Greene VS Jacobs

34 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

all fans are fickle we're no different?

sure we are....though maybe I just have the wrong friends...I have good friends from UNC, Clemson, USCe and a few other schools and .most care about their primary sport.....basketball or football and that's about it...but I don't track all the blogs and such where the fanatics hang out so maybe it's different there.    .

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, DAG said:

Auburn can do whatever they like. I am speaking from a point of a minority, growing up a minority and being around a bunch of minorities. It is nice to see a fellow black male in a position like this and I encourage Greene to use his position and skills set to encourage other minorities not to limit themselves in certain categories. People don’t want to hear it but it’s the truth.

I appreciate that and having good minority role models is serious business and I'm glad AU has people like Alan Greene....and TRob and Chet to provide some good direction to the athletes who arrive here.   Despite some complaints when one of our guys was being Baptized in the pool a while back, my heart was moved by that event and friends who gathered to share his special moment.   He was the beneficiary of some good role modeling.....and I feel confident that he will go out into the world after leaving Auburn and be a role model for others.     

He entertains me on Twitter...why is this relevant? Because I think he can relate to the  college students and that’s important. 

2 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

He's made his first hire... Let's hope swimming improves.  

Jacobs burned some bridges.... he had this too big to  fail mentality.  I really  want to watch Greene over the next five year.  I am hopeful. I am not saying Greene is the answer, he may not be,  but we needed a change and I am rooting for him.  I love Auburn. I miss Auburn. I want Greene to succeed.  WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!   

20 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Jacobs burned some bridges.... he had this too big to  fail mentality.  I really  want to watch Greene over the next five year.  I am hopeful. I am not saying Greene is the answer, he may not be,  but we needed a change and I am rooting for him.  I love Auburn. I miss Auburn. I want Greene to succeed.  WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!   

I feel it.  Just hope the swimming program does not become the first revolving door.  

On 5/5/2018 at 7:36 PM, DAG said:

Auburn can do whatever they like. I am speaking from a point of a minority, growing up a minority and being around a bunch of minorities. It is nice to see a fellow black male in a position like this and I encourage Greene to use his position and skills set to encourage other minorities not to limit themselves in certain categories. People don’t want to hear it but it’s the truth.

It's crazy to think about how many talented people never go anywhere because it never occurs to them that they can or should. 

I hope Greene continues to do a great job for Auburn. There's a whole lot of win in it for everyone. 

I hope for great success from Greene whether he is black pink or polka dotted.  I don't see color.  He seemed to come highly recommended from his peers.  

Jay was/is an Auburn man to his very core.  Plus he did a decent job as AD and make some really good hires or what to appeared to be homerun hires at the time.  I thank him for his time served but it was time for a change.  The softball situation was the last strike against him.  

@DAG I'm glad you find some comfort in a fellow of the same race is moving up in the world.  But again that view should never be the case regardless of black white or whatever.  Hire the most qualified person.  If Greene was hired because he can relate to the black athlete what does that say for his ability to do the job and also to white or even female athletes.  Rant on - we are to divided in this country (in this world) divided by skin color, divided by socioeconomic status, divide by gender, religion, it's tribalism at its worst.  We are all humans that come in different shapes sizes and colors.  Find someone you love and be happy.  Find a career/job that you are passionate about and make the best of it.  Over 90 percent of Americans fall into the same categories essentially.  - Rant off.   DAG I got much love for you brother.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I hope for great success from Greene whether he is black pink or polka dotted.  I don't see color.  He seemed to come highly recommended from his peers.  

Jay was/is an Auburn man to his very core.  Plus he did a decent job as AD and make some really good hires or what to appeared to be homerun hires at the time.  I thank him for his time served but it was time for a change.  The softball situation was the last strike against him.  

@DAG I'm glad you find some comfort in a fellow of the same race is moving up in the world.  But again that view should never be the case regardless of black white or whatever.  Hire the most qualified person.  If Greene was hired because he can relate to the black athlete what does that say for his ability to do the job and also to white or even female athletes.  Rant on - we are to divided in this country (in this world) divided by skin color, divided by socioeconomic status, divide by gender, religion, it's tribalism at its worst.  We are all humans that come in different shapes sizes and colors.  Find someone you love and be happy.  Find a career/job that you are passionate about and make the best of it.  Over 90 percent of Americans fall into the same categories essentially.  - Rant off.   DAG I got much love for you brother.  

Well, I agree that race, gender or creed should never be the reason for a hire nor do I think our perspective AD got such a position because of so. However, I must say that race/gender cannot and should not be ignored, especially in terms of social contexts. The fact of the matter is, African - Americans dominate the games of basketball and football, yet we do not see 1). A high volume of African American Head coaches in these positions & 2). A high volume of African Americans in positions such as NFL commissioner or NBA commissioner. Everyone has there reasons for it, but I am of the opinion that, you absolutely should embrace the idea of someone from a minority background breaking down the social constraints or rather “norms” of society. This should not be suppressed but rather acknowledged as a pillar and step forward for others to be able to have those dreams.

Believe it or not, prior to Obama becoming president, I am of the mindset that many of my fellow African Americans could not fathom the idea of a black/mix male become president of the United States, no matter how much credentials that person may have had. Now I can say when I have children, you absolutely can become president because we have seen it occur. Frankly, it is sad that it has taken this long. The same will apply when Becky Hammond becomes the first female NBA head coach. She should absolutely be acknowledged and embraced due to the fact that it is the first step to breaking down a “norm” in our society. To marginalize this idea, I feel would be a disservice to what we stand for as a country (not saying you are doing this). Believe it or not, we are very diverse and if more people would be open to understand each other’s diversity and how such a diversity can actually empower us to move forward better and stronger, we wouldn’t have so much conflict. Anywho, this is more a social/political rant. Back to our swaggy AD.

14 hours ago, corchjay said:

If Greene was hired because he can relate to the black athlete

I don't think anyone's saying that we should have hired Greene because he's African-American. Only that it's a good thing in some important ways.

If we had hired a female AD, we'd be having a similar conversation, as @DAG alluded to with the basketball coach. There are further corollaries with recent presidential elections. 

14 hours ago, corchjay said:

Rant on - we are to divided in this country (in this world) divided by skin color, divided by socioeconomic status, divide by gender, religion, it's tribalism at its worst.  We are all humans that come in different shapes sizes and colors.  Find someone you love and be happy.  Find a career/job that you are passionate about and make the best of it.  Over 90 percent of Americans fall into the same categories essentially.  - Rant off.

Really, this is the first domino. And "firsts" like the Greene hire get us closer to the reality of what you're wishing for here, which I think we all agree with and also wish for. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think anyone's saying that we should have hired Greene because he's African-American. Only that it's a good thing in some important ways.

If we had hired a female AD, we'd be having a similar conversation, as @DAG alluded to with the basketball coach. There are further corollaries with recent presidential elections. 

Really, this is the first domino. And "firsts" like the Greene hire get us closer to the reality of what you're wishing for here, which I think we all agree with and also wish for. 

Let's look at reality... in 2017 there were 14 black head coaches I think that's about 11 or 12% of coaches in FBS.  The black population in America is around 13% so that number is in line with the percentages.  There are 15 black AD's in FBS.  Again right in line with the population.  So as I stated before I see no color.  I judge a man or woman on the merit of their character and in my opinion thinking that we benefit from having an African-American AD will be able to relate more to the black athlete is completely off target IMO.  As I also stated before, what about the white athlete, the Asian,  Hispanic, etc...Should they not have a someone to relate to them?

The travesty of college athletics at the FBS schools is this, around 87 percent of white athletes get degrees black athletes are around 68 percent.  In mens basket ball it white players 93 percent and black players 74 percent.  

And again... We are and we should be at a point in society that we don't look at race to even mention that AD Greene's race is a benefit is hypocritical in the face of all men and women are equal.  I truly believe that.  

And the socioeconomic status comment is/was directed at myself.  I grew up dirt poor.  Like poor poor.  I started working as a brick mason helper at age 11 to be able to buy "cool" clothes.  I did that until age 14 when I started working at the local gas station/grocery/feed store.  I worked there all through high school and some during college and after college on Sundays until I was 28 years old to make ends meet.  I worked my tail off academically and athletically to be able to get a baseball scholarship and also some academic money to offset tuition.  Nothing was given to me.  I worked 25-30 hours a week during high school.  Lifted weights, played football and baseball and kept my grades up.  I became the first college graduate of my family (my oldest brother would have been the first but passed away before graduating his senior year).  My determination encouraged 3 of my siblings to go back to school and get their degrees as well.   To give you an idea of how poor.  I'm one of 7 children, my parents total income per year in the 70s and 80s when I was coming up was less then $22k with 7 kids. So anyone that uses any excuse of what they were born into I have no compassion or pity for.  It's a choice to change your situation if you really want to and AD Greene may or may not be an example of that.  Not sure about his back ground enough.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Let's look at reality... in 2017 there were 14 black head coaches I think that's about 11 or 12% of coaches in FBS.  The black population in America is around 13% so that number is in line with the percentages.  There are 15 black AD's in FBS.  Again right in line with the population.  So as I stated before I see no color.  I judge a man or woman on the merit of their character and in my opinion thinking that we benefit from having an African-American AD will be able to relate more to the black athlete is completely off target IMO.  As I also stated before, what about the white athlete, the Asian,  Hispanic, etc...Should they not have a someone to relate to them?

The travesty of college athletics at the FBS schools is this, around 87 percent of white athletes get degrees black athletes are around 68 percent.  In mens basket ball it white players 93 percent and black players 74 percent.  

And again... We are and we should be at a point in society that we don't look at race to even mention that AD Greene's race is a benefit is hypocritical in the face of all men and women are equal.  I truly believe that.  

And the socioeconomic status comment is/was directed at myself.  I grew up dirt poor.  Like poor poor.  I started working as a brick mason helper at age 11 to be able to buy "cool" clothes.  I did that until age 14 when I started working at the local gas station/grocery/feed store.  I worked there all through high school and some during college and after college on Sundays until I was 28 years old to make ends meet.  I worked my tail off academically and athletically to be able to get a baseball scholarship and also some academic money to offset tuition.  Nothing was given to me.  I worked 25-30 hours a week during high school.  Lifted weights, played football and baseball and kept my grades up.  I became the first college graduate of my family (my oldest brother would have been the first but passed away before graduating his senior year).  My determination encouraged 3 of my siblings to go back to school and get their degrees as well.   To give you an idea of how poor.  I'm one of 7 children, my parents total income per year in the 70s and 80s when I was coming up was less then $22k with 7 kids. So anyone that uses any excuse of what they were born into I have no compassion or pity for.  It's a choice to change your situation if you really want to and AD Greene may or may not be an example of that.  Not sure about his back ground enough.  

Don't even know where to start so I won't. Congrats on your preparation meeting opportunity.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't even know where to start so I won't. Congrats on your preparation meeting opportunity.

Then why comment?  And I don't understand the last portion was it a backhanded compliment?  Like by some miracle that opportunity arose out of no where or because I was of some group?

I honestly would like to know a counter argument to the points I was making.  

28 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Then why comment?  And I don't understand the last portion was it a backhanded compliment?  Like by some miracle that opportunity arose out of no where or because I was of some group?

I honestly would like to know a counter argument to the points I was making.  

I'll maybe respond tomorrow when I'm at a keyboard. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'll maybe respond tomorrow when I'm at a keyboard. 

You shouldn't because the point of the post was either completely missed or this person already has their mind made up. Several people on the forum have at the very least acknowledged another perspective. At this point, if an individual has their mind made up about a situation, there is no point on even carrying on the conversation. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

You shouldn't because the point of the post was either completely missed or this person already has their mind made up. Several people on the forum have at the very least acknowledged another perspective. At this point, if an individual has their mind made up about a situation, there is no point on even carrying on the conversation. 

I believe it's the other way around.  

What point did I miss?  That some are proud we hired an African American as the AD?  I got that point but didn't see the benefit to the job of being any particular race and factually proved that the employment of football coaches and ADs follow the percentages of the population.  Only people that want to see race see race.  That was not the case 50, 75, 200, 400, 3000 years ago.    

I also think it's a very important conversation.  Maybe I'm just the only one with balls enough to actually speak the truth without an agenda.  

rt.gif

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

I believe it's the other way around.  

What point did I miss?  That some are proud we hired an African American as the AD?  I got that point but didn't see the benefit to the job of being any particular race and factually proved that the employment of football coaches and ADs follow the percentages of the population.  Only people that want to see race see race.  That was not the case 50, 75, 200, 400, 3000 years ago.    

I also think it's a very important conversation.  Maybe I'm just the only one with balls enough to actually speak the truth without an agenda.  

It has nothing to do with being proud. Again you are missing the point, but like I said I am done entertaining you on this thread . Several posters understand the perspective without getting all personal. Now if you want to get personal, let's take it to the PMs because quite frankly I don't want to shift this conversation from Greene And based on the energy you are bringing to this thread, It pretty much will go that route. On the other hand before that, you presented some really good points that I agree with.

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

rt.gif

War damn and thanks for letting me borrow this for the moment.

@corchjay @DAG, in no particular order.

I gave you both Likes.

Corch you're right. If we, as Americans, would all quit seeing color as a motivation for anything and just be fellow people, this would be a better place.  Growing up and running around rural Ga, I saw plenty of the "have-nots" in all races.  Bad circumstances are not unique to one color, Creed, gender, etc, no matter what politicians, activists or the media would have us believe. Your story is an inspiration and I admire you.

DAG I appreciate where you're coming from.  I didn't read your posts as necessarily good or bad for Auburn but rather from a perspective that you're familiar with knowing young people NEED a positive example and role model.  Also, I don't sense any "us against them" in your words.  Just a positive message that really anybody can latch onto. I admire you.

I think you're both right.  No need in any argument.

Now... Back to athletics.  War Eagle!

Like @DAG said, not acknowledging race or gender would be a disservice and if we’re being honest, some people legitimately won’t understand that. 

Archived