Harold Joiner sets sights on Heisman

WFE12

44 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes , in the history of the sport, there been 5 to 10 backs his size that have put it all together and been very effective.

Of course, the question then arises, how many were given a shot before they were moved to tight end or receiver? 

16 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I imagine his grades are good if he’s talking about winning the heisman and such. Hopefully...

About to post................... lets get him into school first. 

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course, the question then arises, how many were given a shot before they were moved to tight end or receiver? 

It doesn't matter. We can only evaluate those that played the position and in doing so, you see far more taller backs struggle than succeed

Kid was great in HS. Had potential to break it on every carry. If he had a better line his numbers would have been crazy.  It will be interesting to see which position he lands at. We don't do much with TE's right now so I hope it's not there.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It doesn't matter. We can only evaluate those that played the position and in doing so, you see far more taller backs struggle than succeed

While I get what you are saying, if you take the broad scope of all college running backs, you also see far more of every size struggle than succeed, when success is measured at the high level it is in the SEC. It's all about percentages. If only 5-10 tall backs succeed, but when compared to the ones who were given the chance to try (because coaches immediately move them since they assume they won't) it ends up as a similar percentage to running backs overall, then it's a wash. I'm not saying this is the case, but I am saying without knowing how many are even given a shot, you can't make the blanket statement that they fare worse than all of the other backs who never become elite. 

Yes, the physics is in favor of smaller backs, with a lower center of gravity, but the fact is that very frequently players are pigeonholed by their measurements and don't get the opportunity to prove that they can play beyond them. See one of our best receivers having to walk on as a kicker, even though his high school numbers were stellar, as a prime example.

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I get what you are saying, if you take the broad scope of all college running backs, you also see far more of every size struggle than succeed, when success is measured at the high level it is in the SEC. It's all about percentages. If only 5-10 tall backs succeed, but when compared to the ones who were given the chance to try (because coaches immediately move them since they assume they won't) it ends up as a similar percentage to running backs overall, then it's a wash. I'm not saying this is the case, but I am saying without knowing how many are even given a shot, you can't make the blanket statement that they fare worse than all of the other backs who never become elite. 

Yes, the physics is in favor of smaller backs, with a lower center of gravity, but the fact is that very frequently players are pigeonholed by their measurements and don't get the opportunity to prove that they can play beyond them. See one of our best receivers having to walk on as a kicker, even though his high school numbers were stellar, as a prime example.

giphy.gif

Height and weight didn't seem to bother Derick Henry much. I knew he was trouble the first time I saw him run. You had to tackle that guy early because once he got into the secondary he was gone.

WDE

On 5/2/2018 at 11:00 AM, lionheartkc said:

I don't care if you are 4'2" tall or 6'4" tall. If you run upright like Joiner did in high school, you are going to get LIT UP. 

16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't care if you are 4'2" tall or 6'4" tall. If you run upright like Joiner did in high school, you are going to get LIT UP. 

No doubt. Fortunately we have 2 good running back coaches who can help him fix that, and if he really does want to win a Heisman, he'll put in the work necessary to make it happen.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just like ERic Dickerson and Eddie George did at 6' 3". I remember them being great backs and lit up whoever got in their way.

being tall and running tall doesnt tell if he will get lit up. He just has to make sure at running tall, he knows how to get down when needed and using his legs and shoulders.  

On 5/2/2018 at 9:09 AM, bigbird said:

Yes , in the history of the sport, there been 5 to 10 backs his size that have put it all together and been very effective.

And there have been 100's of 5' 10" 5' 11" 6' 0" around 195-210 who haven't been effective. and go by the wayside.

I am just saying, let's see how he runs, when he is on the field, and get's hit by SEC LBs.  It will end up being where GM wants to play him, and with their lack of TEs that can run the field, then they will move him there regardless if he can run tall bt the tackles and have success.

to answer someone's earlier question Brandon Jacobs was like 6'4" 250+. ginormous. 

maybe, perhaps, something like Harold equaling a Adrian Peterson, which is around 6'1'' 220. would be sweat. anyway yes his size and weight can be done. he could easily gain 10 lbs by the fall. but all depends on his running style. we will see. but very exciting nonetheless.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:30 AM, bg5 said:

Kid was great in HS. Had potential to break it on every carry. If he had a better line his numbers would have been crazy.  It will be interesting to see which position he lands at. We don't do much with TE's right now so I hope it's not there.

We haven't used a TE because we haven't really had a huge amount of talent at the position in recent years. 

Jalen Harris is a good blocker but has never exactly been a threat to catch the ball. We signed one kid who was thought to be the fix to the issue, and he wound up getting kicked out of school for raping a girl (or not,) either way, he was removed from the school. Then we signed Sal. Sal lined up more at WR but even then had hands lined with butter and couldn't do what we signed him to do (catch the ball.) 

If Joiner ends up there, he could be the piece we have been missing at the position. 

Joiner was the recruit I wanted the most out of this past class. It looked for the longest we had no chance to get him. But we did. I hope he becomes all world for us, even if he is a hybrid that plays RB, FB, HB, TE, and WR. I think Malzahn sold him on the Charles Clay game plan, and I'd be as happy as a possum eating persimmons if he became a do all like Clay did in his days under Malzahn.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

We haven't used a TE because we haven't really had a huge amount of talent at the position in recent years. 

Jalen Harris is a good blocker but has never exactly been a threat to catch the ball. We signed one kid who was thought to be the fix to the issue, and he wound up getting kicked out of school for raping a girl (or not,) either way, he was removed from the school. Then we signed Sal. Sal lined up more at WR but even then had hands lined with butter and couldn't do what we signed him to do (catch the ball.) 

If Joiner ends up there, he could be the piece we have been missing at the position. 

Joiner was the recruit I wanted the most out of this past class. It looked for the longest we had no chance to get him. But we did. I hope he becomes all world for us, even if he is a hybrid that plays RB, FB, HB, TE, and WR. I think Malzahn sold him on the Charles Clay game plan, and I'd be as happy as a possum eating persimmons if he became a do all like Clay did in his days under Malzahn.

Now, it's a matter if GM actually does what he says he will do with this type position.

Archived