Gus is an average coach

AUIH1

On 4/21/2018 at 12:24 PM, ClaytonAU said:

I feel the same way. 

I have to disagree in a big way.  OL will be as good or better.  QB will be better.  They have the horses at RB to fill the losses easily.  Defense will be just as good if not better than last year.  They won the SEC, beat OK in a playoff game on the road, and came damn close to beating Bama in the NC game with a FRESHMAN QB.  Let that sink in for a minute.  A freshman QB.  That ain't catching lightning in a bottle.  That is a well coached team in all phases of the game that is stocking up on a ton of talent.  Kirby will have to fall down and hit his head to take a step back this year.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

The problem is...who is going to turn them in?  Ga Tech is so irrelevant that they don't even recruit or go up against the same players.  The media in Georgia are all in for UGA.  There will not be any investigating or looking into things from any source inside this state.  The only way Kirby gets turned in will be from another school in the SEC and Kirby has everyone in the state on his side.  You won't see any negative slant in any newspapers or any evening news.  Auburn on the other hand has every media outlet just waiting to write anything in a negative light towards us.  It is VERY easy for Kirby to set up the same structure and foundation in Georgia that Saban has in Alabama and there isn't an Auburn down the road in state to keep them in check.

Oh trust me, Ga Tech would chomp at the bit to find dirt on thUga.  Not saying it would be them though.

Point being, Saban hasn't even had to hide what they've done over the years.  The stupid players themselves post the offenses on social media, etc.  "Investigative journalists" (which, I admit, I can't stand either) have posted hard evidence on their respective sites.  Other media (bammer friendly) have unwittingly posted evidence by ads or stories they've run.  Emmert is so protective of Saban, these entities have gotten careless because there is no fear.

My feeling, hope even, is that KS will continue to be careless not realizing he doesn't have the same blanket of protection that Emmert + the REC provided at his former place of employment.

Sure, I can be dead wrong, but a man can dream can't he?

34 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I have to disagree in a big way.  OL will be as good or better.  QB will be better.  They have the horses at RB to fill the losses easily.  Defense will be just as good if not better than last year.  They won the SEC, beat OK in a playoff game on the road, and came damn close to beating Bama in the NC game with a FRESHMAN QB.  Let that sink in for a minute.  A freshman QB.  That ain't catching lightning in a bottle.  That is a well coached team in all phases of the game that is stocking up on a ton of talent.  Kirby will have to fall down and hit his head to take a step back this year.

I’m shocked you disagree. 

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Now ya gotta admit that almost nobody , including the AU players,  thought this game was important or took it seriously......until after it was over and lost.   

Me?  I was upset about the game before it was played.   Seeing and reading the comments from some players and many fans about the bowl game in general ...and UCF in particular....it was not hard to see that AU was going to lose that game.   

I will say the better players clearly were thinking towards the NFL. My issue is this. When a team calls you out like the UCF did, you need to have some pride within yourself. That is what is pathetic to me. You have a guy calling you out and saying y’all haven’t seen anything like them when you beat two teams who played for the NC. That should’ve been an alert right there. 

My biggest issue.... is that we have stroked this topic into a 7 page discussion - without a single original thought posted in it.   I hate the off season.  Soooo long between spring game and fall practice.   

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I’m shocked you disagree. 

Just not understanding where you think UGA takes a step backwards.  Can you explain why you feel this will take place?

17 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Just not understanding where you think UGA takes a step backwards.  Can you explain why you feel this will take place?

1. It is absolutely hard to get back national championship standards, back to back years.

2. They loss two huge playmakers in the back field

3. They loss, IMO their biggest strength in defense, their LB core. Two graduating and smith entering the draft as an underclass man.

They have talent , but it won’t be nearly experiences. Also , it is going to be interesting to see how they handle being the king of the hill in the SEC east with everyone coming at their heads. Being the favorite is hardly a walk in the park, even if Alabama makes it look easy.

also think the East will be a lot more competitive 

19 hours ago, corchjay said:

Dag I’m not disagreeing with you but when your top 50 players on your squad is not just a little better but a lot better in talent it’s hard to lose.  If Gus or any other coach had the same talent they would be right there.  Not sayin as good but definitely wouldn’t be far behind.  

19 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Bingo!  $abear is the coach he is at bammer because he basically gets to play by a different set of rules -- plus Emmert gives him a hall pass whenever he asks for one also -- and is simply loaded at just about every position. When people look at four and five star recruits on the two deep in FBS D1 football, there is bammer and then there is everyone else.  UGA under Smart this past recruiting season was one of the few I have seen that have competed on an even playing field with bammer and $abear.  Last one? Hugh Freeze, and we know how that turned out.

$abear is a pretty average game day coach. He just has talent stockpiled all up and down through the depth chart.

It's nice to see a little acumen on this cretin infested board from time to time.

I'm sure this information has been debated to a fault but there is an exhausting lack of perspective on this board.

malzahn v saban. jpeg.jpg

...yet the lesser experienced of the two is now 2-3 head to head with inferior (collective) talent.  

An honest observation of their most recent encounter would be that this collective talent gap has been reduced significantly and that the experience gap certainly does not appear to be 4 to 1.

No rational person would debate that inexperience lends at times to foolish decisions, but experience is and should be our greatest teacher. 

I think I heard someone else put it this way. "The future is bright."

That seems to be the only proper conclusion. WDE

6 minutes ago, chickendale said:

It's nice to see a little acumen on this cretin infested board from time to time.

I'm sure this information has been debated to a fault but there is an exhausting lack of perspective on this board.

...yet the lesser experienced of the two is now 2-3 head to head with inferior (collective) talent.  

An honest observation of their most recent encounter would be that this collective talent gap has been reduced significantly and that the experience gap certainly does not appear to be 4 to 1.

No rational person would debate that inexperience lends at times to foolish decisions, but experience is and should be our greatest teacher. 

Haha who the heck is this guy? 

It’s very hard to understand how yr after yr we have questions on the O side.  The jekle and hyde of the offensive performance is hard to understand.  While we have improved coaches, recruiting, and play on the defensive side, we continually have issues on the O.  And we have an offensive guru as a HC.  Baffling.  Yes some of you will throw out the O numbers from last yr and yet many of us are unsure what kind of team we will have this fall because of the O.  

RBs?  Asa should be a good get but how does UGA get the caliber of RBs they get yr after yr?  We are a run first offense but can’t get the tops backs to come.  Why?  I want to get the top recruits on the oline like RG is able to bring in on the D side.  I really hope we get a top 5 class this yr and get quality where we need.  But we seem to have much more success recruiting D then O and that’s on Gus.  Is Kirby a better coach?  I don’t know but he is making sure we don’t out recruit them in Ga.

9 minutes ago, chickendale said:

I will add some perspective 

2-3 against bama

2-4 against UGA 

2-3 against LSU

Record vs top 10: 6-9

record vs top 25:  15-14

Bowl record: 1-4

SEC record: 26-16

overall AU record: 45-22

These are just numbers for perspective .

Take them how you want them from a lowly cretin. 

36 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

It’s very hard to understand how yr after yr we have questions on the O side.  The jekle and hyde of the offensive performance is hard to understand.  While we have improved coaches, recruiting, and play on the defensive side, we continually have issues on the O.  And we have an offensive guru as a HC.  Baffling.  Yes some of you will throw out the O numbers from last yr and yet many of us are unsure what kind of team we will have this fall because of the O.  

RBs?  Asa should be a good get but how does UGA get the caliber of RBs they get yr after yr?  We are a run first offense but can’t get the tops backs to come.  Why?  I want to get the top recruits on the oline like RG is able to bring in on the D side.  I really hope we get a top 5 class this yr and get quality where we need.  But we seem to have much more success recruiting D then O and that’s on Gus.  Is Kirby a better coach?  I don’t know but he is making sure we don’t out recruit them in Ga.

What are you talking about?  Our entire 2 deep on OL is mid to high 4 stars with 5 star Ashley.  Oh wait my bad Harrell wasn’t a 4 star so maybe I’m wrong on the entire 2 deep.  Asa was what the number 6 back in his class and chose AU over Bama and everyone else.  Kerryon  was a 5 star on most sites.  Tre Mason 4 star.  Jovon was a 5 star.  Everyone needs to stop with the whimpering and complaining about every detail.  Our recruiting has never been better.  Our offensive numbers have never been better.  

Bamas offense was the highest scoring in the conference last year.  What happened when they played a good defense.  Lost 26-14!!!  UGA was steam rolling their pansy schedule what happened when they played a good defense.  Lost 40 -17.  The thing is if you are playing top defenses and you put up 24-30 pts you have to be in at least a position to win a close one at worst.  UGA got a mulligan for their game plan and we played poorly with the early turnover in the red zone with a chance to go up 10-0 or 14-0.  Auburn hasn’t and probably never will be a team that wins 11 games a year for multiple years.  The schedule is just to tough.  Bama LSU and UGA every year.  And history it was bama UGA Florida and Tennessee.  

We are about 50 percent on UGA Bama LSU and Florida since Dye came to AU.  We have a winning record against Tennessee.  As I’ve mentioned before what is there to complain so much about?  We have a respectful coach, although has some weird paranoia’s but a good man it seems and treats the players excellent.  Stop looking across the state and trying to match what they do.  We aren’t them and I don’t want to be them.  Sure I’d take the dominance they’ve had the past 10 years but I don’t like the attitude or entitlement they have.  They are in for a very rude awakening in the near future and last recruiting cycle although a great class is showing signs of chinks in the armor.  

Mom2kid this wasn’t meant as disrespectful and most of your post I love just so sick of the constant coach bashing.  There was no one harder on Gus then me after LSU last year and UGA the year before.  But what about the other 9 or 10 games where he out coached who many on this board say are better coaches?

Also want to point out Kerryon and Tre were SEC players of the year.  Did Chubb or Sony win any?  So who has superior running backs????  For every back UGA brings up we can bring a counter that was better. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I will add some perspective 

2-3 against bama

2-4 against UGA 

2-3 against LSU

Record vs top 10: 6-9

record vs top 25:  15-14

Bowl record: 1-4

SEC record: 26-16

overall AU record: 45-22

These are just numbers for perspective .

Take them how you want them from a lowly cretin. 

The LSU record is probably the one that annoys me the most. That and the bowl record. LSU have not been world beaters as of late and I'm tired of superior Auburn teams struggling so much with inferior LSU teams.

disgusted.gif

12 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Also want to point out Kerryon and Tre were SEC players of the year.  Did Chubb or Sony win any?  So who has superior running backs????  For every back UGA brings up we can bring a counter that was better. 

Coach i’m not at all offended by your reply to my post.  I hope we have a great yr w none of those unexplicable hiccups.  And come May 1 we may have some good recruiting news to get momentum.  Let’s see how our RBs and Oline perform this yr.  They should be at min satisfactory.  I just point out that it seems every yr we have the most concerns on the O side and that shoyldn’t be with an O HC.  

19 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Bamas offense was the highest scoring in the conference last year.  What happened when they played a good defense.  Lost 26-14!!!  UGA was steam rolling their pansy schedule what happened when they played a good defense.  Lost 40 -17.

Are you sure about that?..........on this forum, it's like those games never happened........I appreciate the reminder.  

8 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

I just point out that it seems every yr we have the most concerns on the O side and that shoyldn’t be with an O HC.  

I agree completely.  We always talk about the OL, which receivers will step up, how the RB will be, if we will utilize a TE, can we throw intermediately, as well as all the QB talk.  Defensively, it always seems we have a plan for continuing continuity As well as who is ready to take the next step. The defensive players seem to be experienced and really subscribe to the "next man up" thought process. Offensively it seems we always struggle if plan A is a bust.

36 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The LSU record is probably the one that annoys me the most. That and the bowl record. LSU have not been world beaters as of late and I'm tired of superior Auburn teams struggling so much with inferior LSU teams.

disgusted.gif

Heck LSU?! Besides last year UGA has been above average at best. 

57 minutes ago, corchjay said:

What are you talking about?  Our entire 2 deep on OL is mid to high 4 stars with 5 star Ashley.  Oh wait my bad Harrell wasn’t a 4 star so maybe I’m wrong on the entire 2 deep.  Asa was what the number 6 back in his class and chose AU over Bama and everyone else.  Kerryon  was a 5 star on most sites.  Tre Mason 4 star.  Jovon was a 5 star.  Everyone needs to stop with the whimpering and complaining about every detail.  Our recruiting has never been better.  Our offensive numbers have never been better.  

Bamas offense was the highest scoring in the conference last year.  What happened when they played a good defense.  Lost 26-14!!!  UGA was steam rolling their pansy schedule what happened when they played a good defense.  Lost 40 -17.  The thing is if you are playing top defenses and you put up 24-30 pts you have to be in at least a position to win a close one at worst.  UGA got a mulligan for their game plan and we played poorly with the early turnover in the red zone with a chance to go up 10-0 or 14-0.  Auburn hasn’t and probably never will be a team that wins 11 games a year for multiple years.  The schedule is just to tough.  Bama LSU and UGA every year.  And history it was bama UGA Florida and Tennessee.  

We are about 50 percent on UGA Bama LSU and Florida since Dye came to AU.  We have a winning record against Tennessee.  As I’ve mentioned before what is there to complain so much about?  We have a respectful coach, although has some weird paranoia’s but a good man it seems and treats the players excellent.  Stop looking across the state and trying to match what they do.  We aren’t them and I don’t want to be them.  Sure I’d take the dominance they’ve had the past 10 years but I don’t like the attitude or entitlement they have.  They are in for a very rude awakening in the near future and last recruiting cycle although a great class is showing signs of chinks in the armor.  

Mom2kid this wasn’t meant as disrespectful and most of your post I love just so sick of the constant coach bashing.  There was no one harder on Gus then me after LSU last year and UGA the year before.  But what about the other 9 or 10 games where he out coached who many on this board say are better coaches?

So what I got from this post is we absolutely have the talent to compete with anyone, correct? Are we all on the same page then?

edit: screw compete, BEAT. I am sick of hearing how much talent this team or this team has. We need to overcome adversity and turn the corner.

Here’s one guy’s perspective that gives insight into the Gus vs Nick debate. Now, development is part of it but recruiting the sheer numbers of elite players is the first step. How NS has been able to accomplish this has been discussed at length. For the record: UA 8, AU 3 (UGA 5 also). 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23201964/2018-nfl-draft-jeff-legwold-ranking-top-100-prospects-picks

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

So what I got from this post is we absolutely have the talent to compete with anyone, correct? Are we all on the same page then?

edit: screw compete, BEAT. I am sick of hearing how much talent this team or this team has. We need to overcome adversity and turn the corner.

Last year was easily one of the best rosters Auburn has had in a decade. Wasted by a choke job in the SECCG

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Last year was easily one of the best rosters Auburn has had in a decade. Wasted by a choke job in the SECCG

The choke job was at LSU

Archived