Favorite/least favorite game vs. SEC teams

AUwent

This was a thread on SECRant I thought was really interesting. Self-explanatory, not necessarily objectively the best win or loss, just your personal favorite and least favorite. And one that you can actually remember, and gave you the most happiness/misery.

Personal details of/explanations for each game listed may come later, depending on how I'm feeling.

Alabama
Favorite: 2013
Least: 2008

Arkansas
Favorite: 2016
Least: 2012

Florida
Favorite: 2007 ("I think about the thame thanth of me being thenator of Thlorida")
Least: 2011 (won, but it was such a poorly played game by both teams)

Georgia
Favorite: 2017
Least: 2006

Kentucky
Favorite: 2010
Least: 2009

LSU
Least: 2017

Ole Miss
Favorite: 2014

MSU
Least: 2012

Missouri
Least: 2017 (saying very, very little)

USC
Favorite: 2010 SECC
Least: 2014 (personal drama)

Tennessee

Texas A&M
Least: Do I have to say?

Vanderbilt
Favorite: 2007

• WarTiger changed the title to Favorite/least favorite game vs. SEC teams

Alabama

Favorite: 2007 (first time singing Rammer Jammer reversed)

Least: 2014 (No reason for losing that game.)

Georgia

Least: 2017 SECCG (one win away from basically winning it all)

LSU

Least: 2017 (was at the game. Love Tiger Stadium, just hate losing there)

MSU

Least: 2015

I'll do SEC teams, keep in mind I've only really been old enough to remember from 2000-present and honestly only truly remember 2010-present (finished high school and no longer had wrestling tournaments on game days).

Alabama

Favorite 2010 the CAMback was just so sweet: at their stadium, they played that preacher man crap, Lutz immortalized himself, and we persevered through them tapping into our headsets. Also, I despise Mark Ingram with all my heart and I hope that fumble still eats at him especially considering how far a lineman had to go to track him down. Kick 6 was lucky but the CAMback is something I'll bore my grandchildren with decades from now: legendary.

Least 2012... 49-0... Need I say more? 

Arkansas

Favorite 2016 fixed the error of the year before with a 56-3 beat down of the pigs. I've hated them for a long time and have always viewed them as below us. This is the epitome of how I always expect/want this game to go.

Least 2015 I got off of work at Universal Studios as early as I could to watch this game on my phone in the parking lot. We had no business losing this game and it disgusted me for weeks. Overtime losses hurt more too me than blowouts.

LSU

Favorite 2010 was a hell of a year. Went to every game that year at home and this is when I knew just how special Cam was/is. 

Least 2017 honestly probably one of the worst LSU teams we have lost to and for no real reason. Really wanted a win in Death Valley on a year that it should have been rather manageable. Almost all other LSU games are my favorite ones to watch.

Florida

Favorite 2007? Wes Byrun making the kick twice was gold. I hate Urban M. and watching one of the best Auburn kickers of all time strut his stuff doing the chomp was hype. It meant so much more to me living in Florida lol.

Least 2011 neither Auburn nor Florida deserved to win that game. First time I met who would end up being my sister-in-law (Florida fan we brought with us). Sloppy ugly game that we really only won off of Florida miscues. Side note, it's awesome to bring up how many years it has been since Florida beat Auburn.

Ole Miss

Favorite 2011 just like Arkansas I don't think Ole Miss should ever be on our level. This was a bad year of Auburn football but this game was at least one time in that season where we straight dominated a SEC opponent.

Least 2015 coming off the heels of a terrible loss to Arkansas I don't think I've ever been more ready to boot a coach.

Missippi State

Favorite 2011 I had seats that felt like they were 20 feet away from the final play. Goal line stand. My heart was pounding through my chest and we crushed them right on the one yard line. Pure grit.

Least 2008... 3-2 snooze fest and utterly embarrassing.

Texas A&M

Favorite 2011 we beat Johnny Football in a shootout. As simple as that. Lots of fun.

Least 2014 was one of my least favorite years. I drove from Orlando to the panhandle to pick up my dad. Then we drove to Auburn for the game. My dad is an eternal optimist with Auburn football but I've never seen him more disgusted. He was livid the whole ride back and then I had to make the trip back to Orlando that same night (exams and work).

South Carolina

Favorite 2010 SECCG it's my senior year, just won my 4th district title, ran into the lobby to see the score, and I watch us complete a hail mary right before half time. We punched our ticket to the first National Championship game in 50 yesrs.

Least 2014 Spurrier had no respect for our defense and rightfully so. My dad raised me to love Defense and Auburn was always one of his favorites because we used to be a defensive powerhouse (seems to be returning). The Ole Ball Coach went for it on I think EVERY 4th down and damn near got all of them. Ugly game by Auburn.

Tennessee

Favorite 2004? Where Cadillac and Ronnie made them look stupid. That was just fun to watch two of the best college running backs of all time eat up an overconfident Tennessee.

Least 2013 I haven't seen a lot of AU vs UT but this one has an off reason for not being good. I met this insanely beautiful girl once during Spring Break. She went to Tennessee and when this game happened I wasn't a graceful winner. Blew my chances on meeting up with her again lol. Dumb I know but I don't have a lot of memories of playing them.

Kentucky

Favorite 2015 I guess. Another team I don't remember playing much. We let them stay too close too often but it was a year with few bright spots so this works. 

Least 2010 no reason, other than a sub-par defense, for Kentucky to have been close to a National Championship team. To be frank, we were a little bit lucky. 

Missouri

Favorite 2013 man if we would have had a defense from 2010-15 we would have been alright! Loved watching a running expo get put on Mizzou. The score looked a lot closer than what it felt like.

Least 2017 just a boring game. The win was cool and all but I was still concerned about how we played against Mercer.

Georgia

Favorite: 2010 watching Nick Fairley annihilate their O-Line and the fact that they still cry about him playing dirty today. Lord do I hate Georgia and this game was especially rewarding.

Least: 2014 I believe was the year that we looked like we straight up quit. I've never seen less fight in an Auburn football team. 2017 round 2 was the most upsetting because it shouldn't have gone down that way.

Vanderbilt

Favorite 2016 I guess. Another team we don't play much. But still least this time we won.

Least 2012... We lost to Vanderbilt... 

Favorite 3 non-SEC wins

1. Oregon - skipped school to watch ESPN all day. Literally cried at the "just a dream" intro. Mom was battling cancer, dad was working out of state to make money, senior year and what I thought would be my last year of wrestling, and the first time in 50 years Auburn had won. I remember thinking that this might be the last time in 50 more years that we'd have a chance (glad to be wrong). Dominated the game, Cam was dinged up so others got to shine, and it was just a fun way to cap off a miracle season.

2. Northwestern - crazy insane ending of a game. Numerous reviews keeping the game alive. Ben Tate was a monster. First time in a NFL stadium. Whole family got to come. The Northwestern fans were some of the nicest people I've ever watched a game next to and the rain added to the fun.

3. 2010 Clemson - crazy game to be at. Lots of fun. Drunk Clempson fan next to me was talking so much trash. Just an awesome environment and a very satisfying win.

Least 3 favorite non-SEC games

1. FSU 2013 - only game I've never been able to rewatch or even talk about in my house. Disgusted me so much it almost ruined the rest of the season for me. We let our foot off the gas and let our bad defense fumble the game for us. Tre Mason played his butt off and if it is possible to score off sheer will power he would have done it on that last play. I live too close to Tallahassee for this loss and we were a far superior team in my opinion. Ridiculous that we didn't win this game.

2. 2016 Oklahoma - we had no business in that bowl game to begin with. An 8-4 football team against a red hot Oklahoma for the Sugar Bowl? What? Terrible matchup and absolutely no fun to watch. The effort simply wasn't there.

3. Clemson 2011 - didn't respect the program at the time. Thought we played like crap. We had barely survived the first two games of the season and Clemson didn't let us slide through. Had fun at the San Diego Zoo that day though. Highly recommend it, polar bears are way bigger than any stats could convey to my mind.

Finally, my all time favorite game from all the above is still the 2010 CAMback against Alabama. There's just something beautiful about it.

Alabama:

F: 2010

L: 2009 (maybe this dynasty never happens if they dont make that first title happen)

LSU: 

F: 2014

L: 2007 (couldve been that first 2 loss squad to make a title) 

Georgia:

F: 2013

L: any year in the past 5 years, it really doesnt matter. Every L against UGA is the exact same 

A&M:

F: the win that folds this as a program and embarasses them as much as 2012 and 2014 did me 

L: Manziel couldve easily dropped 100 on us if that's what he and Sumlin desired. They beat us a year we had probably our most stacked offense ever and won like 1000 straight home games. With a true freshman who looked like dog s*** against a D2 team. It blows my mind how unbecoming some of the losses we take are. There's not enough just "ah man we were equally talented, you just beat us in a close game" type of Ls, at least not since the 2010s started. 

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

Least 2015 I got off of work at Universal Studios as early as I could to watch this game on my phone in the parking lot. We had no business losing this game and it disgusted me for weeks. Overtime losses hurt more too me than blowouts.

It was worse being in the stands. By the the 4th overtime, the focus of the crowd shifted from winning or losing to just ending the game.

13 hours ago, Zeek said:

Alabama

we persevered through them tapping into our headsets.

Say what? I never heard about that.

28 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Say what? I never heard about that.

Alleged that there were headset issues in the first half. Just a rumor but I wouldn't put it past them.

Have to give this some thought........off top of my head Iron Bowl 1987 10-0........most boring game..........kind of like our 3-2 win against msu.

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

Have to give this some thought........off top of my head Iron Bowl 1987 10-0........most boring game..........kind of like our 3-2 win against msu.

Probably the last time Auburn shut out bammer...

The previous year was my personal favorite Auburn game (IB and otherwise) of all time... Lawyer's Reverse.

Alabama

Favorite: 2010 - CAMback. Whenever you come back from a 24 point deficit at your rivals place and break their hearts, how can is get any better? Plus this game ended up meaning more than 2013 because we actually won the NC in 2010. We couldn't finish the job in 2013.

Least:  2012 - How anyone thinks the 2008 Iron Bowl is worse than 2012 is mind boggling. At least in 2008, I felt like we had a chance to keep the game close. I knew in 2012 what was going to happen and that we had no chance. There's no reason to feel like you have no chance to win. 2012 was just an absolute abysmal season.

Arkansas

Favorite: 2003 - It's not very often that Arkansas is higher ranked than us when we play them but that was the case in 2003. Arkansas was undefeated and on had hopes of having a special season. Auburn's preseason hopes were dashed earlier in the season but we were able to spoil Arkansas's hopes in 2003. 

Least: 2006 - Thanks Gus. Auburn was undefeated and ranked #2 but that all went out the window when Darren McFadden and Felix Jones had their way with our defense. A couple of trick plays really burned our defense in that game but it was our offense laying an egg that really cost us the game.

LSU

Favorite: 2014 - It's not very often that we blow LSU out but we managed to do that in 2014.

Least: 2005 - This one still hurts. Had we not lost to LSU, we could have won the West and played for the SEC title in a re-match against UGA. 2007 LSU hurt too but we did a lot more to lose in 2005 than in 2007. How often does an Auburn kicker miss 5 field goals in a game? Kenny Irons 200 yards rushing were wasted also. Okay, I'll stop explaining why 2005's loss still hurts.

Florida

Favorite: 2001 - Florida was undefeated and #1. They had been blowing every opponent out. Our defense got 4 Rex Grossman interceptions. There were gusting 20+ mph winds during that game but Damon Duval was able to kick into the winds and hook each kick through the uprights. I've never seen a kicker do that. I love that game so much that it's my avatar on here. 

Least: 2002 - What looked like another Damon Duval game winning kick was blocked and the game was sent into overtime. Florida pulled this one out and also we lost Carnell for the year as he broke his leg during the game. But all was not lost as Ronnie Brown emerged in this game and became the #1 RB in Carnell's absence. 

Georgia

Favorite: 2004 - We dominated UGA in 2004. It was thorough beat down. This game showed how great the 2004 team was. The most memorable highlight of the game was Junior Rosegreen laying out UGA WR Reggie Brown on a hit. It would have been called targeting today and Rosegreen would have been ejected but in 2004 it was still a legal tackle. 

Least: 2017 SEC Championship - Auburn won the 1st game in 2017 but the 2nd game was for the SEC Championship. UGA made adjustments and Auburn lost the SEC title and playoff spot. Talk about disappointing.

Tennessee

Favorite: 2004 regular season - Like 2004 UGA, this was Auburn dominating a good opponent. Ronnie Brown running over a Tennessee defender is still in highlight reels of Auburn RB's greatest runs.

Least: 1997 SEC Championship - Peyton Manning finally got his SEC title but it came at our expense. Losing by 1 point and losing the SEC title really stings.

Ole Miss

Favorite: 2014 - This was an exciting game as both teams went back and forth. Unfortunately for Ole Miss, Treadwill broke his leg and fumbled the ball and Auburn was able to recover it for the win. 

Least: 2003 - Auburn should have won this game. It was right in Ben Obomanu's hands but he dropped the pass. 2003 was a rough season but Ole Miss was probably the toughest loss of the season because of how we lost.

Mississippi State

Favorite: 2013 - This game is what catapulted Auburn's run in 2013. Had we lost this game, our run in 2013 wouldn't have happened.

Least: 2007 - What a frustrating game. After we had lost to South Florida the week before, we follow it up with a home loss to Miss State. Brandon  Cox was benched during the game and Kodi Burns played but he didn't have much success either. They put Brandon Cox back in and we actually came back but a goal line stand by Miss. State sealed the win for them.

Texas A&M

Favorite: 2013 - Johnny Manziel still made a lot of plays but the defense stopped him at the end. A high scoring game but Auburn came out on top.

Least: 2014 - We're still talking about this game as the turning point in the Gus era, enough said. 

Vanderbilt

Favorite: 2003 - Our first win and first touchdown of 2003 was against Vandy.

Least: 2008 - As good as Wes Byrum was and he'll always be remembered for the game winning kicks against 2007 Florida and 2010 Oregon in the NC game. But Byrum struggled in 2008. A missed extra point ended up coming back to cost us. We lost 14-13 to Vandy and Tony Franklin and his spread offense was gone after that.

South Carolina

Favorite: 2011 - Like Arkansas, it's not very often that South Carolina is higher ranked than us. It was Auburn's defense and Michael Dyer's 41 carries that pulled the upset over #10 South Carolina

Least: 2014 - Even though we won you could see the problems with the defense. South Carolina was not a great team in 2014 but the defense was so bad that it didn't matter. A game that was a nailbiter because our defense just couldn't stop South Carolina on 4th down.

Kentucky

Favorite: 2005 - The offense ran wild on Kentucky, literally! Tristan Davis exploded for 162 yards rushing and Kenny Irons also topped 100 yards rushing.

Least: 2009 - Auburn was up 14-7 at halftime but did nothing in the 2nd half. Kentucky came back and beat Auburn 21-14 at Auburn. Just a lethargic performance by Auburn in this one.

Missouri

Favorite: 2013 SEC Championship - Both teams scored a lot of points but Tre Mason took over the game and broke SEC Championship game records with over 300 yards rushing. 

Least: 2017 - The game was boring to watch and Missouri was bad at the time. It was so bad that Barry Odom went on a post-game rant and how they were going to get better.

2 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Alabama

Favorite: 2010 - CAMback. Whenever you come back from a 24 point deficit at your rivals place and break their hearts, how can is get any better? Plus this game ended up meaning more than 2013 because we actually won the NC in 2010. We couldn't finish the job in 2013.

Least:  2012 - How anyone thinks the 2008 Iron Bowl is worse than 2012 is mind boggling. At least in 2008, I felt like we had a chance to keep the game close. I knew in 2012 what was going to happen and that we had no chance. There's no reason to feel like you have no chance to win. 2012 was just an absolute abysmal season.

Oh I agree 2012 was technically worse. The thing is that by that point I was virtually numb to it, I was beyond the point of caring. Plus, be honest, we had next to NO expectations coming into 2012.

2008 was different, at least for me. To an early 20-something like myself, Tubs was the coach who got me in to Auburn football. I had no memory of the 2001 IB, and so I had never tasted a loss to Alabama since I started following Auburn football. He was to me what Pat Dye was to so many—so I imagine people 15-20 years older than me felt the same way in 1991-92.

I thought we were an SEC--possibly darkhorse NC--contender headed into 2008. It felt like the SEC west was ours for the taking when Perriloux got kicked off of LSU. And then...yeah, that happened. It was...shocking, to say the least.

4 hours ago, kevon67 said:

87 wasn't very exciting but my daughter was born the day before so I had enough excitement. The game did spawn a great bumper sticker. Shut down, Shut out, Shut up. Placed an Auburn 10-zip sticker on her crib in the nursery. One day old and already rubbing it in. Coolest kid in the nursery. 

Alabama
Least: 2016 (Always most recent IB loss)

Arkansas
Favorite: 2016
Least: 2002 ( they gashed us for 400+ on the ground)

Florida
Favorite: 1993
Least: 1996 (51-10)

Georgia
Least: Tie (1996 - 4OT loss, and 2002 last second pass on 4th and forever with no time on clock)

Kentucky
Least: 2009

LSU
Favorite: 1994 (4 second half picks, 3 for TD's...I was there)
Least: 2017

Ole Miss
Favorite: 2014
Least: 2003 (Eli and the TD drop)

MSU
Least: Whatever year it was when they scored on their own opening kick off to us. We fumbled and they picked it up for the score.

Missouri
Least: 2017 (saying very, very little)

USC
Favorite: 2010 SECC
Least: 2010 regular season

Tennessee
Favorite: 2004 SECC
Least: 1999

Texas A&M
Least: The butt fumble

Vanderbilt
Favorite: None
Least: any time they've lost to Vandy

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

MSU
Least: Whatever year it was when they scored on their own opening kick off to us. We fumbled and they picked it up for the score.

No time to go through the whole exercise, but here are a few that deserve note:

Favorite

LSU: 1994... the interception game. There's nothing like beating a rival by capitalizing on their mistakes.

bama: 2002... beating your rival, who significantly out ranks you, in their house, with a back-up fullback and a 3rd string running back who gashes them for 126 yards.

Least favorite

UGA: 1992... stupid refs let them lie on the ball at the goal line and don't stop the clock, so we can't get our final play off which would have won the game, since they weren't stopping Bostic.

And even though they aren't our rival, I can't help but mention USC west 2003. We were expected to do great things in 2003 and instead got our butts handed to us in our house. To make matters worse, I had made the trip from Kansas to watch the game and got to broil in 90+ degree temps the nosebleed seats of Jordan Hare while the massacre happened below me.

With all respect to the kick six I gotta say the CamBack May be the greatest Iron Bowl ever. It looked like Bama was going to embarrass Auburn in Tuscaloosa that day.  The way the team fought back and went on to the championship tops anything in 2013 for me.  Also remember all the pregame stuff in 2010 with Cam and the music being played.  

Other top SEC games

2017, 2004, 2005 UGA

2014, 2004, 1994 LSU 

2004 UT

2002, 2007, 1994 UF

Worst

2008 & 2012 Iron Bowls.  Both completely embarrassing 

2006 Arkansas- Damn you Gus!  Lots of ugly games when Tubs was coach against Arky.

2006 UGA- Auburn could have played for the natty.  UGA was a 500 team.  Cox implosion

2003 Ole Miss - dropped a pass in the end zone.

Archived