Men schedule series with North Carolina State

WarTiger

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050218aaa.html

May 2, 2018

AUBURN, Ala. – The Auburn men’s basketball team will play a home-and-home series with NC State with the first meeting set to take place next season.

The Tigers will travel to Raleigh, N.C. to face the Wolfpack at PNC Arena Dec. 19, 2018, before hosting NC State at Auburn Arena at a date to be determined in 2019.

“We’re really excited to start a series against such a storied program in NC State,” head coach Bruce Pearl said. “I’ve known Kevin Keatts for a long time and he’s an outstanding young coach. For our players to go to Tobacco Road and play in Raleigh will be a great experience, and we’re excited to have them come back the following year to Auburn Arena.”

Auburn has met with NC State eight times on the hardwood with the Wolfpack holding a 5-3 advantage in the all-time series. The two teams have met just one time in the last 43 years as NC State defeated Auburn 60-58 in a neutral-site game in Dayton, Ohio during the 2009-10 campaign.

With NC State making the 2018 NCAA Tournament, the Tigers will add another quality opponent to their non-conference schedule for the 2018-19 season.

Auburn is also set to take part in the prestigious Maul Invitational this fall and is joined by Arizona, Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, San Diego State and Xavier in the tournament field.

spacer.gif

AWESOME!!! Love how bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce continues to add name programs to our schedule and get them to come to Auburn Arena! Another great job bruce!!!!!! Man The Lebo and Barbee years were some dark days trying to get teams like this come to AU. Bruce really has changed absolutely everything about our program in a fantastic way! WAR EAGLE!

More exposure to top level teams also means more exposure to recruits. Bruce really knows how to build a program.

As a resident of Raleigh I've already started camping out for my tickets

Here's a little blast from the past, for your mid-week amusement:

We've done this before with NC State. Way back when, we played up there the first year, Wally Tinker was a senior and the 6'3" Tinker was matched up against NC State's 6' 10" Owens. As per his usual style, Tinker put a bunch of scratches and bruises on his opponent but it the end, 6' 10" was just too much to overcome.

So next season rolls around and I'm sitting in BEMC one row behind the now graduated Tinker and two rows from the floor, right in front of the N C State bench. At the first timeout of the game, as the State players gather in front of us to listen to their coach, Tinker stands up, points and yells at Owens until he gets his attention, then shouts: "Hey Owens! I hate you!".

I graduated in the same class as Tinker. The U of Tennessee president gave our commencement address and announced us as we walked up to get our diplomas. He announced Tinker as "The guy with six elbows". Such it was, back in them good ol' days. :)

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'm in Winston Salem and I know @triangletiger and @doc4aday are excited too

I live in the Charlotte area now, but will try to get tickets for myself and my two oldest sons.  I work with a lot of NC State grads.

Archived