Greene VS Jacobs

Anyone hear anything as to  how AD Greene is running the athletic department? Leadership style vs Jacobs?  Any small or large changes he has made?  How to employees like him?  Has he done any fundraising yet?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Jacobs again at Bo Bikes Bama. Don't recall seeing Greene, but he might have been there. Lots of folks. Would have been a good opportunity to mingle.

8 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Anyone hear anything as to  how AD Greene is running the athletic department? Leadership style vs Jacobs?  Any small or large changes he has made?  How to employees like him?  Has he done any fundraising yet?

Interesting topic to bring up. I don't know anything about it but I still feel a lot better knowing Jacobs isn't in charge.

When is this happening? Will it be boxing rules or more MMA style? How much do you think they'll charge for the PPV? You know they're totally gonna charge way too much for the PPV. I do respect Jacobs for being a good sport about it, though. #allin

I heard Greene steals peoples lunches from the fridge.  Never a good move.

The only thing I've heard so far is that he is still in the learning phase, trying to get to know Auburn, so there hasn't been a lot to assess so far.

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Greene definitely has more swag

This is for damn sure. If I'm putting someone out there as the face of my university's athletic department, from a pure photo-op standpoint, Greene wins hands down. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

When is this happening? Will it be boxing rules or more MMA style? How much do you think they'll charge for the PPV? You know they're totally gonna charge way too much for the PPV. I do respect Jacobs for being a good sport about it, though. #allin

I'll put all of my savings down on Greene winning! Who is taking the bets?

“Auburn Athletic Director Allen Greene has been on the job for less than four months, but his tenure has gotten off to a strong start, highlighted by a national championship and two SEC titles…

Still, the successes of the past four months were seeded by former AD Jay Jacobs. But it's hard to imagine how Greene's tenure could have gotten off to a better start.”

A (necessarily) brief, but relevant (?) report card recently appeared at:

https://www.auburnvillager.com/sports/greene-s-tenure-as-athletic-director-off-to-strong-start/article_48ebe41c-4ee2-11e8-bf88-8b03732a8c01.html

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Jacobs is going for the Rock'em Sock'em Robots type match using these guys. 

r4_apollo_m.jpg

r5_tgunn_m.jpg

58 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Jacobs is going for the Rock'em Sock'em Robots type match using these guys. 

r4_apollo_m.jpg

r5_tgunn_m.jpg

I say they both hire someone to fight for them...

That's the true test

I've heard Mr. Greene works very hard when it comes to fundraising. Allen Greene is a great replacement for JJ.

I knew this would turn into a gif cage match the second I read the op!

On 5/4/2018 at 12:18 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Greene is somebody that's gonna bring in alot of recruits just off his personality. Thats all I have to say tbh

I am just happy to have new blood running the athletic department.  There are a lot of jokes but really I would just like to know what people have heard.  Also I figured his would be something more fun to talk about than a Gus bashing thread.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:18 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Greene is somebody that's gonna bring in alot of recruits just off his personality. Thats all I have to say tbh

Does the AD recruit?  never heard of that?  

44 minutes ago, AU64 said:

News to me too. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Having a male figure that young black males can look up to sure does help. And yes I am black. It’s not a whole lot of us in these type of roles.

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

Having a male figure that young black males can look up to sure does help. And yes I am black. It’s not a whole lot of us in these type of roles.

Agree

Greene's history will write itself.  He definitely seems to have the passion for the job, and that can help a lot toward setting himself up for success.  He's also gotten his first hire under his belt so he's beginning to set the groundwork on what will be his legacy at AU.

The whole arguments over the AD the past few years never really interested me, maybe because I wasn't privy to a lot of the information that insiders said was supposedly going on within the department and administrative stuff is boring to me.  But I never understood how a guy could get so much flak for bringing the likes of a Bruce Pearl, Butch Thompson, and Clint Myers to campus.  That said, football is king, both in fanaticism and $$$, so maybe the Chizik (who everyone disliked the hire of) to Malzahn (who if I remember correctly was lauded wildly by AU people because of 2010) gambles ultimately led the public opinion to sour on him.  Regardless, I don't have a problem with either guy currently, so I don't have a reason to believe Auburn Athletics isn't in good hands.

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

Agree...but I think for the most part AU has made it a point to find coaches who can represent the university well.....as a role model for athletes....and with ability to run a multi-million dollar business.   

And I like role model players too....guys like KJ for example..... as we can see from that video series posted elsewhere.    Greene definitely has the spark but with some of the comments about his first hire (swimming) he's gonna learn quickly what a fickle bunch AU fans can be. ?

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree...but I think for the most part AU has made it a point to find coaches who can represent the university well.....as a role model for athletes....and with ability to run a multi-million dollar business.   

And I like role model players too....guys like KJ for example..... as we can see from that video series posted elsewhere.    Greene definitely has the spark but with some of the comments about his first hire (swimming) he's gonna learn quickly what a fickle bunch AU fans can be. ?

Auburn can do whatever they like. I am speaking from a point of a minority, growing up a minority and being around a bunch of minorities. It is nice to see a fellow black male in a position like this and I encourage Greene to use his position and skills set to encourage other minorities not to limit themselves in certain categories. People don’t want to hear it but it’s the truth.

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

all fans are fickle we're no different?

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

Auburn can do whatever they like. I am speaking from a point of a minority, growing up a minority and being around a bunch of minorities. It is nice to see a fellow black male in a position like this and I encourage Greene to use his position and skills set to encourage other minorities not to limit themselves in certain categories. People don’t want to hear it but it’s the truth.

Exactly. It's one thing to be told you can be anything and it's another to see the possibility 1st hand.  

Archived