Harold Joiner sets sights on Heisman

WFE12

Auburn RB signee Harold Joiner sets sights on Heisman Trophy

Spenser Davis

Auburn running back signee Harold Joiner is not afraid of setting lofty goals before he even arrives on campus.

The 4-star recruit spoke with Josh Bean of AL.com this week, and had a lot to say about his future with the Tigers. Bean asked about his immediate expectations, and Joiner didn’t hold back.

“Just to come in and play early,” he told AL.com. “Then, maybe become the next Saquon Barkley, hopefully. I want to win the Heisman.”

Barkley didn’t quite win the Heisman, but he was the consensus best running back in the nation last season at went No. 2 overall in the 2018 NFL Draft. If Joiner is able to accomplish that feat, he’d be just the fourth Tiger to take home college football’s most prestigious award. Pat Sullivan, Bo Jackson and Cam Newton came before him.

Auburn will have plenty of available reps in the backfield this season. Kerryon Johnson was selected in the NFL draft over the weekend, and Kamryn Pettway also turned pro. But Joiner won’t be on campus until this summer, so it might be tough for him to get on the field regularly as a true freshman.

Listed at 6-foot-3, 218 pounds, Joiner has the frame and skillset to play multiple positions across Auburn’s offense. That versatility should help him in his quest to play in 2018.

“I want to win the Most Versatile award,” Joiner told AL.com. “I just want to do everything, and I know I have to work hard for it. I definitely want to play my first year.”

Above all else, Joiner seems eager to help the Tigers win football games this fall.

“Hopefully, I’ll be used as a slot and running back, maybe some receiver,” he told AL.com. “But whatever gets me the ball and whatever is best for the team.”

If Joiner plays up to his capabilities, which seemed to be a concern during his recruitment, I think he could be a very successful feature back.  The guy has the god given talent to do so.

The last big RB to win the Heisman was a man named Bo Jackson. Now if Harold can stay heathly and the OL open things up for him to run wild, who knows. Harold is big and should stronger and faster.

I like big running backs.  Joiner seems to have all the measurables.  Looking forward to watching him play.

I look forward to him and Whitlow.  Some of the moves Whitlow did at A day was great to see.  Yeah, I know it won't work against big SEC D's but at least he has that fire not to give up and I think in space he will leave people looking for their jocks....

218 is a good size, but he can hold much more on his frame. After 4 years in a college S&C program...he has the potential to look like a freak. I just hope he plays like one. 

IMO, It's not a good size for a RB. It is a good size for a Big Slot and, eventually with some added weight(20-25 lbs), a Joker TE.

Harold Joiner   6'3" 218

Nate Craig Myers   6'2  213

Evan Engram  6'3"   235

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

IMO, It's not a good size for a RB. It is a good size for a Big Slot and, eventually with some added weight(20-25 lbs), a Joker TE.

Harold Joiner   6'3" 218

Evan Engram  6'3"   235

Depends on his running style and JMO, if he is 218 now he will be 225 by September.    If he has the "slash" I see him as a pretty good 3rd and 3 back which always handy to have if your QB is not going to be able to do that. .

Not that many RBs over 6 foot tall but I'm betting that is because they get moved to WR or the line when they are still in HS.....and that is where they develop...which sounds like some folks at AU are thinking too.  If he in fact is a good WR, he has a chance to get the ball behind the first line of defenders and be matched up against smaller DBs......I'm thinking of those big guys at OM for example. 

I just hope he gets the opportunity and Gus gives him what he promised him. It will be all up to him then.

51 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

the first TE to ever win a Heisman

Or a split end who will block when he's not the primary receiver.....that would be nice to have... 

He won't win anything without a quality line to run behind. Right now that may be the biggest question, not these stable of good RBs we have waiting in the wings. Come on Coach Grimes, get those big uglies ready!!!!!!

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not that many RBs over 6 foot tall but I'm betting that is because they get moved to WR or the line when they are still in HS.....and that is where they develop...which sounds like some folks at AU are thinking too.  

It's because one of the key components of football is pad level and you're not going to win it very often as a 6'3 RB. IMO.

I was happy to hear Joiner talk about versatility. He's at least paying lip service to buying in and being a team guy. Best we can hope for right now. 

Are his grades in order? I guess we'll know in a few weeks?

18 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

The last big RB to win the Heisman was a man named Bo Jackson. Now if Harold can stay heathly and the OL open things up for him to run wild, who knows. Harold is big and should stronger and faster.

Rashaan Salaam 6' 1"  224 pounds

Eddie George 6' 3" 227 

Ricky Williams 5'10" 230

Ron Dayne 5'10" 240

Derrick Henry 6"3" 240

I know there was a lot of chatter about him not liking to make contact. Watching a lot of his tape I think that he is a type of player that scares a lot of coaches. His "ceiling" is really high but his "floor" is also really low. Hoping that he turns into a stud for us!

If I were Horton, Joiner's new nickname would officially be Heisman, and I would pull it out of my pocket every time he gave less than 100%.

That being said, I'm glad he has aspirations. It at least gives you the impression that he's ready to work.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's because one of the key components of football is pad level and you're not going to win it very often as a 6'3 RB. IMO.

I was happy to hear Joiner talk about versatility. He's at least paying lip service to buying in and being a team guy. Best we can hope for right now. 

Are his grades in order? I guess we'll know in a few weeks?

I imagine his grades are good if he’s talking about winning the heisman and such. Hopefully...

On 4/30/2018 at 6:51 PM, auburn4ever said:

Just shooting from the hip again...  Ron Dayne was a scat back.  Eddie George and Derrick Henry were both close to 6' 3" and 235, but hey you were closer to right on this post than most of your others.  And like you point out, Joiner "should stronger and faster".

Glad he has lofty goals.  Even more glad he realizes there is A LOT of blood, sweat, and tears between now and then.   That last statement was my favorite.  “Whatever gets me the ball and whatever is best for my team

10 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

What was Darren McFaddens size @ Ark?  

6'1 or 6'2...............wasnt Brandon Jacobs 6'4 240ish while at Auburn...

On 4/30/2018 at 7:06 PM, bigbird said:

Harold Joiner   6'3" 218

Evan Engram  6'3"   235

Depends on his speed, vision and cutting ability. If he can cut, use power, see the field well, ofc he can play at 6' 3".

Eric Dickerson Eddie George are just a few tall RBs who were great RBs in college and ofc the pros. 

Let's just wait and see how he looks on the field.

28 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Depends on his speed, vision and cutting ability. If he can cut, use power, see the field well, ofc he can play at 6' 3".

Eric Dickerson Eddie George are just a few tall RBs who were great RBs in college and ofc the pros. 

Let's just wait and see how he looks on the field.

Yes , in the history of the sport, there been 5 to 10 backs his size that have put it all together and been very effective.

Archived