alexava

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

From the late 80's till now, Kenny was/is my favorite RB by far. He ran with pure ferocity and hit the hole harder than any other we've had.

Kenny reminded me of James Brooks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Ronnie had fumble problems in earlier games that kept him out of the lineup. imo they are fairly equal as a runner and receiver out of the backfield. I will say Caddy had a attitude that we are just going to win.......jmo

Caddy had the heart of a champion.  That’s what made him who he was.  Like someone described his 2 yard run on 3 and 1 might be his best runs.  

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

I might be in the minority, and that's okay, but I though Caddy was overrated and Ronnie was, by far, the more complete back. 

Either way, they complemented each other nicely and we're interchanged and utilized very effectively.  

Wow, rain on parades much? Lol

Maybe start another thread on Ronnie Brown?

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I remember that game like yesterday when Caddy got hurt I was scared to death cause Ronnie was in the game and he would fumble. Well he proved me very wrong that game he came thru like a champ

I thought we were sunk but within a couple of plays of them carting Caddy off Ronnie jumped through a tiny hole and about took it to the house (maybe he did, can’t remember for sure). No idea how we lost that game (damn Damon Duvall, smh).

Cadillac's balance was unlike any other AU RB we've seen since his time IMO. This guy was impossible to take down

4 hours ago, fredst said:

I thought we were sunk but within a couple of plays of them carting Caddy off Ronnie jumped through a tiny hole and about took it to the house (maybe he did, can’t remember for sure). No idea how we lost that game (damn Damon Duvall, smh).

chip shot if I remember correctly

Duval almost hit the Center in the head it was so low. That guy was completely unreliable. He could make anything, regardless of distance or pressure, or miss anything.

As for the Cadillac/Ronnie stuff, I was in school with them. Cadillac was the more important guy on those teams. Size notwithstanding, Cadillac was the hammer of the two. He was the guy who could give you 20-25 carries every game and grind out first down after first down. He was obviously explosive, but he was the power back of the two guys. Ronnie, with a few notable exceptional runs, was more of a finesse back. He didn't peak until he was featured as a receiving threat out of the backfield. GREAT hands. Neither guy could do what the other guy did. It was a perfect combination.

Much like Bo, I will always be convinced that Cadillac was going to be a 1,000-yard back year on year on year without the injuries. He was just SO good in the hole and SO tough and much faster than people think (he was faster than Kenny Irons by a full step). He was a great pass protector and had good hands, which is how he stuck in the NFL after all the knee surgeries. A character guy from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet. 

We're all biased by our own era and experience, but I'll always LOVE Cadillac Williams. He was the heart and soul of the most complete team I've ever watched.

Caddy, Ronnie Brown, Rudi Johnson and Kenny Irons were all better backs than what we have had since 2006.  Tre Mason was a workhorse who may have have been run to the point of dementia and deserves credit for taking the punishment that he gave to AU as well.  

wde

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Caddy, Ronnie Brown, Rudi Johnson and Kenny Irons were all better backs than what we have had since 2006.  Tre Mason was a workhorse who may have have been run to the point of dementia and deserves credit for taking the punishment that he gave to AU as well.  

wde

Hey hey don't forget about Ben Tate! 2nd rd draft pick!

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Tate gave his all for AU and I respect him for that, but he is not in the same discussion.

wde

On 4/26/2018 at 2:22 PM, Tiger said:

I was never a big fan. he had four solid years(then a few in nfl too)  but was never special to me. I took some flack about my feelings on Tate. Dyer too. Even as well as he did in 2010 i just didn't see the value in his abilities and i think i was right.

Carnell ran like every carry was the last of his career, and that attitude probably helped shorten his career. He was a true leader at the RB position, never clearer than when  he broke his collarbone vs Bama and the whole team went in the toilet. He also gave AU a huge recruiting boost when everyone in the state had him pegged as going to Bama since his 10th grade year. One of my all time favorites.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:15 PM, alexava said:

I was never a big fan. he had four solid years(then a few in nfl too)  but was never special to me. I took some flack about my feelings on Tate. Dyer too. Even as well as he did in 2010 i just didn't see the value in his abilities and i think i was right.

On 4/26/2018 at 3:25 PM, AUIH1 said:

Tate gave his all for AU and I respect him for that, but he is not in the same discussion.

wde

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but...

- 5th in total rushing yards in AU history

- 8th most rushing yards in a single season in AU history

- 8th most rushing TDs in AU history

That is pretty dang good IMO. And don't get me wrong, I was a guy who felt other RBs should have been getting more carries while Tate was around but, like in the case of Nick Marshall, I did not appreciate how good he was until he left.

20 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but...

- 5th in total rushing yards in AU history

- 8th most rushing yards in a single season in AU history

- 8th most rushing TDs in AU history

That is pretty dang good IMO. And don't get me wrong, I was a guy who felt other RBs should have been getting more carries while Tate was around but, like in the case of Nick Marshall, I did not appreciate how good he was until he left.

I was a big Ben Tate fan. He was a damned good running back and would have had a hell of an NFL career if not for injuries. I don't understand why people don't give him more respect. I remember at the time that people thought Mario Fannin should be taking his carries. Other than getting a lot of yards and touchdowns and being good enough at helping out in pass pro and not fumbling much, I'm not sure what people want from a running back? Dude was a freaking beast by any measure. 

I'll never get tired of how weird "RBU" fans are about who they decide they like. It never seems to have much to do with production. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I was a big Ben Tate fan. He was a damned good running back and would have had a hell of an NFL career if not for injuries. I don't understand why people don't give him more respect. I remember at the time that people thought Mario Fannin should be taking his carries. Other than getting a lot of yards and touchdowns and being good enough at helping out in pass pro and not fumbling much, I'm not sure what people want from a running back? Dude was a freaking beast by any measure. 

I'll never get tired of how weird "RBU" fans are about who they decide they like. It never seems to have much to do with production. 

Oh yeah, I was part of the Fannin crowd and I will be the first to admit I was wrong about that (ugh the fumbles!!!). But Tate is in the top 8 of the main AU RB stats. Of all the guys who played RB at AU that is one hell of an accomplishment -- and he wasn't some 4 year starter padding stats and he also had the misfortune of enduring a Tony Franklin led offense for his junior year.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Oh yeah, I was part of the Fannin crowd and I will be the first to admit I was wrong about that (ugh the fumbles!!!). But Tate is in the top 8 of the main AU RB stats. Of all the guys who played RB at AU that is one hell of an accomplishment -- and he wasn't some 4 year starter padding stats and he also had the misfortune of enduring a Tony Franklin led offense for his junior year.

Yep. And his starting LT and center in '07 were true freshmen, IIRC.

Just imagine if he had had 2 years under Gus. :blink:

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I was a big Ben Tate fan

Same. He didn’t get much love from anybody including the media and scouts though. 

Tate did what he did with no flash. He produced, I can’t argue with that or stats. I never thought he would produce in the nfl either. I don’t mind being wrong. He wasn’t very modest then when he dunked the ball over the crossbar in the bowl game his last game nearly causing us to lose and followed that up with a fumble I pretty much wrote him off. 

On 4/22/2018 at 2:02 PM, alexava said:

Only sports jersey I’ve ever had in my life..... Almost 30years old,  a #24 Auburn navy. Wife got it for me. Felt strange being a grown man wearing a kids jersey but like mentioned above he was a good kid too. 

A few years later Tuberville gave a walkon named Jonathan Vickers a scholarship and the jersey #24. His mom works with my mom so I gave her the jersey which hadn’t been moved from the closet since the 2004 sec championship game. 

Now I see adults wearing jerseys all the time. 

Wore my road white #24 jersey to the 2004 Ole Miss game in Oxford. Almost made it through the game and to the car without a comment. Rebel fan spots me walking out and yells “Hey Cadillac!”

On 4/23/2018 at 4:28 PM, mcgufcm said:

he was faster than Kenny Irons by a full step

You have that backwards. Compare Irons’ 74-yard run v LSU vs. Caddy’s 80-yard run v UA. Heck, Jeris McIntyre caught up to Caddy after blocking for him. Plus that was Caddy’s first carry of the game which means he was fresh. Irons was midway through the 3rd quarter.

No. I really don’t. Check their 40 times. Check their 10/20 splits. Basically identical splits, but Cadillac has the faster 40 and top speed. That tells you who is pulling away from whom. 

Cadillac was faster.  

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Carnell&l=Williams&i=7288

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Kenny&l=Irons&i=7690

Archived