Timetables for injured players

WFE12

Auburn football: Latest timetables for 7 injured Tigers heading into summer

unnamed-2_xmqvos.jpg
By Justin Ferguson, Auburn Beat Reporter

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — It’s finals week on the Plains, which means Auburn football will soon be hitting the field and weight room for summer workouts. But not all Tigers will be ready to roll.

Auburn left spring practice with several health concerns — most notably quarterback Jarrett Stidham’s continued recovery from surgery, veteran receivers Eli Stove and Will Hastings’ ACL tears and safety Jeremiah Dinson’s A-Day game shoulder injury.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn met with reporters Wednesday evening before the start of his annual summer Ambush speaking tour across the Southeast. Malzahn provided updates on seven injured Tigers. Here’s where they stand right now, and what Malzahn said about their recoveries.

MORE: Spring King: CB Christian Tutt is ‘real pleasant surprise’ for Auburn football

Auburn football-Auburn-Auburn Tigers-Jarrett Stidham-injury update-injury report
Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham threw in an abbreviated 7-on-7 session during A-Day. (Todd Van Emst/Auburn Athletics)

QB Jarrett Stidham

Injury: Left shoulder (2017 season, underwent surgery in January)

Expected return: Early summer

What Malzahn said: “He could’ve done a little bit more the last week of spring, we just didn’t want to take any chances. We wanted to be cautious with that, but he’ll be back ready to go when we come back.”

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Jeremiah Dinson-injury report-Auburn injury report-Auburn spring game-A Day game
Auburn defensive back Jeremiah Dinson left the A-Day spring game with a shoulder injury that required surgery. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

DB Jeremiah Dinson

Injury: Right shoulder (April)

Expected return: Fall camp

What Malzahn said: “We feel like he’ll be ready by the time fall camp starts. He’s a veteran guy; that’s the good thing about it, and even if we need to take a little bit off of him in fall camp, he’s the type that can do that. He’s the leader back there, and I’ve said this before, he’s like a coach on the field. The fact that he had an injury—he’s had one before, he knows how to deal with it, knows how to come back, but he’s very positive. Rehab’s going very well, and we expect him to be back for fall camp.”

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Will Hastings
Auburn wide receiver Will Hastings tore his ACL in March. (Wade Rackley/Auburn Athletics)

WRs Eli Stove and Will Hastings

Injuries: Torn ACLs (March)

Expected return: Unknown

What Malzahn said: “Those are the two that we’re hopeful that we can get them back for the season sometime. We’ll just have to wait and see. Once we get to July, we’ll know a little bit more with those two guys. The great thing about it is both of them have positive attitudes, they’re very good conditioned athletes, so we’ll see.”

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Auburn spring practice-Daquan Newkirk
Auburn defensive tackle Daquan Newkirk missed all of spring practice.(Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

DT Daquan Newkirk

Injury: Torn Achilles tendon (February)

Expected return: Fall camp

What Malzahn said: “The rehab is going very well. It’s a little bit different injury with the Achilles, so we’ll know more once we get into July, but so far, so good up to this point.”

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Kaleb Kim-center-Auburn center
Auburn center Kaleb Kim made great strides in the spring before an ankle injury. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

C Kaleb Kim

Injury: Right ankle (March)

Expected return: Early summer

What Malzahn said: “Kaleb’s was a little less serious; we think he’ll be back here really quick to start working with the weights, conditioning and all that.”

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Nick Brahms-injury-spring practice
Auburn offensive lineman Nick Brahms suffered a leg injury late in spring camp. (Justin Ferguson/SEC Country)

C Nick Brahms

Injury: Broken lower leg (March)

Expected return: Late summer

What Malzahn said: “We feel like he’ll be back right before fall camp.”

Good news on both fronts but the torn ACLs might not be that quick to heal. Usually 6-9 months.

It would probably be in their best interest to medical redshirt at this point. Which, all things considered, wouldn't be the end of the world for either party.

Saw an article on ESPN the other day with early top 25 rankings.  They had us at 19th due to the reason we lost Stove and Hastings.  Personally I'm excited to see what other receivers step up and fill those roles.

I thought Brodarious Hamm’s A Day injury might be serious so I’m glad to see he’s not on this list. I hate to see Stove and Hastings hurt, but we’ve got some very talented freshman coming. I hope at least 1 or 2 of them are able to contribute early. 

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

Good news on both fronts but the torn ACLs might not be that quick to heal. Usually 6-9 months.

It would probably be in their best interest to medical redshirt at this point. Which, all things considered, wouldn't be the end of the world for either party.

"Medical Redshirt" only applies to players that are requesting a sixth year of eligibility. Up until then, it's simply a year in which they didn't play. When year six approaches and the player has only used three seasons of participation time, he can petition for a prior year to be considered a medical redshirt.

That's unless there has been a recent rule change that I'm not aware of.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

"Medical Redshirt" only applies to players that are requesting a sixth year of eligibility. Up until then, it's simply a year in which they didn't play. When year six approaches and the player has only used three seasons of participation time, he can petition for a prior year to be considered a medical redshirt.

That's unless there has been a recent rule change that I'm not aware of.

Understood, thanks Mikey!

Archived