Gary Taylor new Swimming and Diving Coach

GwillMac6

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he will be a good one.  We do not know since he hasn't been head coach at a big time school, but I really think we needed a proven name this go round.  We needed to beef up recruiting quickly to thrust ourselves back into the fold nationally. Disappointing on the surface based on my anticipation, but I will give him the chance to succeed. Welcome to the family coach. 

He's a respected coach and several are complimenting this hire. He's an experienced distance coach which goes against what our program was know for (sprinting) but he's shown his results can  give a team the chance to win at NCAA's

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Maybe he will be a good one.  We do not know since he hasn't been head coach at a big time school, but I really think we needed a proven name this go round.  We needed to beef up recruiting quickly to thrust ourselves back into the fold nationally. Disappointing on the surface based on my anticipation, but I will give him the chance to succeed. Welcome to the family coach. 

I think we'll see recruiting improve especially for distance swimmers.

I hope he can get it done for us. This was a surprising hire no doubt. I hear he is an excellent recruiter and this is what is needed to bring home championships. The first thing he needs to do is to secure Coach Lopez as his associate coach and let him handle the sprinters. There is no reason we should not do well for both distance and sprints with having Coach Lopez in the coaching mix.

WDE

Doc

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I hope he can get it done for us. This was a surprising hire no doubt. I hear he is an excellent recruiter and this is what is needed to bring home championships. The first thing he needs to do is to secure Coach Lopez as his associate coach and let him handle the sprinters. There is no reason we should not do well for both distance and sprints with having Coach Lopez in the coaching mix.

WDE

Doc

I don't think Lopez would stay if not hired as the Head Coach, he is in the mix for a number of jobs so we will see. 

It is interesting the hire a distance coach when the mile is only one of 13 events. 

Time will tell but helping to take NC State to 4th overall in the last two seasons is something of note.

I am hoping we hit a home run but as many said since he has never been a head coach it will take a while to find out. I doubt if we will ever know for sure but did we actually talk with Marsh and was there any interest on his side.

That said Welcome aboard may you prove to be a great hire. War Eagle

2 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Sergio Lopez is going to VT's new head coach

https://swimswam.com/sergio-lopez-hired-as-virginia-tech-head-coach/

OK....so why did we not bump Lopez up?    Because we thought we could hire someone better prepared to run the AU program?      Otherwise, I think most people are like me and have no idea whether Taylor is a good hire....a couple years from now we will know a lot more but I'm reluctant to even hint anything negative about it.

War Eagle and welcome aboard coach Taylor.....

42 minutes ago, AU64 said:

OK....so why did we not bump Lopez up?    Because we thought we could hire someone better prepared to run the AU program?      Otherwise, I think most people are like me and have no idea whether Taylor is a good hire....a couple years from now we will know a lot more but I'm reluctant to even hint anything negative about it.

War Eagle and welcome aboard coach Taylor.....

Not certain, but it probably had to do with Taylor showing he could help his team be competitive at the acc's and ncaa's meanwhile Lopez doesn't have much to show in the regard.

1 minute ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Not certain, but it probably had to do with Taylor showing he could help his team be competitive at the acc's and ncaa's meanwhile Lopez doesn't have much to show in the regard.

I figured that is the case....but Lopez landed a pretty good job it seems....Power 5 School...though not a power....but as I read the announcement it seems that he has quite a good resume in international swimming,  college and prep schools.   He was only here 2 years and did not have a following I guess but AU has helped his resume and nice to see him get a good HC job..  

http://www.hokiesports.com/swimming/recaps/20180430aaa.html

I am waiting to see who Coach Taylor hires as his assistant coaches. I am sure he will try to get the best sprint coach he can find to compliment his long distance expertise. I hope this will be a great hire. The AD wants our program to be back to the level it was during Coach Marsh tenure.

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I figured that is the case....but Lopez landed a pretty good job it seems....Power 5 School...though not a power....but as I read the announcement it seems that he has quite a good resume in international swimming,  college and prep schools.   He was only here 2 years and did not have a following I guess but AU has helped his resume and nice to see him get a good HC job..  

http://www.hokiesports.com/swimming/recaps/20180430aaa.html

Obviously we all wish him the best. He wasn't going g to be too keen being an assistant at Auburn anyway after getting passed up for the HC job. I'm anxious to see what Taylor does here.

15 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Obviously we all wish him the best. He wasn't going g to be too keen being an assistant at Auburn anyway after getting passed up for the HC job. I'm anxious to see what Taylor does here.

Yep, once he did not get the job, leaving was an obvious decision considering he's been HC in the past and probably AU was a good place for him to dress up his resume'.   AU is still a pretty good name to have on your coaching resume'.

1 hour ago, swimmama said:

No, David was never contacted and yes, he was very interested.

Greene had no previous experience one way or the other and I'm guessing the committee that someone mentioned would be able to find Marsh's phone number if they had an interest in him. ....so maybe he burned some bridges when he left?  

3 hours ago, swimmama said:

No, David was never contacted and yes, he was very interested.

Yeah, where was the committee...particularly Gaines?

He may wind up being a home run, but it will have to be the inside the park variety.

So now we wait and see. The real test is recruiting and that will show in a year or two.

In some sports, scheme, playbook, Xs and Os can maximize talent or cover for the lack of it. In swimming, there is no substitute for talent. Every event, every meet, it is one on one.

Every good coach can train, develop technique. A good coach can motivate as well. Hawke was a good coach and I appreciate his effort at Auburn.

But there is no substitute for speed in the water. That's recruiting.

Show us what you got, Coach T!

His first press conference is available to watch on the Auburn website.

It sounds like he plans on relying on international recruiting much like David Marsh did in several aspects. Our international recruiting has not been where it once was save the occasional Brazilian sprinter.

Archived