Gus is an average coach

AUIH1

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

Your mind will change when UGA takes a step back this year. 

OK. What is a step back for UGA in your opinion?

wde

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Is your signature photo from the movie "The Wanderers".........loved that movie..........Always heard real life Ducky Boy's were bad arse.

Indeed!! One of my favorites! Ducky Boys is my screen name for disqus and instagram. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Just trade out your AU stuff for UGA or SC stuff and you'll be hapoy

Amen. 

Being an AU fan under Gus seems to be something you should avoid. 

I swear you and A4E are related. 

I, for one, do not think AU made a mistake not hiring Smart. I want nothing to do with him. Of course, I wouldn’t mind the easy schedule he’s had these last few years...

18 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Amen. 

Being an AU fan under Gus seems to be something you should avoid. 

I swear you and A4E are related. 

I, for one, do not think AU made a mistake not hiring Smart. I want nothing to do with him. Of course, I wouldn’t mind the easy schedule he’s had these last few years...

LOL, We should had hired Smart before Gus and let the money war between us and UGA  happen

wde

2 hours ago, api1957 said:

Indeed!! One of my favorites! Ducky Boys is my screen name for disqus and instagram. 

Met the guy(name escapes me) that was the son of the guy in your pic, the one that gets his arm broke by ducky boys, when I was an extra in the movie Back Roads........he also played Meat in Porky's.........I was 14 I believe, was paid 35.10 a day for 6 days.......was ready to hitchhike to Hollywood?

Also met Sally Field and at the time I met and had know idea who Tommy Lee Jones was lmao.

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

OK. What is a step back for UGA in your opinion?

wde

Waiting on your answer.

wde

12 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Met the guy(name escapes me) that was the son of the guy in your pic, the one that gets his arm broke by ducky boys, when I was an extra in the movie Back Roads........he also played Meat in Porky's.........I was 14 I believe, was paid 35.10 a day for 6 days.......was ready to hitchhike to Hollywood?

Also met Sally Field and at the time I met and had know idea who Tommy Lee Jones was lmao.

His son in the movie was Joey (John Friedrich) and Meat/Perry was Tony Ganois. But I know what you mean ?. Side note, the guy who played Terror, the leader of the baldies, was Dynamo in The Running Man.

14 minutes ago, api1957 said:

His son in the movie was Joey (John Friedrich) and Meat/Perry was Tony Ganois. But I know what you mean ?. Side note, the guy who played Terror, the leader of the baldies, was Dynamo in The Running Man.

I had no idea............I did remember reading years ago that Terror was quite intelligent.

On 4/20/2018 at 2:47 PM, AUIH1 said:

Gene Chizik won that NC.   Gus won the 2013 SECCG and lost the real championship game.  Gus has won nothing other than the 2013  SECCG.  Wake me up when Gus wins another legitimate Championship.

wde

Just a thought: you may want to concentrate a little more on your health, and upcoming surgery, and a little less on Gus? Again, just a thought.

9 hours ago, DAG said:

I will say this , if you put Gus on Alabama the last decade or so, he won’t have the same success in my eyes that Saban has. You can call it the REC, you can call it whatever you want. At the end of the day, you still have to coach, evaluate talent properly and put your players in the best position to win games. Is Gus average? No. He is solid.

People said the only reason Phil Jackson won was because he had Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen. People forget Doug Collins had them too.

Dag I’m not disagreeing with you but when your top 50 players on your squad is not just a little better but a lot better in talent it’s hard to lose.  If Gus or any other coach had the same talent they would be right there.  Not sayin as good but definitely wouldn’t be far behind.  

28 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Dag I’m not disagreeing with you but when your top 50 players on your squad is not just a little better but a lot better in talent it’s hard to lose.  If Gus or any other coach had the same talent they would be right there.  Not sayin as good but definitely wouldn’t be far behind.  

That’s fair . I am not saying he doesn’t have an upper hand by recruiting the talent he has . I am only saying talent alone doesn’t make you a dynasty . It sure as heck helps though. 

29 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Bingo!  $abear is the coach he is at bammer because he basically gets to play by a different set of rules -- plus Emmert gives him a hall pass whenever he asks for one also -- and is simply loaded at just about every position. When people look at four and five star recruits on the two deep in FBS D1 football, there is bammer and then there is everyone else.  UGA under Smart this past recruiting season was one of the few I have seen that have competed on an even playing field with bammer and $abear.  Last one? Hugh Freeze, and we know how that turned out.

$abear is a pretty average game day coach. He just has talent stockpiled all up and down through the depth chart.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s fair . I am not saying he doesn’t have an upper hand by recruiting the talent he has . I am only saying talent alone doesn’t make you a dynasty . It sure as heck helps though. 

It sure does.

It won't matter how good or not good a coach Gus is if we get crushed in O line recruiting like we did this past year and/or We have a good class on paper of Carr, Harrell, Kim, Sammons and Sharpe where all of them were at least 4 stars on 1 site and none of them have panned out except MAYBE harrell. You can make a argue about him. That is one sure way to have a season go south in a hurry. It can set you back for years if you do not rectify the situation in crutin. This year we are going to pay the price for it. It will cost us a least a couple of games that we otherwise would of won handidly in past years.

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It won't matter how good or not good a coach Gus is if we get crushed in O line recruiting like we did this past year and/or We have a good class on paper of Carr, Harrell, Kim, Sammons and Sharpe where all of them were at least 4 stars on 1 site and none of them have panned out except MAYBE harrell. You can make a argue about him. That is one sure way to have a season go south in a hurry. It can set you back for years if you do not rectify the situation in crutin. This year we are going to pay the price for it. It will cost us a least a couple of games that we otherwise would of won handidly in past years.

Exactly my point . You can have all world talent but you still have to coach them up, This idea that anyone can be successful with talent is very objective. 

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think J.B. Grimes may help with some of the panning out...

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Exactly my point . You can have all world talent but you still have to coach them up, This idea that anyone can be successful with talent is very objective. 

Is there any career (veteran) coach at the FBS D1 level that doesn't have the ability to "coach them up"?  I tend to think coaches that can't do that don't become career (veteran) FBS D1 coaches. Instead, they sell insurance or something...

2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

But shouldn’t the talent be enough ? These are blue chippers 

9 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

JB Grimes lack of recruiting is one of the reasons we are in this mess. Herb Hand while he has a great personality and good twitter fingers turned out to be completely overrated when it came to recruiting. I thought he would be a rock star on the trail with his larger than life personality. NOPE. Gus has to get out of his own way. He has a lot of potential to take us where we all want to be and where we want to go. He makes great hires on defense because he goes out of his comfort zone and does not just hire people he previously worked with. On the offensive side of the ball he just makes the easiest hire possible. No imagination whatsoever. There is in no way shape or form 2014 we should of been 8-5. That is the year I get most upset and disappointed at him about. 2015 and 16 is his fault to because of the misses at QB but at least I did not expect great success from those teams like I did 2014.

Just now, DAG said:

But shouldn’t the talent be enough ? These are blue chippers 

Even the best high school talent needs good coaching at the next level.  The game is still football but it ain't the same. Every player that they line up against is about like the best player they ever lined up against in high school.  Kids still need to be taught. And isn't teaching what coaching is?

3 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Is there any career (veteran) coach at the FBS D1 level that doesn't have the ability to "coach them up"?  I tend to think coaches that can't do that don't become career (veteran) FBS D1 coaches. Instead, they sell insurance or something...

Ever heard of Ron Zook? Great recruiter , terrible coach. Now a position coach for the packers. 

Just now, CleCoTiger said:

Even the best high school talent needs good coaching at the next level.  The game is still football but it ain't the same. Every player that they line up against is about like the best player they ever lined up against in high school.  Kids still need to be taught. And isn't teaching what coaching is?

Funny because you adamantly swear NS is only successful because of the players he stock piled, yet most, if not all of them play discipline football. So what were you saying again?

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Ever heard of Ron Zook? Great recruiter , terrible coach. Now a position coach for the packers. 

Zook was a terrible HEAD coach. 

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

Zook was a terrible HEAD coach. 

Umm yes but he had AWESOME talent. Again my point. Talent alone doesn’t win you a damn thing.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Funny because you adamantly swear NS is only successful because of the players he stock piled, yet most, if not all of them play discipline football. So what were you saying again?

I say you are FOS.  You are not worth the time, dude.

Archived