Top 5 Pay = Top 5 Expectations?

RunInRed

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

the coach at Washington isn't on that list, then he is underpaid.

He's close and getting there but still has some work to do at Washington...2 out of 4 seasons in the top 25 and 1-3 in bowl games.  But...if he had taken some of the jobs he was offered while at Boise he would already be among the top ten.   AND...he needs to win a division or conference championship at Udubb.. Still in the $5M range I think....not bad....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

There is so much I wanted to say to that post but it is not worth a response. I pretty much stopped reading when he calls out Dan Mullen for not sniffing a SEC divisional title. FYI- he coached at freaking Mississippi State. 

And I live in Big ten country and they could care less what’s going down in Alabama. As long as they continue to rape UM and make it into the playoffs for the most part they are fine. Our fans are the ones who have the little brother syndrome unfortunately 

well said DAG!!!! Spot the heck on.

On 5/3/2018 at 8:38 PM, aubaseball said:

RIR, No coach, player or entertainer is worth what they are being paid.   I’m guilty as well as a lot of people, but until we all stop going and cancel cable, prices will continue to increase 

I refuse to pay for cable.  I'll continue to drive to my local sports bar as required.

Guess I am old school cheap.

On 5/3/2018 at 4:57 PM, RunInRed said:

Seems fair to me ... ?‍♂️

Urban Meyer (73-8) during his time at Ohio State (3-2) in Bowl Games no way I'd pay him more than Saban though. He has a great record there but hasn't really been able to reach the final goal. However, eight losses over 6 seasons isn't too bad.

Nick Saban (132-20) during his time at Alabama (10-4) in the postseason not much to say here; he's given them enough championships to earn his pay at this point. God willing he'll retire soon.

Jim Harbaugh (28-11) during his time at Michigan (1-2) in the postseason with another bad year he'll be on a very hot seat. Overpaid in my opinion.

Jimbo Fisher (83-23) during his time at Florida State (5-2) in the postseason I think the pay is a little high personally but he has a good track record with the acception of last season. Don't think he'll have the same level of success in the SEC but it's a good time to be at TAMU while Texas is down.

Gus Malzahn (45-22) during his time at Auburn (1-4) in the postseason it's atrocious how much we're paying him to be frank. He hasn't shown any hint of consistency or ability to be a top contender when it matters most. The postseason and road records are just too concerning.

Kirby Smart (21-7) during his time at Georgia (2-1) in the postseason I just think there is too little evidence to look at with Kirby. I probably wouldn't pay him this high yet.

Dabo Swinney (101-30) during his time at Clemson (7-5) in the postseason twenty of his thirty losses came in his first four years as a head coach. It's actually surprising, all things considered, that he is paid less than Gus/Kirby/Harbaugh.

Dan Mullen (69-46) during his time at Mississippi State (5-2) in the postseason this is just too much money for Dan Mullen. He's done a decent job with a terrible school but Florida is reaching a little bit here.

David Shaw (73-22) during his time at Stanford (4-3) in the postseason seems fair to me. He has done an excellent job being consistent at a school that can't be easy to succeed at.

Tom Herman (29-10) overall and (2-1) in the postseason interesting coach with his limited HC experience in college. He is definitely going to be an interesting coach at Texas.

On 5/4/2018 at 6:24 PM, DAG said:

But that is the mindset of a team that expects a top 5 team every year. I am not speaking of rationale or not . A team who wants to be top 5 nationally is arguably sayingwe want to be in the playoffs every year. In order to do that, more times than not you are going to have a very small margin for error. This is why UGA, Bama, LSU have these expectations and we laugh at them for it, but that is their expectations. It is what it is. It’s impossible to win every game of course, but I am sick of hearing about how this team and that team recruits so we have an uphill battle. We average a top ten class every year, IMO, that is more than enough to compete and beat every single team on our schedule. Things happen, but some of the constant excuses really needs to stop. This under dog story we have needs to quit as well. Splitting against Alabama is admirable. However under Gus Tenure we have had more than enough talent to have a winning record against LSU and definitely against UGA.

I don't disagree with you, but I think the biggest issue has been quality depth.  Gus has done a decent job recruiting, and really, only decent, but he hasn't really recruited quality depth for the team, except on defense.  Look at the situation on the OL this spring, and at running back the past two years, not to mention QB.  When injuries happen on the Offense, this team flops, terribly.  That is also due to coaching.  Not having real back up plans for emergencies doesn't speak well of his ability to adapt and overcome in these situations.

My question would be is he doing what the people that have hired him want?  You have to remember, he doesn't answer to us, the Alumns and Fans.  He answered to people who put up that $7 Million.

Is the program on the rise?  Is it getting stronger yearly?  Is he winning?  What is the national perception of the program?

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

However, eight losses over 6 seasons isn't too bad.

I still think ol' Urb is a bit overrated when you look at who he lost to and who he beat. I still think he bailed on the SEC because he knew he would never be great there.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

he's given them enough championships to earn his pay at this point.

No arguing that he should be the highest paid coach in the NCAA, but outside of doing something for the true betterment of mankind, NO ONE deserves the kind of money they are paying him. He is the highest paid public employee in the country, and he coaches a game. He make far more than a lot of CEOs who's companies dwarf the profits of bama football. The fact that his paid what he is paid underlines just how out of whack our societies priorities are.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Don't think he'll have the same level of success in the SEC but it's a good time to be at TAMU while Texas is down.

It'll be VERY interesting to see if they have buyers remorse when they see him facing an SEC slate instead of an ACC one.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

I just think there is too little evidence to look at with Kirby. I probably wouldn't pay him this high yet.

Ol' Kirb has played himself into the perfect position to make bank for a couple of years before someone busts him for trying to out-bama bama.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

this is just too much money for Dan Mullen. He's done a decent job with a terrible school but Florida is reaching a little bit here.

It ALL depends on QB recruiting. If he can get good QBs than he will compete. If not, he won't last.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

interesting coach with his limited HC experience in college. He is definitely going to be an interesting coach at Texas.

Not sure how Herman has proved he deserves to be among the best with his limited tenure.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

it's atrocious how much we're paying him to be frank. He hasn't shown any hint of consistency or ability to be a top contender when it matters most. The postseason and road records are just too concerning

Gus has the second best record of Auburn coaches in modern football history (not counting Bowden who's tenure was just too weird to make sense of... he's still #1) and isn't far behind #1. It also doesn't hurt that he's coached in 2 national championship games while affiliated with Auburn. While I, too, think he's overpaid, I can't name an SEC coach who should make more than him who doesn't. He's making market value for being in the top 3 performers in the conference.  Market values is just WAY too much.

Since Saban was coronated in Tuscaloosa, coaches salaries have risen at between 2 and 3 times the rate of any other profession in the country. Saban has nearly tripled his salary in 11 years. For any of us to do that, we would have to get nearly a 10% raise every year for 11 years.

Herman at Texas will be interesting to see given this recent development.

“When Mack got here he had Darrell Royal to lean on,” Del Conte said. “We’re bringing Mack back into the fold. Mack Brown will be in the building. We have an office for him where he sits around and gets to talk to Tom about what Darrell educated him on and helping all of us. It’s going to take a united effort.”

https://www.hookem.com/2018/04/06/texas-ad-chris-del-conte-bringing-mack-brown-back-fold/

One of my OU friends dad is a big time UT man, and isn't fond of this. Will also tell you that Brown is the reason Saban is still at Alabama.

Curious if Brown will be UT's Pat Dye.

10 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Herman at Texas will be interesting to see given this recent development.

https://www.hookem.com/2018/04/06/texas-ad-chris-del-conte-bringing-mack-brown-back-fold/

One of my OU friends dad is a big time UT man, and isn't fond of this. Will also tell you that Brown is the reason Saban is still at Alabama.

Curious if Brown will be UT's Pat Dye.

or Fulmer or Snyder or ??? ......lots of schools have some old coach or AD lurking around in the shadows, influencing the PTBs who relish the prestige of association with them.    Just wondering if Tubs is hoping for that same status at AU when PD passes to that great ball yard in the sky. JMO but  he has the appearances of chief PTB in waiting. . 

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

or Fulmer or Snyder or ??? ......lots of schools have some old coach or AD lurking around in the shadows, influencing the PTBs who relish the prestige of association with them.    Just wondering if Tubs is hoping for that same status at AU when PD passes to that great ball yard in the sky. JMO but  he has the appearances of chief PTB in waiting. . 

Do Bo and Tubs play nice? Because I get the feeling that Mr. Jackson might swing a bigger bat.

Sorry, bad pun.

He might carry more weight.

Dangit. 

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

or Fulmer or Snyder

I wouldn't lump Snyder in with Fulmer, Brown and Dye. Snyder is the only person who has been able to achieve anything at K-State. The others, on the other hand, tend to meddle where they aren't needed/wanted.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Do Bo and Tubs play nice?

Bo is too busy to meddle. He's there when it's asked of him, however.

I haven't completely figured out what Tubbs is doing. Part of me hopes he's just lurking in the shadows around some of the PTB just to remind them that they couldn't completely get rid of him. I'd have to think with the AD being run by someone who isn't there guy and Tubbs and Chizik back in town, they can't be the happiest bunch of control freaks.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I wouldn't lump Snyder in with Fulmer, Brown and Dye. Snyder is the only person who has been able to achieve anything at K-State. The others, on the other hand, tend to meddle where they aren't needed/wanted.

Yeah, we were just talking about Uncle Bill the other day. He kind of occupies his own category IMO. 

On 5/3/2018 at 4:57 PM, RunInRed said:

Seems fair to me ... ?‍♂️

Couple of things here, Gus makes more money than Dabo? Damn just damn. 

Mullen at 6M. Damn just damn. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

giphy.mp4

46 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

How about Harbaugh who has not achieved anything that was expected of him at Michigan raking in $7.7M?

Even worse, Herman who has been a head coach for 3 whole years and had 1 stellar season in those 3 years (his first), in a lesser conference making almost 6M. Not saying he won't be great, but he certainly hasn't earned it yet.

And of course, there's Smart at $7M after one bad and one great season. That would be like giving Gus $7M after 2013.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

How about Harbaugh who has not achieved anything that was expected of him at Michigan raking in $7.7M?

Even worse, Herman who has been a head coach for 3 whole years and had 1 stellar season in those 3 years (his first), in a lesser conference making almost 6M. Not saying he won't be great, but he certainly hasn't earned it yet.

And of course, there's Smart at $7M after one bad and one great season. That would be like giving Gus $7M after 2013.

JH should be doing much more at UM. He has underachieved although many Michigan fans blame it on QB. Still not an excuse but this year is do or die. Anyway , the point I am trying to make is JH is getting paid based on his reputation. He built Stanford and gave David Shaw the blueprint and he revamped the 49ers into super bowl contender , so I get why UM is throwing the book at him. Obviously that check needs to be cashed this year now that he has his guy. No excuses. Basically they have to make the playoffs. Winning 10 games and losing to tOSU won’t cut it.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That's pretty good for a guy who has not won any kind of championship and rarely beats ranked teams.  .  Using justification that he was at MSU so what do you expect ?  Might as well use that for guys all over the country who coach at schools where it is tough to recruit.  

Not saying he is over-rated...but definitely think he is under-proven to this point. ...and making very good money based on his record. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, we were just talking about Uncle Bill the other day. He kind of occupies his own category IMO. 

He IS K-State football.

He tried to leave...they wouldn't let him.

Archived