Carlson and Draper Are Selected in NPF Draft

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/042318aaa.html

April 23, 2018

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Auburn senior softball players Kaylee Carlson and Victoria Draper were selected during the 2018 National Pro Fastpitch Draft on Monday evening. Carlson was selected 13th overall by the Aussie Spirt while Draper was picked up with the 19th pick by the Beijing Shougang Eagles. 

The pair becomes the fifth and sixth Tigers drafted in NPF history joining Angel Bunner (2012), Morgan Estell and Branndi Melero (2015) and current volunteer assistant coach Emily Carosone (2016). 

Carlson’s third-round selection made history as the Aussie Spirit made the right-hander their first-ever selection as a franchise. 

Carlson has been nothing short of spectacular in the circle for the Tigers this season, posting a 0.92 ERA, which ranks as the lowest single-season total in program history. The Garden Grove, Calif. product’s 1.48 career ERA is also a program best. Carlson is Auburn’s all-time winningest pitcher with 65 career victories in just three seasons. 

Draper, a native of Moulton, Ala. has also had an outstanding senior campaign as she has topped the school record for stolen bases in a season (37). Her 55 career stolen bases rank second all-time in program history. Draper has started every game for Auburn the last three seasons and ranks in the top 10 in career batting average (.352). 

ABOUT THE NPF

National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) is a growing professional sports platform for women in sport, specifically the sport of fastpitch softball. NPF currently exists as a rarity among professional team sports options for women. The league provides a place for fastpitch softball’s elite level players, to compete against each other. The NPF works to grow the game daily through individual team ownership, increased engagement with corporate America partners and expanded television coverage. The five current affiliate NPF teams are located in Akron, OH; Chicago, IL; Kansas City, MO; Vero Beach, FL and Viera, FL. 

spacer.gif

Congratulations to both - well deserved.

An honor to be drafted, I'm sure.  The whole pro fastpitch thing is a bit murky to me.  Wasn't there a team in Houston called the Scrapyard Dogs?  I think maybe Haley Fagan played for them.  They seem to be no more.  And Viera, Florida?  I recall going through there once.  I noticed on another board that Alexis Osorio was drafted by the Cleveland Comets.  Not in that list of cities above.  Anybody know much about NPF Softball?

I was wondering why they are drafted by Aussie and Beijing, yet all cities are in the States. Great for them. Their hard work paying off. 

I don't know much about pro fast pitch either, but I thought for certain Haley Fagan, Kasey Cooper and Jade Rhodes were all drafted.   I believe the team that Kasey Cooper was on has folded but not sure how that affects the players on that roster. 

Profastpitch is a floundering league. I’m not sure how much longer they’ll be able to keep it going. Mobile, AL is actually starting it’s own league called the American Softball Association (ASBA), and it will be based entirely in the Mobile area. 

Also, I’m fairly certain that neither Draper nor Carlson will play in the NPF this summer, as both were planning other things after this AU softball season.  

Archived