Top 5 Pay = Top 5 Expectations?

RunInRed

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

While I would love to win each against our biggest rivals, I think expecting it is unreasonable due to the level of competition.  My expectations are more in line with have a good game plan, adjust when necessary, and have each player ready to battle.  If we have that and lose, then I'm okay with that. That's the nature of sports.  If we go in with an absurd game plan and never adjust, then that is where I have a problem

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR have the lsu game this year happen. That was a meltdown of epic proportions. That cannot ever happen. If he ever thinks of taking his foot off the gas in future seasons look no further than that game as to why not.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

can we please win a actually decent bowl game for a change? 1 in 5 years in pathetic. Especially considering it was the frickin Bham bowl. And we were playing against a school without their stud coach. That honestly is arguably my biggest gripe about gus. We have looked down right awful in the bowl losses most of the time. I love capping off a season with a bowl win. With gus that looks like a futile task.

I agree.  When everyone is watching, game 1 big game match up or bowl game, we seem to disappear.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

While I would love to win each against our biggest rivals, I think expecting it is unreasonable due to the level of competition.  My expectations are more in line with have a good game plan, adjust when necessary, and have each player ready to battle.  If we have that and lose, then I'm okay with that. That's the nature of sports.  If we go in with an absurd game plan and never adjust, then that is where I have a problem

But that is the mindset of a team that expects a top 5 team every year. I am not speaking of rationale or not . A team who wants to be top 5 nationally is arguably sayingwe want to be in the playoffs every year. In order to do that, more times than not you are going to have a very small margin for error. This is why UGA, Bama, LSU have these expectations and we laugh at them for it, but that is their expectations. It is what it is. It’s impossible to win every game of course, but I am sick of hearing about how this team and that team recruits so we have an uphill battle. We average a top ten class every year, IMO, that is more than enough to compete and beat every single team on our schedule. Things happen, but some of the constant excuses really needs to stop. This under dog story we have needs to quit as well. Splitting against Alabama is admirable. However under Gus Tenure we have had more than enough talent to have a winning record against LSU and definitely against UGA.

Matter fact screw that. If I remember correct Gus is 2-3 against Saban. He should arguably be 3-2 against him if our defense didn’t fail us in 2014. Yes that is the almighty crimson tide. There is no reason why we should feel at a disadvantage. We belong in the top tier. It is what it is.

45 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree.  When everyone is watching, game 1 big game match up or bowl game, we seem to disappear.

That is a good point. It seems gus struggles the most against big name OOC opponents when the spotlight is shining bright on us. 

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

Matter fact screw that. If I remember correct Gus is 2-3 against Saban. He should arguably be 3-2 against him if our defense didn’t fail us in 2014. Yes that is the almighty crimson tide. There is no reason why we should feel at a disadvantage. We belong in the top tier. It is what it is.

now if only his record against mark richt was better.... Those were some average georgia teams to.

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

now if only his record against mark richt was better.... Those were some average georgia teams to.

Yeah they weren’t all that good TBH

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah they weren’t all that good TBH

That is the thing about some of those richt years where he owned us. I can handle getting beat by a superior team but maaaaaaaaaaan 2014,2015 and especially kirbys first georgia team were some of the most average georgia teams in yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars. And we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Just like Doctors, lawyers, engineers, and any other job, Coaches get paid the going rates. To be upset about them making money for a job that is a 18+ hour a day, 7 day a week job is ridiculous. If it is so concerning, stop supporting their sport.

As far as expectations go, they should be high. He coaches in the best division of the best conference and has the toughest schedule in that division. That said, to think he will win every game against our toughest opponents is ridiculous.  To me he should beat the lower tierd schools and split against LSU, UGA, UA...and eventually TAMU. That is potentially 4 losses a year.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Just like Doctors, lawyers, engineers, and any other job, Coaches get paid the going rates. To be upset about them making money for a job that is a 18+ hour a day, 7 day a week job is ridiculous. If it is so concerning, stop supporting their sport.

As far as expectations go, they should be high. He coaches in the best division of the best conference and has the toughest schedule in that division. That said, to think he will win every game against our toughest opponents is ridiculous.  To me he should beat the lower tierd schools and split against LSU, UGA, UA...and eventually TAMU. That is potentially 4 losses a year.

$7M annually for 4-losses per year? Hard pass.

The top doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc., in their field aren’t known/compensated for producing winning results 67% (8-4) of the time.

11 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

The top doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc., in their field aren’t known/compensated for producing winning results 67% (8-4) of the time.

Top baseball players make $50 million plus per year for being right about a third of the time....it's all about the market place and talent......and lots of coaching jobs available every year for those who think they are good enough to coach at the Power 5 level.....but of course you usually have to start with HS and get paid peanuts.

As for those top doctors or lawyers or whatever, I'm thinking if they could get a job coaching a power 5 football team for $5M per year they might take it.....and of course watch ESPN and the guys who used to make $5M per year now working on weekends talking about football or whatever.....because that is the jobs they can get.

JMO but I never found it useful to be envious of people who made/make more money than me.  They made their career decisions and I made mine.

Envy? Hardly. Calling it a scam, that leaves the fans more often than not holding the bag, just how I see it.

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Then pass. Don't show up. To criticize a coach for being payed a going rate is laughable.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Then pass. Don't show up. To criticize a coach for being payed a going rate is laughable.

Not so much criticism - just saying Top 5 Expectations are fair.  We’ve paid the Bentley rate, so don’t roll us up Saturdays in a Chevy, Gus. That’s all I’m saying.  

17 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Not so much criticism - just saying Top 5 Expectations are fair.  We’ve paid the Bentley rate, so don’t roll us up Saturdays in a Chevy, Gus. That’s all I’m saying.  

That's an F-150 not a Chevy..))

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

can we please win a actually decent bowl game for a change? 1 in 5 years in pathetic. Especially considering it was the frickin Bham bowl. And we were playing against a school without their stud coach. That honestly is arguably my biggest gripe about gus. We have looked down right awful in the bowl losses most of the time. I love capping off a season with a bowl win. With gus that looks like a futile task.

1-5 Early Career Bowl Games.

stoops.gif

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is a good point. It seems gus struggles the most against big name OOC opponents when the spotlight is shining bright on us. 

No.... its another weekend of Big Game Bob mockery!

Just having some fun with this. The Oklahoma attitude is talked about, but we forget that Stoops had some similarities. Let's also remember that most of his Big 12 Championships came with multiple conference losses, which under the Saban era at Alabama you don't get out of the West with 2 L's.

STOOPSFACE.gif

17 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

1-5 Early Career Bowl Games.

stoops.gif

And he had a terrible reputation and harshly criticized for it. It’s not like the OU fans took up for him like our fans tend to do. A lot of them called for his head every year , even though he brought them back to relevancy after Five years without a bowl game. Not to mention he was consistently winning conference  championships, 10 wins in the regular season , etc. Also, I am pretty sure OU has a winning record against the SEC with him coaching. Big game Bob does has a losing record in bowl games, but he was nowhere near 1-5 in his first six career bowl games . More like 3-3 with a NC victory lol. He also had a winning record against his main rival, Texas. But let’s not act like even with all that , the fans weren’t gunning at his head. He was harshly criticized as his tenure went on and they didn’t get another NC. Those similarities are far and few between.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

And he had a terrible reputation and harshly criticized for it. It’s not like the OU fans took up for him like our fans tend to do. A lot of them called for his head every year , even though he brought them back to relevancy after Five years without a bowl game. Not to mention he was consistently winning conference  championships, 10 wins in the regular season , etc. Also, I am pretty sure OU has a winning record against the SEC with him coaching. Big game Bob does has a losing record in bowl games, but he was nowhere near 1-5 in his first six career bowl games . More like 3-3 with a NC victory lol. He also had a winning record against his main rival, Texas. But let’s not act like even with all that , the fans weren’t gunning at his head. He was harshly criticized as his tenure went on and they didn’t get another NC. Those similarities are far and few between.

I'm just having fun, but he was 1-5 from 03 to 08 with a Holiday Bowl win and a L to Boise State. So was worse after he should of had the talent recruited. I don't see that as better than if it was during the first 6. OU fans also didn't feel they would never win a bowl game again either during that stretch.

We also all know that he lucked out and faced FSU and not Miami in that championship game. Silly computers that ignored head to head victories.

Everyone knows Mack did less with more at Texas, and that the conference for a long time was a 2 horse race. I'm old enough to remember all the Big 12 comments/comparisons that moved from 2004 and on.

I grew up in Texas and Oklahoma. Have several friends that went to OU and I have spent more than one night being entertained in Norman. Was in the stadium when Miles got his first victory over OU (sister went to Ok State). Stoops didn't start catching it bad till about 10 years into his career from OU fans, like you said when the NC's appeared to have dried up. Don't know about the message board crews, but I knew the in person views.

But yup, earlier years.. bowl win droughts and trouble with with those ranked OCC teams.

Im just goofing off, not looking to argue.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

You have to admit $7 million is not the going rate for college football coaches. The sample size is the top 10 highest paid. I criticize our AD (former) for paying CGM this much. I can’t criticize CGM or Sexton. I wish Sexton would negotiate my contract....

On 5/3/2018 at 4:57 PM, RunInRed said:

Seems fair to me ... ?‍♂️

May i ask....

Other than saban.... who on this list do you feel lives up to their top 10 ranking?  

Urban is not the most successful coach in the country -  he is up there, but I am sure people at OSU look at his success since arrival and at Saban and ask why they are paying him more for significantly fewer trophies.   

harbaugh is worse off than Malzahn in a much easier conference - but getting paid more.  Has never won his conference and never sniffed the playoffs.  

Smart has 1 year of success with someone else's players (to this point - he is no more deserving than Tiny Tot (94) or Chiz (10)... they won with others recruits too)

Mullen?   has never even won a division or sniffed a chance to play for anything meaningful in the post season.  

Also, based on your logic - Gus is the 3rd highest paid coach in our DIVISION of our conference.  So we should expect to finish 3rd every year?   FYI - he won in last year....

Top 5 pay does not mean top 5 results.   This is much more a commentary on WHERE they are coaching, (OSU, Bama, Michigan, A&M, ...) and what it takes to keep a coach at these schools - not their results ... The SEC makes more money than any other conference - year in and year out.   You should expect that the SEC should have the most on this list every season - because of that.  but it is also the toughest competition year in and year out.  So if 5 of the top 10 payed come from the same conference -  they cant also be 5 of the top 10 winning programs.   That is just not how this works.  

I am all for high expectations, but lets at least keep the discussion reasonable. 

1 hour ago, jtauburntiger said:

May i ask....

Other than saban.... who on this list do you feel lives up to their top 10 ranking?  

Urban is not the most successful coach in the country -  he is up there, but I am sure people at OSU look at his success since arrival and at Saban and ask why they are paying him more for significantly fewer trophies.   

harbaugh is worse off than Malzahn in a much easier conference - but getting paid more.  Has never won his conference and never sniffed the playoffs.  

Smart has 1 year of success with someone else's players (to this point - he is no more deserving than Tiny Tot (94) or Chiz (10)... they won with others recruits too)

Mullen?   has never even won a division or sniffed a chance to play for anything meaningful in the post season.  

Also, based on your logic - Gus is the 3rd highest paid coach in our DIVISION of our conference.  So we should expect to finish 3rd every year?   FYI - he won in last year....

Top 5 pay does not mean top 5 results.   This is much more a commentary on WHERE they are coaching, (OSU, Bama, Michigan, A&M, ...) and what it takes to keep a coach at these schools - not their results ... The SEC makes more money than any other conference - year in and year out.   You should expect that the SEC should have the most on this list every season - because of that.  but it is also the toughest competition year in and year out.  So if 5 of the top 10 payed come from the same conference -  they cant also be 5 of the top 10 winning programs.   That is just not how this works.  

I am all for high expectations, but lets at least keep the discussion reasonable. 

lol imagine having a gripe with Urban. SMH. You got to be kidding me.

54 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol imagine having a gripe with Urban. SMH. You got to be kidding me.

There is so much I wanted to say to that post but it is not worth a response. I pretty much stopped reading when he calls out Dan Mullen for not sniffing a SEC divisional title. FYI- he coached at freaking Mississippi State. 

And I live in Big ten country and they could care less what’s going down in Alabama. As long as they continue to rape UM and make it into the playoffs for the most part they are fine. Our fans are the ones who have the little brother syndrome unfortunately 

Archived