2018 UMASS GT OT Jack Driscoll commits to AU!!! (4/25/18)

ellitor

So this Jack Driscoll guy is pretty cool. I really like that he can fit anywhere along the line. One of the positives I usually hear about Auburn lineman coming out of college is the NFL evaluators like how a lot of our lineman have had experience across the line. Really helps when injuries come up as well. Should be good to see him have an immediate impact!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Except we're consistently signing transfers who come in much better prepared than most high school kids, especially the kind of projects that we'd likely have to sign to max out at 25 every recruiting cycle. We're not going to get 25 true college football players out of high school every season. Nobody does. No point in wasting schollies just to solve a math problem IMO. Leave those spots for the quality transfers that are available every season. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

So this Jack Driscoll guy is pretty cool. I really like that he can fit anywhere along the line. One of the positives I usually hear about Auburn lineman coming out of college is the NFL evaluators like how a lot of our lineman have had experience across the line. Really helps when injuries come up as well. Should be good to see him have an immediate impact!

You will see a little less of that with Grimes.  Hand really likes to move the players around a lot whereas Grimes tries to be sure they master the position he puts them into. There are pluses and minuses to each of the coaches styles. I believe in the Grimes style you should see less missed assignments as less confusion for the player who knows his position really well. In Hand more versatility as you mentioned.

21 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You will see a little less of that with Grimes.  Hand really likes to move the players around a lot whereas Grimes tries to be sure they master the position he puts them into. There are pluses and minuses to each of the coaches styles. I believe in the Grimes style you should see less missed assignments as less confusion for the player who knows his position really well. In Hand more versatility as you mentioned.

Hands style is great if you have a talented group of upperclassmen to hold down the fort while you build up the younger guys to master each position they are going to play. It sucks, however, when you are trying to rebuild the line every year, as trying to learn every position will leave all but the elite guys struggling to be great at any one of them. 

I'm really surprised Gus chose Hand's style, as it doesn't fit his personality. While he likes jack of all trade kind of players, he's all about mastering details. Grimes fits a lot better with that as he will harp on the little things making sure that you are doing your part for the line to function as a whole.

• Like 1