Gary Taylor new Swimming and Diving Coach

GwillMac6

Taylor: Auburn swimming fans, alumni 'want to win yesterday'
Gary Taylor knows the pressure that comes with the job at Auburn, where national titles are expected.
Brandon Marcello - May 2, 1:53 AM

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn needed less than one week to identify Gary Taylor as its swimming coach.

It didn’t take Taylor long to decide he wanted to come to Auburn, either. It’s a dream job for the former NC State and Florida State assistant coach. After all, he met his wife, an Auburn graduate and former Tiger Paw, here on campus in 2007.

He also believes he can win national titles at Auburn, where the Tigers are experiencing a nine-year drought without a national championship after winning eight in school history, including five straight in the early 2000s under legendary coach David Marsh.

“You talk about people expecting 10 years ago to win,” Taylor said. “I still think they’re expecting to win now. I really believe everyone involved with the program — the alumni, the current athletes and the department — they want to win yesterday. I’m excited about the department because I think they believe in the right things necessary in order to win: development of people, development of culture. That’s one fo the things that fascinated me about this opportunity.

“I will tell you this: if I didn’t think I could do that, I wouldn’t be here. I certainly understand I’m going to be under the microscope and I’m going to be judged. If I didn’t want that, then I wouldn’t be sitting in front of you and I wouldn’t have sat in front of the team 10-15 minutes ago. That’s part of the excitement.”

Taylor’s official start date at Auburn is set for May 7. He is already speaking with candidates to join his staff and hopes to have hires made within the next 10 to 14 days.

In the interim, Taylor has to sell himself to the swimmers and alumni. Thirteen-time All-American Zach Apple left the program Tuesday and intends to transfer to Indiana, providing the Tigers a massive hole in their lineup heading into next season.

Taylor is a former club coach out of Georgia, so he has connections throughout the southeast and in Raleigh, North Carolina. He’s counting on more than just the region as his recruiting bed, of course.

“I really think Auburn is a national and international brand, so I think the Auburn family stretches worldwide,” Taylor said. “You’ve had a number of tremendous swimmers, past and present, from all over the U.S. and really all over the entire world. So, I think it certainly continues to work in the southeast but really throughout the country and that starts with connecting with the coaches and knowing that Auburn is going to recruit hard, we’re going to get out there and do our homework and then even worldwide it’s connecting with those athletes, the coaches from the different foreign countries.

“Recruiting is hard but fortunately I’m here at Auburn University and that carries a big name in the swimming world.”

Taylor replaces Brett Hawke, who stepped down after 10 years as the head coach of the men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs at Auburn.

He married an Auburn girl, a Tiger Paw no less, so at least we know he's smart and can achieve great things.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all received a letter from him today through the secretary. It was an interesting letter. I think that he would have been better served to leave out a few things that he said. He said that he knew that he wasn’t the first choice and that he wanted to win people over but if not he was still going to work hard. I think for your first introduction to former swimmers and families. If he wins and brings the program back to the elite status that it once had, people will definitely be behind him. I was just struck by a few statements that might have been left unsaid at this time. We are all behind you Gary, just show us what you can do and we will all join you at Toomers!

WAR EAGLE

The wife and I stopped by Auburn on the way back from a New Orleans weekend trip on Monday.  We ate at Acres, (first time we have been, very good and they are proud of their food, the price shows it) we sat by a student and an older gentleman talking German.  After eating my wife, being the outgoing person she is, strikes up a conversation thinking the older gentleman was her father and he was there for graduation this weekend.  He was actually an member of her country’s Olympic team and were discussing her participation in the Tokyo Olypics in a couple of years.

She is a sprinter and I happened to ask what she tought of the new coach.  She was a little concerned only because he seems more of a distance type of coach so she has a wait and see attitude when it comes to the new coach.  I’ll be rooting for her in Tokyo, nice young lady.

On 5/3/2018 at 2:46 PM, swimmama said:

We all received a letter from him today through the secretary. It was an interesting letter. I think that he would have been better served to leave out a few things that he said. He said that he knew that he wasn’t the first choice and that he wanted to win people over but if not he was still going to work hard. I think for your first introduction to former swimmers and families. If he wins and brings the program back to the elite status that it once had, people will definitely be behind him. I was just struck by a few statements that might have been left unsaid at this time. We are all behind you Gary, just show us what you can do and we will all join you at Toomers!

WAR EAGLE

That is a bit concerning. Yes, I'm behind him 100%, so as you stated, "let's see what he can do".

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That is a bit concerning. Yes, I'm behind him 100%, so as you stated, "let's see what he can do".

That's always good advice....and funny that it's necessary to remind people of that so frequently....:)

I think Coach Taylor needs to concentrate on bringing in a coach who is a proven sprint coach who can provide the coaching that is needed to make us a well rounded team of elite distance and sprint swimmers. Doing this should hopefully win over members of the team that are having concerns of us becoming less of a sprint team of which has been our hallmark for many years. CGT needs to hit a home run with this hire.

Does anyone have any idea of who might be some potential candidates for the assistant coach positions?

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I think Coach Taylor needs to concentrate on bringing in a coach who is a proven sprint coach who can provide the coaching that is needed to make us a well rounded team of elite distance and sprint swimmers. Doing this should hopefully win over members of the team that are having concerns of us becoming less of a sprint team of which has been our hallmark for many years. CGT needs to hit a home run with this hire.

Hired the first new coach on Monday.

https://swimswam.com/auburn-hires-duncan-sherrard-as-first-assistant-on-new-swimming-staff/

Auburn announced on Monday that they had hired Duncan Sherrard as the first assistant coach of Gary Taylor’s new swimming coaching staff. Sherrard comes to Auburn after 3 years as an assistant at North Carolina.

“I am extremely humbled and excited that Gary reached out to me and has given me the opportunity to join his staff at Auburn,” Sherrard said. “Auburn is a top-tier program and I’m excited to be a part of such a rich tradition and legacy. I can’t wait to get to The Plains to start coaching.”

“Duncan stands out as being very professional, very hard working and he wants to be really successful,” Taylor said. “He brings energy and passion to the sport and he’ll bring a great dynamic to my staff at Auburn.”

Sherrard, prior to his 3 years at UNC, was the head coach at Division II Florida Southern College from 2009-2015, and for the 3 years prior to that was an assistant at top Junior College Indian River State College. He also served as an assistant on the 2017 U.S. World University Games staff, where North Carolina had two athletes competing: Caroline Baldwin and Hellen Moffitt. Baldwin won the 50 free and Moffitt won the 100 fly at that meet for university students around the world.

“Duncan has been a winner at every level he’s ever been on,” Taylor said. “He understands grit, determination and hard work. He knows what it takes to become a winner and that’s what I want to be surrounded by.”

The North Carolina women placed 4th out of 12 teams and the men were 8th out of 12 teams at last year’s ACC Championships. UNC broke school records in all 5 men’s relays, 4 out of 5 women’s relays, and both the 50 and 100 free while Sherrard is there. Caroline Baldwin, who Auburn’s press release credits Sherrard with coaching, also broke the ACC Conference Record in the 50 free and became the school’s first 50 free finalist in back-to-back seasons in 20 years.

UNC’s results during Sherrard’s tenure there:

MEN’S ACCS MEN’S NCAAS WOMEN’S ACCS WOMEN’S NCAAS
2015-2016 3rd 26th 3rd 18th
2016-2017 7th 36th 4th 17th
2017-2018 8th 36th 4th 25th

At Florida Southern, Sherrard produced the school’s first-ever NCAA Championship qualifiers and won 4-straight Sunshine State Conference Coach of the Year awards, including winning 3 conference championships. His teams produced 278 All-Americans, 12 NCAA event titles, and broke 5 NCAA Division II records during his tenure.

A 4-year varsity letter winner and 14-time NCAA All-American swimmer at Florida, Sherrard was a team captain during his senior year with the Gators. He also was head swim coach for Bucholz High School in Gainesville from 2004-2006 and an age group coach at the Gator Swim Club from 2002-2005, shortly after his graduation.

Then got another on the 8th

https://swimswam.com/michael-joyce-added-to-auburn-coaching-staff-as-assistant/

After just adding Duncan Sherrard as an assistant, Auburn has named Michael Joyce as the newest addition to the coaching staff under new head coach Gary Taylor.

Taylor and Joyce have NC State ties — Joyce was a volunteer assistant for two seasons with NC State before taking an assistant job at Princeton, where he served as the lead Sprint and Middle-Distance coach. Taylor spent the last six seasons with the Wolfpack, serving as associate head coach for the last two.

Most recently, Joyce spent the 2017-18 season coaching the sprint group at Arizona State under head coach Bob Bowman. The Sun Devil men finished 20th and the women 23rd at their respective 2018 NCAA Championships.

“Mike is young, passionate, energetic and extremely outgoing,” Taylor said. “Mike has a lot of connections not only at the club level but also at the college level. I had the opportunity to get to know Mike during my time at NC State. He was someone that wasn’t scared to get up early and stay up late and he worked hard all day through in between. I want to be surrounded by people with energy and passion and great minds for the sport who see big things for Auburn in the future. Mike is one of those and he is going to be a tremendous asset in coaching, recruiting and every aspect of the program.”

Joyce completed his undergrad and graduate degrees at the University of Florida, where he was an All-American swimmer. He also brings club experience to the table, having served as an age group coach for Raleigh Swim Association as well as Gator Swim Club.

“Gary and I worked together once before and I know the type of passion, energy and enthusiasm he brings each day and I look forward to being alongside him again,” Joyce said. “I’m aware of the Auburn swimming tradition. It is one that is second-to-none and I’m looking to help the program get back to the place in the standings it is capable of.”

“I am very thankful for the opportunity Coach (Bob) Bowman gave me at Arizona State. I have learned more in one year under his expertise than I ever thought possible. He’s a great man and a great mentor. I look forward to seeing him on deck in the future. I’m also thankful for the ASU staff and student-athletes for embracing me into their family this past year.”

“We are very appreciative of Mike Joyce for his many contributions to the ASU swimming program this year,” said ASU head coach Bowman. “While we are disappointed to see him move on, we understand that this move is in the best interest of his family and his long-term career plan. We wish him all the best at Auburn!”

Besides Taylor, Sherrard, and Joyce, Tyler McGillremains on the Auburn coaching roster as an assistant along with head diving coach Jeff Shaffer. McGill, an Auburn alum, has been with the team since 2013, while Shaffer has headed the diving program since 1999.

Seems to be bringing in some young guys with pedigree. Both look like sprint coaches. 

sounds like he is addressing the sprint swimmer coaching needs with an excellent assistant. I am liking Coach Taylor more and more with this move. 

WDE & swim on super fast!

Gideon Louw is the latest assistant coach addition. Gideon was a former sprinter at Auburn who is from South Africa. He has since coached at FSU and Minnesota. This is a great hire by Coach Taylor!

10 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Gideon Louw is the latest assistant coach addition. Gideon was a former sprinter at Auburn who is from South Africa. He has since coached at FSU and Minnesota. This is a great hire by Coach Taylor!

CGT is surrounding himself with some super coaches. Do you have a link  on him?   Thanks!!

• 8 months later...

any up to date information on our swimming team?

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

any up to date information on our swimming team?

The dynasty we had wasn't torn down in a day, it took time. I think it's going to take some time to get it back to where it was, if we ever get there.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The dynasty we had wasn't torn down in a day, it took time. I think it's going to take some time to get it back to where it was, if we ever get there.

If Marsh would of been re hired he would of got the program a natty within the first 3 years. Easily the greatest and most dominant coach AU has ever had in any sport.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If Marsh would of been re hired he would of got the program a natty within the first 3 years. Easily the greatest and most dominant coach AU has ever had in any sport.

I agree, but Marsh wasn't re-hired.

Just now, Mikey said:

I agree, but Marsh wasn't re-hired.

Which boggles my mind. He is a alum and surely he rather be at AU than a D-2 school if we really would of pushed to re hire him.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Which boggles my mind. He is a alum and surely he rather be at AU than a D-2 school if we really would of pushed to re hire him.

Marsh wasn't coming back to Auburn while JJ was the AD. They had serious differences.

Just now, Mikey said:

Marsh wasn't coming back to Auburn while JJ was the AD. They had serious differences.

When was the new coach hired? I thought JJ was out by then.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

When was the new coach hired? I thought JJ was out by then.

You're correct. Greene was hired in January and he did the swim coach hire in April. So it must be that Marsh simply doesn't want to coach at AU any more. At least asking him to take the job would have been a no-brainer, so it about had to be Marsh's decision to not come here. Why, I don't know. I'm on first name speaking terms with him if/when we see each other but it's not like I could call and discuss personal situations.

Sometimes it doesn't make any sense to go home, as it were. The college rules have changed since Marsh left, and it was because of these rules, in part, as to why he left.  Why come back to coach when he feels his hands are tied ? I'd like to see it, no doubt, but as for now, things are as they are. 

Nice win by the women over UF, btw. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 12:22 AM, GwillMac6 said:

What does Marsh AU record look like vs Gregg William now at AU?

Archived