2018 UMASS GT OT Jack Driscoll commits to AU!!! (4/25/18)

ellitor

30841947_498940943837489_461689648377233

Updated (04/25/18): Jack commits to AU!!!

Driscoll, a 6-foot-5, 294-pound offensive tackle started all 12 games at right tackle for UMass last season but also has experience playing left tackle and left guard. A redshirt sophomore in 2017, Driscoll will have two remaining years of eligibility at Auburn after graduating from UMass in three years.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/04/umass_grad_transfer_ol_jack_dr.html

After visiting Auburn, grad transfer OT considering Tigers

image.png

Edited by ellitor
  • Love 2

Would be curious to know how many 6' 5 OTs have been effective in the SEC? I understand arm length is a big factor with OTs and i would think taller OTs may have longer arms. Just wondering as well what kind of DEs he has played against  at UMASS versus the ones he would see at AU? :dunno:

Edited by Timeslider 6

15 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Would be curious to know how many 6' 5 OTs have been effective in the SEC? I understand arm length is a big factor with OTs and i would think taller OTs may have longer arms. Just wondering as well what kind of DEs he has played against  at UMASS versus the ones he would see at AU? :dunno:

He will undeniably be more help than leaving the scholarship slot unused and lost after the recruiting year turns over.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Obviously the quality DE's he faced will not compare to SEC DEs as SEC DEs are the best in college football.

As for length question:

Isaiah Wynn 1st team all-SEC at 6'2 playing all games for UGA last season at LT
Martinas Rankin 1st team all SEC in 2017 playing LT for Miss St. at 6'5
Jonah Williams 1st team all SEC in 2017 at 6'5. He has started every game in his college career at RT or LT
Martez Ivey 2ns team all SEC in 2017 at 6'5. Started 9 games at LT
Trey Smith & Greg Little were the only 2017 all SEC OLs above 6'5 who played OT

Being above 6'5 at OT is nice but I don't think it's all it's mythed out to be.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He will undeniably be more help than leaving the scholarship slot unused and lost after the recruiting year turns over.

It wouldn't be unused or lost. A mid year enrollee next January would get it at the very worst.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It wouldn't be unused or lost. A mid year enrollee next January would get it at the very worst.

What good will a mid-year enrollee next January do the 2018 team? I'll answer for you; None. I forgot there was an accountant type patrolling the boards or I would have been more thorough with my answer.

THE ONLY reason to pursue a grad transfer is for immediate help. The scholarship, if not used on a grad transfer or some other late signee before the recruiting year turns over, will provide zero immediate help.

I thought the coaches felt good about the competition at RT? If any GT I thought it would be C because of injuries.

Hey, most everyone said GT Dunn was to small, did not play against SEC D-lineman and would just provide O-line depth. 

The coaches also let GT Bell come in and try for the RG spot and he ended up only provided depth and playing in mop up time.

Mabey the guy starts, maybe he provides depth. If the coaches see something then let him come in try. Either way it would seem we get something out of the deal.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Hey, most everyone said GT Dunn was to small, did not play against SEC D-lineman and would just provide O-line depth. 

The coaches also let GT Bell come in and try for the RG spot and he ended up only provided depth and playing in mop up time.

Mabey the guy starts, maybe he provides depth. If the coaches see something then let him come in try. Either way it would seem we get something out of the deal.

Not to mention the GT/LB from Illinois..  did that guy ever play?

53 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Thanks for mentioning those.....was thinking about how valuable Dunn was last season.....and in my view, a guy who has been playing college football for 3 years at Div 1 or at a high level in FCS is likely to be of more immediate help than an incoming Juco or HS kid.  Plus this helps a guy like Dunn....or some of these other guys up their resume's by playing against a higher level of competition. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

What good will a mid-year enrollee next January do the 2018 team? I'll answer for you; None. I forgot there was an accountant type patrolling the boards or I would have been more thorough with my answer.

THE ONLY reason to pursue a grad transfer is for immediate help. The scholarship, if not used on a grad transfer or some other late signee before the recruiting year turns over, will provide zero immediate help.

With all due respect you didn't say nor imply anything about immediate help for this season in your OP. You just said the open scholly spot would be unused & lost. I could only work with what you originally posted my friend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

I thought the coaches felt good about the competition at RT? If any GT I thought it would be C because of injuries.

Tega is the big tackle concern at LT more than RT. That's the reason we went after Calvin Anderson when he was available. As for C if need be Horton can slide over there.

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

Neal. And, yes, just not very well, lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Victor Riley was pretty good? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

With all due respect you didn't say nor imply anything about immediate help for this season in your OP. You just said the open scholly spot would be unused & lost. I could only work with what you originally posted my friend.

When the subject is a grad transfer, "immediate help" goes without saying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Tega is the big tackle concern at LT more than RT. That's the reason we went after Calvin Anderson when he was available. As for C if need be Horton can slide over there.

What? I've seen nothing but good compliments from the coaches so far... That's disappointing.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Maybe I'm confused. If Tega is a concern, pray tell me why he is penciled in on the blind side of the QB, while we have a position battle going on between two very highly rated recruits at the RT spot?   maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't we be comfortable at the left tackle spot, and let The best of the rest battle it out for the right tackle spot?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Or "potential" immediate help.. 

Or even "looking for immediate help instead of a December signee".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fredst said:

Neal. And, yes, just not very well, lol.

SEC fast they say? Well he was Big ten slow. I remember seeing him on the field against sec competition and he just could not hang. He just did not have that lateral quickness nor the speed. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Blake Countess was pretty dang good for us to from michigan. Besides dropping a sure pick 6 vs bama in the iron bowl no complaints from me. He has stuck in the NFL so far to.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Just wondering as well what kind of DEs he has played against  at UMASS versus the ones he would see at AU? :dunno:

UMass played against Tennessee and Mississippi State last season. 

In 2016, they played MSU, Florida and South Carolina. 

They averaged just over 19 points a game in those 5 games.

Auburn has scored 19 points or less 9 times in the last 2 seasons, with 6 of those being against SEC competition. 

• Like 1

JMO but you are not likely to get an all-SEC player come to you as a grad transfer..... but if he has started 2 or 3 years at about any Div 1 school, I'm thinking he's likely to be a useful addition to the team.    Much as I like walk-ons, generally, I'd rather give a spare scholarship to a grad transfer if he could provide a little depth at a crucial position.   Tough as the game is, you never know when you might need help.  

• Like 2