Greene VS Jacobs

Yep....not many ADs run their big dollar sports programs......technically I guess they are the boss but Nick and Coach K and Harbaugh and go down the list of coaches making millions every year and you will find lots of mostly autonomous programs where AD has somewhat limited impact.  It's a tough job telling those power coaches what they can or can't do.... unless you have some Board members and the Pres on your side. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yep....not many ADs run their big dollar sports programs......technically I guess they are the boss but Nick and Coach K and Harbaugh and go down the list of coaches making millions every year and you will find lots of mostly autonomous programs where AD has somewhat limited impact.  It's a tough job telling those power coaches what they can or can't do.... unless you have some Board members and the Pres on your side. 

In the case of most of coaches, autonomy is written into their contract. You have two choices, let them do what they want or fire them.

Now word arrives that JJ has gone to the Gators as an Associate AD? He is getting the biggest retirement in the history of State of Alabama employees ($540 k) and he needs another job?  WTF?

24 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Now word arrives that JJ has gone to the Gators as an Associate AD? He is getting the biggest retirement in the history of State of Alabama employees ($540 k) and he needs another job?  WTF?

Is he even 60 yet? $540k is not some massive golden parachute that will secure financial freedom for future Jacobs generations. Why on earth would he not take a paycheck for another few years at least? 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Is he even 60 yet? $540k is not some massive golden parachute that will secure financial freedom for future Jacobs generations. Why on earth would he not take a paycheck for another few years at least? 

I'm pretty sure it's $540K per year, not $540K total.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You are correct... assuming AL.com is correct:

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/former_auburn_athletic_directo.html

"Jacobs was named athletic director emeritus following his departure on Jan. 31, after which he was replaced by Allen Greene, and was in line to earn $540,000 annually in state retirement, Alabama's largest state retirement ever, according to a Retirement Systems of Alabama employee."

50 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Oh, in that case, I don't know who's dumber, me or JJ. Apologies/thanks.

(Really, though, he can still pull in some serious bank before hanging it up at a very reasonable age. And people don't get to such high level positions without a general desire to stay busy.)

Good for Jay Jacobs. He had has fallacies but I thank him for at least leaving us with our male sports competitive. I know a lot of you would want to burn me at the stake for that comment.

Wonder how many things UF needed help to cover up. JJ is the right person to keep things covered up.

3 hours ago, weagl1 said:

BAHAHAHAHA............ Florida is doomed!

I was thrilled to see Meredith Jenkins getting her walking papers. I bet she'll join JJ at Florida.

22 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Among those let go were chief communications officer Ward Swift, senior associate athletic directors Bernard Hill and David Mines, senior women's administrator Meredith Jenkins and chief revenue officer Michael McBride, the source said.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/6_auburn_athletics_adminstrato.html#incart_river_index

I don't know a lot about the ins-and-outs of that group but I'm pleased to see this. 

No telling what the future holds but at least it's not just more of the same.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I don't know a lot about the ins-and-outs of that group but I'm pleased to see this. 

No telling what the future holds but at least it's not just more of the same.

There's more who need to go IMO but this is a decent start.

Just now, RunInRed said:

I've heard for a while that it's a bloated department. I'm sure there's a lot of diligence to the process but I really like Greene overall.

21 hours ago, Zeek said:

I've heard for a while that it's a bloated department. I'm sure there's a lot of diligence to the process but I really like Greene overall.

Bloated not the word how bout obese

22 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Gotta take it slow so there are no stories about the "blood bath" and whatever made up reason the media can fabricate for it.

Greene is light years ahead of Jacobs and is the upgrade we needed for an AD. He got Coach Pearl taken care of. I think if Jacobs was in charge, who knows what would have happened with keeping Coach Pearl for the long term. He made a good hire with the new Swimming Coach. The new swim coach has hired an all-star staff for his program and this will pay dividends with our program getting back to the elite level it was lacking with Coach Hawke.

If God forbid, Gus goes down the toilet, Greene would have no trouble letting him go and hiring a new HC.  I do not think Gus is going down the toilet any time soon and will be a long term successful coach. Just throwing that scenario out for discussion.

22 hours ago, Zeek said:

Being bloated is no fun!

16 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Greene is light years ahead of Jacobs and is the upgrade we needed for an AD. He got Coach Pearl taken care of. I think if Jacobs was in charge, who knows what would have happened with keeping Coach Pearl for the long term. He made a good hire with the new Swimming Coach. The new swim coach has hired an all-star staff for his program and this will pay dividends with our program getting back to the elite level it was lacking with Coach Hawke.

If God forbid, Gus goes down the toilet, Greene would have no trouble letting him go and hiring a new HC.  I do not think Gus is going down the toilet any time soon and will be a long term successful coach. Just throwing that scenario out for discussion.

I hope you are right, doc, but I think it's a premature assessment. We have no clue how good the swimming coach hire is and we haven't seen enough to judge much of anything else he did.

On the Gus front, I'm going to call shenanigans on that. Greene doesn't have any real clout, yet, and even the best AD is going to have trouble replacing a head football coach. There just aren't enough known commodities out there, and I would bet the farm that the majority of fans/donors don't want Auburn anywhere near Nick Saban paycheck level.

As for what Jacobs would have done with Pearl... he would have given him FAR too much money and a outrageous buy-out clause. That's what he does.

• 2 weeks later...

u9QQ4WB.jpg

Hidden behind a sign-in wall (for a few days) that I was unwilling to breach, this emerged over the weekend:

Re: funding of football facility.

' "With regards to that facility specifically, we continue to have talks about what makes the most sense and trying to figure out not only a plan but really putting something forth that we feel like is palatable for our fans," Greene told Auburn Undercover Tuesday outside a booster club event in Huntsville, Alabama.'

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-Tigers-athletics-director-Allen-Greene-Convincing-fans-is-key-to-building-new-football-facility-119008908/

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, lionheartkc said:

I hope you are right, doc, but I think it's a premature assessment. We have no clue how good the swimming coach hire is and we haven't seen enough to judge much of anything else he did.

On the Gus front, I'm going to call shenanigans on that. Greene doesn't have any real clout, yet, and even the best AD is going to have trouble replacing a head football coach. There just aren't enough known commodities out there, and I would bet the farm that the majority of fans/donors don't want Auburn anywhere near Nick Saban paycheck level.

As for what Jacobs would have done with Pearl... he would have given him FAR too much money and a outrageous buy-out clause. That's what he does.

Agree....and of course there is the issue of Coach Flo and the softball situation which seems to have been forgotten already.  Why not let things shake out for year or so and see what happens. 

And as for firing the head football coach, there are very few  Power 5 ADs who have that authority and while the AD's name may be on the termination notice, you can bet that he has gotten a "sign off" from a bunch of PTBs in  addition to the President.    But that's an issue for a different day.....I hope. 

Archived