Greene VS Jacobs

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Keep in mind though, they felt this way because they formulated the same opinions of Tot as so many of us fans.

This is the only thing I don't agree with. I was in Auburn at the time and was told many things by people who interacted with primarily Rane. I was told prior to it all going down that their issue wasn't with Bowden, it was with the fact that they wanted their guy coaching. Now, it might have had to do with Bowden not doing what they wanted him to (I didn't hear anything about that, but know it played a part in Tubb's near ouster).

The reason why I'm not positive all of the character rumors are true is that I was told that they weren't just going to get him fired, but were going to "run him out of town". That leads me to wonder if some things weren't made up to turn more people against him.

The absolute only reason I defend Bowden is because I hate the way the PTB have controlled Auburn football. Which brings us full circle back to why I'm so optimistic about Greene and glad Jacobs is gone even though he loved Auburn and was a good guy.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Proud Tiger said:

Lowder is very much alive. I see him around town every now and then. He is always friendly. Not the kind of evil person a lot of folks make him out to be. I don't agree with him on a lot of things but my attitude has always been if you don't like his meddling don't take his money. Same for the other GOBs.

I like JJ as a person and think he did a  good job improving facilities. But it was time for him to move on.

I had a chance to talk to Greene A-Day at the A-Club lunch. First impression very favorable. Just needs to get over his fascination with ND and learn a lot of folks in the South aren't big ND fans;D

I met Lowder at a couple Business School events and he was almost shy it seemed....did not come across as some power hungry bombast like a couple people on the Board that I could name today.    I always figured he had what he thought was the best interest for Auburn in his mind.....the definition of which might be up for discussion but he made a financial impact on the school in the academic areas which I greatly appreciate. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could be wrong but going after Petrino was a reaction to his time at AU and maybe before much about his character had been revealed.......but years later when some folks were wanting to give him a shot after Chiz....when lots was known about him from Arky and the Falcons.....that was inexcusable. JMO

I think you're right.  That was during his first stint at UL and the "bad stuff" didn't really come out til he was at Arky.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I met Lowder at a couple Business School events and he was almost shy it seemed....did not come across as some power hungry bombast like a couple people on the Board that I could name today.    I always figured he had what he thought was the best interest for Auburn in his mind.....the definition of which might be up for discussion but he made a financial impact on the school in the academic areas which I greatly appreciate. 

Based on my experience Lowder was/is the money guy with the business connections to manipulate the system. Rane was/is the bulldog who pushes their weight around.

My negative experience with Lowder was when I worked for a small web company. His company stuck it's nose in this little company's business and basically used mafia tactics to insure that the company fell into lockstep with what they wanted to happen in the state. In fact, every company I worked for in Alabama had one of 3 rich families connected to it in some way, whether the owner wanted it or not.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

This is the only thing I don't agree with. I was in Auburn at the time and was told many things by people who interacted with primarily Rane. I was told prior to it all going down that their issue wasn't with Bowden, it was with the fact that they wanted their guy coaching. Now, it might have had to do with Bowden not doing what they wanted him to (I didn't hear anything about that, but know it played a part in Tubb's near ouster).

The reason why I'm not positive all of the character rumors are true is that I was told that they weren't just going to get him fired, but were going to "run him out of town". That leads me to wonder if some things weren't made up to turn more people against him.

The absolute only reason I defend Bowden is because I hate the way the PTB have controlled Auburn football. Which brings us full circle back to why I'm so optimistic about Greene and glad Jacobs is gone even though he loved Auburn and was a good guy.

No issue here.  My statement you quoted, in and of itself, was obviously my opinion based on what I know/knew at the time.  The deep dark world of Behind the Scenes, I don't pretend to know.  As an actual student at the time, I admit you have more insight than me with regards to that world.

As for other stuff....Petrino, Tubbs, I agree with you.  Some shameful PTB history there.

And to bring it around back to the OP, yes, I'm very excited to see what Greene brings to AU in terms of fresh ideas.   .....as long as we all agree they're good for Auburn, of course. :big:

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Based on my experience Lowder was/is the money guy with the business connections to manipulate the system. Rane was/is the bulldog who pushes their weight around.

My negative experience with Lowder was when I worked for a small web company. His company stuck it's nose in this little company's business and basically used mafia tactics to insure that the company fell into lockstep with what they wanted to happen in the state. In fact, every company I worked for in Alabama had one of 3 rich families connected to it in some way, whether the owner wanted it or not.

I guess when you borrow substantial money from a big bank you have probably gained a partner whether you want one or not.  I'm sure it's not fun having someone second guess decisions or direct strategy. 

13 hours ago, DAG said:

Are you going to reference somebody ? At least do that if you are going to make that statement.

What reference do you need that shows he has zero experience being the athletic director at a division one school? If he had three or four years experience as an AD at a Troy or similar and did a great job, and then Auburn brought him in, I would be fine with it.

Get it?

5 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

You don’t need experience when you got swag.

Greene is young and has some impressive accomplishments. I think he’ll work out just fine. Lots of seasoned ADs in the country who have suffering programs.

Well taken though.

I sure hope so; would love to see it!

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

What reference do you need that shows he has zero experience being the athletic director at a division one school? If he had three or four years experience as an AD at a Troy or similar and did a great job, and then Auburn brought him in, I would be fine with it.

Get it?

Let's try this one more time because clearly, you don't GET IT

1). I didn't ask you for a reference about Greene's experience. I am very acquainted with Greene’s backstory. I did ask for you to reference somebody specifically who is extremely qualified, as you put it, that Auburn University should have hired.

2).  The University at Buffalo has been D-1 since 1998 so he does indeed have experience at the D-1 level.

3). Since you are NOT fine with it, again, go back to point 1.  At least throw out a couple of names, if you are going to have a concern about the original pick.

4). You didn't know point 2, which leads me to believe you didn't do a whole lot of reading about this AD search. If you did, you would've gotten the answer to your original concern.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Let's try this one more time because clearly, you don't GET IT

1). I didn't ask you for a reference about Greene's experience. I am very acquainted with Greene’s backstory. I did ask for you to reference somebody specifically who is extremely qualified, as you put it, that Auburn University should have hired.

2).  The University at Buffalo has been D-1 since 1998 so he does indeed have experience at the D-1 level.

3). Since you are NOT fine with it, again, go back to point 1.  At least throw out a couple of names, if you are going to have a concern about the original pick.

4). You didn't know point 2, which leads me to believe you didn't do a whole lot of reading about this AD search. If you did, you would've gotten the answer to your original concern.

Sigh ? 

20 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Not sure why but I thought he was in his upper 60's during the Dye years.  I didn't realize how young he was then.  But then, in the '80's I was a kid (graduated HS in '90), so everyone over 25 was "old" to me.  HaHa!

Same here HS86......25 year olds were old........for give me for hijacking..........I often wonder if kids still think that way?

On 5/24/2018 at 3:26 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lowder gets a bad rap. He is no where near the villain he is portrayed to be. He  had AU’s best interest with the things he did. 

We agree. Lowder, above all else, loves Auburn University and has made major financial contributions to areas not related to athletics.

• 2 weeks later...

Relevant here?

"Auburn coach Bruce Pearl receives contract extension through 2022-23 season"

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/report-auburn-coach-bruce-pearl-receives-contract-extension-through-2022-23-season

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Relevant here?

"Auburn coach Bruce Pearl receives contract extension through 2022-23 season"

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/report-auburn-coach-bruce-pearl-receives-contract-extension-through-2022-23-season

It made me wonder a bit how a JJ deal would have looked.   Assume everyone else had to have this cross their mind.   I feel like Auburn just found a mint copy of the Declaration of Independence at a garage sale for $1 with the deal Greene struck with Pearl.  also big changes coming as house cleaning is beginning

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

It made me wonder a bit how a JJ deal would have looked.   

What would JJ's look like?

A 4 year, 12 million dollar extension and then fired in two weeks

AD Green cleaning house today! Several administrators fired according to AL. Com article. I guess we can stop waiting for him to make some changes. I think it’s about time some of these folks were replaced!

39 minutes ago, toddc said:

AD Green cleaning house today! Several administrators fired according to AL. Com article. I guess we can stop waiting for him to make some changes. I think it’s about time some of these folks were replaced!

yep gotta agree

Meredith Jenkins was one of them. Don't see how she made it this long after her role in the softball fiasco. 

Among those let go were chief communications officer Ward Swift, senior associate athletic directors Bernard Hill and David Mines, senior women's administrator Meredith Jenkins and chief revenue officer Michael McBride, the source said.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/6_auburn_athletics_adminstrato.html#incart_river_index

55 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Among those let go were chief communications officer Ward Swift, senior associate athletic directors Bernard Hill and David Mines, senior women's administrator Meredith Jenkins and chief revenue officer Michael McBride, the source said.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/6_auburn_athletics_adminstrato.html#incart_river_index

Overhead.....sounds like a cost reduction move perhaps. 

Not really a surprise which people get fired by Greene. No surprises regarding the individuals. I'm a bit surprised that it took so long for him to take action.

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

Not really a surprise which people get fired by Greene. No surprises regarding the individuals. I'm a bit surprised that it took so long for him to take action.

Hasn't been there for very long and owes it to the people there to assess their work and not make snap judgments.   Firing someone, no matter what you think of them is a big deal and it needs to be done the right way...JMO    And could be an issue of contracts.....and end of the academic year too.  Looks like he's taking charge now and that's good. 

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hasn't been there for very long and owes it to the people there to assess their work and not make snap judgments.   Firing someone, no matter what you think of them is a big deal and it needs to be done the right way...JMO    And could be an issue of contracts.....and end of the academic year too.  Looks like he's taking charge now and that's good. 

Out of likes but well stated. 

On 5/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, AU-24 said:

Get it?

You do realize one of the biggest part of the AD's job is networking and fundraising , right? The face of the athletic department. Greene is as likable of an AD out there. It was awesome seeing him out in the crowd during basketball season loving life and cheering. He was also highly recommended by the inner circles of Athletic Departments. Also, few AD's have total control of everything revolving athletics, the board members and president have heavy influence in the decision-making.

Welp Greene just extended Flo's contract in WBB.  Not too sure about that move.  I guess this would be a similarity between he and Jacobs not a difference.

Archived