alexava

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caddy is one of my favs as well.  He just knew how to tot the rock.  Not blazing speed but fast not shifty but sudden not powerful but broke many tackles.  A complete back in the very sense of the word.  

Great guy off the field as well. His Mom insisted on it!

He had to have the grades and behavior at Etowah High, or she would not let him play on Friday nights! Too bad more parents are not like her.

I bought his autographed rookie card wearing his Auburn University on amazon.com. I get my Auburn auto cards out often to reremember the old times. And caddy was pretty smooth  when he ran and I always watch those long runs with a big smile. He seemed to run with a different gait or style. Well he did to me. And last I heard he was a pretty good guy as well.

Only sports jersey I’ve ever had in my life..... Almost 30years old,  a #24 Auburn navy. Wife got it for me. Felt strange being a grown man wearing a kids jersey but like mentioned above he was a good kid too. 

A few years later Tuberville gave a walkon named Jonathan Vickers a scholarship and the jersey #24. His mom works with my mom so I gave her the jersey which hadn’t been moved from the closet since the 2004 sec championship game. 

Now I see adults wearing jerseys all the time. 

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

Only sports jersey I’ve ever had in my life..... Almost 30years old,  a #24 Auburn navy. Wife got it for me. Felt strange being a grown man wearing a kids jersey but like mentioned above he was a good kid too. 

A few years later Tuberville gave a walkon named Jonathan Vickers a scholarship and the jersey #24. His mom works with my mom so I gave her the jersey which hadn’t been moved from the closet since the 2004 sec championship game. 

Now I see adults wearing jerseys all the time. 

Although I'm too old to do so I think it's fine at a game. Not sure I agree with the 365 day a year jersey wearing that you see at any local Walmart, hamburger joint or even church which is an entirely other category of fan. Back on point Caddy was thrill to watch because he was one of those rare backs that could take it to the house on just about any play. I know theoretically that could happen any play in a game but sometimes there is a back who makes fans sit on the edge of their seat. Cadillac was one of those backs. 

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Although I'm too old to do so I think it's fine at a game. Not sure I agree with the 365 day a year jersey wearing that you see at any local Walmart, hamburger joint or even church which is an entirely other category of fan. Back on point Caddy was thrill to watch because he was one of those rare backs that could take it to the house on just about any play. I know theoretically that could happen any play in a game but sometimes there is a back who makes fans sit on the edge of their seat. Cadillac was one of those backs. 

I only wore it on game weekend. 

Caddy had no weakness. Some of his greatest runs went for 2 yards. But on 3rd and 1 getting hit two yards deep because the defense knew he was getting it. He was under 200 pounds for most his college days. 

Those were great days. I wish we Gus had hired Eddie Gran to coach our RB's. We signed a lot of big and strong RB's when coach Gran was on our staff.

51 minutes ago, alexava said:

He was under 200 pounds for most his college days. 

Well that can't be...I've heard many times here that you have to be over 200 to be an every down back.

I might be in the minority, and that's okay, but I though Caddy was overrated and Ronnie was, by far, the more complete back. 

Either way, they complemented each other nicely and we're interchanged and utilized very effectively.  

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I might be in the minority, and that's okay, but I though Caddy was overrated and Ronnie was, by far, the more complete back. 

Either way, they complemented each other nicely and we're interchanged and utilized very effectively.  

Ronnie was heavier, more straightforward speed (which rarely matters) besides that caddy was better in every other aspect. 25-30 pounds less and ran better inside with MORE POWER. With all that said we haven’t had one as good as Ronnie since they left. I’ll take another RB any chance I get. I thought Jovon Robinson could have been his clone but oh well. 

Cadillac and Ronnie made me fall in love with football and the Running Back position. I don't know if we'll ever see a duo like those two again.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I loved Caddy but agree with this and will go a step further to say that I thought Kenny Irons was just as good as Caddy. I’ll also say that, having the privilege of being in school with Bo and Fullwood at AU (and watching James Brooks and Joe Cribbs growing up), I don’t think Caddy cracks top 5 AU RB. Nonetheless, he was a great player and represented Auburn with tremendous class. War damn Cadillac!

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Ronnie had fumble problems in earlier games that kept him out of the lineup. imo they are fairly equal as a runner and receiver out of the backfield. I will say Caddy had a attitude that we are just going to win.......jmo

25 minutes ago, fredst said:

I loved Caddy but agree with this and will go a step further to say that I thought Kenny Irons was just as good as Caddy. I’ll also say that, having the privilege of being in school with Bo and Fullwood at AU (and watching James Brooks and Joe Cribbs growing up), I don’t think Caddy cracks top 5 AU RB. Nonetheless, he was a great player and represented Auburn with tremendous class. War damn Cadillac!

I liked Kenny a lot too. But he was no caddy. 

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Ronnie had fumble problems in earlier games that kept him out of the lineup. imo they are fairly equal as a runner and receiver out of the backfield. I will say Caddy had a attitude that we arer just going to win.......jmo

I don’t think Ronnie would have been as good as he was without the dynamic of the competition and comradery. He didn’t raise his game till caddy got hurt in the uf game. Then there was no drop off. When they toted caddy off the field I thought our season was over. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t think Ronnie would have been as good as he was without the dynamic of the competition and comradery. He didn’t raise his game till caddy got hurt in the uf game. Then there was no drop off. When they toted caddy off the field I thought our season was over. 

I remember that game like yesterday when Caddy got hurt I was scared to death cause Ronnie was in the game and he would fumble. Well he proved me very wrong that game he came thru like a champ

From the late 80's till now, Kenny was/is my favorite RB by far. He ran with pure ferocity and hit the hole harder than any other we've had.

The 2004 National Champions!

Kenny Irons was another that I loved to watch run the rock. 

Archived