Auburn in the 2018 NFL Draft

metafour

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

You excited about Chubb? He could be the next Demarcus Ware that they are looking for 

edit: sorry my freaking phone keeps autocorrecting to chum.

I'm giddy over getting Chubb.  Miller kept getting double teamed last year, so this should help him a ton.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

"Advisors" and whatever other terms they go by are only after one thing; get some money coming into the kid and ripoff their high percentage, if not all of it. Barring unforeseen injury, both Holland and Davis would have been much, much better off staying at AU another year.

They don't normally publicize what the guys are told by the advisors.  Many of the guys have their mind made up before the advisors tell them anything.  I think Holland and Pettway both were coming out no matter what they heard.  I wish them the best. 

57 minutes ago, DAG said:

He can do it. That why he is a low risk high reward player as an UDFA. No reason to risk a draft pick on someone who has underneath he scenes issues. I don’t think he will make a 53 man though. He definitely can make a practice squad.

Meanwhile, Antonio Callaway was drafted. Shaking my head on that one. 

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Talent will always trump trouble for the most part. As good as KP was for us the previous year, I don’t think he would’ve been a day 1 or 2 draft pick . Definitely a day 3. Callaway’s trouble dropped him from potentially being a day 1 pick. He definitely has the talent for one.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Callaway would probably be the second or third most talented receiver to play for Auburn this millennium. Dudes a beast that carried some god awful QBs

Seriously. How did Holland fall like that??? I read somewhere he was a 2-3 round grade? I don’t get it. Game tape doesn’t lie, regardless of his measurables. 

2 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Seriously. How did Holland fall like that??? I read somewhere he was a 2-3 round grade? I don’t get it. Game tape doesn’t lie, regardless of his measurables. 

A couple of things. First, over 100 underclassmen declared this year. Virtually everyone of them were told by somebody they were 2-4 round material. I’ve yet to read an article where one says, “Yeah, I’m coming our early and I’ve been told I will likely be an undrafted free agent.” If 100 are coming out, they can’t all be early rounders. The math doesn’t work. Also, Holland was great at rushing the passer in obvious pass downs. He wasn’t nearly as good in coverage or holding the line of scrimmage on running plays. His sacks were on game tape, but so were those things. And right or wrong,  the NFL is always about the measurables. Holland is talented and I hope he finds a permanent home in the league like Peyton Barber did. 

11 hours ago, around4ever said:

They don't normally publicize what the guys are told by the advisors.  Many of the guys have their mind made up before the advisors tell them anything.  I think Holland and Pettway both were coming out no matter what they heard.  I wish them the best. 

By "advisors", I was referring to the cadre of  alleged uncles, family friends and other hangers-on that so many gifted athletes seem to acquire these days. Think Peaches and Brent Calloway.

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

By "advisors", I was referring to the cadre of  alleged uncles, family friends and other hangers-on that so many gifted athletes seem to acquire these days. Think Peaches and Brent Calloway.

Yep...these are the folks eager to get those young men off to the NFL so they can begin enjoying the benefits.....sometimes pushing them before they are ready...It's times like this (draft) where lots of people are wearing those "orange and blue" glasses and fail to see the entire picture as Gowebb described above.    

I'm wondering who is gonna tell these young players when they are not ready.....if coaches do so, they are likely to be accused of looking out for their own interests... and not the player's.   Maybe a school gets props for having a bunch of drafted players....but in my view, nobody gains when guys leave early to sign a UFA deal. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

First, over 100 underclassmen declared this year. Virtually everyone of them were told by somebody they were 2-4 round material.

Yeah, I doubt this. The players can ask for a grade from the NFL and I guarantee not all of these grades are this generous. The NFL wants the fringe players to stay in school. 

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep...these are the folks eager to get those young men off to the NFL so they can begin enjoying the benefits.....sometimes pushing them before they are ready...It's times like this (draft) where lots of people are wearing those "orange and blue" glasses and fail to see the entire picture as Gowebb described above.  

I can imagine Holland was ready to leave no matter what grade he received.  Doesn’t require a whole lot of steering in that case. 

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm wondering who is gonna tell these young players when they are not ready.....if coaches do so, they are likely to be accused of looking out for their own interests... and not the player's.

Saban tells his players to use their brains and it works. He says if you receive a grade worth leaving for, leave. If not, your interests will be better served by staying in school. Look at their draft numbers. Their elite juniors usually go first and then their seniors trickle through the rest of the 7 round draft. Those seniors benefitted a lot by staying an extra year. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah, I doubt this. The players can ask for a grade from the NFL and I guarantee not all of these grades are this generous. The NFL wants the fringe players to stay in school. 

You  are correct, the NFL grades are not this generous. Even still, the NFL advisory committee gives their advice prior to the combine and pro day. The problem is, a lot of these kids take advice from advisors, agents, etc... Apparently, this year over 30 of the 100 who declared early went undrafted. It could be that we start seeing a shift to more players staying in college longer. 

29 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I can imagine Holland was ready to leave no matter what grade he received.  Doesn’t require a whole lot of steering in that case. 

Saban tells his players to use their brains and it works. He says if you receive a grade worth leaving for, leave. If not, your interests will be better served by staying in school. Look at their draft numbers. Their elite juniors usually go first and then their seniors trickle through the rest of the 7 round draft. Those seniors benefitted a lot by staying an extra year. 

Could be a factor but of course, look at the numbers and they have far more NFL track players than we have had lately so it's hard to make the comparison.  We have had guys who don't seem to take the long view...JMO.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

look at the numbers and they have far more NFL track players

Well of course. They still benefit from having a sensible approach to the NFL draft when they have multiple fringe juniors come back. There are some exceptions- Sunseri was the last one I believe. 

We do not have a very sensible approach, we have a moreso player friendly approach. Gus shouldn’t try to avoid being more up front with his players. At the end of the day, it’s tbe players interests that matter. Not a fairy tale signing bonus for an UDFA.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Well of course. They still benefit from having a sensible approach to the NFL draft when they have multiple fringe juniors come back. There are some exceptions- Sunseri was the last one I believe. 

We do not have a very sensible approach, we have a moreso player friendly approach. Gus shouldn’t try to avoid being more up front with his players. At the end of the day, it’s tbe players interests that matter. Not a fairy tale signing bonus for an UDFA.

I expect NS is more up front with the players about what their chances are......Just from how players describe their relations with AU coaches ...and the number of chances miscreants seem to get, I doubt Gus would ever take the tough love approach.   JMO.

8 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Maybe his agent or family members. Not scouts . The consensus was that he would be a third day draftee. That being the case he had to kill the combine or at least the pro day which he really didn’t, so there goes your risk. This is why I couldn’t understand why some of these guys didn’t try to do everything possible in pro day to improve numbers from the combine . Ehh it’s over now. He has an opportunity to make a squad.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Maybe his agent or family members. Not scouts . The consensus was that he would be a third day draftee. That being the case he had to kill the combine or at least the pro day which he really didn’t, so there goes your risk. This is why I couldn’t understand why some of these guys didn’t try to do everything possible in pro day to improve numbers from the combine . Ehh it’s over now. He has an opportunity to make a squad.

This an area where I think guys should have a chance to come back if they don't get drafted. We are looking at half the basketball team trying to get drafted and yet they will have the option to come back if they don't make it....but football players have no choice but to "get a job".       

Could be that the problem with football players is many of these guys apparently quit going to class soon as they  sign up for the draft....maybe to start working out with trainers or something    If that's the case as often as I think, probably many would not be academically eligible to play the next season if they didn't  get drafted..   On the other hand, some might stay in school until they know the outcome. 

I’m happy for all the AU guys who are getting their shot. I hope next year, we have more go higher in the draft. We should, especially on the defensive side of the ball. 

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

This an area where I think guys should have a chance to come back if they don't get drafted. We are looking at half the basketball team trying to get drafted and yet they will have the option to come back if they don't make it....but football players have no choice but to "get a job".       

Could be that the problem with football players is many of these guys apparently quit going to class soon as they  sign up for the draft....maybe to start working out with trainers or something    If that's the case as often as I think, probably many would not be academically eligible to play the next season if they didn't  get drafted..   On the other hand, some might stay in school until they know the outcome. 

No basketball player have a chance to come back if they don’t sign with an agent and don’t receive the grade they may like but they can’t come back if they still choose to go along with the drafting process. I think he NFL should adapt the same principle. Let them go through the combine and get a grade and they can come back previous to the draft, if they have not signed with any agent. I think that is completely fair. 

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Holland had an unbelievable year, I don’t think there was anything substantial he could’ve showed that he didn’t 

His play swallowed up anything Carl Lawson ever did. 4rth round.

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

You  are correct, the NFL grades are not this generous. Even still, the NFL advisory committee gives their advice prior to the combine and pro day. The problem is, a lot of these kids take advice from advisors, agents, etc... Apparently, this year over 30 of the 100 who declared early went undrafted. It could be that we start seeing a shift to more players staying in college longer. 

Yeah take Trenton Thompson for example. I remember we were recruiting him hard. He should have stayed another year. He went undrafted. 1st number 1 overall recruit to go undrafted.

13 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

12 percentile SPARQ score.  Too short and light to play DE so he now will be looked at as 3-4 OLB only in the NFL.  He was considered a 3rd rounder until he was actually measured and if you watched his game tape as you said it does not lie.  One trick pony going after the qb, very raw in knowledge of his position, no bend, stiff hips.  He plays the game hard but he is a tweaner with low athletic testing.   Those players always drop

5 hours ago, DAG said:

No basketball player have a chance to come back if they don’t sign with an agent and don’t receive the grade they may like but they can’t come back if they still choose to go along with the drafting process. I think he NFL should adapt the same principle. Let them go through the combine and get a grade and they can come back previous to the draft, if they have not signed with any agent. I think that is completely fair. 

True but NBA only has 2 rounds I think...or maybe 3 so unless a kid is totally out of touch they should be expecting not to get drafted...and of course most don't get agents and should be the same for NFL    But...the league is so tied to agents,  I'm wondering if they would do that.   Just thinking that for underclassmen like Holland who don't know their status until the draft is done....should have the option to return IF they have stayed in good academic standing with their school. 

The other side of the story is.....sometimes a guy is better off being a UFA than a 10th round pick to some team that really does not need him.    Looks like our UDA players found a home quickly which might mean they will have a reasonable chance to make the 53 man squad.  Hoping so. 

Archived