Early start on

Shug2003

I was surprised at the number of recruits at the A day game. It took about 25 minutes to get them all seated in the south end of the field and according to reports, there were some 273 of them there. Wow! I saw Bart Eddins and his dad and he should be the top DL prospect in the state next year, along with several other well known prospects. I have an idea this could be a nother banner year for us. :cheer::au:

Somebody stated on this board a few months back that we should really see the benefit of the 13-0 season in the '06 recruiting class. I hope that is correct. We had a pretty darn good class this year. :au:

There are supposed to be more D1 prospects in the State of Alabama this year than last. It should be a good year for both AU & UA. If AU continues to win, it is always good for recruiting. Let's face it kids want to go to a team that is winning and staying on top. Bama can offer early playing time at almost all positions. So they should have another good year as well.

I hope we get another stud runningback and quarterback, because from what I saw out of our runningbacks and quarterbacks, we have a lot of work to do. I still can't understand why Tuberville did not go after more runningbacks this year, instead of going after a long-shot in Antone Smith.

Coach Tuberville has said that he not only recruits good players, but, players that will "fit" at Auburn. Good citizens and good people. It does no good to get a player that is in trouble or strugglin' to make grades.

He has proven that he has an eye for the "right" kids. I trust his judgement. :au:

I hope we get another stud runningback and quarterback, because from what I saw out of our runningbacks and quarterbacks, we have a lot of work to do.  I still can't understand why Tuberville did not go after more runningbacks this year, instead of going after a long-shot in Antone Smith.

151876[/snapback]

Smith was the best RB in last years recruiting class. Why go after someone not as good. Also there are several very very good RB's in this years class who AU will have a good shot at signing.

Just a note on this year's class. I finally saw what all the fuss is about with Trey Blackmon. I viewed all the Rivals films on him today, which I had never seen. Bottom line, I've NEVER seen anything like that. :blink: Absolutely the fastest, most aggressive defensive player I've ever seen.

For those that haven't seen all these clips from Rivals, it's well worth it to look at em'. This guy is a demon. I'm making a prediction....no redshirt for Mr. Blackmon.

hope we get another stud runningback and quarterback, because from what I saw out of our runningbacks and quarterbacks, we have a lot of work to do. I still can't understand why Tuberville did not go after more runningbacks this year, instead of going after a long-shot in Antone Smith.

Shirley, you can't be serious :big:

PowerI, JMO, but the very last thing to be questioned about Tuberville is his ability to effectively recruit for need and talent. Two seasons ago, mainly due to the O-line's lack of depth, I would not have been confident in that statement. But in hindsight, Tuberville did a masterful job of recruiting the '04 class in the wake of the Petrino-gate scandal and the cloud of uncertainty. Auburn has had, arguably, the best stretch of recruiting success since the crest of the Dye era. Discounting the most recent class, the depth of talent across the board is second only to UT - and IMO, on par with that of LSU and UGA. Remarkably, the staff is doing this and recruiting predictable qualifiers and young men good character.

But it's the staff's ability to develop that talent that has been the difference of late. Cox is currently no worse no worse than 6th among the expected SEC starting QB's (1. Ainge, 2.Leak, 3. Shockley, 4.Russell, 5.Croyle, 6. Cox). But remember Cox has the least experience and thus, the greatest room for improvement. One could argue that Croyle's and Shockley's stock has been dropping due to their recent troubles.

Borges has a proven track record in developing winning QB talent, several of those with only "average" athletic talent to work with. I'll venture a guess that by the LSU game, Cox will be thought of - by most - to be no worse than 3rd on that list. However, I'll grant you the point that Cox is no Jason Campbell.

But when it comes to the running backs, I believe you're vastly underestimating that talent level on the current team. As always, it will largely be dependent on the O-line, but in general Auburn has as deep a RB corps as anyone else in the conference (thanks CEG). We're blessed to truly be in a "reload" scenario in this regard. At worst, they are rated 4th, prolly 3rd in the conference behind UT and LSU. If Lumpkin's knee is fully healthy by fallball, then mebbe 4th, but I'm from missouri. Besides that, Antone Smith would've redshirted. He's talented, but not so talented that he would've unseated the current crew, IMO.

With a talented receiver corps to take pressure off of Borge's scheme, and a QB with a historical tendency for accuracy on short/quick routes, Cox has the potential to step into the role of contender. And we haven't yet factored in the immediate impact of the incoming TE's, especially with the TE position playing a pivotal role in most WCO schemes. The only question is one of leadership. Tuberville's best coaching job was in letting his Senior leadership assume a significant role last season. Can he afford to to the same in '05? ...... Likely not.

Auburn is going to be a dangerous opponent to face this season. They will be the dominant defensive team in the SEC, again. And the continuity of leadership on defense is not in question with TW's return.

But on offense, it's Cox's burden to bear. Should make for an interesting August.....

“He’s having trouble lifting his left arm,” Borges said of Field. “One because of pain and two because it’s harnessed in there pretty good. Him and then Brandon Cox dislocating his finger and coming back and continuing to play sends a message to the rest of the team on how bad they want to play. I think that’s huge.”

Archived