Softball vs. Texas A&M

Great inning of work by Ashlee Swindle.      Top of the order coming up for Auburn in the top 6th.    Taylon Snow, McCrackin and Shea.  We need RUNS!!!

1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

We need RUNS!!!

Unfortunately a common theme this year. 

Shea grounds to the left side, backhanded stop at short, throw to 2nd and they call McCrackin out and I don't think it was even close to being an out.  McCrackin was across the base when the throw got there, at least that's how it looked to me.      Maresette in to pinch run for Shea at 1st.

Rivera 1st pitch, lines one to the gap in left center and to the wall.   Run scores,   Snow held at 3rd.  Rivera stands up at 2nd.   3-1 game for Kendall Veach.

Veach pops it up in foul territory on the right side, caught by the 1st baseman close to the bag to end the inning.  Auburn gets a run but leaves 2 in scoring position.  Auburn trails 3-1.   Gotta hold them where they are and get at least 2 in the next inning.

Dowell, Podany and Draper due up in the 7th.  Auburn  needs 2 to keep the game going.   Let's go TIGERS

Draper sharp grounder to short, throw to 2nd to get the lead runner.      Draper on 1st and back to the top of the order.  Taylon Snow up.

I don't guess we have a solution for run support. Elite pitching but can't string hits together.  

But  this loss is primarily on the pitching, uncharacteristically.  Carlson got dusted up in the 4th.  Great job by Swindle in relief.  And we would have had one more run in top 6 except for that missed call by the 2d base ump (same guy who missed the call at first later?).  After being irritated with Rivera for her roundhouse swinging for a few weeks, I'm back on her bandwagon.  She's had a bunch of clutch hits recently.

Best thing about tonight was the uniform choice.  Love that blue over white, no pinstripes.

I agree on the pitching tonight, but that is partly my point. They have picked up the offense much of the year.  In a game the pitching struggles, we need some help at the plate. 

I agree that our overall weakness is hitting.  Baseball had 15 hits today against Florida.  Maybe the girls can get infected from that.

Hope I am wrong, but don't think we will make it out of a regional this year unless we get a lucky draw. We desperately need a batting coach.

Props to A&M. Their pitcher consistently had our batters grounding out on the drop ball, and they had the timely hitting. Maybe we can come back and win the series. 

11 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

But  this loss is primarily on the pitching, uncharacteristically.  Carlson got dusted up in the 4th.  Great job by Swindle in relief.  And we would have had one more run in top 6 except for that missed call by the 2d base ump (same guy who missed the call at first later?).  After being irritated with Rivera for her roundhouse swinging for a few weeks, I'm back on her bandwagon.  She's had a bunch of clutch hits recently.

Best thing about tonight was the uniform choice.  Love that blue over white, no pinstripes.

I guess you can say that but pitchers should not have to throw shut outs in order to win a game.  As a team, somehow we should be able to scratch out 3 runs against most teams and pitchers...JMO...but not gonna win many games with 1 or zero runs.    

CMD really needs to look for a good hitting coach ASAP.  I realize he got caught short when his coach bailed out at the last minute so not beating on him over that issue.....it is what it is. 

11 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I agree on the pitching tonight, but that is partly my point. They have picked up the offense much of the year.  In a game the pitching struggles, we need some help at the plate. 

We need runs period and this wasn't at all a game where the pitching struggled.  We had one bad spot where they got consecutive hits and it all came after 2 outs in the inning and started with a walk.  A&M only had 5 hits and 3 of them were in that inning (after the walk).      But, we can't go out there expecting the pitching to be perfect every game.  We have to score runs.  Scoring 1 run a game isn't going to do it most nights.   We also left 6 runners on base and I believe at least 3 of those were in scoring position.  We just didn't get the 2 out hit we needed like A&M did last night.

Agree.  Stranding runners is the worst I have seen this year. That may be where we miss Carlee the most

Archived