look at draft in relation to high school rankings.

Zeek

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

one of those do not belong with the other! dyer was a beast for us. back to back 1k yard seasons. bust off the field. Def not on it!

Man what he could have been...

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

We have had this debate for years & it has been broken down thoroughly & hasn't changed. As Zeek said in his OP they aren't the end all be all but they do unequivocally do matter on the maco level.

Breaking it down again.

Nearly 22% of 1st round picks were 5*s. (7 of 32)
A bit over 28% of 1st round picks were 4*s. (9 of 32)
Combined 50% of 1st round picks were 4 & 5*s. (16 of 32)

There were over 8,000 high school seniors & juco eligible recruits per the 247.com player search for the 2019 class. 8258 to be exact.
29 were 5*s. That means 0.3%, (not 3%) of the class were 5*s
365 were 4* recruits. That means 4.4% of the class were 4*s.
4 & 5*s combined for 4.7% of the class w/ the remaining 95.3% being 3*s or lower.

For 4 & 5*s only making up 4.7% of the class yet making up 50% of 1st round picks that's staggering. Even more staggering is the 5*s making up .3% of the class but being 22% of 1st round picks. That's insane & proves stars do matter...

giphy.gif

Someone is FEEEEEEEEEEEEELING themselves tonight!!! lol

drake.gif

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Man what he could have been...

Tell me about it! He was well on his way to being one of our all time greats!!! Yo did Calvin Ashley end up as a 5 star on any of the sites? We need him to get moving. AND SOON!

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Tell me about it! He was well on his way to being one of our all time greats!!! Yo did Calvin Ashley end up as a 5 star on any of the sites? We need him to get moving. AND SOON!

I believe he was a 5*

Seems like the Grad Transfer might make the wait for Ashley to develop a little longer. The comment from Grimes sounded like he knows the potential there but he needs the coaching.

I believe in Calvin!

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

one of those do not belong with the other! dyer was a beast for us. back to back 1k yard seasons. bust off the field. Def not on it!

Jovon and Duke were beasts at times as well while all of the listed had uncomfortable departures. 

The only on the field bust was Cowart.

8 hours ago, Zeek said:

I believe he was a 5*

247 and the composite because of where he ranked on all 3 sites.

8 hours ago, Zeek said:

Seems like the Grad Transfer might make the wait for Ashley to develop a little longer.

Not necessarily. Driscoll can play any one of at least 3 spots on the OL. If Calvin & Driscoll are 5 of the most productive OL both will play.

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Marlon was a 5 star on at least one site. Or I should say ended up a 5 star on at least one site. Rivals I believe it was. So I count him! As long as they are a 5 star on at least one site I count em. Same with 4 stars. WO WO WO!!! whatcha doing?! We get very few as it is! Why you trying to take 1 of our beloved 5 stars away from us?! lol. Nate Craig Myers was a 5 star for the longest time on rivals but ended up not being one in the final rankings :[. Kyle Davis I cannot remember what site it was but I believe he was a 5 star at one time as well. Just did not end up being a 5 star on any of the final rankings of the sites. 

They are all 5-stars, until websites see they commit/sign to Auburn and then they make them 4-stars.  It’s so rediculous.  It has to be a Georgia alum that runs those sites.  

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

247 and the composite because of where he ranked on all 3 sites.

Not necessarily. Driscoll can play any one of at least 3 spots on the OL. If Calvin & Driscoll are 5 of the most productive OL both will play.

Best 5 play mentality? I think I remember that discussion a while back when Grimes was here before. Would love for Calvin to get to start.

35 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

They are all 5-stars, until websites see they commit/sign to Auburn and then they make them 4-stars.  It’s so rediculous.  It has to be a Georgia alum that runs those sites.  

giphy.gif

This myth has been busted soo many times I'm sick and tired of reading it. Yes we may not get the same types of bumps Bama signees do but we damn sure get our bumps. A good number of the 4*s we landed in the 2018 class at class end were 3*s this time last year.

16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Best 5 play mentality? I think I remember that discussion a while back when Grimes was here before. Would love for Calvin to get to start.

Meaning the best 5 in production in Fall practice earn it.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

giphy.gif

This myth has been busted soo many times I'm sick and tired of reading it. Yes we may not get the same types of bumps Bama signees do but we damn sure get our bumps. A good number of the 4*s we landed in the 2018 class at class end were 3*s this time last year.

Thank you.

We'll probably see it again when Clark goes from 3 to 4, and maybe two or three more guys. 

It seems a higher percentage of the 5* recruits we sign have issues for what ever the reason. Maybe other coaches do a better job of identifying these problems and we get the players they really don't want and are not willing to take a chance with. For me a class like last year full of 4* players will do just fine.

4 minutes ago, kd4au said:

It seems a higher percentage of the 5* recruits we sign have issues for what ever the reason. Maybe other coaches do a better job of identifying these problems and we get the players they really don't want and are not willing to take a chance with. For me a class like last year full of 4* players will do just fine.

Every team has those issues. Teams are doing good if they hit on half of their 5*s. Maybe even 40%.

58 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

:cool:

28 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I think you'll find that other schools are just more willing/set-up to bury their off-field issues. 5*s have a greater tendency to have off-field issues because they've grown up being treated like royalty, and that all goes away once they step into a college team. Auburn doesn't tolerate it. We've all seen that bama, LSU, FSU, Georgia, Oklahoma, USC, etc not only tolerate it, but cover for it.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think you'll find that other schools are just more willing/set-up to bury their off-field issues. 5*s have a greater tendency to have off-field issues because they've grown up being treated like royalty, and that all goes away once they step into a college team. Auburn doesn't tolerate it. We've all seen that bama, LSU, FSU, Georgia, Oklahoma, USC, etc not only tolerate it, but cover for it.

Agree, but was not talking just about off field issues. Some seem to lack the desire to excel.

17 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Agree, but was not talking just about off field issues. Some seem to lack the desire to excel.

Most of our 5-stars have done just fine on the field. The only ones I can think of, to date, who didn't live up to that end of the deal were Cowart and Roc... and if Roc would have adjusted positions like the coaches wanted him to (and most NFL draft commentators agreed would have helped him), he might have, so Cowart is the only one I feel lacked the desire to excel. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

giphy.gif

I don’t doubt anything you are saying, I guess it is just the perception of seeing the 5* rating since that sticks out, and then seeing it drop.  But again, not doubting this is just a myth and that it has been busted.

In this video, it was just frustrating as at the beginning they were saying 5*, and at the end of the same video, they bumped him down to 4*.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I don’t doubt anything you are saying, I guess it is just the perception of seeing the 5* rating since that sticks out, and then seeing it drop.  But again, not doubting this is just a myth and that it has been busted.

In this video, it was just frustrating as at the beginning they were saying 5*, and at the end of the same video, they bumped him down to 4*.

He's a 5 * on the composite. Don't worry about the flipping video.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's a 5 * on the composite. Don't worry about the flipping video.

Wasn’t trying to make you upset E.  You know how appreciative I am of your tireless work on this forum.  Have a lot of respect for what you do.  

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Wasn’t trying to make you upset E.  You know how appreciative I am of your tireless work on this forum.  Have a lot of respect for what you do.  

Wasn't upset. Just reminding you SEC Country is not affiliated w/ any recruiting site so what they say on ratings don't matter.

• WarTiger changed the title to look at draft in relation to high school rankings.
On 5/4/2018 at 9:11 AM, abw0004 said:

image.png

1 hour ago, DAG said:

image.png

A little late to the party there.

38 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

A little late to the party there.

Still counts 

Archived