Gus is an average coach

AUIH1

8 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I knew you would appreciate it. About to start a new round of chemo and radiation for my throat cancer.  My give a crap meter is pretty low right now in terms of an AU fan boy/girl message board.

wde

Maybe your give a crap meter should have a Shut Up switch on it, so you can stop continuously posting the same old insults and negative remarks until you are fully recovered. By then maybe you might have come up with some slight bit of original material to work with.

Continuously coming on here, posting the same old negative remarks and then playing the "Big C" card is tiresome. This isn't the first time you've used that excuse. Once was one time too many.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I knew you would appreciate it. About to start a new round of chemo and radiation for my throat cancer.  My give a crap meter is pretty low right now in terms of an AU fan boy/girl message board.

wde

I hope you kick it in the arse.........the throat cancer........not Gus? 

I deal with chronic pain that has disabled me for 12 years, but I have more respect to the fellow AU fans on here, looking for information, than to ruin their day because I’m having a crap day myself! On that note, fight the good fight brother!

People seem to forget Gus is on a learning curve. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. He seems to have corrected the Defensive problem. The SECCG we were out of gas as most people are after playing Alabama. Everyone who plays Bama gets beat up. Georgia got to coast their last game and got to rest up.

8 hours ago, api1957 said:

Image result for and gif

Is your signature photo from the movie "The Wanderers".........loved that movie..........Always heard real life Ducky Boy's were bad arse.

9 hours ago, DAG said:

You didn’t answer my question . Let me rephrase. Short of winning a NC this year, what would satisfy you with Gus?

If Gus could swing a 10-3 season I would be happy.  Gus doesn't  have to win a Natty.  Just consecutive double digit seasons.  I mean look at Spurrier at Carolina with three straight 11 win seasons.  Its not impossible.  Yet right now  Gus has shown 8-5, 7-6, 8-5 as his consistency.  Honestly he reminds me of Tubs, does just enough to save his job.  There is no reason why Gus shouldn't go 9-3 this year and win a freaking January bowl game.  We will see though.  I would  like to  think he learned a permanent lesson from LSU.

Oh Yeah...........Jacobs is gone too!!!!!!!!!!:hellyeah:

We get it you don’t like Gus but does it need to be rehashed every day in every thread.  Gus is a pretty good coach. About the norm for AU which is pretty danged good.  He and Les were the only resistance to the evil empire.  Les finally failed to win a few. 

We have won 1 and played in 2 SEC championship games in 5 years.  If that’s not good enough then I don’t know what else to say.  Can we have a good run? Yes.  Will we?  I don’t know.  

Everyone talks about predictable play calling.  All offenses are pretty predictable when you study them.  Yes even Bama’s or Texas tech or Georgia tech.  Same as ours.  Our offense is generally top 3ish in ththe conference and our defense is getting there now.  Does the ball or injuries bounce our way?  2013 it did 2017 it didn’t.  

Grow up and realize we arent entitled to wins.  We have to earn them the hard way.  

13 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Win an SECCG in 2018 or 2019.

Gus caught lighting in a bottle twice in 2013.  Do it without miracles.

wde

I don't see two miracles when I think of 2013. I'll concede the UGA game as a miracle catch but not the Bama game. To me that was a situational decision that clearly showed one coaching staff out thinking the other. 11 guys doing their job for Auburn and 11 guys being out hustled for Bama. No miracle or lightning needed. Most coaches would have conceded OT there and just gone for a block at best. Auburn sets up a return and that is not miraculous to me, just a spur of the moment decision that amazed the college football world. 

17 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Gus has had one very good year (2013).  Followed by three below average years then one good year (2017) (except for the SECCG failure and the the bowl game failure which trends 2017 down a lot). I am said this before, and I am posting it again, I was on on the Gus Bus full force until Gus allowed UGA to abuse us in 2014. At that point Gus lost my trust as an AU HC,    I want Gus to be a very good coach for AU but I have serious doubts going back to UGA 2014 that he can regain my trust .  Regular season 2017 was a good starting point but Gus followed that up with the SECCG and the bowl game.  I am not a fan of Gus at all. 

wde

I am sorry to hear of your cancer struggles and lift a prayer for your peace, strength, and recovery. Regarding Gus, here’s some perspective. Gus has beaten Bama 2 times in 5 years. UT, UF, UGA, MSU, ARKY, and a few other SEC schools have not beaten him since he’s been at Bama, 11 years. 40% of the SEC West championships over 5 years is pretty solid. He’s made some blunders, but I do believe he’s developing past them. WDE, and stay strong!

9 hours ago, toddc said:

I deal with chronic pain that has disabled me for 12 years, but I have more respect to the fellow AU fans on here, looking for information, than to ruin their day because I’m having a crap day myself! On that note, fight the good fight brother!

EXACTLY!

Meanwhile I keep wondering (because nobody seems to have provided the information) ... The OP says  average and I keep wondering.....compared to "what population of coaches? "  Average has mathematical connotations and any statement that something or someone is average should include a basis for the comparison. 

Since even in that small population of SEC coaches, the term average would indicate that about half are better coaches...and frankly I'm not sure who they are...but maybe I'm thinking "median" which is not the same thing of course but which is often close to the average.     So if half of the coaches in the SEC are "better" which is the apparent contention of the OP.....the next  question might be....how are those coaches compared?  ....what establishes the ratings?   W-L records? , championships? national rankings? conference wins? wins against ranked teams?  or what?   And of course....who are they? 

But maybe the real issue is that Gus is just that he is not what we want him to be.  

And if that's the case (which sounds like it from some of the comments) ...then the OP should have read that "Gus is a disappointing coach".....but you are still left with the issue of whether your expectations are reasonable....and the need to identify some other, better coaches  who we might have a chance to get and why that person or those persons might do better at AU than Gus? .....rather than pick scabs off  Gus's wounds.  ......and please, let's not fantasize about someone we could have hired 6 years ago.   Firing the existing coach is by far the easiest part of making a coaching change.  

Since Gus is on a long term contract, this is hypothetical but at least we should be discussing the real issue. 

8 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

If Gus could swing a 10-3 season I would be happy.  Gus doesn't  have to win a Natty.  Just consecutive double digit seasons.  I mean look at Spurrier at Carolina with three straight 11 win seasons.  Its not impossible.  Yet right now  Gus has shown 8-5, 7-6, 8-5 as his consistency.  Honestly he reminds me of Tubs, does just enough to save his job.  There is no reason why Gus shouldn't go 9-3 this year and win a freaking January bowl game.  We will see though.  I would  like to  think he learned a permanent lesson from LSU.

Oh Yeah...........Jacobs is gone too!!!!!!!!!!:hellyeah:

To be fair winning 10 in the East is probably comparable to 8 in the west.  If AU were to move East, I could easily see runs of 10+.

The disappearing act in game 1's and bowl games bothers me the most

19 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Gus has had one very good year (2013).  Followed by three below average years then one good year (2017) (except for the SECCG failure and the the bowl game failure which trends 2017 down a lot). I am said this before, and I am posting it again, I was on on the Gus Bus full force until Gus allowed UGA to abuse us in 2014. At that point Gus lost my trust as an AU HC,    I want Gus to be a very good coach for AU but I have serious doubts going back to UGA 2014 that he can regain my trust .  Regular season 2017 was a good starting point but Gus followed that up with the SECCG and the bowl game.  I am not a fan of Gus at all. 

wde

And Gus has quite the impeccable bowl record too doesn’t he? That Birmingham Bowl win was huge

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To be fair winning 10 in the East is probably comparable to 8 in the west.  If AU were to move East, I could easily see runs of 10+.

The disappearing act in game 1's and bowl games bothers me the most

So should the disappearing act in the SECCG last year.

wde

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

So should the disappearing act in the SECCG last year.

wde

I would consider that the same as a bowl game.

19 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

I am very sorry you are having to deal with cancer it must be very hard!

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Well I'll be damn I agree with you. I will say I think he would have turned into a very good coach had he stayed at LSU but nothing like what he has now at turd land. LSU has nothing like the REC

Saban was very good at LSU.  AU should have hired him after he went to Miami.  Just like we should have hired Kirby.

wde

2 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I am very sorry you are having to deal with cancer it must be very hard!

Thank you. You just deal with it if you have to and I hope no one ever has to deal with it.   You can't quit. You always have to fight.

wde

31 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Saban was very good at LSU.  AU should have hired him after he went to Miami.  Just like we should have hired Kirby.

wde

Strongly disagree.

LSU 

Year.    Record.   Final AP rank

'00            8-4            22

'01            10-3            7

'02            8-5        Unranked

'03            13-1            2

'04             9-3           16

48-16    .750pct.      3-2 in bowl games

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/nick-saban-1.html

Gus is 45-22(.672) in his 5 years at Auburn

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Strongly disagree.

LSU 

Year.    Record.   Final AP rank

'00            8-4            22

'01            10-3            7

'02            8-5        Unranked

'03            13-1            2

'04             9-3          16

48-16    .750pct.      3-2 in bowl games

Gus is 45-22(.672) in his 5 years at Auburn

Still better than Gus.

wde

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

Still better than Gus.

wde

By 0.078.  You're right...huge difference. :-\

BTW, SEC west was much weaker when Saban was at LSU compared to the time Gus has been at AU.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

By 0.078.  You're right...huge difference. :-\

BTW, SEC west was much weaker when Saban was at LSU compared to the time Gus has been at AU.

I never said it was a huge difference, but just compare the two coaches at two comparable stops including LSU and give me Saban now, yesterday and tomorrow as HC at AU.  Gus has issues.  Saban does not.  Neither does Kirby.  Of course, neither Saban nor Kirby had to deal with Jay Jacobs.

wde

.750 against

Miss State =  Sherrill &Croom

Ole Miss = David Cutcliff

Arkansas = Houston Nutt

Alabama = Dubose, Francione, Shula

Auburn = Tuberville

Florida = Zook

...Isn't too impressive. Those names aren't exactly lining the walls at the hall of fame.

Just now, bigbird said:

.750 against

Miss State =  Sherrill &Croom

Ole Miss = David Cutcliff

Arkansas = Houston Nutt

Alabama = Dubose, Francione, Shula

Auburn = Tuberville

Florida = Zook

...Isn't too impressive. Those names aren't exactly lining the walls at hall of fame.

Are the current ones since Saban has been at Alabama?   What is the same comparison for AU coaches Tuberville, Chizik and Gus?

wde

14 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I never said it was a huge difference, but just compare the two coaches at two comparable stops including LSU and give me Saban now, yesterday and tomorrow as HC at AU.  Gus has issues.  Saban does not.  Neither does Kirby.  Of course, neither Saban nor Kirby had to deal with Jay Jacobs.

wde

The problem there is Saban ,before the REC, was average against weaker teams.  Put Saban at South Carolina , Ole Miss, AU, or LSU and he is a  middle of the road coach that will make a run every few years.  You can't compare anyone to what he is doing at UA because it is not a fair comparison. It would be like comparing American power lifters of the 70's and 80's to East German power lifters of the 70's and 80's.  There's just something that skews the numbers.

Archived