AUIH1

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The choke job was at LSU

the curse at red stick continues.

58 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

Coach i’m not at all offended by your reply to my post.  I hope we have a great yr w none of those unexplicable hiccups.  And come May 1 we may have some good recruiting news to get momentum.  Let’s see how our RBs and Oline perform this yr.  They should be at min satisfactory.  I just point out that it seems every yr we have the most concerns on the O side and that shoyldn’t be with an O HC.  

That is a valid concern TBH. One that I am waiting on to be resolved. We got to get consistent on offense. Every 1 year out of 3 is not going to cut it against the quality teams.

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The choke job was at LSU

f6222ea1aec0dcba748217cf9c58dc22.jpg

There's a fix for this...

7 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

The problem is...who is going to turn them in?  Ga Tech is so irrelevant that they don't even recruit or go up against the same players.  The media in Georgia are all in for UGA.  There will not be any investigating or looking into things from any source inside this state.  The only way Kirby gets turned in will be from another school in the SEC and Kirby has everyone in the state on his side.  You won't see any negative slant in any newspapers or any evening news.  Auburn on the other hand has every media outlet just waiting to write anything in a negative light towards us.  It is VERY easy for Kirby to set up the same structure and foundation in Georgia that Saban has in Alabama and there isn't an Auburn down the road in state to keep them in check.

Why wouldn't they? UGA fans love to read negative things about Auburn. UA fans love to read negative things about Auburn. Look at all the discussions on this board. The ones that are length are are about how much our own fans think we suck at a position, or a facility, or at coaching, etc etc

Media writings are a reflection of this board.

On April 20, 2018 at 2:00 PM, AUIH1 said:

Win an SECCG in 2018 or 2019.

Gus caught lighting in a bottle twice in 2013.  Do it without miracles.

wde

Hope you get well soon! God be with you.

Auburn didn't just catch lightening in the bottle in 2013. If not for the touchdowns scored and defensive efforts prior to those two amazing plays by our players on the field who were prepared to play we wouldn't have made it to within 1:23 of winning the National Title against a team no one gave us a snowballs chance in hell of beating. Gus is a young head coach in terms of Division 1 College Football. As pissed as I still am about Clemson 2016 and UGA 2015 and 2016 I can give the man props for the good things that Auburn has accomplished in the successful years. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

So what I got from this post is we absolutely have the talent to compete with anyone, correct? Are we all on the same page then?

edit: screw compete, BEAT. I am sick of hearing how much talent this team or this team has. We need to overcome adversity and turn the corner.

The reference was about recruiting in general.  Better then every since recruiting services.  The problem is LSU and Bama also recruited better each year for the most part.  Talent is on par the first 22 yes.  But the next 22 there is a drop off and the 10-15 after that aren’t even remotely close to the same as LSU and Bama were.  LSU has come back to the pack UGA appears to be taking their place.

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

The reference was about recruiting in general.  Better then every since recruiting services.  The problem is LSU and Bama also recruited better each year for the most part.  Talent is on par the first 22 yes.  But the next 22 there is a drop off and the 10-15 after that aren’t even remotely close to the same as LSU and Bama were.  LSU has come back to the pack UGA appears to be taking their place.

Well that is not going to change anytime soon. We either deal with it and fight adversity or we be okay with beating the teams we are SUPPOSED to beat. SEC teams always recruit at a high level. Texas A&M is going to be another team who actually will start winning with their talent. It’s either we accept we have the talent to compete and win or we just settle for dealing. I just don’t understand the idea of saying we beat UGA and Bama when they faced a real defense , but then in the same breathe when we lose , say we are facing better talent. Which is it? The key issue is we need consistency. I believe if we find consistency the fan base over all will be happy but until that comes, there will always be strife. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree completely.  We always talk about the OL, which receivers will step up, how the RB will be, if we will utilize a TE, can we throw intermediately, as well as all the QB talk.  Defensively, it always seems we have a plan for continuing continuity As well as who is ready to take the next step. The defensive players seem to be experienced and really subscribe to the "next man up" thought process. Offensively it seems we always struggle if plan A is a bust.

I agree decisions on personnel need to be made before game 1 and repped for a couple weeks to get game ready.  But generally speaking (yes I know not always the case) offense is more execution driven and defense more effort driven given that the player has an understanding of the playbook.  Must remember offensive lineman are about the same where ever from ththe country so a good o-lineman from Utah is about the same as one from Mississippi but you take a good d-lineman from Utah compared to a good d-lineman from Alabama and the talent isn’t close.  The best DE and DTs come from the south east so teams in this conference are going to look bad at times offensively just because of the talent on the other side of the ball.  That’s just the way it is.  Ask Chip Kelley how he likes going up against SEC defensive fronts....

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well that is not going to change anytime soon. We either deal with it and fight adversity or we be okay with beating the teams we are SUPPOSED to beat. SEC teams always recruit at a high level. Texas A&M is going to be another team who actually will start winning with their talent. It’s either we accept we have the talent to compete and win or we just settle for dealing. I just don’t understand the idea of saying we beat UGA and Bama when they faced a real defense , but then in the same breathe when we lose , say we are facing better talent. Which is it? The key issue is we need consistency. I believe if we find consistency the fan base over all will be happy but until that comes, there will always be strife. 

We are about 5th on the recruiting rung in the conference talent wise.  Some years we exceed 5th in standings some we finish below.  That is our consistency.  Luckily for me I see things as as getting better.  Gus has been around the program for almost 10 years so there is probably some fatigue there.  

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

We are about 5th on the recruiting rung in the conference talent wise.  Some years we exceed 5th in standings some we finish below.  That is our consistency.  Luckily for me I see things as as getting better.  Gus has been around the program for almost 10 years so there is probably some fatigue there.  

Well two things . 1. Alabama is normally ahead of the curve and now we have Georgia but realistically there is not a huge separation between teams 3-5. There really isn’t. Most of the teams we play who are quality , we are around, if not on the same level talent wise . I can see wanting to compete against Alabama because they are on another level, but these other teams...we should have losing records to. Prior to last year UGA was not all that. LSU has been shaky as of late too. We have done decently well against the aggies. Bowl games...we have to start winning those games. Out of conference games..we have to start winning those games. That is what separates the great vs the good teams. Beating Arkansas, miss state and ole miss is cool , but we got to turn the corner. We got to win these 50-50 games. You know losing to UGA in the championship game.. it sucks but UGA was a hell of a team. Hard to beat a great team twice in a row.  Losing to Clemson @ Clemson? Okay I can deal with that. They are a hell of a team. But losing to UCF? Losing to LSU? That stuff has to stop. That is what I mean by consistency. Yeah we beat UGA and Alabama at home. Then we lost against almost every quality team we played on the road. The talent we had on the roster last year was top notch . We could beat any team and match up with any team in the nation. If that wasn’t the case we wouldn’t have beaten both Alabama and Georgia.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well two things . 1. Alabama is normally ahead of the curve and now we have Georgia but realistically there is not a huge separation between teams 3-5. There really isn’t. Most of the teams we play who are quality , we are around, if not on the same level talent wise . I can see wanting to compete against Alabama because they are on another level, but these other teams...we should have losing records to. Prior to last year UGA was not all that. LSU has been shaky as of late too. We have done decently well against the aggies. Bowl games...we have to start winning those games. Out of conference games..we have to start winning those games. That is what separates the great vs the good teams. Beating Arkansas, miss state and ole miss is cool , but we got to turn the corner. We got to win these 50-50 games. You know losing to UGA in the championship game.. it sucks but UGA was a hell of a team. Hard to beat a great team twice in a row. But losing to UCF? Losing to LSU? That stuff has to stop. That is what I mean by consistency. Yeah we beat UGA and Alabama at home. Then we lost against almost every quality team we played on the road. The talent we had on the roster last year was top notch . We could beat any team and match up with any team in the nation. If that wasn’t the case we wouldn’t have beaten both Alabama and Georgia.

Bama is on another level talent wise and had damn good coaches as well.  UGA is disappointing because 2 of the 4 losses I clearly think we had the better team but lost for whatever reason.  Injuries and whatnot.  LSU for all that was said negative about Les he was a master at motivating and game planning.  This past year the LSU game was the nightmare should have never lost.  But those are gonna happen.  They happen to us.  They happen to every team.

If people, fans of our team, can’t see what happened in the UCF game from the lead up and body language in the game then they need their eyes checked.  Had absolutely zero to do with coaching

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Bama is on another level talent wise and had damn good coaches as well.  UGA is disappointing because 2 of the 4 losses I clearly think we had the better team but lost for whatever reason.  Injuries and whatnot.  LSU for all that was said negative about Les he was a master at motivating and game planning.  This past year the LSU game was the nightmare should have never lost.  But those are gonna happen.  They happen to us.  They happen to every team.

If people, fans of our team, can’t see what happened in the UCF game from the lead up and body language in the game then they need their eyes checked.  Had absolutely zero to do with coaching

So this is where me and you differ. When it comes to quality opponents , a lot of it is going to reflect back to coaching . Yes every team has a let down. The problem is we have consistent let downs. That has to stop. If you have players out there who don’t have a chip on their shoulder then you bench them and play people who is going to give their all. See young guys are so concentrated on talent. Watch Alabama .

It doesn’t matter if they beat a team by 56. If you don’t give 100 percent effort, you will be benched . They don’t ever settle. Last year, UGA is getting pimped slapped, CKS lays the blame on himself. They come out with momentum in the second half. I am of the mindset, if you have a top ten squad , you should feel like you can beat any dang body across the field  from you .

And if you don’t feel that way, get off the field. Go on the bleachers and cheer. If we lose to a team , going 110 percent then ok cool. But I am not fine with all of these other excuses. Ultimately it is the coaches job to get the boys motivated, prepare and the best position to play. Now I am not going to lay it all on the coaches feet but to say they have zero accountability is crazy.

4 hours ago, chickendale said:

It's nice to see a little acumen on this cretin infested board from time to time.

I'm sure this information has been debated to a fault but there is an exhausting lack of perspective on this board.

malzahn v saban. jpeg.jpg

...yet the lesser experienced of the two is now 2-3 head to head with inferior (collective) talent.  

An honest observation of their most recent encounter would be that this collective talent gap has been reduced significantly and that the experience gap certainly does not appear to be 4 to 1.

No rational person would debate that inexperience lends at times to foolish decisions, but experience is and should be our greatest teacher. 

I think I heard someone else put it this way. "The future is bright."

That seems to be the only proper conclusion. WDE

I'm not sure that many Auburn fans have a real issue with how Gus has done head to head with Saban. At least I don't. As @DAG posted the overall SEC and bowl record is a truer picture of what the issues are. Gus is capable but he is still learning and he hasn't made it obvious that experience is his greatest teacher. He's experienced enough to not make foolish decisions any longer (see LSU second half game plan). 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

I'm not sure that many Auburn fans have a real issue with how Gus has done head to head with Saban. At least I don't. As @DAG posted the overall SEC and bowl record is a truer picture of what the issues are. Gus is capable but he is still learning and he hasn't made it obvious that experience is his greatest teacher. He's experienced enough to not make foolish decisions any longer (see LSU second half game plan). 

Thank you! I think Gus is a solid coach but we got to stop making excuses . I guess we will see game 1. Life is unfair . You aren’t going to always have the advantages. How are you going to deal with this adversity? I believe my alma mater can beat every dang team they face. Let’s get it.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thank you! I think Gus is a solid coach but we got to stop making excuses . I guess we will see game 1. Life is unfair . You aren’t going to always have the advantages. How are you going to deal with this adversity? I believe my alma mater can beat every dang team they face. Let’s get it.

A phrase I use all the time when one of the kids come up with some reason why they couldn't or didn't do something...winners find a way, losers find an excuse.

I believe the OP was just a fishing expedition to see what fish would take the bait, and I’ve been surprised so many got caught and fought hard to stay on this troller’s line! Post didn’t seem to be done in the Auburn spirit of forum decorum!!!

Let's just sum this up for real. Gus has got to stop doing stupid s$%^ that makes no freaking sense. You cannot do that which was the LSU game and other painful memories of doing stuff in games that make no sense then have 2 near flawless and perfect game plans for georgia and Bama. Like just be aggressive. It is painfully obvious once he goes in to tubbershell stuff like the lsu game happens.

EVERY time I start to truly believe in Gus....he craps the bed & completely breaks my heart by his stupidity. He is his own worst enemy. I don’t know what to make of Gus. I always thought if he just fixed our Defense we’d be national title contenders. Well, the defense is fixed & now he doesn’t know how to run an offense (2016 Clemson.) He doesn’t know how to finish a game (2017 LSU.) I don’t dislike him, but I don’t love him. I do think without a doubt he’s better than ole chizik though. 

7 hours ago, corchjay said:

I want to see us recruit with a much greater sense of urgency, especially top tier recruits. I’m tired of reading articles about how recruit so and so loved our “family vibe” and “almost” committed. Saban got knocked off his #1 class rating for one season last year by UGA, and he’s getting commitments left and right. We are currently 29th, with 4 commitments. Bama, UGA, and TAMU all have at lease twice that many. Last year we claimed struggles because of hot seat talk. Well, this year Gus has a long term extension and we are coming off of an SEC West championship. We should be getting commitments at an insane pace. In short, I’m ready to hear some recruits describe our coaches as relentless, the way they describe Saban, and Smart, and more recently, Pruitt. 

As results go, Malzahn is about on par with our average. I just often really don't enjoy watching our offense play. We gets results on the stat line, but we look and react like a backyard pick-up team too often. We too often are clearly unprepared to play games. We've been recruiting at a level I can't remember us sustaining in the past, but Kirby is making it tough in Georgia and the three stars are increasingly dotting our take. In my admittedly 100% uneducated fan opinion, I think Malzahn is a young coach playing with a veteran ego and we'll live or die on his system. We went double or nothing on the guy, so he's going to be here for years to come...and I suspect we just saw the most talent he'll ever put on one field. 

All the "what ifs" about the LSU game are pathetic...like listening to some 50 year old guy complaining about his life... if Peggy had not dumped him his junior year in college his life would have been so much better. 

All wrapped up in games we did not win, players who signed somewhere else and coaches we should have hired...envious of the neighbors....what a sad outlook.

On 4/20/2018 at 12:42 PM, AUIH1 said:

Gus has had one very good year (2013).  Followed by three below average years then one good year (2017) (except for the SECCG failure and the the bowl game failure which trends 2017 down a lot). I am said this before, and I am posting it again, I was on on the Gus Bus full force until Gus allowed UGA to abuse us in 2014. At that point Gus lost my trust as an AU HC,    I want Gus to be a very good coach for AU but I have serious doubts going back to UGA 2014 that he can regain my trust .  Regular season 2017 was a good starting point but Gus followed that up with the SECCG and the bowl game.  I am not a fan of Gus at all. 

wde

Trying to get the thread back on the topic from the OP.   AUIH1 list your coaches that are above average...  don’t just say a lot give names please

On 4/21/2018 at 11:08 AM, bigbird said:

Gus is in the period of growth that Saban was in and, IMO, has performed better against tougher teams than Saban did early in his career.  Are there things I wish Gus would do differently or learn quicker? Absolutely.  That said, I think he is growing albeit not as fast as many of us desire.

Contrary to what the caped crusaders think, there are a lot of this who share this honest and balanced assessment. Well said. 

I have an emerging theory that Gus has to make a mistake twice before he learns it, whereas it might only take another guy once; on the other hand, though, he seems to have several innate talents that most coaches won't- maybe can't- ever learn.  

As for the discussion about which coaches I'd take over Gus, I don't think I could name 5. 

Archived