, so expecting top 10 results shouldn't be considered unrealistic. That's another issue I have with so many of Gus's defenders. They're okay with Gus getting a top 10 salary but then they want to push back at fans expecting top 10 results as just being bashers or unrealistic.

Going 9-3 in 2018 will not put us in the top 10. Anything less than 10 wins(before the bowl game) will be a disappointment to me.

Just keep in mind that we have 3 top 10 teams on our schedule, with none of them at home. (I realize Atlanta is virtually a home game in terms of attendance, but it's still a lot different than being at JHS.) We could lose 3 (close, well-played) games and still be better than most of the teams in the top 10.

Now, if we trot out 3 stinkers like the Clemsons, LSUs, uga losses, etc? Yeah, that can't happen. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Just keep in mind that we have 3 top 10 teams on our schedule, with none of them at home. (I realize Atlanta is virtually a home game in terms of attendance, but it's still a lot different than being at JHS.) We could lose 3 (close, well-played) games and still be better than most of the teams in the top 10.

Now, if we trot out 3 stinkers like the Clemsons, LSUs, uga losses, etc? Yeah, that can't happen. 

Then we should win 2 of 3  against the top ten teams on our schedule and not lose another game given what we are paying Gus. Under Gus, none of this has been remotely the case since 2013.     

wde

8 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The team takes on the coach's personality. If the team is not showing fire, then the coach needs to show some to get the team fired up. The coach is the leader of the team. It's his job to get the players ready to play and get them mentally focused. If the coach wants to get all the credit and the money to be the coach then he should shoulder a majority of the blame. 

The defense has actually improved and gotten better since Gus got here. But the offense has become so inconsistent. When you think back to Gene Chizik's tenure as the coach(excluding 2012), it seemed like we'd make adjustments in 2nd half and were able to come back in games and win them. Since Gus has been the head coach, we've seen very little of that. If we're trailing at halftime under Gus, we usually don't make adjustments and end up losing. In fact we've seen more blown leads under Gus than come from behind wins. That's alarming considering Gus has a big hand in the offensive gameplan. 

We all know Gus is going to here for at least a few more years. He's not going anywhere anytime soon. We all just want to see Gus improve the offense the way the defense has improved. Gus is getting $49 million now. Gus is getting top 10 pay, so expecting top 10 results shouldn't be considered unrealistic. That's another issue I have with so many of Gus's defenders. They're okay with Gus getting a top 10 salary but then they want to push back at fans expecting top 10 results as just being bashers or unrealistic.

When I was a Division One athlete you already knew how to focus and prep mentally. If you didn't you didn't need on the field and probably shouldn't of been given a scholarship. Some of it is the coach, but players have to want to be motivated and shouldn't have issues at this level. Same thing happened with Saban against Utah and I'm sure I can go find a bunch of other bowl disasters if I look. I remember seeing Gus be pretty animated on several occasions in that game.

I agree. Offense needs work. I'm just gonna save my WTF's for when it goes wrong against Washington vs a random day in April. I also have no issues with constructive fair criticism.  Take your post, you give him credit for making moves to improve the defense, and are correct that offense is stagnant and that is suppose to be his thing.

If Gus falls, he is gone in 2. Especially if Alabama and Georgia are still killing it. I think all head coaches at this level are over-payed. Very few head coaches are a guarantee, the buy outs are huge, and those you believe are a guarantee are gonna cost more than the one you got ride of.

10 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

If Gus falls, he is gone in 2. Especially if Alabama and Georgia are still killing it. I think all head coaches at this level are over-payed. Very few head coaches are a guarantee, the buy outs are huge, and those you believe are a guarantee are gonna cost more than the one you got ride of.

I agree about Gus being gone in two years.  Gus will fail unless he makes some big changes in how he approaches things.  Alabama and Georgia are going to be killing it as long as Saban and Smart are there.

wde

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes our fans need to get this underdog mentality the FOH.

19 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I seem to have no trouble getting under his skin even to the point of him hurling offensive insults towards me.

And YES, Gus is an average HC.

wde

You don't get under my skin. It's just that, unlike most members here, your posts are so hateful towards Auburn that they don't deserve a polite response. I don't go to other sports boards but some here that do tell me that you are not very well thought of on other AU sites either.

I don't understand your hateful attitude towards Gus. Are you jealous because he's getting paid $7 million a year? Get over that, it's going to continue for a long time into the future.

Archived